Beach Cottage Easy Crumble Recipe

Thu 29th, Aug, 2013

113 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 108 Buffer 5 113 Flares ×

20130829-01-abeachcottage-tinned-peaches-crumble-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

This post is sponsored by Woolworth’s Select

Well hello today with a crumble recipe or as some people I’ve noticed call it a cobbler…this recipe is an English crumble rather than a cobbler but really they’re pretty similar.I’ve loved crumble for just about my whole life, for me it’s nothing other than comfort food…sometimes in life there is nothing much that can help quite as much as a good old-fashioned fruit crumble, filling up the house with a glorious smell that means 6ft2 teenagers inquire when it will be ready.

This then is a recipe for crumble using tinned fruit – to be honest I have fallen back on crumble with tinned fruit many many times on a Sunday when a crumble, after a roast dinner with all the trimmings, is what is needed but all that is available are 3 withered old apples and a single wrinkly lemon looking lonely and lost in the fruit bowl.

So, since I married the most wonderful Mr Beach Cottage and began the journey as mum, chief bottle washer, cleaner and chef I don’t think a single day has gone by where I have not had a can of fruit in my pantry…just call me retro…indeed I think it may be part of my genetic  make-up that a can of tinned fruit has always been about my person…hello broken mandarins I still love you.

But moving to Australia, the country with the fresh produce of my dreams, with fruit in pretty much abundance, the best produce in the world (said in my very new and very proud Australian For We Are Young and Free Citizen Voice), well wouldn’t I just always have baskets full of the fresh stuff around?   Wouldn’t I be skipping around in white linen, white-washed basket over my arm, nigh on collecting fruit from the streets??

20130829-02-blog-abeachcottage-peach-crumble-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

Well in all honesty, most of the time, certainly, the choice and sheer variety now for me is stuff of dreams …but also, those tins of fruit, they are still very much in my pantry and a part of my philosophy of fall-back family cooking….

20130829-03-peach-crumble-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

There is a bit of a difference here though, and that’s that I like to still think that I’m buying Australian, tinned or not…and this fruit from Woolworth’s Select is just that, Australian fruit picked during the Summer season in the heart of the fruit producing regions, and turned by one used-to -be English woman on the beaches into smoothies, crumbles and all manner of delish things…

Since I’ve moved to Australia things like where food has come from has become an issue for me and I if I can I try to buy Australian food and I will always make that choice – I like to think I am doing my bit to support Australian farmers, and I know it’s a bit soppy but a way to say thanks for this beautiful new country of ours.

This then is a recipe with tinned fruit, a super easy recipe, no foofing, no fussing and I have to say I almost make this with my eyes shut now …crumble topping bit, well once you’ve done it a few times it’s pretty much easy to eyeball.

You know I like too easy recipes and I know you do too, you know I like recipes that have bathability in them, meaning you can throw them in the oven and go get in the bath and this is one of those though really it’s so simple there is no time for bathing here ladies…open a can of peaches and mix things up with your hands and that is pretty much it, heck you don’t even need a spoon for this one.

Easy Peach Crumble Recipe

2 cans peaches in juice

1 cup flour

½ cup oats

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup butter

spoon peaches into baking dish and pour in half of the juice

add the rest of the ingredients to a separate mixing bowl and rub butter between fingers until combined

top the fruit with the crumble mixture and sprinkle the top with extra suga

bake at 200C for 30 mins for until the fruit is bubbling and the top browned

1. Spoon peaches into baking dish and pour in half of the juice
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients to a separate mixing bowl and rub the butter between fingers until  combined
  3. Top the fruit with the crumble mixture and sprinkle the top with extra sugar
  4. Bake at 200 for 30 mins or until the fruit is bubbling and the top browned

I hope you like the look of it…that’s very much it from me and my tins of Australian fruit, let me know if you make it, it’s a keeper in this old cottage.

20130829-04-abeachcottage-tinned-peaches-crumble-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

Tell me, are you a secret tinned fruit stasher ;-)

Adios

20130829-05-easy-peach-crumble-recipe-with-tinned-fruit-abeachcottage.com-

This post is sponsored by Woolworth’s Select

Sponsored post co-ordinated by The Remarkables Group – if you are interested in working with abeachcottage.com please get in touch for more information, rates, stats and details of successful campaigns.

34 Responses to “Beach Cottage Easy Crumble Recipe”

1. Jenny McAteer says:

Hi Sarah,

I’m having a few problems trying to copy and paste this recipe. When you first look at the recipe on screen it does not include the cooking times only ingredients, but when I highlight to copy and paste the full instructions appear, then disappear again when pasting to a new document. Any chance you can re post or send to me individually, as its one that I’m keen to try.

oh dear! I just re-typed it and it works for me?? thanks Jenny x

• Jenny McAteer says:

Hi Sarah,

The re typing has done the trick, have managed to copy and paste it this time. I’ll give this ago tonight, will go very well after your pumkin and sweet potatoe soup which has become a favourite in our house.

