healthy lunch ideas – easy salad recipe
Thu 13th, Jun, 2013
Hi ladies, welcome to Beach Cottage Land this morning and welcome back to lovely Catherine, she’s back sharing a tasty salad recipe here today….I love easy salad recipes and it’s a great little healthy lunch idea because it’s quick and simple… easy salad recipes without a lot of fuss are needed in my life regularly. And guess what? This easy salad recipe is husband friendly, even husbands who can only make scrambled eggs (like mine) could give this one a go…come on down and lets give this Man Salad a go…
So, over to Catherine – any questions for her or you just want to say G’day, leave them in the comments :-)
Hi Beach Cottage ladies ….at The Spring Cottage, Man Salad has earned its name for these two reasons: it’s one of the few fresh-from-scratch dishes in my husband’s culinary repertoire… and it’s the only salad he’s always happy to eat no matter who makes it. So just what is it that makes a light and healthy recipe like this one so appealing to the brawnier sex? The answer is so simple it might even work on your kids too… Man salad eschews stringy leafy things while embracing cheese and nuts.
And I’m not mocking. Because the truth is I’m not a huge fan of typical salads made with piles of chopped up cos lettuce or bitter artisinal baby greens. I grant that dark leafy veg is super important from a nutritional standpoint, especially in it’s freshest raw form. I just don’t like eating it that much and prefer to get my daily dose down in smoothies and cold-pressed juices. Call me juvenile, but I’m with my man on this one… when it comes to salad I want all the yummy, crunchy garnish without the rabbit-food filler.
- 1 continental cucumber
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 green apple
- 100g Danish feta
- a handful of unsalted cashews
- the juice of half a very juicy lemon
- a pinch of dried herbs de Provence
- a drizzle of olive oil
- flaked sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Wash and towel dry your tomatoes, cucumber and apple. Chop into bite sized pieces. Toss together in a large salad bowl.
- Crumble feta over top & sprinkle on cashews. (Pomegranate seeds are also lovely when they’re in season)
- Over top pour the lemon juice, drizzle the oil, and dust with the dried herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Toss everything together and serve.
… this salad makes a brilliant light meal / healthy lunch idea all on its own. Or serve it up as a side on pizza night for a quick and easy way to pad out dinner and add a bit of healthy balance back in.
Thanks Catherine, it’s on my weekly meal plan and I am showing it to Mr Beach Cottage without a doubt!
So tell me, do you like a salad with leaves or do your prefer one like this, I must say I like a bit of chopping myself but go a leaf too?
ABeachCottage salads recipes – quick, easy & big on taste
- French Carrot Salad with one main ingredient
- Easy Mason Jar Salad Recipe you can keep in your fridge all week
- Fennel Salad – the secret salad recipe that is so easy it could change your life
- Simple Salad – with a lemon & sour cream dressing
Want to keep up-to-date with what is going on here?
Catherine blogs at The Spring Blog, a window into life around her little cottage in Brisbane’s leafy inner South… If you press your nose up to the glass long enough you’ll see posts about personal style, favourite recipes, crafty projects, home decor, health, beauty, gardening … and her picks for the best things to do, see, and eat in South-East Queensland..