beach cottage recipe roasted tomato and red pepper soup

Mon 6th, May, 2013

38 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 20 Google+ 2 Pin It Share 9 Buffer 7 38 Flares ×

20130506-01-ROASTED-TOMATO-AND-RED-PEPPER-SOUP-WITH-CHEESY-POLENTA-WEDGES-5

Good morning lovely Beach Cottage ladies, here with a lovely roasted red pepper and tomato soup with cheesy polenta wedges recipe today (oh and it’s gluten free by the way – with a few friends who are gluten free I have become aware of how important this is!)

…Autumn is slowly turning into Winter here on the beaches, and it’s getting chilly here in the evenings, yeah yeah I know that I am a bit of a wimp where the weather is concerned nowadays and anything under 20C and I am rugged up or should I say Ugged up and walking around with a hot water bottle under my jumper.

But with cooler weather comes one very good thing, my favourite thing to eat, soup, not that I don’t eat it year round, in Winter it just means I have excuses to make it more.

20130506-02-ROASTED-TOMATO-AND-RED-PEPPER-SOUP-WITH-CHEESY-POLENTA-WEDGES-4

So with soup in mind I would like you to say G’day to Catherine here today to share with us a really easy soup she loves and jazzes up just a little bit with polenta – this is my kinda recipe all over…bring it on.

I first met Catherine at a conference last year, she is surely a lovely and adores similar things to me, I am sure you are going to love her and her little shop too (find her gorgeous things here)…Catherine is a native of Toronto but, like me, is making the Lucky Country her new home…I’d love you to give her and her  roasted red pepper and tomato soup recipe a warm welcome here in Beach Cottage Land…

20130506-03-tomato-capsicum-soup-11-1-of-1

Hello Beach Cottage ladies! I am so thrilled to be venturing out from The Spring Cottage today to share my first recipe in BC Land. When it comes to cooking, Sarah and I are all about simple, honest home-style fare and I know as a long time member of this community that y’all appreciate a ‘real-life’ approach to creating in the kitchen too. We all need delicious tried, tested, quick and easy recipes that can feed a whole hoard without breaking the bank and I’ll be sharing a few of those recipes over here in Beach Cottage Land, I hope you love it!

20130506-04-ROASTED-TOMATO-AND-RED-PEPPER-SOUP-WITH-CHEESY-POLENTA-WEDGES-1-1-of-1

ROASTED TOMATO AND RED PEPPER SOUP

WITH CHEESY POLENTA WEDGES

I thought we’d kick things off with a jazzed up version of a comfort food classic – tomato soup and grilled cheese. Starting with the main dish, this roasted tomato and red pepper soup is packed with flavour and it’s a dawdle to make; you’ve only to roughly chop the veg, toss it all on a baking tray and shove it in the oven. Roasting the tomatoes and capsicum (if you’re Aussie!) adds so much extra sweetness to the soup, and you don’t have to worry about your pot boiling over.

20130506-05-ROASTED-TOMATO-AND-RED-PEPPER-SOUP-WITH-CHEESY-POLENTA-WEDGES-2-1-of-1

For a beautifully savoury accompaniment that happens to be gluten free, I like to serve up this soup with my cheesy polenta wedges instead of the usual bread rolls. If you’ve never cooked polenta you’re in for a fantastic surprise because it’s super cheap and cooks up into a into a gorgeously creamy porridge in less than 5 minutes. Once cooled, the polenta firms up so you can cut into wedges, top with cheese, and grill the whole thing under the broiler to round out a genius mid-week super fix.

Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup

Prep & Cooking time: 50min // servings: 4-6

1 kg tomatoes halved or quartered depending on the size
1 large red onion (cut into chunky slices)
2 red peppers (deseeded and cut into chunky pieces)
6 cloves garlic (left whole in skins)
olive oil (a generous drizzle)
sea salt
black pepper
500 ml salt-reduced vegetable or chicken stock
A few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
A few dashes of Tabasco for those who like it hot!

1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
  2. Add the tomatoes, red peppers, onion and garlic to a baking tray, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle generously with olive oil. Mix it all around with your hands.
  3. Bake for about 30-45 minutes until the veg are sweet, shrivelled, and just slighly charred.
  4. Bring the stock to the boil and add the Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces.
  5. Pick the garlic out from the roasted vegetables and squeeze the soft cloves from the skins. Add all the vegetables and their juices into the boiling stock.
  6. Purée using a hand blender, but don’t worry about getting it perfectly smooth – a bit of texture is nice in this soup.

