Easy Chocolate Tea Cake Recipe

Tue 6th, Aug, 2013

66 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 47 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 19 Buffer 0 66 Flares ×

20130806-01-chocolate-recipe-easy-simple-and-quick-with-store-cupboard-ingredients-and-can-be-mixed-up-in-one-bowl-no-fuss-abeachcottage.com_

Well hello there, did anyone say chocolate tea cake recipe?  Yup, indeedy, I so did.  Repeat.  Easy chocolate tea cake recipe.

Now we all know I am not a natural baker and certainly I was never encouraged to do anything in the kitchen, it was always such a stressful affair but I do like to bake when the moment hits me and more when people are coming over and you want something other than shop-bought.  And this week I have a friend coming over for Afternoon Tea with her crew and I thought chocolate cake, which reminded me of this chocolate cake recipe that I have had up my sleeve for ages…and then I realised at the same time that a certain teenager who is studying very hard at the mo’ might like to come home to that smell of baking wafting down the street….yes you can just call me super-mum if you like ;-)

I first came across this recipe ages and ages ago when I didn’t have a KitchenAid (is it possible for a woman to love a KitchenAid more than her husband?  just wonderin’) and I would mix up the batter with, wait for it, a mixing bowl (of course it was vintage!  I ask you) and a spoon (of course it was wooden!  I ask you)…when one bakes like that, ingredients have to be easy, quick and simple…this cuts it in that department all the way to the recipe bank and back again…

20130806-02-easy-chocolate-tea-cake-recipe-simple-store-cupboard-ingredients-abeachcottage.com_

This is a Tea Cake – I am not sure if you know what that means, I am not sure if I know what that means and I tell you what I have absolutely no blooming idea if this is authentic or not, but I like it with my tea so that’s good enough for me

20130806-03-easy-chocolate-cake-recipe-with-simple-ingredients-abeachcottage.com_

- to me, a Tea Cake has always been a cake that you have with a cup of tea, which I now realise is quite an English thing…the cake bit of this scenario mustn’t be too sweet in my opinion, a bit like if in this scenario there is a biscuit, the biscuit must be plain and simple (and if no-one is looking must be dipped in the tea).

20130806-04-easy-quick-and-simple-chocolate-cake-recipe-abeachcottage.com-

So please note this on this cake, it is not overly sweet, it’s more a plain chocolate tea cake recipe for Afternoon Tea time…if you want it sweeter, you know what, you can add more sugar, I reckon you don’t need to if you are having this with tea or coffee in the morning.

20130806-05-quick-chocolate-cake-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

When I first made this it didn’t call for baking powder and the result was kinda ‘denser’ so I add baking powder nowadays but if you haven’t go it no stress, it won’t mean that if you drop the cake on your foot you will need to go to ER.

20130806-06-super-tasty-chocolate-cake-recipe-easy-simple-and-quick-with-store-cupboard-ingredients-and-can-be-mixed-up-in-one-bowl-no-fuss-abeachcottage.com_

Easy Chocolate Tea Cake Recipe

1 cup self-raising flour

3/4 cup sugar

3 tbsp cocoa

2 tbsp butter

3/4 cup milk

1 egg

a pinch of salt

1. place all ingredients in a bowl and mix

2. bake 190C 45 minutes

*Notes :  I use silicone bakeware for cakes -they’ve changed my life  *I don’t always add salt b/c I always forget *vanilla is nice (a tsp or so)

20130806-07-chocolate-cake-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

I hope you try it, I will be making another one of these for Afternoon Tea tomorrow because guess what this one is already gone…a certain few males in this house LOVE cake and I am pretty sure when we have a winner when I make it before they come home and by the evening it’s a six feet under…

I’ll be seeing you Beach Cottage beautiful ladies of the web again

p.s if you love the Beach Cottage Coastal Vintage look out for my little pop-up shop coming soon…some of my Favourite Vintage Things all wrapped up and looking for a new home to love :-)  more info on Facebook soon…think vintage wooden boxes, shabby old ladders, beautiful old cutlery, of course there’ll be an oar and the odd nautical stripe too :-)   go here to the A Beach Cottage Facebook Page for upcoming information

20130806-08-easy-chocolate-cake-recipe

66 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 47 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 19 Buffer 0 66 Flares ×

35 Responses to “Easy Chocolate Tea Cake Recipe”

1. Rukmini Roy says:

YUM! i adore homemade tea cakes…Maybe I’ll whip this up and make a mug cake. I was fridge hunting at this hour. I watched this movie alone tonight since the hubster is away, called The Conjuring and I just cannot fall asleep. Chocolate sorts everything.

