Beach Cottage Flowers and Floristry

Mon 3rd, Aug, 2015

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

hand tied posy flowers a beach cottage blog

Hello, happy Monday, phew busy weekend of painting and DIY – am in the Summer Room, the sun is shining and I’ve been on a nice long walk with Barls and mr bc this morning down by the sea…feels like Winter is on the way out…had a couple of nice warm days here and it’s feeling very very welcome.

Right now we have one cold tap in the whole of house, that would be the shower tap…we are also down to one toilet that doesn’t really work that well, have had no electricity all morning and have no working kitchen…am strangely calm about the whole thing (won’t last).   However we do have some of the kitchen units painted (white) and in position and awaiting the plumber (he’s good) tomorrow.  Today is electricians in the bathrooms.

In spite of all that there are flowers.  Flower always brighten one’s life do they not?

a beach cottage hand tied posyThis is my first hand-tied posy (not as easy as it looks) – we were supplied everything so I couldn’t choose colours etc (lilac/purple my next least fave colour after orange, worse is that orangey purply red euuuuh) and spent a module of the course watching the tutor make building a hand-tied posy look very very easy.

floral posy a beach cottage

I’ve immediately realised in this course and what’s gone so far, that I like casual flowers and everything a bit more haphazard (like one’s brain) and although this is using the creative side it also requires much skill in design, symmetry etc.  Feel like am missing this lobe in brain but will continue on in search of new higher creative self.

Yes so this is the formal posy I made, but around and about I have been practising much less structured, more casual arrangements (see on instgram if interested).

I’ll be back with the kitchen progress.

Sarah x

hand tied posy flowers a beach cottage blog

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

10 Responses to “Beach Cottage Flowers and Floristry”

1. Anonymous says:

Life would be boring if you just created clones of what your tutor shows you. The florists’ work that I love the most is a little out there and above all, interesting.
    Cheers,

2. Jody says:

Very lovely, Sarah. And the paper cover rather reminds me of a kimono wrap. Very Asian.
    Whatever you do, haphazard or formal is always beautiful. Such talent.
    Your blog is such a breath of fresh air for me, love it….love You!
    xxoo jody

3. Tee says:

Hi Sarah, I absolutely love your day to day stories. One cold water tap! And in winter too! You are a trooper and doing an amazing job of seeing the positives. I love to hear of your kitchen and your cupboards sound great – can’t wait to see them all painted up. Your posy looks divine but I am so totally with you when it comes to the haphazard look where it doesn’t look structured, but looks like one has just picked the flowers and then plonked them in a jar(as I know you do) (and I tried that on the weekend with lots of positive remarks) well Sarah does it on her blog and it’s amazing so that’s where I got the idea from. Hall is now painted white and ohhh it is do much brighter! It’s like we doubled the wattage on our lightbulb! Even without light on the walls manage to glow. Such a nicer welcome and way more uplifting. Thank you so much for inspiring me to try white. Just loving the result! You are such a sweetie and I am not sure if I can mention how wonderful you are or not yet but let me tell you I soooooo appreciate it! You have me doing things out of my comfort zone and it is a very enjoyable journey even a little scary at times but it is all going well. I really think you could teach the floristry people a thing or two, about colours and how to “plonk flowers in a jam jar! You certainly have the Knack And natural talent! I love it, thanks once again dear Sarah
    Hugs
    Tee

4. Mb says:

I love LOVE the photo bombing Barls lolol

My sister took a florist course a couple years ago…..she had the same views on it you have…..too structured and formal.

Loosey goosey is the way to go i think.

Xoxmb

(1 cold water tap…….yikes!)

5. dolores says:

Sarah…..How beautifully natural…….just like you. Have not been receiving your updates via my e mail……am so sad. tried re subscribing , but it tells me i am already subscribed!!!!hope you can help me…..LOOOOOOVE you blog….it brightens my day….Blessings…..dolores

6. Marianne says:

I also don’t receive your updates despite trying every few weeks, response is that I’m already subscribing…hmmm…is there anything you can do from your end?

Love your white results on walls and furniture, have used your inspirations often with great results; thank you! You’re a busy woman and seem to be good at time management, something I’m working on! Great blog.

Marianne in Vancouver

7. Shannon says:

So pretty. You’ve inspired me to foof today.

8. Jenny says:

Lovely, fresh post as always, Sarah! It does make me think of a swan gliding peacefully over the water, while underneath the legs are going flat out! I’m sure the behind-the-scenes at BC2 are a different, more challenging picture! Hubby & I have been living in an ongoing reno for 13 months and it aint pretty! But your blog gives me hope :)
    For those with subscription issues, I did also. I think I finally fixed it by unsubscribing, then logging back onto the BC website to the newest post, scrolling down to the bottom of the comments, then ticking the box that says “Notify me of new posts by email” From memory, this is what worked for me.

9. Mog says:

Catching up on posts and pinning here. You did a lovely job. I agree on the orange but I do love the lilac color probably cause growing up, we had lilacs and wisteria and I have a particular fondness for them. I can’t grow them here in the Arizona desert.

Mind you it’s not my absolute favorite color but it’s hard to find turquoise flowers.