20130506-06-ROASTED-TOMATO-AND-RED-PEPPER-SOUP-WITH-CHEESY-POLENTA-WEDGES-6

Cheesy Polenta Wedges

Cook time: 10 mins + cooling time // servings: 8

1l water
2 tsp salt
175g instant polenta
2 garlic cloves, crushed
50g butter
50g parmesan cheese + extra to serve
Olive oil for brushing
Fresh parsley & rosemary for garnish

1. Lightly oil a 9 X 12 inch baking tin.
  2. Bring the water to a boil, add the salt, then slowly whisk in the polenta in a steady stream. Turn down the heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the grains have swelled and thickened.
  3. Remove from the heat and immediately whisk in the butter, garlic, parmesan, and pepper until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and leave to cool. (This can be done a day or two in advance, or just before you get the soup started so the porridge can cool as the veggies roast)
  4. In the tin, cut the firmed polenta into large squares, then diagonally in half to make triangles. Pop under the broiler for a few minutes to re-heat the polenta and create a crispy crust.
  5. Serve immediately garnished with grated parmesan and chopped herbs.

1. Lightly oil a 9 X 12 inch baking tin.
    5. Serve immediately garnished with grated parmesan and chopped herbs.

That’s it!

I love this Beach Cottage ladies, and I hope you do – super easy, super budget friendly but with a little bit of special thrown in for good measure, just how I like it .

See you next time

Catherine blogs at The Spring Blog, a window into life around her little cottage in Brisbane’s leafy inner South… If you press your nose up to the glass long enough you’ll see posts about personal style, favourite recipes, crafty projects, home decor, health, beauty, gardening … and her picks for the best things to do, see, and eat in South-East Queensland..

20130506-07-ROASTED-TOMATO-AND-RED-PEPPER-SOUP-WITH-CHEESY-POLENTA-WEDGES-51

38 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 20 Google+ 2 Pin It Share 9 Buffer 7 38 Flares ×

52 Responses to “beach cottage recipe roasted tomato and red pepper soup”

1. [...] Good morning all! I’m off in Beach Cottage land today making roasted tomato and red pepper soup with cheesy polenta wedges. It’s the first in a series of posts I’ll be teaming up with Sarah to share… And we hope you love following along as much as we love hanging out together with all the BC ladies by the virtual seaside. Please do click over and  check us out here! [...]

2. [...] Good morning all! I’m off in Beach Cottage land today making roasted tomato and red pepper soup with cheesy polenta wedges. It’s the first in a series of posts I’ll be teaming up with Sarah to share… And we hope you love following along as much as we love hanging out together with all the BC ladies by the virtual seaside. Please do click over and  check us out here! [...]

3. Hope you all enjoyed the post – thanks to Sarah for hosting me so hospitably! x Catherine @ The Spring

4. IrishMum says:

You are funny, you don’t really walk around with a hot water bottle, do you? It’s cold here in Melbourne too, but never cold enough to look like an old granny ;)

yes actually I do, you should try it if you get cold, it’s absolutely such a good way to warm up without warming up a whole house ;-)

• IrishMum says:

I’ll bet it is, and very ecological friendly. It sure does get cold here, so I just wear some M&S thermals in the winter, does the job nicely :) I never put my heating on, it just blows out the thin walls and windows. My house has NO insulation!

• I’ve never been in an Aussie home with good insulation… To combat the problem of cold in The Spring Cottage I bought a heating pad on my bed when I moved to Brisbane… Ironically I never had one before in Canada! That’s my favourite way to keep warm in winter… other than soup…

• IrishMum says:

Hi Catherine, you soup looks delicious! I have another favourite way to keep warm in bed, not heating pad required ;)

hahaha we did the same when we moved to Australia – I never would go near an electric blanket in England, just didn’t need it with central heating, double glazing and insulation, here with rattly windows, drafts and no insulation it was one of my first (and very much loved for 3 months of the year) purchases…ditto to draft excluder, thermal underwear, Uggs and going to bed early haha xx

yes our old cottage is the same, typical Aussie old house with terrible insulation, it’s on our never-ending list of things to get done, though I have now got some things in place once Winter gets here to keep everything toasty…I do use the hot water bottle trick in the daytime especially if I am on the computer b/c it’s generally not too cold outside and often lovely and warm in the sunshine anyway but sitting around makes you cold, so I don’t want or need the whole room/house to be warm, just me to warm up – amazing what one small hot water bottle can do hahah x

• Patricia says:

I’m a Melbournian, and yes I have carried my hot water bottle around. Love them. Warm, comforting, soothing.

• Patricia says:

Replied wrong place below.

I’m a Melbournian, and yes I too have carried my hot watter bottle around. Love them. Warm, comforting and soothing.

