Slow Cooker Easy Tomato Soup

Tue 18th, Nov, 2014

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 1 1 Flares ×

easy tomato soup abeachcottage.com simple soup recipe

Helloooo, back to the soup series and easy soup recipes from the plastic sleeve living in my junk drawer – now are you ready for the easiest homemade tomato soup in the world ever, are you ready to woo the world with your culinary delights by opening a few cartons and taking off a few lids?  Strap yourself in and come on down.

This my friends was a little note of a recipe on a scrappy bit of paper in the plastic sleeve which has been travelling with me since Honeymoon Baby came into my world…as you know this little sleeve was lost at the back of the drawer in the kitchen for a while but has recently come to life…

So this soup was entitled on the scrap of paper Easy Italian Tomato Soup, I have no idea to the authenticity of this, not having eaten tomato soup in Italy, so I am presuming I made this up in the days when I was living in the heart of England going about my daily stuff with a baby but daydreaming of life in the Umbrian countryside, or perhaps the hills of Provence.  Whichever it was there was a market basket on my arm, linen on my legs.

Anyhoo I quickly scanned this the other day and was very surprised at how darn easy it is and more surprised that I haven’t made this for a long time, to be quite frank I am not sure if I remember making it at all, but by the evidence on the paper (splashes of tomato) I am assuming I did.

italian tomato soup

Scrawled on this was that baby at the time (who is now 6ft 1″) was not impressed with this offering but adults were, so the other day, when to be honest I was opening and closing cupboards in the kitchen wondering what on earth would feed the masses that night, I thought I would give Easy Italian Tomato Soup a go.

The rest is history, let’s just say I will be putting this on the menu a lot.

Easy Tomato Soup Recipe

2 onions finely chopped  (or use a cup or so of ready sliced frozen onions)

1 bottle Passatta

6 cups vegetable stock

1 handful garden herbs (I used Basil, Oregano, thyme  and parsley or just use mixed dried herbs)

grated Parmesan to top (or any strong cheese)

1. pop all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high 5 hours or low all day

or

1. sweat off onions until soft, add tomato, herbs and stock and simmer for at least an hour

2. blend to smooth, add sour cream or cream if you like

3. serve topped with cheese and crusty bread

I hope you like it, this has to be the easiest tomato soup in the world ever…and it’s healthy, tasty and very good on the pocket.

Let me know if you make it and thanks to all those lately who have left me little comments if they have made the recipes on here, I love hearing how you went with a recipe…

Adios

S

easy tomato soup abeachcottage.com simple soup recipe

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 1 1 Flares ×

10 Responses to “Slow Cooker Easy Tomato Soup”

1. Aisling says:

Great recipe to try thanks sarah! The only herb that grows on my seaside is italian parsley but I have some basil on the windowsill…

Aisling

2. Lynn says:

What is Passatta?

3. janita says:

It looks yummy Sarah. Today I bought some fancy Pomi brand chopped tomatoes…. It says from 100% fresh Italian tomatoes……Made in Italy. Hope it compares to your Patassi. Giving the recipe a whirl this week and I plan to eat the whole pot myself :) As I am doubting Husband will think it looks delicious. He is not really a tomato lover. Will see if my grandchildren like it as they like tomato soup. Winter is in full force here already. NEED SOUP :) to warm me up! Keep the soup recipes coming! Take care. Janita

4. janita says:

OOPS…… make that Passatta
    Janita

5. Mary P says:

Sarah, I would like to try this recipe. How many cups or fluid ounces are in a bottle of Passatta? Would substituting tomato sauce work?

Love the pictures of your flowers and beaches. An update on the new beach cottage please!

• Sarah says:

Hi Mary

The bottles I use are c 700g – I think this would be a couple of cups – I think tomato sauce might be too ‘strong’, I think I would sub with a couple of tins of tomatoes and some tomato paste. Let me know if you try it xx

6. merilyn says:

thanks sarah! looks gorgeous the red and the white X
    when the weather is cool, I love a lovely rich Italian tomato soup! with parmesan and that basil … it’s the business! my basil plants have disappeared I had 15 babies and the next day 2 were left! over it … b snails or somethings! … they have to eat too! lol m:)X

• Sarah says:

oh no, I am sad about your basil, that happened to me overnight with lots of plants, we think it was rabbits, now we have the area fenced off with gardening mesh and the plants are going crazy!

7. Lesley says:

It’s starting to chill here in SoCal.. In the 60s (F), brr. Heavy sweater time! We don’t find Passata here in the US, in fact I had to google it to find out what it is! I make a lovely creamy tomato soup on the stove, no need for a slow cooker. Onions to start, then a 28 oz can of Muir Glen tomatoes, and I add chicken broth and basil leaves, then a half pint of cream and after a bit use the immersion blender to mix it smooth. A garnish of chopped basil and Gorgonzola is delicious, as is a quartered grilled cheese sandwich!!!