2. Laura says:

Hi – I make something similar around Christmas time. I call it my Christmas crumble. I had a some mincemeat (fruit not meat) in with the peaches & then add little morcals of marzipan in with the crumble topping. Yours looks delish! Lx

3. Laura says:

*add* that should read. I’m typing while my four year old *attempts to braid my hair = painful!

4. Ali Walker says:

Love your blog, love the crumble recipe and the styling is gorgeous but very disappointed with the promotion for woolworths. I think they get more than enough publicity already.

My crumble tip is make a triple batch of the crumble mix and keep the left over in the freezer so it’s ready to go ip when you need an emergency dessert.

Hi Ali

What a great tip, I had never thought of that – would you defrost it first??? or throw it on top frozen?

Thanks so much for your feedback on the sponsored post – all and any sponsored content on this blog is carefully chosen and considered, if you are a regular reader (not sure if you are as by your ISP address and email details I see this is your first comment) you will know that there is a limited amount of advertising and sponsorship (I turn down many many offers!)and there are not sponsored posts every other day, however I choose to work with brands who like what I do and vice versa.

have a lovely day. :-)

5. Tonja says:

Hello Sarah, I have been trying to download & buy your “clay tag tutorial”. No luck I’m afraid…can you help?

6. corrie says:

love love love the pip studio bowl! kicking myself I only bought 3 things when I spotted it in domayne about 2 years ago!!

lovely recipe! so much better than say a berry crumble :)
    corrie:)

7. jody says:

ummm Sarah
    can i come over from way over here in florida to nibble a bit …just to see all those darling dishes?!
    xo jody

8. Stacey Harrimar says:

Hi Sarah,
    Never put oats in my crumble mixture, must try that! Always have tinned fruit in, probably because I grew up with tinned fruit and ice cream as a “fall back” pudding, when Gran (who lived with us) hadn’t made jam roly-poly, spotted dick or steamed syrup pudding! Yum.. its making me hungry just thinking about it! x

gosh I haven’t made jam roly poly for a long long time…and I love steamed pudding, oh and bread and butter pudding…was your gran English? xx

9. Smaggle says:

This looks AMAZING! I’m always wondering what a good alternative to oats would be for a gluten free crumble… maybe rice flakes or something?

10. I have a secret crush on tinned peaches….LOVE with vanilla ice cream in Summer!! xx

11. Karen says:

Thank you – another nice, easy recipe. I love your Pip pudding bowl btw, v lovely indeed! x

12. merilyn says:

love me an old fashioned apple crumble! … my favourite, just gorgeous! … having a brave beautiful granny who came from Nottinghamshire, when she was just 16, all alone on a big ship, to be with her brother in Australia … she brought her genuine English recipes and my mother followed suite and they could cook! … lol m :)x
    p.s.” wicked but virtuous” by mirka mora is a book I love, she is hilarious … can you imagine a young French woman coming to Australia in the 30′s (I think) to start up a life here and succeeding with her art and running a hotel in the heart of Melbourne … amazing and honest! with that sexy French accent! x

oh wow I can just imagine what that must have been like in those days – we often say that, how different that migration story would be!

I am loving the sound of the book, I have just been learning her story, amazing! however I think the book will be difficult to find now, thanks xx

13. April Zimmerman says:

Can’t wait to try this! And your post makes me feel so much less shameful about using canned fruit as opposed to fresh fruit. Thanks for the recipe! Loving the blog.

thanks April! yeah I’ve never quite understood the thing about tinned fruit being not the done thing – I’ve always thought it super handy…bit like dried herbs and the foodies, lol, my thinking is as long as it’s home-made with love and it’s not full of chemicals it’s a winner x

14. DeAna says:

yuuuuummmmmmm… mmm mmm mmm!

15. Selby says:

Yum! Thanks for the recipe share!

I definitely stash tinned fruit:) I think I feel like there’s possibilities if the pantry has a few little yummy tinned fruits.

“since I married the most wonderful Mr Beach Cottage”……Awww

I stash tinned peaches for trifle making. I’m with you on crumbles. Yummo.

17. Winona says:

Hi, just wanted to say, I liked this article. It was inspiring.
    Keep on posting!

18. Melanie A. says:

this looks great and so easy!! I like to keep canned peaches around cause they make the best cobblers & crumbles. I have a recipe that calls for (here we get even more too-easy and store-bought) a box of yellow cake mix that you throw on top and drizzle with melted butter and grated Skor bars…(toffee/chocolatey, not sure if you have those) bake till oozy and crisp and delicious. it is the easiest dessert in the world and honestly, might be my favorite…with a good scoop of ice cream melting on top.
    anyway, thanks for the recipe; I’ll have to try it!