A Beach Cottage Thursday Night Vintage Furniture Post

Thu 7th, Mar, 2013

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

20130307-01-beach-cottage-white-paint-furniture-up-cycle-re-cyle-more-at-abeachcottage.com_

Hello!  Popping in to show you a piece of vintage furniture I have been working on after its first coat…I think it might have been saying please paint me white!

This piece has been with us for more than a few years now…obviously halfway between someone else’s restoration project when I found it for pennies…someone who was with me at the time and is in the furniture business told me it wasn’t even worth those pennies, but I liked it anyway and threw it in the back of the car…

BEFORE

20130307-02-IMG_3424

I liked the shape, I liked the way the paint had crazed and gone all patchy from whatever was used to get the old layer of paint off (or perhaps someone used one of those crackle glaze things to actually get this look?)…

20130307-03-IMG_3428

Anyway, it never looked right though and so I didn’t do anything with it, except walk past it…it went downstairs in the garage for a while too…

20130307-04-IMG_3427

The problem was that really I couldn’t quite bring myself to paint the wood on the top…not that it’s fancy for anything, indeed it was erring on the orange…but something stopped me from Beach Cottaging it.

20130307-05-IMG_3429

Until recently…

And oh my, quite amazing what some paint does for sure….

Already just with the first coat, looking like life here might be quite good for this piece…not sure where final resting place will be but I am thinking maybe on the deck near the Adrondacks for a few books and drink bits and bobs etc….and nice to be able to display a few things on

I’ll be finishing it off tomorrow with any luck

What do you think so far?

Beach Cottage Newsletter goes out today! click here to sign up

p.s. if you’ve had your eye on my e-course How to Blog, Beach Cottage Newsletter subscribers get $10 off this weekend only, yay!

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

21 Responses to “A Beach Cottage Thursday Night Vintage Furniture Post”

1. Julie Johnson says:

I like it. I’m glad you left the front the way it was. It gives it character.

2. It’s looking great, good find. Looking forward to seeing the finished item!

3. Amanda says:

Love it!

4. Deb says:

That white paint is working its magic already…what a difference! Love the character of the front as well. This great piece is just begging for a pitcher of flowers and a lemonade…

5. Love it! Yes leave the front as is, it does give it the character it needs.

6. Selby says:

Looks great! Giving me courage to think about tackling my rather orangish dressing table that’s been waiting a year since I bought it opping for me to get rid of someone else’s half done bad resto & paint it up nicely:)

Can’t wait to see the final reveal!

Xx

7. Candy says:

Love it! Would have grabbed it up without hesitation, as well. My look, for sure, although I get a lot of funny looks, especially from my grown son…lol. He prefers the ‘real’ untouched antiques. What Ev!!

8. Deb says:

Love it! Awesome find. x

9. Clare says:

Love it, now I really must tackle all those projects in the garage!

10. Oh the power and magic of white paint…looks great! And I know one particular lady who is defo signing up for a certain e-course this w’end!!! Thanks…..xx

11. merilyn says:

HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY to you sarah and
    all who the women from all over the world how visit your blog!
    you certainly contribute to world love and peace. thankyou m:)

I love the cupboard. I have faith in whatever you come up with. You know, I do have a bit of a thing about these kind of cupboards. What IS that?

13. Rukmini Roy says:

Its great! White is “The” color Im telling you.
    Love that hanger beside it too.

You know what, I am a BIG FAN of you. A big one.

14. claude says:

totally in love with your home, your DIY… and your blog (freshly discovered today!)

15. Michelle says:

Hi Sarah,
    I just have to tell you how much I am in LOVE with your blog. I am so happy to find someone else with a love of all things white, Australian beaches (I am in Brisbane), scarves with everything and a good stripe. I adore your fashion posts and want to steal everything in your wardrobe.

16. Cindy says:

Absolutely love it. I live in British Columbia Canada and white is the best color to brighten our grey winters. I have just painted everything and I mean everything white in our bathroom….I am now spending way too much time in there just enjoying the light. Now looking at other rooms with paintbrush in hand! Love your blog, your sense of humor, your photos are to die for, and of course Barls….thank you for making my Canadian winter day brighter!

17. Catherine says:

Great piece of vintage furniture. Amazing what you can do (have done!) with sn item picked up for pennies, a good eye for detail and a little bit of (hard) work!

18. Monica says:

Wow, looks really nice already

19. Mikey F. says:

Love the way it looks now. And I agree that the door looks so cool like that. Very idiosincratic.

Love it.