Beach Cottage Deck Progress, it’s gone from yellow to shiny blue

Wed 6th, Nov, 2013

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 Buffer 0 2 Flares ×

20131106-01-coastal-beach-house-deck-makeover-abeachcottage.com_

Soooo here’s an update on the patchy deck, with pics from my phone, I couldn’t stomach getting the big girl’s camera on this one yet… I realised that it’s been a while since I’ve showed you what’s been going on out here and  I have had a few reader questions on this and how it’s been going.  Hmmm, well the actual build of the deck is great, lovely in fact and is proving to be additional living space to this small cottage.  However it’s not been plain sailing with this one…

I have to tell you that while I’m loving it, we made a huge huge mistake with the oiling of this deck in a natural colour, which turned out to be naturally bright yellow (have a look here if you missed it and see the awful yellow oil that was supposed to be natural with no colour).   One thing I don’t want in my life is a mahusive bright yellow deck, I’m thinking you might not need me to tell you that.

Soooooo after the first coat of oil and the disappointment we left it for a few weeks to settle down and see what happened, I had a feeling that it would fade pretty quickly being new wood and it did, but it still was far from the beachy coastal colour I had envisaged or the lovely grey pebble that I had had before on the old deck that I loved.  Big old sigh.  Both Mr Beach Cottage and I were pretty fed up about this to be honest, it was quite a big decision to get the deck done and it looked like we would be living with it like this for a while or painting it which was a big job.

And then we tried another stain.  And it got worse.

20131106-02-beach-cottage-coastal-decorating-blog-deck-makeover-abeachcottage.com-

This is a  stain / oil which turned out to be shiny silvery metallic blue and far from its name which is along the lines of driftwoody beach house – this above is after one coat…

You can see here how it dried.

20131106-03-beach-cottage-blog-coastal-decorating-deck-makeover-abeachcottage.com_

Oh my goodness!

Just to keep us on our toes though it dried differently on different areas of the deck, just so that it wasn’t uniformly patchy ;-)

20131106-04-deck-stain-for-coastal-beach-house-style-abeachcottage.com_

This is the deck floor before the blue silver stain but after the natural oil

20131106-05-beach-house-deck-

and after with one coat of everything…looking better in this photo (though not good!) than it did when looking at in the flesh

20131106-06-beach-house-style-deck-abeachcottage.com_2

this is after two coats over the patchy bit with the oceany driftwood colour (!)

have you ever seen shiny driftwood?

20131106-07-beach-cottage-coastal-decorating-deck-colour-stain-abeachcottage

Can I just say that the decking is not the only thing around here that is blue.

Cheerio, I would like to ask you if you see a solution but I think this one is time

It’s bye from me and bye from my shiny blue deck

(lastly here below is the next bit after two coats…we’ve now decided to call it a day for a month or so and see what happens, I’m hoping some serious fading will be going on in the next few weeks, we are going to put the furniture back and I am going to spend some time running up and down the deck to scuff it up a bit and foofing it up out here, which I think* will make it look a whole lot better, I’m hoping so anyway)

20131106-08-beach-cottage-blog-deck

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 Buffer 0 2 Flares ×

35 Responses to “Beach Cottage Deck Progress, it’s gone from yellow to shiny blue”

1. oh dear, how disappointing! I think you’ll have to paint it! or sand back and whitewash. hhhmn I feel your pain. I learned my lesson with that ‘colourless’ stuff, but mine is an easy sand back, plus I actually put some japan black in it to make it a bit grey.

2. shar y says:

Time will fade it, but wonder if a super powerful power-wash machine would help dull it down?

yes I thought that too, we’ve got one so I was thinking about doing it but we’ve moved some furniture back now and I’m hoping that it fades, it actually looks a lot better this afternoon than it did yday when I wrote the post!
      xx

3. julie says:

Hi Sarah,

Sorry about your deck – that must be really frustrating. I haven’t found a grey stain I liked yet – they’re always too blue or come out too blotchy. Coincidentally, I was having lunch and randomly decided to read this guys blog (anurbancottage.blogspot) right after I read yours and he was posting about different deck stains and how to get the look he wants. He had some pretty detailed photos of the different stains and tricks he tried out. I thought it might be helpful to you. It looks like his back deck also didn’t come out the way he wanted it to either so you’re not alone : )

thanks! yep I won’t be using stain again, I’ll probably just paint it in the end, which seems a shame :-)

4. Lucy says:

It looks like treated pine, is that what your deck is? With a clear oil, treated pine is naturally yellow. You can use a coloured stain by Cabots or Intergrain to make it look like teak or another type of timber, but I think for the look you want to achieve you’re better sanding it back and leaving it without anything and it will turn grey but unfortunately, it’ll take time.

yep we thought about sanding it back but went for the ‘beachy’ stain and instead – it’s actually looking a lot better today now the furniture is back on x

5. frenh film says:

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular article! It is the little changes that
    make the greatest changes. Many thanks for sharing!

6. What about asking the teenagers of the house to host a huge party on the deck? That might help with the un-shiny-fying it!

