a diy table makeover before beach cottage two kitchen

Thu 5th, Feb, 2015

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

a beach cottage coastal vintage style blog table makeover abeachcottage.com

Hey beach cottage ladies, how you going – so this is the little table I was talking about, I love it.  I came across it a few months ago and to be honest stashed it under the house and forgot about it, well actually I didn’t forget about it, to be quite frank, I had nowhere really to put it and so I hid it with the other things I come across and rescue, but it was there in the back of my mind ready and waiting.   I couldn’t really leave it when I found it could I, I picked it up for pennies and knew it had my name for a beach cottage makeover all over it.

In Beach Cottage Two in the kitchen (haven’t shared pics of it yet, nothing spectacularly bad really if you kinda squint a bit and turn your head to the side and I am sure there are people who have inherited a whole lot worse, but omg so not pleasant either, will blog them soon) there is a lost and lonely space in the corner that was crying out for a little table even before the reno starts on the kitchen (that’s a bigger project needing planning permission).  I knew the round rescued table would look pretty darn dandy sitting in the light from one of the windows.

So, having to weigh up consequences of telling husband that have yet another table among possessions and having beauty of natural round table sitting in light of vintage window from 100 year old house, sucked it up and went for the latter.

And oh so glad I did.  I ********* love it.  Wahhhhhh.  Thrifter’s dance love it.

coastal decor beachy decorating a beach cottage blog table makeover diy before after

The pics are snaps from my phone but you can see that someone had the same idea of a makeover on this way earlier in the process than me but obviously didn’t get much further…the top has been stripped back to the natural wood (and I mean really raw if you get me) and it looks like it was left for dead half way through the restoration job as there are blobs of filler here and there and signs that it’s been repaired…the base however still has the mahogany varnish which is knocked and bumped and scuffed up…at one point I wondered if this was actually two old tables put together but after getting down on one’s hands and knees and examining underneath I’m not sure…there is something about how the top is fixed to the base though which doesn’t quite look right… love that too :)))

I’ve been going through a few options of what I am going to do with this – swinging wildly from chandeliers between stripping the base and then bleaching the whole thing and leaving it all natural, bleaching the top and painting the base in a chalk paint in either a cool grey or a more Frenchy-Ochre I’ve-Never-Been-to-Paris-but-Pretend-I-have-Muted-Kinda-Grey (not that I haven’t been to Paris, I have many times, but you know what I mean) or sanding it down as it is and doing a rustic-y not muchy to it at all thing….

Decisions, decisions – feel free to leave me your thoughts one and all.

Sarah x

a beach cottage coastal vintage style blog table makeover abeachcottage.com

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

21 Responses to “a diy table makeover before beach cottage two kitchen”

1. Helen says:

Hi Sarah
    Here’s my 2cents worth I love the contrast of a limed wood with the dark tone, but I think the base needs to loose the glossy look maybe just a dark wax finish there
    Regards
    Helen

• Sarah says:

mmm thanks Helen, I think the same too, the dark base is kinda nice and i don’t normally like that but I am erring towards grey paint x

2. Honeyaar says:

Mme beach cottage 2,

Muted grey Or
    Au naturale

Oui

Au revoir

3. Jenny says:

Hi Sarah, So love your writing style. I feel like I’m in the room with you and we are having a conversation about the wonderful table. My suggestion would be to loose the varnish on the base and give it a chalk paint cover, or leave the same as the top to weather.

4. Vicki says:

I vote for gray paint on the base. Top natural, except maybe a coat of something to protect it from too much staining (food spills etc).
    LOL about your hiding stuff under the house. I have to hide my new thrifting treasures in a small barn behind the stuff that I thrifted last year! Hoping my husband doesn’t look past the front row..

5. Oh my Lordy…the stashing of large-ish pieces of furniture can be tricky!! So sensible of you to purchase a second home to store it all in. Watcha doing with those floors lovely?? If white then I vote a raw table or vice versa…though I believe you’re like me and ask people’s opinions then do the exact opposite??!! ;)) xx

6. Lynne says:

Hi Sarah, I’d go grey or chalky white for the base and the top natural or limed with a sealer on.
    It fits well there near the window.

7. merilyn says:

great find! well done hun!
    perfect for that spot!
    love m:)X

8. rosie says:

Sarah… I’m a bit confused… do you still live at beach cottage (one) or have you sold it? and now live in beach cottage 2? I am trying to follow….honest!

9. Jo says:

I too am confused, and have asked the question before with no answer. Sarah – are you holding out on us for some reason? I love what you are doing with this house. I would also love to see more full room photos. It’s hard to have a perspective on room size etc when we just see little snippets. But it sure is looking great.

10. Rukmini Roy says:

i think a cool grey (which is the long paris sentence grey) will be really nice :D with all those wisteria and frangipani outside the window. My second choice would be bleach + chalk paint… going with who I have known you to be. Just to make matters more complicated. i hope this helped :P Love

11. Jody says:

You amaze me, repeat, YOU AMAZE ME!!!!!!!
    oxoxox jody/ fl / ky

12. shar y says:

I think a pale greyish aqua would be nice in some way.

Cute table!

Haven’t got a clue what would look best. I have total trust in you Sarah.

Cheers,

14. DeAna says:

since you’re asking…
    Well knowing me, I’d leave it the way it is simply because I wouldn’t be able to commit to changing it for at least a decade.
    that’s one of the many reasons why I tune in. Daily. For makeover inspiration.
    I’d love to see the bleaching thing.
    Yeah, do that. That’s my vote…

15. Sarah says:

I have just stripped back a baltic pine coffee table top to raw timber but struggled to remove the varnish from the rolled timber legs…….any suggestions?

• Sarah says:

I would bypass the stripping and try Zinsser No Stain primer – I haven’t found anything it doesn’t cover yet, hth x