Beach Cottage Bedroom : In Winter

Thu 11th, Jul, 2013

420 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 30 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 388 Buffer 2 420 Flares ×

20130711-01-beach-cottage-bedroom

20130711-02-abeachcottage-bedroom-abeachcottage.com_ 20130711-09-beach-cottage-decorating-ideas-bedroom-abeachcottage.com_ 20130711-08-abeachcottage-coastal-vintage-style-blog-abeachcottage.com_ 20130711-07-beach-house-decorating-blog-abeachcottage.com_ 20130711-06-beach-house-cottage-decorating-ideas-blog-abeachcottage.com_ 20130711-05-bedroom-decorating-abeachcottage.com_ 20130711-04-beach-house-blog-cottage-decorating-abeachcottage.com_ 20130711-03-abeachcottage-decorating-blog-abeachcottage.com_

It’s chilly here in the evenings that is for sure.  After about ten days of glorious weather and Winter trips to the beach there is no doubt now that this Winter Season is here and we are in the midst of it.  At about four thirty the temperature drops, the blinds are drawn, the fire goes on, all the doors are shut and in this old cottage people begin to get rugged up.

When we moved to Australia our first Winter took us completely by surprise.  It’s a short and swift couple of months in Sydney which means nowhere is set up for it….we arrived as cosseted little Pommies used to living in a house like toast and centrally heated with a thermostat I loved to whack right up to 30C every time I walked past….that changed to a old ratty cottage, with wood floors, no heating, drafty doors, single pane rattly windows and certainly not a stitch of insulation to be seen anywhere (that is still on our list of reno jobs btw).  You notice these things when it’s cold outside.

Nowadays we are much more used to the Winter here – come 4pm jumpers go on, Uggs are a pre-requisite, flannel pj’s are a must, hot baths are taken for their heat inducing qualities on zee bones, hot water bottles are stuffed down pants and rugrats who leave doors open are not taken to kindly.

The sitting room slowly turns to the place where we all migrate, to sit by the fire, the sofa has throws on every end and back, lamps are turned down low and lil’ puppies curl up with anyone who cares to cuddle.

In the bedroom we’ve tried various ways to beat the Australian chill, one year we tried an electric blanket and though toasty it’s not found its way back on the bed, other times we’ve turned the radiator up full blast, but that makes for a very stuffy room… what has tended to happen more is the layering of quilts and doonas – right now we have four on the bed and extras just in case…

And by about 9.30pm this is the place to tuck up, with a peppermint tea, a new book and floral pj’s.

Next time then

20130711-01-beach-cottage-bedroom

21 Responses to “Beach Cottage Bedroom : In Winter”

1. Selby says:

Looks about perfect to me:)

2. michelle says:

Beautiful post Sarah. I want to be drinking tea by the fire in that sitting room. I’ll cuddle Barley! :)

3. Jen says:

So pretty! I’d love it in any season.

4. Good idea Michelle, I wonder if we could check in for the weekend!

5. My uggs are on now … shhh!

6. I think these may be some of my fave pics of yours Sarah! They are so lovely and homely. They are also telling me I must go on the hunt for new bedding. And I always do as I’m told…Xx (gwynnie is on my wish list, how are you finding it? I’m just a little worried good old Safeway may not cut it for a lot of her ingredients??!!? x)

7. Susan says:

I would love to know where you got the spectacular bedding…and the floral PJs…looking for some myself…better pic of them please!
    You seriously are my inspiration for our bedroom..and it’s your fault this morning when hubby fussed at me (again) for too many pillows on the bed.

Is that possible?

8. Honeyaar(Sonal) says:

Beautiful pics of a beautiful room Mme Sarah!!!
    The Beach Cottage is looking more and more idyllic with each post!
    So beware I’m coming, armed with Lemoncillo, French bread and goats cheese
    ;-) ….hehe
    Just Heart your bedding – pastel feminine goodies without OTT fussiness..divine
    I must must invest in some Cath Kidston + Swedish store yummies soon!!!
    Thanks for sharing..
    Ps..over here.. we all get into uggs and jim jams at 4pm everyday clutching heatpacks under cosy throws.. cuddling whoever is closest:-) hehe

9. judy gill says:

great post Sarah.I love your spotty sheets wherever did you find them? wow wouldnt like to be you buying firewood in sydney! we just walk out to the paddock lol.cant wait to share some photos with you when we move to our new address next week.yes our houses arent built for the heat or cold here in australia.love the ugg boots! take care judy

10. Very white and seasonal! The pastels make really good accents too. :)

11. merilyn says:

looks lovely and cosy sarah!
    i’m certainly rugged up and tucked in at this time of the night, with polka dot bedsox!
    and two stripy doonas with the heater on low thermostat looking at my favourite blogs!
    it was a chilly 2 degrees here last night
    so we spot heat and it works well! … goodnight guys … lol m:) x

12. Sara says:

Beautiful! Where is the polka dot bedding from?!

13. Patricia says:

That is what I love about winter…getting cozied with a wood-burning fire and all of the layers of clothing, flanelette sheets and duvet on the bed…and of course, all of the hearty cooking…

14. Jukes says:

Would love to see a pic of your fire :-)

Sounds about right Sarah, much the same here except the husband has to cut up some more wood this weekend, we have run out :( . Loving the cozy shots! I just wish we had underfloor heating… If we had that and a perfectly insulated place this house would be toasty warm during the winter. I am dreaming of spring… I have already started with spring cleaning (plus it helps keep me warm hee hee)… I had a surprise in the garden.. So pleasant, I found some flowers(don’t know the name) that decided to put on a show early (like really early) for me. Spring may be real early this year..If so, we will be in for a scorcher summer….

• Alice says:

Glowing Clivias – that’s the flower.. It usually flowers for me mid-to late spring…So I was shocked and pleasantly surprised :)

16. Anonymous says:

Where did you get your sheets and throw pillows? I love them!

I like Gwyneth. Always have a soft spot for her. Sliding Doors is one of my all time favourite movies.

18. Lusine says:

I can’t get over your nightstand! It’s just perfect :). I can’t wait for cozy winter nights…we’ve had the most miserable heatwave in the states.

19. sarah says: