Slow Cooker Crockpot Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup with Cream Cheese

Tue 8th, Oct, 2013

451 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 450 Buffer 1 451 Flares ×

20131008-01-slow-cooker-crockpot-easy-soup-recipe-abeachcottage.com-sweet-potato-easy-family-dinner

Good morning from a beautiful Spring day in Sydney, it’s been a little bit quiet here on the blog, I’ve been spending time with my family plus we’ve had the lurgy in this old cottage with 5 of us struck down with the latest virus to hit the Peninsula, only 1 of us got off without getting it and it has not been pretty with all the coughing, man-flu-ness, sniffing and spluttering going on.  I have then been making soup by the gallon and this one has a secret ingredient that I think may well have changed my soup making for like ever.

I am never more relaxed than when dinner is done and dusted in the slow cooker or soothingly bubbling away on the hob and when that is soup, even better…but soup with cream cheese, which I always think sounds like heaven in a food anyway, I mean cream + cheese, oh yeah, well it’s just like magic…with this recipe not only is there soup there is a beautiful heroine in the house.

20131008-02-easy-crockpot-soup-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

I have put cream cheese in chowder before, which reminds me to blog my chowder recipes, so love them, and in a few creamy casseroles but in a regular fall back sweet potato soup, I hadn’t thought of that before so…when googling recipes the other day I came across a green vegetable soup with cream cheese added through it for a rich flavour.

And oh my does this work, a regular soup which can be made very very simply and easily in the slow cooker crock pot or of course in a saucepan with, nearer the end of cooking cream cheese…delicious!

20131008-03-slow-cooker-soup-abeachcottage.com-sweet-potato-and-cream-cheese

Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup with Cream Cheese Recipe

1 can tomatoes

1 large sweet potato chopped

1 large onion finely chopped

5 cups stock

3 cloves garlic chopped

dash of vinegar

1/3 block cream cheese

salt and pepper

mixed herbs

olive

for slow cooker : throw all ingredients except cheese and olive oil in slow cooker on low all day or high 4 hours about half an hour before eating blend the soup and then add chopped cream cheese and mix well until heated through

for stove top

1. sweat onion sweet potato and garlic in a little olive oil

2. add all other ingredients except cheese and simmer

3. about half an hour before eating blend the soup and then add chopped cream cheese and mix well until heated through

20131008-04-how-to-make-crock-pot-slow-cooker-soup-abeachcottage.com-super-easy-sweet-potato-recipe-budget-friendly-and-simple-to-get-to-the-table-for-family-dinner-nights

OK, I’ll see you tomorrow, I have a furniture makeover to show you.

Sarah x

20131008-05-slow-cooker-crockpot-easy-soup-recipe-abeachcottage.com-sweet-potato-easy-family-dinner

15 Responses to “Slow Cooker Crockpot Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup with Cream Cheese”

To save on fat grams I mix Philli Light or Philli Extra Light in to my soups sometimes.

Cheers

thanks Alison, I can’t make myself like the ‘light’ but I have tried lol!

• alison says:

I’ve got this soup cooking away in my slow cooker today. The low fat cream cheese options are definitely harder to blend in and are an aquired taste.

• alison says:

I’ve tried the soup and it is delicious. I left out the mixed herbs but I added a dollop of Kraft Philadelphia Stir Through Cream for Pasta, “Tomato & Italian Herbs” flavour, when I blended a serving of the soup. YUMMO.

2. Emily says:

I have never used cream cheese in soup before! What a great idea for a creamy, thickened soup. Normally I just use a flour-and-butter roux to thicken it, but this probably adds a lot of flavor!

3. merilyn says:

oh sarah, that looks gorgeous!…
    far better than mag shots and I just love those colours together!
    lovely soup recipe and the cream cheese would make it so unctuous! … YUM!
    watch out though as dairy products can produce more mucous if you have a cold!
    thankyou … m:)x

4. Mog says:

Looks absolutely yummy, both the soup and the setting. Already pinned and shared with my daughter.

5. Jojo3b says:

Yum. Will give this a go. Hope everryone is feeling better. jojo :)

6. janita says:

In the crock pot at the moment…. smells yum- yum! I can hardly wait to eat it….. I can’t decide if I want to cook it on low or high. Just happened to have some sweet potatoes from my garden. Perfect for this:) Funny how the “bug” travels the world. We have the crud here too in U.S.A. Very contagious little bugger. Soup sounds like the perfect remedy for this home front to perk our spirits! Surely Cream cheese can cure anything :) Can you clarify the mixed spices. Is that something you buy already mixed? I added basil but it looks like mint and thyme in your lovely picture. I figured anything Italian goes with garlic and onion. Thanks for sharing your lovelies. Janita

7. janita says:

Ok I have eaten it …. Delicious with 1/2 tsp. basil leaves added and salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
    Thank you so much Sarah! It is a keeper :) Janita

8. Sharon says:

Thank you so much for your recipes Sarah. I am home alone this week and have gone down with an inconvenient dose of bronchitis. Needed something nutritious and comforting not to mention easy. Your recipe is now cooking nicely in the crockpot whilst I sit at my computer and feel slightly miserable. Cheers, :-) Sharon

oh dear, I hope you feel better – that was me a few weeks ago, soup got me through it and smoothies are making me alive again lol x

9. Mog says:

My daughter cooked it and shared some with me. It was delicious and the whole family loved it. We have an arrangement, I pin it then she makes it and gives me some. Keeps me from eating too much as if I make stuff, I tend to eat it all.