A Week of Beach Cottage Coastal Vintage Finds, Day One

Mon 28th, Oct, 2013

48 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 48 Buffer 0 48 Flares ×

20131028-01-beach-house-coastal-vintage-style-old-enamel-flour-tin-from-Belgium-abeachcottage.com-a-week-of-vintage-finds1

Morning to a week of Beach Cottage coastal vintage finds, I’ve been doing the thrifter’s dance this weekend, I can’t wait to show you all I’ve scored, I’m going to take great joy in photographing my bits and bobs for the blog this week…after a very very very long vintage treasure drought, I’ve had a boom.   I mean like a blooming humongous boom.  There is something white I’m going to show you soon I scored for the deal of the century.  You are gonna die.  hahaha

So this is my first one of the week…I found this old enamel Belgian flour container while out thrifting at the local beach-side flea market last weekend…to be honest I was not expecting to find anything, this drought has had me by the neck it seems.

20131028-03-old-finds-for-coastal-beachy-decor-vintage-style-abeachcottage.com_

When I first started looking for old things weathered by time back in the old country, it was so much fun, the thrill of the chase, the old stuff, the memories, the worn things, the old patinas…it lasted for a good few years in lovely Australia when we first moved here too and then all of a sudden thrifting got trendy and  I noticed a change  - in op-shopping, at goodwill, in the junk shops…the hipsters got hold of it and the tags started to change and say weird things….and other homey vintage loving bloggers I had got to know mentioned it too, this strange takeover of our secret little world.

So nowadays I vintage treasure hunt a lot less, but on a sunny Saturday morning when the flea-market is on in our little town and my daughter is up for looking for ‘fashion’ I happily tag along with a coffee and a basket, eyes open for my own little treasures…

20131028-02-beachhouse-decor-abeachcottage.com-vintage-flour-tin-a-week-of-vintage-finds-

I spied this vintage enamel tin from Belgian on a stall selling someone’s unwanted clothing and bits and bobs, I picked it up and asked the price, she told me, ooh you know it’s enamel they go for a lot nowadays, my heart sunk a bit, I felt like saying ummm we are standing in a school car park surrounded by your old shoes, anyway I took her home with me just because I loved…nothing like adding an old piece with that old faded patina to one’s collection to use for flowers…

And I’m thinking just right for coastal vintage style?

Sarah x

48 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 48 Buffer 0 48 Flares ×

12 Responses to “A Week of Beach Cottage Coastal Vintage Finds, Day One”

1. Neen says:

I had a little ‘find’ two weeks ago, tiny bottles just waiting for me at our local market……mmmmm.
    Looking forward to your treasures, ; Neen

2. Nice one!!! Look fwd to what else you’ve scored. Don’t you just love how the Vinnies of the world are suddenly “antique” businesses???!!? Heaven help you if you actually need to purchase from these stores because of financial reasons!! My faves are still the church fetes here…they just want to pass the stuff on at a reasonable rate to raise money for a good cause…kind of as it should be. Rant over…have a fab week lovely!! Xx

yes many of my local ones are more expensive than the mall – totally ridiculous and I wonder who actually buys the stuff nowadays xx

3. Scarlett says:

Rust can eat away at the metal and enamel causing it become flakey and powdery. To prevent rust from taking over and eventually destroying a piece of treasure, I brush on some Kurust which I get from the hardware store here in the UK. It literally “cures” the rust by stopping it in its tracks and oxidises it. My favourite chippy, rusty items are now safe. Thanks for sharing your wonderful Flour tin ;)

4. merilyn says:

good one sarah! … expensive then?
    yes how annoying that those charity organizations have put their prices up!
    I agree with Janelle [and by the way your mat looks good!]
    even on their clothes if the brand name is moderately known!!! or not!
    ridiculous! .. mind you I have done well in the past so “Me no complain” … besides I should be culling now … lol m :)x

5. It’s perfect! You did well saving it from all the old shoes surrounding it!

Sarah, can’t wait for the next instalments.

I scored an old wooden frame for $10 yesterday at my favourite markets. The stall holder pointed out the painting of purple irises in the frame was dated 1909 which I probably would have missed if it hadn’t been pointed out to me. Interestingly the painting is on metal. Does anyone know about the use of metal for a painting surface? Is it unusual? I bought it for the frame but have I bought an art work that will make me wealthy?? LOL

Cheers

7. You did the right thing (just in case you were re-thinking your decision) lol! Of course it was the right score! Love old and rusty stuff like that — especially for a flower pot. I need to show you the one I got at an antique mall. http://chocolateandsunshine.com/2013/10/03/afterkitchensummer-blues-golden-fall/
    I am certain you will agree we are on the same page with these things. Can I come to the other side of the world and go shopping with you soon? (I wish! My son went to Sydney & Melbourne a couple years ago for grad. school and loved Australia!) I’m pinning a photo now.

8. heather says:

Sarah, you’re bang on the buck with this one – and the trend! It’s sad when op shops start to upmarket junk with higher price tags. Insane, in fact! The very organisations who are supposed to support people in need, are now capitalising on this latest trend, and skyrocketing prices out of the reach of the ordinary man on the street. I guess they’re in it to win it these days, but who really benefits? During the Qld floods, people were scrambling to donate clothing, homewares and furniture to these organisations in the hope of them being passed on to affected households. We later discovered that they were being charged for that pleasure! Nowadays I’d advocate taking your stuff direct to the source of need. They’re not entirely to blame. It amuses (and angers) me sometimes when I see the well-heeled, soccer mum, cafe and fitness junkie brigade sifting through the bargain ‘junk’ on display in these op shops, as if their very life depends on scoring a real ‘bargain’! As if. (And they’re quite brutal about it too.) But, the biggest offenders are the dealers. They trawl the suburbs, acting like they’re just dropping in for a look, when in fact there’s no emotional element to their visit – they’re there under the guise of browsing because they want to turn a fast, hard buck. I love your little treasure. Long may we all live to find similar. Hx