7. merilyn says:

g’day sarah! … trying isn’t it? to say the least, it’s a huge job.
    barls can’t figure it either!
    I don’t mind the colour … certainly better than the yellow and the transparency is good, it lightens it up! but why do they have to make them shiny … i’ll tell you … men are in charge of these products “talk to the wall!” … they didn’t hear the women on this one or many other things … anyway I loved your old deck I know that doesn’t help one little bit! … sorry… but sarah’s foofing will save the day … tricks of the eye rules! lol m:)x

I now I loved our old deck too – this was mainly mr bc’s idea in the first place which is not making me that happy lol lol!! I’m surprised today that it looks better already, the shining light seems to be fading which I am pretty surprised about b/c I was not impressed yday – I think getting some foot traffic out there (and Barls chasing the ball) might help x

8. Honeyaar says:

Oh dear Madame Beach Cottage,
    This too unsupportable! A deck that is shiny and blue no less!
    Not Good…..hmmmm
    Poor old Barls is perplexed and most unimpressed too!!

9. Sue P says:

Hi Sarah, I think the colour looks great – far better than the yellow – but I can understand your feelings on the shine. Let’s hope a bit of wear and tear will ‘weather’ it a bit.

Can’t believe how Barley has grown!

yes he has!! he’s much bigger than we thought he would be…but he’s hasn’t grown for a while now so think this is it!!!

10. Smaggle says:

I think it looks great! And I love your little puppy sticking his little in all the photos. :-)

11. Vicki says:

Sarah, Is the blue a Cabot oil stain? If so, based on my own experience ((kind of a lot) with staining wood, it looks like there was too much stain applied, thus the shiny surface. Does it seem slippery when wet? If so, that is a sign that extra stain is floating on the surface and hardened. You might be able to rough it up with a mouse/palm sander using a medium grit paper. There are also long handled tools available where the sand paper attaches to a pad and you simply sand it as if you are mopping! Completely sanding off new stain is extremely difficult, so my advice is to simply rough it up and let it be until next year when it has a chance to weather naturally a bit. I’m sorry you’re disappointed. Been there! Thus the “kind of a lot experience”. ;-)

sorry you’ve had the same experience!!!!

ummm it’s not slippery at all, in fact it’s quite different now even one day after taking these pics which has really surprised me plus a whole lot better now the furniture and bits are back on it.

oh thanks so much for that idea and the tool, I am going to give that a go – I’m actually standing out here and thinking that with some roughing up this could be a colour I like – it was mostly the silvery shine I didn’t like xx

12. marianne says:

Sarah, I also think you need to sand it off. Don’t keep putting more and more on in the hope of correcting it because the layers you already have on there will keep giving anything else you apply a different look than what the paint can promises. If I were you, I’d not wait another month but get to it right away; that way you are at least not looking at the uphappy results during your summer months. As the comment above from 10:41 says, at least try roughing/sanding most of it off and leave it for next year until it has weathered naturally. So sorry to hear of your dilemma.
    -Marianne in V.

thanks, yeah we are just going to leave it now anyway and see how it goes over the summer, it’s better already with the furniture on there….xx

13. I’m sorry…did you say something about a deck? Stain? I was far too busy wanting to pat that gorgeous pup!!!! xx (deck itself is fab…you’ll work the colour thing out I’m sure!!)

14. lizzie says:

Hi Sarah, disappointing when you don’t get the results you wanted, hopefully time will fix the problem and in the meantime once you have all the furniture in place and done your magic it will distract the eye.
    Lizzie

15. Sharon says:

Just wondering if you sanded off the first stain/oil before applying the blue one. If the wood has already drunk up some of the original oil, that could possibly be what is preventing the blue one from being evenly absorbed into the wood if you know what I mean. If you have it in you, maybe you could try sanding a little section back to raw wood and trying again with 2 coats of the blue stain to see if you like the results any better.

Poor thing. It stinks when a reno doesn’t go to plan. I am painting the outside of our house at the moment and I feel like it is fighting me the whole way!

16. Naomi says:

I feel your pain Sarah, we are renovating at the moment. It’s hard work and full of surprises, why can’t things just work out the first time?

17. Jennifer says:

two words – go white :)

18. BabBay says:

I DON’T EVEN HAVE A GARDEN!

I live in a flat! And this is why I want to move house but the husband don’t like the idea… I need a garden for me to chill out and get me some decking like yours so I can relax and get a nice tan in the summer :D

19. isabel says:

You know what? I like it. I think it will age gracefully, and the shine will be gone in no time.

20. Neen says:

Lets see some foofing ABC style, then I am sure we / you won’t notice the yellow/blue/shine ;) Neen

21. Petra says:

It’s certainly interesting-looking now but actually not that bad really! Looking forward to seeing photos of the furniture back on it. I reckon sand then paint it white but you may find after time this colour you’ve done will look better with age! Good luck!

22. Lisa Mckenzie says:

It looks lovely maybe not the perfect colour you were after but still lovely I am sure the good old sun will fade it and it will get better with time Sarah xx

23. Tanya says:

We just sanded our timber deck after 8 years wear and applied Cutek Oil in Grey Mist. It is exactly the tone you are searching for – white/grey wash and shows the timber off. Easy to use but just takes a few days to dry. Not sure if you can go over the oil you have already applied but might be a good product to keep in mind for next time.

Good Luck