beach cottage II family room

Mon 2nd, Feb, 2015

299 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 299 Buffer 0 299 Flares ×

a beach cottage blog coastal beachy vintage decorating decor makeover abeachcottage.com

G’day from the new grey paint and lovely white windows of beach cottage land number two…man it feels really good to have one room finished…well it’s not quite finished but it’s passable – still have the fireplace to open up and pop in a working fire (we’ve had the chimney man in and it’s do-able to get the chimney working again so we are dreaming of real deal fire in here….though have to say the gas alternatives are pretty attractive too these days in their ease of use – i.e. bend down, or not, and turn on, as opposed to, you know, wood and coal and dirt and dust and stuff).

a beach cottage blog coastal decorating vintage decor nautical abeachcottage.com

We still have to re-wire some of it in here and do the floors (they will eventually be going white-ish or natural, at the mo’ they are varnished) but all in all it’s good in here now.  Have to say though it needs some  s e r i o u s  foofing – this poor old girl has had a mahusive lack of foofing in her life for the last 25 years or so I reckon.

coastal vinage style decorating renovation diy beachy paint makeover abeachcottage.com blog

I know I have said it before but paint is truly transformational – and not a lot of work to do it – when we looked at this house we could immediately tell it had the potential to be completely different just with paint – that’s what we’ve always looked for in doer-uppers, being able to make things look different without too much work (who am I kidding my legs, shoot my whole body is telling me this is a lot of work man)…also I guess it’s easy to say a new look is not too much work when the look you are going for is pretty simple…obviously if you wanted a modern, open-plan up to the minute caesar stone worktops, downlighted ceilings and one of those floating perspex fireplaces kinda look in here, a 100 yr old fixer upper like this one is going to give you work on a whole other level…but stripped floors, played up vintage features, plain walls, lots of white, vintage furniture and laid-back styling is the ball game I like to play and this place lent itself to that so well….

And with that and a tin of white paint, I am off, off to pop a one-pot dinner on, take Barls out for a walk, get to work with a bit more painting, maybe some foofing and talk to the builder about the ripping out of the old family bathroom plus en-suite and the installing of new ones.

Adios amigos.

24 Responses to “beach cottage II family room”

1. Jan Withers says:

Sarah I’m loving your new posts on the new beach cottage. Just love your style so much. Is this going to be Beach Cottage number 2? You are my hero!! Always love it when I see your emails, Facebook posts and Instagram. Have had so many of your pics on my screensaver over the years!

2. Ooohh the grey turned out quite lurvelly didn’t it?! Love the idea of raw timber floors…constantly looking at mine and itch to grab a sander!!! High fives lovely!! Xx

3. Sue Mahaffie says:

Beautiful!!!!! love the grey and white – so fresh !!
    Whats the name of the grey ? might do something similar at my place …
    Sue xx

4. Fleur says:

Loving it Sarah!
    Are you living there yet? The UK has some amazing options for gas fireplaces, here i’ve not been so inspired so interested to see what you choose. We have the space to put one in and every winter I scroll through endless Pinterest pics of fireplaces. Our cold season here only runs for a few weeks so but the time I’ve thought about it, it gets warm again!

Lots of love xx

5. Just gorgeous! So fresh and inviting x

6. DeAna says:

I’m loving it! Can’t wait to hear (read) all the house specs.
    YOU ROCK!

7. Rukmini Roy says:

Preety preety preety….I see Barley has quite familiarized himself with bcII ;)

8. I feel your pain hun. I too am aching from head to toe from painting all weekend. One room down – the rest of the house to go. It is nice to know I am in good company though and your room looks fabulous…. as I knew it would ;) xx

9. Claire says:

Beautiful Sarah! That grey is gorgeous, do you mind sharing what colour it is? Pretty pleeeease

10. merilyn says:

it really is being transformed before our eyes sarah!
    it already has your stamp hun!
    good one! … barls looks so much at home today!
    I thought he had a doyley on his head! had to grab my glasses! his curls! gorgeous! lol m:)X

11. Germaine says:

Hello Sarah – it is looking fab. I recently went down the natural fireplace versus gas and as one Dettol queen to another – look closely at JetMaster. No mess!!

Noice. Keep it up.

13. Jenny says:

Big project, but so worth it!

14. Etta says:

We live a 70 year old cottage very similar to this one I think. We have a build-in fireplace and the previous owners had a Coonara installed inside it. Very cosy and nice even if it is more work than a gas fireplace. And the house stays warm for a long time after we go to bed at night. All our timber railing and doors are still dark and the house looks so somber, can’t wait to paint it all white! Love to see what a transformation a lick of paint can do!

• Sarah says:

it’s amazing what the paint has done, I had my reservations that the dingy darkness would ever go but just painting has changed a lot…will not need as many skylights as we first thought…

good luck painting and thanks for the fireplace tip, I think we are going for one of those after speaking to the fire man x

15. janita says:

Except for all the elbow grease involved, I am green with envy. It looks to have so much character. It is going to be lovely with your sweet touch. Thanks for sharing the journey. Janita