latest beach cottage find, old fireplace surround

Mon 2nd, Dec, 2013

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

20131202-01-a-beach-cottage-blog-coastal-vintage-style-abeachcottage.com-thrifted-fireplace-surround

Well, it’s time for a Beach Cottage treasure hunting happy dance in this little corner of the web ladies, we haven’t had one for a while have we?

This caused a few raised eyebrows by the males in the house, who were sent to collect this baby and strap it to the roof of the car…

…who wants a fireplace surround when one doesn’t have an open fire and where the doors of one’s cottage for 9 months of the year are open and the climate is warm?

Well, that would be me.  Ha!

…to paint or not to paint that is the question??

x

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

19 Responses to “latest beach cottage find, old fireplace surround”

1. Slightlypottyclare says:

Paint it matt or chalk white and leave it where it is. How gorgeous to have a decorated mantel whilst eating your Christmas lunch on the deck !

2. Anonymous says:

I love it as is.

3. Oh she is positively begging to be painted in a lovely shade of B.C white surely?!?! I have been wanting one of these for ages to shove in my bedroom…nice score!! xx

4. sunny says:

Oh paint. White. Fast!

5. hrh Sarah says:

o wow, congrats on the great find! I’m all for painting it…

6. kerrie says:

I would paint it white.

7. Marina says:

Wow, I’m looking for one of this by time, I’d use it ……..here it’s snowing…….. However white, chalk white, wonderful !!! A brrrrrrrrrrr…… from Verona (Italy) . Marina

8. Honeyaar says:

Ooh La La Mme Beach Cottage!!!!!
    Oui Paint or lime wash zee mantel piece. Eet is tres chic!
    Well done!!! ;-)))

9. merilyn says:

good find sarah! it’s a keeper!
    I think to tatty it up just a bit otherwise looks a bit too perfect because it is!
    yeh, i’d put maybe a sort of lime wash on it so you can still see through to the timber … not a paint job to totally hide that beautiful timber … then it is a contrast to your solid whites … whatever … it’s lovely! lol m:)x

10. Narelle says:

ooh nice pick up Sarah!! I have wanted one as a fake mantel for years. It looks in good nick as is, but a lovely shade of faded white would also suit it down to a T. Tough decision. Can’t wait to see the result… Narelle

11. Waiting impatiently for your decision. I found one two years ago and I’m still unsure as to whether to paint it or not. The room hasn’t been fully renovated though, so it’s hard to take a decision.

12. lizzie says:

I live in Queensland, its hot and we don’t have open fires, but I do have two fireplace surrounds, one in my lounge and the other in my bedroom, I have painted them white and have so much fun decorating them, especially at Christmas time. Can’t wait to see what you do with yours. Lizzie

13. jody says:

Lucky lucky girl! You will have a blast with this piece!

14. Elaine in Laguna says:

Beautiful! Whitewash so wood will so through! Great score! Males will appreciate when finished, placed and decorated in BC holiday style!

15. andrée says:

Bravo ! vous avez ENCORE trouvé un trésor !! pour la décoration de Noël ,ce sera parfait ! cordialement .

16. Sarah says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and say paint it – BLUE. Either a bright tropical blue or a pale almost white blue. It is gorgeous and wonderful and I envy you. I saw one at a used furniture store recently, and it was just too pricey for me, and I have no where to put it and I got crazy looks fro even thinking of it, but I might sneak back and get it, you have inspired me. :-)

17. Lassiegirl says:

I think it would really look beautiful as is against the white walls. We will be using our fireplace soon as the first snow is due to arrive Thursday (Broken Arrow, OK). One of the things I HAD to have when buying a home was a fireplace/mantle. The mantle, however, when we bought the house was stained a very dark cherry and didn’t go with our warm oak or med. walnut furniture, so I did a DIY and at first, my husband, considered my effort a disaster because bleaching a dark stain is difficult. Then, there was a lot of sanding. Turns out that what I got I was not trying for but now love and makes it unique amongst other mantles. In the grooves of the wood I couldn’t get the stain as light as other surfaces, but in the end, it gave it a well worn, colonial look and everyone always comments on how unusual it is and pretty. DIY disaster to DIY success…a very happy, lucky DIY result :)

18. Lisa Mckenzie says:

That is lovely Sarah i understand why the husband was not Best pleased but i do understand why you were:) I would either distress it or lime wash it with white xx