How to Paint French Market Baskets

Tue 30th, Jul, 2013

112 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 108 Buffer 4 112 Flares ×

Well G’day Beach Cottage people, wanna paint a French market basket!  How the devil are you?  I am good, feeling lucky to be alive at the moment.  That’s always a bonus.

So today I am here with a craft.  We all know I dabble in this, I would love to be one of those super perfect craft bloggers who can whip up a patchwork quilt in a couple of hours, sew my wee gorgeous ones a smock peasant top or, you know, whack out a slipcover (in white linen) or six, but nup, crafting in this old cottage is often, actually nearly always related to or involved with white paint.  Be careful if you pop in for tea and cake and sit still for a moment I may just pull up your trouser and paint your ankle white.

Anyway, recently I was at a local-ish shop which hankers a little bit on the French side….I may or may not have come away with another cheeseboard….in there were some market baskets painted in a light blue colour and may I just point out that the painting wasn’t up to much.  I picked one up, hmm thought I, I could so whip this little baby up myself.

After a bit of thinking and a quick look on Pinterest (and what did we do before Pinterest?!  How did life exist?  How did one research one’s new kitchen without Pinterest?!) and seeing painted baskets c/o Martha as in Stewart I briefly thought about dipping them in a bucket of paint as I had seen a couple of online tutorials show.  Two reasons I didn’t do this :  one it looked like a faff and two I thought it was a real waste of paint to tip it out in to a bucket and then dip in the bag – I also thought this was messy and didn’t have a tub that I thought would be big enough for the paint.

So, I used a paintbrush and white paint and didn’t faff around with a tub.  Astounding really isn’t it?   Want to paint your market basket with paint?  Paint it my friends.  The simplest craft tutorial you’ll ever find – I simply painted the baskets with water based white paint – the only things to watch out for are that the top line is semi-straight…the line on my basket with the band of white isn’t particularly perfect…just the way I like it ;-)

And so this is my latest crafting Beach Cottage style – French market baskets with a leetle bit of white.

I’m liking.

See you soon, I have the lastest giveaway cooking up, yeehaw…

33 Responses to “How to Paint French Market Baskets”

1. Selby says:

I likee! Looks great:)

thanks so much Selby :-)

• Marlene says:

Yes, Pinterest has motivated me soooooo much..I love it. I have painted my oak cabinets light blue, I had crown molding and a decorative bridge added to connect cupboards on each side of sink. All was from a photo on Pinterest. The transformation is astounding to me. I made a burlap scrunchy on my hanging schoolhouse light chain, I made French baskets by slapping on two shades of white haphazardly with watered down paint. First one and then it dries, then the next off white. Loved the results. Today making lavender sachets. And I finished knitting my multi striped market bag. Just have to take it to the Laundromat to felt it. My large driftwood mirror is almost complete. And, oh joy, tomorrow is an estate sale. I am looking for an old Kitchen Aid mixer like you found. Whoever dreamed up Pinterest, I salute you.

yes I wonder if the Pinterest people realised how it would take off…I have done many similar things to you!

2. Honeyaar(Sonal) says:

Bonsoir Mme Beach Cottage!!!
    Comment allez-vous? Ca va??

Zee baskets Francais, oui are maqnifique!
    C’est si Bon ….merci..;-))

3. What a great idea! I might still since I find my basket (French, of course) a little blah, now that I’ve seen yours.

4. Ellen, A French Apartment says:

Yes, I really like your white stripe:) also love how clean all your striped rugs always look. I might admit I’ve strolled around the Swedish store often enough to see the ones I love are still there. But going back to the striped basket, someone who’s book I’ve perused and many other people have mentioned a market basket to carry on the homeward bound plane when bringing treasures back from the French flea markets. Yes, my curiosity is settled, my basket will be on the check list, snd maybe I ‘ll see fit to paint a white stripe on mine when I come home. I hope your finger is much better Sarah; It’s frightening to read how ill it made you; but I’m really glad you could get out and share pictures of your recent trip to a place so very lovely. Thanks so much for sharing. And get better soon!

thanks for your well wishes Ellen!

I throw the rugs in the wash a lot (and I have gathered a collection of them)….they are sooooo easy and I love how laid-back they are xx

5. You have such a great eye for styling! Love your gorgeous photos!!

6. Kathy says:

Sarah, I so enjoy your posts! Any recommendations on where one could pick up a French basket here in the States?

7. oh man, but this made me smile so big! just this past weekend i painted an old but gorgeous market basket that i’ve had for a bit. once upon a time it had been green and ivory, but had faded, and while the green is now a much lovelier faded green, the ivory just . . . got ugly. so i painted just that part. there is always white paint at my house, and it was easy peasy, and now it’s so beautiful i may just leave it in the front room so i can see it.

again, you made me so happy. love this.

I aim to please :-)

thanks for your lovely comment, how cool are the painted baskets and sooooo easy…I have re-furbished two others that were for the scrap heap…love up-cycling x

8. Marlene says:

p.s. I love your basket, your home décor, your photographs and your writing. I only subscribe to two blogs and you are one of them. Thanks for your inspiration and putting a smile on so many faces.

9. Helen T says:

Kia Ora Sarah
    I thought your french baskets were pretty stylish anyway, but you and your brush have taken them to another level, too gorgeous and another thing to add to my list of ‘wants’ .

10. Helen says:

Hi Sarah, please tell me where you got your baskets? I’m in Brisbane and whenever Ive seen them for sale, they are ridiculously expensive! Love the look :)

I got them from a local greengrocers :-) …yes I have seen them in boutiques for ridiculous prices x

11. Jill says:

Oohh I love this, and love market baskets….so much so, I am seriously thinking about setting up with them at the local markets, along with some other french inspired goodies. :)

Well done! They look Fab!!!

13. Fiona says:

I love the look of those dipped market baskets but also thought the same about the paint method, Sarah, messy and wasteful. Probably a good way if you are going into major production but not good for one or two. I think I saw it on Kirsty’s Vintage home or something like that. Your baskets look great especially the one hanging on the door knob.
    cheers Fiona

14. merilyn says:

you’ve been a busy girl! what doesn’t move paint it theory like mine! they look great sarah!
    I had a French basket once, in france … 18 yrs ago nearly to the day… we had it packed with French goodies (albeit half eaten) bagette, duck rillette , half a bottle of rough red wine, some very ripe cheese, that nearly crawled about! … it was hot when we drove into spain and found a beach off the autoban, got into our togs and went to have a swim, (all of 10 minutes) when we returned to the hire car, nearly everything was gone … that was a sad day! when I lost my French basket, suitcases, duty free stuff, bags, and an 18 pack of toilet paper etc. one week into our 3 month holiday :( French baskets always remind me of our plight! had to get it off my chest obviously! lol m:) also makes me laugh too!

oh sad story! it reminded me of once when we went to the South of France with some other families – pulled into the place we were staying and one of the other families all got out of their car…I stayed in ours with our little ones…after check in when they got back all their stuff, including passports were gone…it was a nightmare! I’ve heard quite a lot of stories about things like that down in the south of France and that part of Spain, you don’t hear it in the tourist brochures though…

I must fill my bag with baguette, duck and half a bottle of red soon ;-0