5. Suzanne says:

oooh fab post!! going over to check put Catherine’s blog now!! Thanks for sharing Sarah!! xx

6. Oh yum! I’m so doing this. Thanks for sharing

7. This looks lovely AND do-able…thank you Catherine for sharing!! I’m off now to visit your cottage. Maybe with a hot water bottle stuffed up my top… xx

8. Oh, I’m so doing this! Love polenta. Love.

9. Rukmini Roy says:

LOVE in a bowl. Mum makes something like this often in winter and we generally go for it with cheese bread. Never had polenta before though :)
    Considering a bowl full of this can make my ear steam, right now, I’ll save this for later. We are facing 40 degrees and above here- Not a good thing I tell you.
    Would love if you do some more smoothies…I tried your green smoothie out and (quite unlike me) loved it :)

• 40+ degrees sounds far too hot for me too Rukmini, and I love the heat! Sarah’s greens smoothies are super good, and if you’re looking for another feel good blender recipe may I suggest my choco-coco-nana smoothie? It’s the water of one young coconut (or one pack of cocobella) half a banana (fresh or frozen) and a tsp of raw cocoa powder. Blend it up and be refreshed – for me, there’s nothing better when it’s boiling out and I’m feeling parched! x Catherine @ The Spring

• Rukmini Roy says:

Oh! thank you Catherine! young coconut water is abundant here so I’ll use a fresh one! :)
        Congratulations on the teaming up with this rocking lady. Just saw your blog :)

10. Smaggle says:

Oh shut up! This looks amazing! So doing the polenta bites.

11. Perfect!!
    Thanks Catherine & Sarah! My 15 year old is a soup lover and very handy round the kitchen- I just bought my first lot of polenta and am currently cleaning and sorting my pantry, (not really a 6:15pm job with three kids but sometimes these things happen don’t they!) and literally just pulled it out and thought I need to get onto this now, the week I’ve bought it…
    We are big vege roasters here, but I never think of then turning them into soup!
    Again..thanks for the recipe C and the introduction to another lovely blog S…heading over there now…
    Melissa :)

OMG Sarah what a good idea (the hot water bottle)! I was freezing my tush off today (still am). I am wearing 3 layers and a blanket and still shivering (what is wrong with me! it is ridiculous.) I already put it on the shopping list! Oh thanks for the tomato soup recipe! I love tomato soup! Those polenta wedges sound (and look) amazing…Sadly can’t have those but will make them for the kids and hubby I am sure they will love them! Thanks Catherine and Sarah! ;)

• Pleasure, Alice! I feel the cold horribly too, so I know just what you mean… It’s not cute, but I like tucking my hot water bottle inside a fluffy bathrobe, held in place with the waist belt… SO cosy!

• Alice says:

hee hee… I was dreaming up ways of carrying it around with me outside the house. Tucking it inside my pants (lol how glamorous daaahrling) was an option. I may have to get myself some scrap fabric and my thread out and perhaps sew some large pockets into the inside of some of my larger coats to carry it around (yep that determined to keep warm). Just finished a bowl of your soup… Absolutely delicious! Will become a regular feature in this house! I am(well the hubby and kids though I think I am going to be cheeky and sneak one in too) yet to try the polenta wedges (on the shopping list with the hot water bottle)! Thanks again!

so glad you liked it!

I stuff it in my waistband or just kinda wedge it under my jumper – really works well x

13. Tamara says:

Sounds like a scrummy super easy meal – going to try it next week :-) Never had any luck with making polenta before but going to give it another go – thanks Catherine X

14. Jenny Bowman says:

Goodness hot water bottles when it’s 20 degrees, we are just celebrating reaching that and sitting out in the garden! Up to now it has been nearer 4. Love the recipe though and will be trying it out, I can eat soup whatever the weather and this looks delicious.

Yes I know, but you do get used to warmer weather so it’s all relative – it was 14C last night and we were acting like it was the Arctic!

15. Selby says:

Yum that looks superb!

16. Jan says:

Just a silly girl, me, realizing I entered your mini iPad contest not hours, but two DAYS after the deadline! Silly, silly. This soup looks and sounds delish! Will have to try. Loving your blog and gaining ideas for our own beach cottage in Indiana that is only 1000 miles from the nearest ocean. Take care.

The photos of the soup made my mouth water.

18. Marti says:

Is there an easy way for me to convert your receipes to American measurements? Even though it’s warming up here, that soup sounds too good to skip…

ahhh Marti I am not sure, I think there are online converters, it’s a good soup!

19. JacqMum says:

Hi,
    would love to make the recipes, but there are no instructions posted, only ingredients (27/5/13).

Not sure why they aren’t showing. Clues? Anyhow, am having a go at the soup now, and shall invent the polenta method. Haven’t ever used it before, so this should be interesting!

hello! I am hoping this is fixed now, have a look and let me know thanks – I can see directions when I look at it on the blog x

• JacqMum says:

Yep. Thanks. Just reading the info and, surprisingly, I got it mostly right.
        Cant wait for dinner as it looks and smells amazing.

I hope you like it! Love to hear what you think if you get a chance to leave me a comment xx

20. [...] Except unless your winter Sundays look more like soup. In which case you might like this recipe here. I added in bacon and goat’s cheese as well. [...]

21. Greetings! Very useful advice within this article! It is the little changes that will make the most significant changes.
    Thanks for sharing!