THANKSGIVING How to Make Pumpkin Pie

Fri 22nd, Nov, 2013

19 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 19 Buffer 0 19 Flares ×

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Good morning from the lucky country and today we are talking Thanksgiving…I love the premise of this holiday, though for sure I’m a novice, I love the idea of celebrating gratitude and giving thanks has been huge since we made the big leap of faith to move to the other side of the world, so today here with a recipe for pumpkin pie, really more a How to Make Pumpkin Pie from scratch.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Handing you over to the lovely Catherine at The Spring Blog with her mum’s pumkin pie recipe, how cool is that?

Hello Beach Cottage Ladies! I’m back today and I’ve brought more pumpkins with me!

In honour of American Thanksgiving (it’s coming up on November 25th though we Canadians had ours earlier in October) I thought the sweetest way to show my appreciation to Sarah and all you lovely readers for welcoming me into your Beach Cottage community would be to share something very special and close to my heart. So in the spirit of celebrating family, friends, gratitude, and really good food, I’m so excited to pass on to you my mom’s recipe for the perfect pumpkin pie with maple whipped cream.

This post is all about how to make pumpkin pie entirely from scratch… And now I have to be honest and tell you that this isn’t exactly how we make it at home. I’ve had to tweak the recipe a little since moving to Australia because (a) I don’t think Aussie supermarket ready-roll pastry is as nice as the Tenderflake we get back home, and (b) here the tinned pumpkin we’d use costs its weight in gold. But the bit of extra work it takes without our usual shortcuts is still well worth the effort. And seeing as I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t like this pumpkin pie in particular, I hope you’ll give my family recipe a go whether it’s one of your festive traditions or not.

20131122-03-how-to-make-pumpkin-pie-abeachcottage

How to Make A Pumpkin Pie Entirely From Scratch

1. Stew The Pumpkin

Peel and dice half a jarendale pumpkin (the deepest orange one you can find).
Microwave the pumpkin pieces in a large covered bowl for 20 minutes.
Tip cooked pumpkin into a large metal mesh sieve or wrap in cheesecloth, mash it down to release excess water.
Leave to cool and drain further in the fridge.
2. Make The Pastry

200g flour
a pinch of salt
100g cold butter
2tbs iced water

First make sure all ingregients and mixing bowls are chilled.

In a food processor pulse 200g flour, a pinch of salt, and 100g cold butter until the mixture resembles the texture of fine breadcrumbs.

Tip the mixture into a chilled bowl, make a well in the centre and add about 2tbs ice water. Stir first with a knife then use your fingers to bring the pastry together into a solid ball.

Wrap the pastry tightly in cling flim and leave it to relax in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before rolling out on a well floured board.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

3. Assemble The filling

1 1/2 cup cooled pumpkin mash
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

In a food processor or with a wooden spoon, beat all the ingredients together until smooth. It’ll be really runny, but that’s just right.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

4. Assemble and Bake The Pie

Pre-heat the oven to 230C (450F).
Roll out the pastry, place in the dish and flute the edges with your fingers like this.
Pour in the filling and place in the oven for 20 minutes
Turn the oven down to 180C (350F) and bake for another 25 minutes.
Take the pie out of the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
5. Whip The Maple Cream

Pour a small container of whipping cream and 2tbs maple syrup into a chilled bowl. Wisk until soft peaks form.
Serve with the pie once it’s cooled to room temperature.

I hope you enjoyed this…I’d love to have a go at this, ummm you already know my ahem pastry making skills but I am going to crank up that blue contraption on my counter and give it a whirl

That’s it from us, thanks ladies, over and out from Thanksgiving Down Under

p.s. Love Your Christmas Home Day 8 coming up, get ready to get this festive season pretty….if you missed any days go here for links to all of the missions so far xoxo

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

19 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 19 Buffer 0 19 Flares ×

20 Responses to “THANKSGIVING How to Make Pumpkin Pie”

1. Kim says:

Excuse me Sarah … but what country do you actually think you are living in? This is Australia not the f’n US of A!

G’day Kim

Thanks so much, have a beautiful day now lovely:-)))

• Lassiegirl says:

First of all, to the blog troll, the Thanksgiving holiday is a day of thanks to God, therefore it is not bound by a country and can be celebrated anywhere in the world. Secondly, as an American, that is just offensive and I don’t think it represents the feelings of most Australians. Thank you Sarah, for all the sharing of peace and goodwill that you do. Happy Thanksgiving, world :)

thanks very much appreciated for your lovely comment – I feel the same way about Thanksgiving and other Australians :-) xx

2. [...] Because the flavour of pumpkin spice really is all it’s cracked up to be… And because that’s true whether you were raised with it or not… I’m back with another too-good-to-be-saved-just-for-Thanksgiving themed treat over at A Beach Cottage today. My Ma’s own recipe for how to make a pumpkin pie entirely from scratch is a real family heirloom and one that feels like an act of devotion every time I bake it, which is often as I’ve yet to find anyone (North American or otherwise) who doesn’t think it’s completely delish. For all the instructions, including how to stew your pumpkin, make the perfect crust, and whip up the best pumpkin pie you’ve ever tasted, read on here. [...]

3. merilyn says:

thankyou sarah and Katherine!
    there is always something to be thankful for and gratitude is an attitude which
    helps ones spirit … if we were all a little bit more mindful of this, we wouldn’t have to be remided … gratitude is my attitude for all of the lovely things you inspire us with … love m:)x

4. Twexploits says:

Your blog touches the lives of people around the globe. It’s endearing and inspiring to dream of France and Italy, New York City and Bali. For readers who don’t have opportunity to travel, you blog allows them the opportunity to gain some insight into beautiful and interesting new places, and experience a bit of a different culinary culture. In the spirit of giving thanks – no matter where you are from – Thank you for sharing something a bit different today.

• Catherine says:

Thanks YOU so much for this comment… it really touched me… and reminded me about what I love most about blogging. The sharing of experiences with people who love what we do, from any corner of the world. x Catherine

5. Hi Sarah, my first comment on your blog:) I was born in the USA but immigrated here when l was two, so my upbringing was a mosh mash of both Australian and USA traditions. Whilst l’ve had many a Thanksgiving dinners pumpkin pie is something I’ve yet to try. Thanks to Catherine for Australian’ising the recipe for us. :-)

• Catherine says:

Hi Chrisy, Thanks so much for your comment! I hope you’ll enjoy giving the recipe a try – and let us know how you go! I think a mix of traditions is really nice, and in expat homes like ours, it’s just the way of life, right? x Catherine

6. Julie Johnson says:

I am from the US and our Thanksgiving is on the 28th of November this year, not the 25th. I think it’s great that you want to celebrate things that are good in your life in Australia and pumpkin pie has always been a favorite of mine. We have it every year.

7. Lisa Mckenzie says:

Lovely I have never tried pumkin pie but might make it one day xx

8. Aisling says:

I have never seen a recipe to make pumpkin pie from scratch – definitely on the to-do list – Thanks Sarah and Catherine!!

9. Kim says:

Dear all on this Thanksgiving post … I sincerely apologise for my comment … I will make no excuses for my error in judgement … I was way out of line … bad day / moment does not give me the right to speak out in such a manner. Hope you can all forgive me. Kind regards K

thanks Kim

I don’t have the right words to say for what you are going through at the moment, hopefully it will get easier

Sarah :)

10. Catherine says:

I know Australian’s don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, but pumpkin pie is still delicious and you can enjoy it any time you like. I always make it for birthdays in my family here in Brisbane, because everyone loves it so much. I hope you’ll give it a try! x Catherine