Oh, and waiting for BC Vintage ware. One would come this way and of that I can assure you :)

not liking the sound of the film! the cake is worth whipping up…I have to do another one b/c this one went very quickly x

2. IrishMum says:

A slice of cake and a cuppa would be perfect here today in wet Melbourne!

3. Kerrie says:

This looks amazing Sarah. This is my kind of cake …I don’t have a kitchen Aid and never will. I like my vintage mixing bowl and wooden spoon too much! I always bake cutting the sugar in half so this will not be too plain for me.

well Kerrie, this is super easy in a bowl, measuring straight in and whipping up with a spoon is very easy xox

4. Well, I might just give this a whirl! It looks delicious :)

5. jenny s says:

Yummmm….perfect for nibbling whilst shutter-stroking ;-)

6. Melinda says:

ok lady, I’ll give that tea cake a go today ! You’ve made it look so good in the photos too!

Here’s a swap for you, because its nice to share… is my go to, rustle it up last minute, bit of home love – see what you think
    xx

Tea Cake
    1 cup SR flour
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tab butter, melted
    2/3 cup milk
    1 egg
    drop of vanilla

put all in bowl and mix together
    bake 150″C for 30 odd mins – til golden & cooked

brush top with extra melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and caster sugar
    * can forget cinnamon top and throw berries or sliced apple into batter for a change

7. Karen says:

Looks v tasty! Nice pix too.

8. Tea cake gets baked ALOT around here (so easy and I like the not-so-sweet part of it) but I’ve never tried a choc version!! Must rectify that immediately…..xx

9. Selby says:

Yum this sounds delish! Ill be making this for sure:)

Thanks for the recipe share!

10. Michelle says:

My kids love to help in the kitchen, but being 4 and 2 don’t always do a fnatastic job. This looks like a perfect receipe for them to help with!

I love your photo’s – they always make everything look so appetising!

thanks! this is super easy for kiddos…can totally stand up by the counter and just add cups of this and that to a bowl x

11. Lenka says:

Every Tuesday I have a friend of my son who comes for afternoon tea. He only likes chocolate cakes and I’d exhausted my selection of recipes so I whipped this up (it was so so easy – love that) and had to check that it wasn’t poisonous ;) It was delicious – just need to remember to leave some for the kiddos! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

12. Ellen, A French Apartment says:

Thanks! I’m trying it tomorrow morning after my walk and will let you know how much I already love anything chocolate. Oh my.

13. merilyn says:

it looks delicious sarah! you are funny, clever and a good mum!
    my mother always had things baking and those aromas in the kitchen for a child are very welcoming!
    nice memories … thankyou sarah lol m:) x

Super Mum
    How sad that being in the kitchen wasn’t fun when you were young.

But now you’ve made up for lost time. :)

15. Kerrie says:

This is reAlly yummy Sarah. I made it with the baking powder and vanilla and added a handful of semisweet choc chips too. Will make this often!!!

16. Kerrie says:

I forgot, I used rice milk because we Re lactose intolerant and its delicious. Almond milk would work too but didn’t have any on hand.

17. April says:

190 Celsius= 374 Fahrenheit.

18. Oh what a fun recipe. I shall have to try it for sure! Thanks for sharing, it looks delish!

19. Jenny says:

Hi Sarah,

fantastic choc tea cake recipe, my son made it yeasterday evening for supper and it went down a treat, so will be a keep for the recipe folder.

Hi Jenny!

So pleased you liked it, it’s super easy and tasty isn’t it? x

• Jenny McAteer says:

Hi Sarah,

This recipe is fast becoming a family fav. Yesterday I doubled the mixture and baked it in jumbo muffin trays for the lunch boxes.

20. Nanan Tonato says:

Wonderful Idea!! It will be surely helpful to me.

Thanks.