beach cottage two summer room and deck

Tue 10th, Feb, 2015

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

a beach cottage coastal renovation outside paint colours deck abeachcottage.com blog

Hey beach cottage ladies, just popping in on a lovely warm sunny Sydney day to share some pics of the Power of Paint Beach Cottage style.

So we started the painting on the exterior of the house this week and I have to say that I’m gobsmacked at how different it’s looking already even without any actual paint yet – just with a layer of undercoat…when we first viewed the house, apart from the things we didn’t know about which were concealed by the Shifty Solicitor, there were a whole lot of different styles going on….and lots of different colours, not just the grim nicotine yellowy cream to the interior, but outside grimy greys, terracotta, a faded old green, rusty brick reds, yellows…it’s almost as if someone who chose the colour of things was deliberately trying to make things look bad…it didn’t take much to work out that painting it all in a few complimentary neutrals would unify the whole look…in my eyes a coat of paint would give it a classic heritage beach house feel…

before

a beach cotttage deck diy renovation fixer upper

after primer

And that look I had in my mind started to form once the undercoat went on and already it’s so much better.

Here’s the outside of the summer room area undercoated in primer (more before pics and the deck are here)…I’m thinking it looks amazingly different already…I can at last see it coming together…are you seeing that too?

Initially I was going for full white for the outside of the house with charcoal accents like the gutters, front door, gates, driveway etc – the main reason for all white being to pull together some of the colours I was talking about above that can’t be changed easily (like the roof), however I have been swinging wildly today between a pale grey on the exterior walls and brickwork with heritage white windows (I think the grey will make the french windows pop) and charcoal accents and the other choice being all white…I have to decide by tomorrow morning and now I have the agonising decision of which way to go (yes I know first world problems, I’ve had much worse things to lose a night’s sleep over I can tell you)…we all know I love white, but I’m thinking firstly it will be too blinding (you can see how strong the sun is) and secondly all white doesn’t lend itself to the heritage side of the house if you see what I mean, whereas the heritage grey I like obviously does…

The other option is a darker grey on the walls and bricks and everything else in different shades of white…

I am going to go and make a cup of afternoon tea and go and sit down on the drive and keep looking, it’s going to be an expensive mistake if I get it wrong.

Adios amigos.

Sarah x

p.s. you can find all the Beach Cottage Two posts, befores/afters etc over here xx

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

22 Responses to “beach cottage two summer room and deck”

1. Neen says:

oooooh go with your gut……or grey !! Lol!! Sleep well ;0 Neen-of-no-idea-how-to-decide.

2. Jenny Bowman says:

It’s certainly coming along and I know exactly what you are going through making such a huge(and expensive) decision, but I agree that with your bright light the white may be a little overpowering. The pale grey with your charcoal accents and white window frames sounds absolutely beautiful, and I think in keeping with the age and charm of your building. Good Luck with the decision. I am certain you will get it right.

3. Julie B says:

It’s looking absolutely fantastic! Well done :)
    The white is very bright, wish you could do a ‘try before you buy’ with the heritage grey eh? I’m sure whatever you choose will look gorgeous though.
    And a big YES to the wood burning stoves!! I am very jealous, am desperate for a fire but lacking a chimney… it’s on my wish list so I will enjoy it vicariously through you. Happy painting

Julie x

Any chance you’ll move into this house?

5. Vicki says:

I agree, 100% white might be a bit stark with all that intense sun. What color is your roof? I see a line of terracotta color in the photo. For me, roof color is an important factor in choosing a paint color for the exterior of the house. Oh, and the wood deck makes the back yard so much better!

• Sarah says:

Vicki we are replacing the roof soon so that’s not really too much of an issue, I will either go pale or very dark colorbond x

6. DeAna says:

Isn’t that what they make sunglasses for?

I know (white) you’ll pick (white) just the right (white) color for your (white) BCII.

xx

7. Karen BC says:

oh yeah, the power of paint! Looking so much better and I’m sure whatever grey or white you decide will be lovely. On the charcoal accents: unlike your front door or gates, guttering isn’t an architectural accent and in my books is therefore best painted to blend in with the walls or roof so it’s less noticeable. Good luck!

8. merilyn says:

absolutely coming together hun!
    it’s super! love it all! and working like beavers!
    cheers to you guys! love m:)X

9. Kylie says:

Absolutely love the beach cottage 2, I’m extremely jealous & have been dreaming of our next project. We’ve just finished our Queenlander & we painted the exterior light grey with white windows, doors & trims. It looks fresh, clean & classic.

10. Its so gorgeous Sarah! Love it and am excited for you!
    Cant wait to see what you decide. Im sure it will be lovely.
    Blessings!

All my heart,
    Deborah xo

11. Rukmini Roy says:

Man! You are like a renovation Ninja. How sweeet is the deck looking…and its just a week ago that it looked like any other backyard.

12. Mb says:

Hey!!

Haven’t been posting but lurking just the same.

It is minus30 here…..the plows are running out of room to pile the snow….all our parking lots are getting smaller as we have gigantic mountains of the white stuff piled sky high.

And i have kept what little sunloving sanity i have left….by gazing longingly at your BCII. And the blueberries on the beach. And the flowers. And Barls.

Tyvm Sarah……there’s hope for an early spring here in oh canada!!

Give Barley a pat for me,

Xoxmb

13. janita says:

Looks like a totally different house . Wow! Can you come and do some of your magic on my house pretty please. XO
    Janita

14. Beachgirl says:

Hi Sarah
    Loving your new project!
    Can you please let us know what finish you decide to do on your new deck?
    Was the BC1 deck finish which didn’t work out well a Cutek product by any chance?
    Thanks in advance