Beach Cottage Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup Recipe – baby it’s cold outside

Mon 15th, Jul, 2013

32 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 27 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 3 Buffer 2 32 Flares ×

20130715-01-pumkin-soup-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

Hellooo,brrrr it’s chilly in Sydney, 17C today, meaning I’m rugged up in woolly stockings and a scarf…we are halfway through Winter and this is the first year since we’ve been here that I’ve finally cracked it and am not freezing by bottom off…soups come into their own here for sure in these months…we eat soups all year round but a good pumpkin and sweet potato soup recipe is always good to have up your sleeve in the Winter is it not?

I love this soup, as does Miss Beach Cottage, it’s creamy and silky, warming and comforting….pumpkin soup is kinda like the good things about Winter wrapped up in a bowl, isn’t it?

I’ve made pumpkin soup with my eyes shut probably, but it can, I think, taste somewhat bland, this pumpkin and sweet potato recipe though means it’s none of those.

20130715-02-easy-sweet-potato-and-pumpkin-soup-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

I first had pumpkin soup years and years ago, made for me by a friend and have been hooked ever since and I always try it when I see it on menus when I am out, particularly if it has some weird and wonderful ingredient in there (you know when you go somewhere and rather than just a plain pumpkin soup, you’ll get curried pumpkin soup with a twist of fennel?).

20130715-03-abeachcottage-decorating-ideas-blog-pumpkin-sweet-potato-soup-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

I’ve never totally been swayed by any of those concoctions though, but I do love a touch of curry powder in it, but mostly with this, and with the Beach Cottage Crew, we just like it pretty much the simple way…

So here’s how I do it most of the time…

Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup Recipe

2 onions finely diced

1 medium pumpkin / squash peeled and chopped

1 tbsp oil

2 to 3 tbsp vinegar

I large handful (about 1 cup) fresh garden herbs (I like Parsley, Rosemary, oregano etc)

3 garlic cloves

salt and pepper

1 litre chicken stock

2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped

1. sweat the onion and garlic in the oil for 5 or so mins until soft

2. add the pumpkin & sweet potato and cook for a couple of minutes

3. add the stock, vinegar and herbs and season well with salt and pepper

4. leave to simmer for at least half an hour

5. blend to smooth (you may need to add more liquid)

serve with a blob of sour cream, a sprinkling of grated cheese, parsley and spring onions..

20130715-04-abeachcottage-pumkin-and-sweet-potato-soup-recipe

Beach Cottage Blog Recipe Notes  *any stock will do, I like to use chicken for taste but if you are veggie or don’t have chicken any stock is good *you may want to lose a garlic clove, I love garlic so throw in three *you may need to adjust the liquid level by adding more stock  * I grab whatever herbs are plentiful in the garden but a shake of dried mixed herbs is cool here too *apple cider vinegar is good in this if you have it lurking in the cupboard, but any vinegar works

20130715-01-pumkin-soup-recipe-abeachcottage.com_

See you soon sweet Beach Cottage ladies, I hope you like a good Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup recipe as much as me…oh I have some very exciting things to show you this week, just a tad excited here for when they arrive…I’ll be snapping the postie’s hand just about off…

Sarah x

20130715-05-easy-pumpkin-soup-recipe-abeachcottage.cokm_

32 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 27 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 3 Buffer 2 32 Flares ×

39 Responses to “Beach Cottage Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup Recipe – baby it’s cold outside”

1. IrishMum says:

It’s a bit chilly here in Melbourne too! Perfect soup weather.

2. manuela says:

Just beautiful!

3. merilyn says:

pumpkin soup was on the menu here too … love it!
    your pumpkin and sweet potato soup sounds and looks delicious!
    I was a bit heavy handed with the stock and mine was too watery sooo
    I thought how can I thicken this? I added some besan flour which is chick pea flour.
    my soup had morocan herbs in it and the besan worked a treat and made it nice and thick !
    … even better the next day … then I saw a celebrity chef using besan instead of eggs for vegans
    it’s a good trick … and I especially love those and I know you do to! … glad you’re having a chillout time with your kiddos … cheers m:) x

4. Honeyaar(Sonal) says:

Yum!!! Looks delish!
    …As its winter we have soup too …love making leek and kumera soup with touch of cumin…
    Also, love love love making Greek peasant-style bean soup!!!
    Dhal style red lentil soup…mmmm…

5. Honeyaar(Sonal) says:

Ps. Mme Sarah..just Love luv lurve your styling and pics….divine as usual!
    What a pleasure to visit zee tres chic beach cottage. ;-)

6. Ooohh I’ve never thought to throw some vinegar in, must give it a go. I often toss a sprinkle or so of nutmeg in too which works quite nicely. Have fun with the postman…nothing better than a good delivery!! Xx

7. Julie Johnson says:

As it’s summer here in the states, I don’t fix soups but will try it this fall. Looks and sounds delish!

