Beach Decor – How to Paint a French Cafe Chair for coastal living

Mon 3rd, Jun, 2013

76 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 62 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 4 Buffer 9 76 Flares ×

20130603-01-abeachcottage-coastal-vintage-lifestyle-beach-decor-makeover-abeachcottage.com_

Helloooooo Beach Cottage beautifuls, I have to tell you I am on a paint binge at the moment, if you get my newsletter you will know I have somehow acquired treasure to paint, which is very opportune because I am on a beach decor painting and makeover fest…there will be lots of makeovers on this blog in the foreseeable future …not quite sure where all the furniture will be going yet…yes there have been eyebrows…I am thinking I might give a few bits and bobs away to anyone who might need some white painted furniture in their lives…

So when I had some free time lately (kiddos sport and rain allowing) I stripped down to my undies and decided one of the French cafe chairs was to go blue, frenchie lovely blue.  I’ve been meaning to do this for a while – I have a few of these chairs, some went white and I will certainly be leaving some of them in the state that I found them, because they are very original…

20130603-02-beach-decor-cafe-chair-paint-makeover

I love a pop of colour in a piece of vintage furniture against all the white, I did quite fancy myself some pink, but at the last minute thought better of it, and did, too, go down the aqua green route, I saw the exact same thing on another blog, but in a more modern setting (with chevrons) and thought it looked fabulous…but really frenchie blue blue blue was how I was feeling…I bought some grey paint too, more on that to come…

20130603-03-beach-decor-makeover-from-a-beach-cottage-blog-abeachcottage.com_

So here is the before and after (the before is actually another brown cafe chair I have which is virtually identical I forgot to take a pic of the actual one I painted)

20130603-04-beach-decor-coastal-vintage-makeover-abeachcottage.com_

How I did it was very simple, I didn’t do anything at all, I just gave it a bit of a clean and went right on over….remember I am not one who is worried about droopiness in my life and this is only for me, as in I am not selling these or trying to impress anyone, except you lot of course, so all does not need to be perfect…

20130603-05-abeachcottage-coastal-vintage-lifestyle-beach-decor-makeover-abeachcottage.com-2

I am really pleased with this and this was using a new (to me) paint, more details on they way…

What do you think of my Frenchie coastal blue cafe chair for a bit of beach decor?

Oui or non?

Bonsoir

76 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 62 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 4 Buffer 9 76 Flares ×

44 Responses to “Beach Decor – How to Paint a French Cafe Chair for coastal living”

1. Alison says:

I think it looks so pretty, it is such a lovely shade of blue & looks so cute against a white background.
    loving it!
    x

thanks so much Alison, I was unsure about the colour at first but once it dried and I put it next to the white it was just what I was looking for x

2. Love this chair, Sara. So fresh and summery!

3. Oui! Absolutely. Your Frenchie coastal blue cafe chair is gorgeous!!
    I recently bought a lovely blue outdoor table and chair, but they could both use a paint. I love the colour you’ve used – this could work for my outdoor setting too.
    PS. I think everyone should have white painted furniture in their lives. One day I will get brave and bold and paint some of mine!!

4. Jane says:

Love the color but the pictures are so distorted not sure exactly what the chair looks like. At the moment it looks verrrry talllll annnd verrrry skinnnnny. Hope the pics get better soon as I always look forward to your photos.

Can’t wait to see the gray!

• Anonymous says:

Pics are now perfect – thank you so much. Chair is adorable and love the bench holding the mirror too.

5. Marti says:

Oui Oui!!!!!

6. Love your choice if blue. Seems perfect in your cottage.

7. So pretty! The legs look a bit wonky on the before shot, is it the angle or did you have to do some repair work?

That blue is so fresh. I love it!

8. Mumofsix says:

Love the blue. Perfect. I’m looking forward to hearing what paint you used. I spray painted some cheap ikea stools at the weekend. Wasnt quite as easy as I thought it would be! Xx

9. Love!!! I just got some free paint and am going to be painting a chalkboard frame an aqua color. Great minds think alike!

10. Tamara says:

Definitely Oui!! Blue is my fave colour and the French blue absolutely transforms that chair – dare I say it I prefer it to the white ones ;-)

11. Bonjour Madam Sarah….
    Oui Oui…tres bons!!

au revoir!!~~ x

12. IrishMum says:

Bien sûr oui!

13. kelli says:

I love the blue! It is an unexpected pop of color.

Regarding the photos…I’m still having a bit of an issue. Some of them won’t load and others are very pixelated and difficult to view. Thought you should know. It’s strange, this is the first time I’ve ever had any issues with the always-lovely pictures on your site.

14. Lusine says:

So charming! I love the pop of blue in a room that’s mostly white and neutral….your photos are beautiful!

thanks so much for your kind words on my photos…

yep I love me a pop of colour…there’s a lot of white here and it’s going whiter soon lol x

oui j’adore cette couleur!!! It is my favorite color though so I may be biased… Love the pop against all your white how lovely it is.I can’t wait to see the rest!

16. Neen says:

Perfect blue, gives the chair a new life…….:) Neen

17. Jennifer says:

Hi Sarah
    Of course I Loooove this makeover!
    Guess what I was showing my mum your blog and she said we have a Bistro Chair rusting away in the garage !!
    So if course we gave it a home,its a really nice turquoise color however mum wasn`t kidding when she said it was rusting … I haven`t had the courage to start the make over yet as I m so in love with turquoise …any tips please
    much love
    x
    jenni

Hi

Lucky you to have one to paint!

I would use a primer on it that is anti-rust, I use Zinsser and then just paint away! If you don’t use a primer then you will get rust come through – how do I know this? I painted some others white and now they are rusty white ;-)

x

18. merilyn says:

oui j’dore that flat almost chalky look french blue colour sarah. it looks so fresh and french!
    but turquoise is also gorgeous jenni how lucky are you? it is very european especially if worn.
    also i loved the brown rustic bit nordic before as well call me versatile and all good with white!
    lol m:) x

19. Deb says:

So very pretty! Perfect blue for the beach cottage! Love it! Xx

20. Claire says:

You are talking my language here Sarah! x

21. Rukmini Roy says:

oh! Oui! Definitely oui!
    I love this blue…powder blue is it? or French blue is a different blue? Frankly can’t tell the diff much but the fact that its looking fabulous. We are taking a flat with an attached terrace- so finally some good blue chairs would make sense!

Looking lovely Sarah!

22. Shar Y says:

I love the blue chair. Good color! Nice pop of color!

23. Michelle says:

Mais Oui! I like it – I like it a lot and I’m glad you chose the blue and not pink on this little objet.

24. Maybe you can write next articles mentioning this info.

25. Leesa says:

Very interesting points you might have remarked,
    thankyou for posting.

26. Garden state says:

Only wanna tell the way the is very helpful, Thank you taking your efforts to put in
    writing this.

27. Sharon Nickel says:

Do you still have the painting tips on your blog? Painting the old furniture etc. in how and what you use?

28. Catherine says:

Dear Sarah- Greetings from the Jersey Shore USA! l love your blog! I stumbled onto it tonight. In your picture you have a Tan and White striped pillow. Well, I have been looking everywhere for that fabric, and can not seem to find it. Would you share your source? Best Wishes!