Beach Cottage on Tour Snapshots of Melbourne

Sun 25th, May, 2014

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

(pics courtesy my 5th child aka my iPhone5)

Well, you know what I’ll always be a Sydney-sider Pommie, man you can’t get many places in the world better to live than Sydney and the beach…but me oh my this little Pommie just got her eyes opened wide to a whole new Australia.  Bring that right on.

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

You see I’ve been on a little break away to Melbourne and from now on though, known in my head affectionately as Melbs.

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

Melbs I think you and I are going to have a very very very good relationship.

Processed with VSCOcam with g3 preset

So you see I have been to Melbourne a couple of times before this, and though this trip was not entirely for pleasure (and in some parts extremely emotional and still involving aftermath of the accident), the other trips I saw Melbourne out the window of a taxi or hotel and in brief snatches and on one trip through extremely sleep deprived by a snorer and no not my husband’s eyes, but this time I got to go out and do my thing.  On my own.

And that for me means walking, exploring and looking at buildings mostly, which when travelling with other people, can get seriously boring and tiring for them, so when I am on my own in a new city I take the opportunity to do exactly what I want.  Hello parks and botanical gardens.  Hello museums.  Hello old train stations.

abeachcottage abeachcottage abeachcottage abeachcottage

I pretty much loved wondering around Melbourne.

I have to say too I already pretty much loved Australia to the moon and back…if you’ve read more than a couple of my posts, you’ll know that I think this place down under is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread, they don’t call it the Lucky Country for nothing.  It’s the mutts nuts.

And although I have at my fingertips the delights of Sydney, its amazing climate, the coast, the sea, the outdoor lifestyle, there was something missing.  I didn’t even know there was something missing, until this trip, until I spent a few days wrapped up in the delight that is Melbourne

But Melbs has filled a little gap for me – vibrant, interesting, full of history, the people are different, the architecture a weird blended mix of old and new, the gorgeous river…it’s another side of Australia, a beautiful, breathtaking and buzzy side of Australia I cannot ******* wait to explore more.

So these are a few pics of Melbourne through my eyes.

Australia, could you have really become any better?

Oh my you just did.

I’m coming back.

S

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

23 Responses to “Beach Cottage on Tour Snapshots of Melbourne”

1. Rachel Clark says:

I’m so glad you enjoyed your trip to Melbs! It definitely is a great city…& it’s not even my own! I’ve been here for 3 1/2 years, and am still discovering treasures in the city. Tons of great food & shows & shopping! Going back to laid back San Diego California in December & will miss Melbs!

2. merilyn says:

hello sarah!!! great memory pics! … I knew you’d love melbourne in autumn, especially beautiful!
    there is a marked difference … it’s a culture and character city!
    I lived and explored there when I was in my 20′s and
    absolutely loved it!
    do not love their weather though!
    love m:)X

3. As a born and bred Victorian it’s so lovely to hear your take on Melbourne…I love her too!! xx

4. Nola says:

My sister lives in a Melbourne and we go every year( can’t wait for September ) and I love it so much there is so much to see and do. Always bring back some great stuff from Melbourne!

5. Neen says:

The mutts nuts …..the Grand old Lady we call Melbourne would be most impressed !! LOL
    Autumn is the perfect weather to explore our capital city, leaves falling, City circle tram rattling along and oh my the buildings…hope you found some tiles in doorways ;)
    You have captured her perfectly. Lovely post Sarah, thankyou ;)

6. veggie mama says:

Welcome! She sure is a pretty city. I adore it.

PS how good is H&M!!

• Sarah says:

haha yes I have been waiting since I came to Australia for H&M – funny that you have to queue to get in it’s so popular
      xx

7. Kat says:

I love Melbourne too.
    Love hopping across from Tassie to visit my sister and her family who live there.
    Love the shopping and the cafe culture. Love that!!
    Your pictures sum it up so well and I think it is particularly lovely in autumn.

8. Kim says:

I so agree with you, Sarah. It’s a beauty of a place (for a city that is – I’m a country girl through and through). I only recently had my first proper Melbs visit and I really loved it – wandering around, old building upon old building. Just lovely:)

9. Julie says:

As a Melburnian I have to agree with you Sarah! But I must admit I have pangs of jealousy when I see photos of your beautiful blue Sydney sky – we do get a lot of grey skies down here. Lucky we make up for it in other ways! Absolutely loved your first photo of one of our old trams – what filter or app did you use to create that beautiful soft effect Sarah?

10. Kerri says:

Sarah, as a Melburnian who is now living in your Mother Land, I so enjoyed seeing those pictures of home but also felt a pang of sorrow!
    It is such a great city and I miss her dearly…..although I often think of you as I wander around the wonderful antique centres here and could buy everything as it is so cheap!!

11. DeAna says:

*sigh* I’m so jealous! I know I shouldn’t be, but…I am. gorgeous pics!

Someday…someday.

12. Lisa Mckenzie says:

I love the pictures you took in Melbourne they are beautiful and I’m glad you have some new memories …happy ones now xx

13. Anonymous says:

Hi Sarah, just caught up with your page on Melbs. I walked the streets for 15 years in my 30′s while working in city, & watched the recreation of the City Baths, Daimaru which has since closed Melbournce Central’s creation and the loop station from our office windows, she sure is a darling, not to mention the shoes/dinnersets/handbags I would haul home week after week and delights from the Vic Market all in my wicker trolley on the Metro trains. After relocating to the Peninsula – Sorrento & Portsea are must sees, now when I return to Melbs it is with the camera also, the graffitti lanes are awesome. Hope to see more of your lovelies.pps just came back from Palm Beach Oxford Street & Manly which left me licking my lips. Kathryn