8. Shawna says:

Oh my goodness, that looks absolutely stunning! It’s in the full swing of summer where I live, but I’ll be sticking this recipe in my back pocket for winter time.

9. Oh Sarah,

Yo’ve made me laugh…you’re a real Aussie now. At 17 degrees, we Poms in the motherland gaily throw off our clothes and bare our pale flesh…in fact there’s very few days in the year when we regularly get higher temperatures !

Having said that , we are having a heatwave at the moment – 28 – 30 degrees for four days now.Bliss…..

yes I know I have been watching your heatwave!

it’s a shame you get used to the warmer weather or I would perpetually be in Summer lol x

10. Claire says:

11. Claire says:

This looks yummy Sarah! Do you have any tips for taking the pain out of peeling & chopping pumpkin/squash? I’m always a bit put off by recipes containing either as the prep can be a bit laborious…or is that just me?!

gosh no it is not you at all! I feel the same, I do have a trick actually – ask someone else to do it haha. I actually got my teenager to do this one for me and without the whole males are stronger debate he did actually do it a lot easier than me but I have always been upper-body weak… I just close my eyes and think of England when I have to do it myself.

12. Mary Anne Komar says:

A touch of crispy bacon on top with chives, yum, yours looks divine, but it’s 75 degrees up here in Washington State, USA, so will air for our fall, watermelon anyone? Mary Anne

13. Melinda says:

oh you Sydneysiders and your warm winters !
    Yesterday it was 17′C in Melbourne and people were in shirtsleeves and bare legs (quickly fake tanned up) – it was so temperate – there was even SUN !!
    Great soup – am wondering what the vinegar does?? a certain piquancy? – will give it a shot xx

yes it gives it some ooomph…

I know, how spoilt are we saying 17C is chilly, haha…I’ve no wish to move to Melbourne for the very reason you said but I would like the coffee ;-)

• Melinda says:

yes, excellent coffee it must be said.
        - weather not so great but on the flip side it makes you appreciate the lovely days and keeps you on your toes with the changeability ;)

yes,true, ummm I think I have had enough of weather keeping me on my toes from Old Blighty for the rest of my life ;-)

• Melinda says:

quite understand – sometimes the flip side doesnt quite cut it !!
            - am noticing that Melbournians tend to make a pilgrimage to the sun where possible in winter……..probably with coffee machine tucked in hand luggage.

haha as to Sydneysiders…many people I know just got back from Asia :-)

14. Melinda says:

Oui, Bali very popular destination.
    Thankfully there were plenty of sunny days these holidays to prevent me from being too envious of those soaking up the warmth – and as I sit here now I am bathed in glorious sunlight with a gentle breeze blowing – pretty good I say :)
    enjoy your afternoon and thanks for the chat x

15. I say “Yum” to your recipe and “Yum” to your pictures!! We eat a lot of soup here too, in the Pacific Northwest. We have lots of rain. Rain and soup just seem to go together! Great post!

16. merilyn says:

I have another trick up my sleeve for cooking pumpkin sarah! … anyone!
    cut pumpkin in half … scoop out seeds (skinny long ones don’t have many or no seeds at all!)
    put half in microwave sitting up in a dish with a lid sitting on top of the pumpkin
    cook for 10mins or until soft
    when cooler or if impatient:) scoop out into blender with coconut cream and chosen herbs and flavourings of your choice … I use morocan spices and coconut cream … flavour to taste
    so it’s really a blender soup! not over cooked and warm on stove or microwave …
    too easy lemon squeezy! lol m:)

17. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know a lot
    about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you could do with a few pics
    to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog.
    An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

18. Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Chrome.
    I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post
    to let you know. The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon.
    Many thanks

19. maggie says:

hi arah love your recipes cant wait to try

20. Jenny McAteer says:

Hi Sarah,

Another fab recipe from your blog. My partner made this for dinner last night, just what I needed on a cold night after comming in from the yoga class. Any chance you can post the tomatoe and basil soup recipe that you have been talking about in the blog this week?

21. Ann says:

This sounds like a lovely soup and would have to try it! I’m a new mom and looking for recipes that is baby friendly and this seems like a soup my 10month baby would love. I’m new to the world of slow-cooking / crockpots… How do I slow cook this soup?