Makeover : Vintage Shutters get the Beach Cottage Decor Look

Mon 5th, Aug, 2013

8.2K Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 8.2K Buffer 1 8.2K Flares ×

20130805-01-vintage-shutters-diy-makeover-coastal-vintage-style-abeachcottage-blog-abeachcottage.com_

Hello Beach Cottage ladies, well I have been a busy little bee this weekend and we have vintage shutters in the house, oh yeah, white, peely, shabby, gorgeous shutters.

Now when these came into my life they were very dirty and unloved (go here if you want to see the ‘before’ shot)…I have been looking for shutters for a while, and I still am as these aren’t quite as tall as I was hoping for and a little less chunky, but nevertheless I wasn’t going to pass them up.

20130805-03-white-vintage-shutters-makeover-coastal-beach-decor-abeachcottage.com_

My initial thoughts were to paint these yellow, I am fancying a pop or two of colour in this old white cottage at the moment, but once I got into it and had a proper look at them there was no way they were going yellow.

Next I thought I would paint them an old creamy white colour and then distress them but really I didn’t’ want to go over the peeling paint and general shabbiness, we all know that this cannot be bought, that aged patina and general weathering takes years to build up and no matter how you try to replicate it, nothing quite looks like something that has that soft look from wear over time…

20130805-02-shabby-vintage-white-shutters-with-a-coastal-twist-makeover-a-beach-cottage-blog-abeachcottage.com_1

So there was some discussion of jet washing these, but for some reason I didn’t warm to this idea….after a bit of inspection I settled for washing them down with the hose to wash off the dirt (usually I hoover vintage finds first but this one was pretty grimy, it felt a bit yuck and I wanted to actually ‘wash’ it off)…as the water ran down it I used a hand scrubbing brush to scrub off the dirt and grime and then used some elbow grease until clean…

20130805-04-a-beach-cottage-coastal-blog-vintage-shutter-makeover-abeachcottage.com_

Then I left them out in the sun to dry and gave them another dry brush to flake off some more of the paint to give them a bit more texture…

I popped them in the Sitting Room by the  old white comfy I-am-not-leather sofa…and will be stroking them tonight after dinner ;-)

What do you think of my new old vintage shutters with a bit of Beach Cottage coastal vintage love?

p.s if you love the Beach Cottage Coastal Vintage look out for my little pop-up shop coming soon…some of my Favourite Vintage Things all wrapped up and looking for a new home to love :-)  more info on Facebook soon…think vintage wooden boxes, shabby old ladders, beautiful old cutlery, of course there’ll be an oar and the odd nautical stripe too :-)   go here to the A Beach Cottage Facebook Page for upcoming information

love makeovers & vintage finds?

a huge old mirror gets the Beach Cottage white treatment here

this old vintage find fitted in very nicely for a coastal vintage look here

and an old vintage table gets a new look as a coffee table here

25 Responses to “Makeover : Vintage Shutters get the Beach Cottage Decor Look”

1. Excuse me it looks like you didn’t paint very carefully in some places… Kidding, just remembering your dear wherever-he-was-from reader! The shutters are amazing!

yes it was a lovely troll talking about my droopy runs, boy did we laugh about that – funny actually b/c I pretty much found out who it was – she wasn’t quite careful enough about commenting on blogs while in Bali with the same IsP number…silly billy…if you are going to leave trolly anonymous comments always best to cover your tracks properly :-)

2. Jacqui says:

What a fabulous look! And the flowers give a little pop to it all. Those shutters are really great.
    Funny, it’s still the 4th August here in the UK!!
    Blessings
    Jacqui

3. Kim H says:

They look fantastic! The pops of yellow in the gorgy jonnies and dafs are plenty enough pop of colour. Maybe a yellow cushion somewhere could fill your yellow desires? I’ve become quite partial to yellow too these days but I’m a little cautious as I think it’s going to be one of those faddy colours that we’ll all soon get over – like in the past:) x

I totally agree with the faddy thing…I cannot stand fads anyway, you know when everyone has the same look but I just am finding that yellow is so cheery at the moment…and goes with the spring feel..yes maybe a cushion would be good!

4. Jenny McAteer says:

Hi Sarah,

The shutters look fab. I’ve also been wanting some for a some time, and just my luck when at the community recycle this weekend I managed to find some. These ones are a yucky brown stain colour, so mine are going to take a bit of work to get them look great, then the plan is to use them as a head board.

yes I want some for use as a headboard too but not sure how that will go with my bedframe…good work with your find!

5. Candy says:

Love them! Hung mine on the wall with a long shabby painted plain framed beveled mirror in the center. Oh, I do mss them, especially the mirror. Things you don’t find anymore :-(

6. merilyn says:

love them sarah! they look fantastic … good on you for leaving them rustic!
    I think they add another dimension to your room and look!
    love those photos … keep on stroking! lol m:) x

I like the way you introduced yellow via the flowers rather than paint. Aren’t daffodils one of life’s joys?

yes they are, I can’t stop buying them at the moment, so cheap…also stalking the ones in the garden to come out!

8. Neen says:

Aaaah shabby beach cottage, be still my beating heart………just the eye candy I needed this dreary winter morning.
    I am foofing the loungeroom but getting no-where….hmmmm maybe a cup of tea, toast & french jam will help ;) Neen

Perfecto Sarah… Just the right treatment that was needed in my humble opinion ;)… I picture these on a cupboard or special trunk leaning up against the wall providing the perfect backdrop for that gorgeous white pitcher filled with lavender or hydrangeas or both!

10. Megan says:

Gorgeous – as usual!!!

11. Julie Johnson says:

You always score the neatest things. No wonder you think Australia is the lucky country. Besides all the gorgeous scenery, you find all these cool things to use and repurpose in your beach cottage. You should have your own show and I still think a coffee table book would be nice. I know I’d buy one.

thanks Julie, I have been in talks about a book but they want their pound of flesh for sure! it’s made me see books very differently :-)

12. rebecca says:

I love this project! I’m trying to collect enough old shutters to create a shabby room divider, I find them on the curb here in the Florida Keys sometimes on my walks. Thanks for the inspiration!

13. jenny s says:

Oh wow! They look like they belong there & have been there forever! Gorgeous!I’m glad you left them white & chippy – so authentic. Time to veer off my regular op-shop route & visit some demo yards!

14. Kat says:

Love them!!
    Sarah, you always make your styling look so effortless and gorgeous.
    You my dear are a natural :)