A Beach Cottage Coastal How to Paint Mason Jars Tutorial

Sun 17th, Mar, 2013

6.4K Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 6.4K Buffer 1 6.4K Flares ×

20130317-01-a-beach-cottage-nautical-blog-how-to-paint-mason-jars-tutorial-abeachcottage.com_

Morning Beach Cottage ladies!

OK, so I think that it is pretty reasonable to assume now that it is not safe to leave one alone in the house with Mason Jars – you may, like me, also refer to these humble little items around the house that regularly hold as part of their occupation, jam (you may refer to that as jelly), jalapenos, marmalade or pickle.  I intersperse between the two names.  Because I am so very international like that.

If you love yourself a mason jar, and love yourself some white about your home, this today could be the place for you, how to paint mason jars, people it is the easiest bit of crafting and painting you will ever do.

20130317-02-Collage 20130317-03-abeachcottage-coastal-nautical-beach-house-decorating-blog-abeachcottage.com_

There will be a lot of Mason Jars for the next week in Beach Cottage Land, humour me people, sad & lonely cat lady on the beaches of Sydney with wobbly upper arms….you may, or may not wish to participate in the wrapping, painting & foofing of Mason Jars at your peril.

20130317-04-abeachcottage-how-to-paint-mason-jars-tutorial-abeachcottage.com_ 20130317-02-Collage

So, white painted Mason Jars, a really easy, simple and effective way to foof a few flowers, try your hand at the elusive thing they call craft (and get some pleasure out of it) and display things prettily to show your home some love.

20130317-05-a-beach-cottage-coastal-decorating-blog-how-to-paint-mason-jars-tutorial-abeachcottage.com_ 20130317-06-a-beach-cottage-blog-how-to-paint-mason-jars-tutorial-abeachcottage.com_ 20130317-07-abeachcottage-how-to-paint-a-mason-jar-tutorial-abeachcottage.com_ 20130317-08-beach-cottage-blog-how-to-paint-mason-jars-abeachottage.com_

How to Paint Mason Jars

1. clean & make sure jars are super dry

2. paint jars from top down using a tiny amount of paint

(you can use emulsion (water based) or gloss (oil based) paint – water based will give a more matte finish but will mark easily, oil based will give a smoother glossy finish)

3. allow to dry

4. apply a second coat

5. fill with flowers, wrap with string and enjoy

a beach cottage coastal vintage style decorating blog sydney australia

20130317-09-abeachcottage-coastal-decorating-blog-more-pics-abeachcottage.com_

Always good in my book to include the addition of listening to the radio while one is partaking in any kind of craft, whether wearing just undies or fully clothed…this one involved the wearing of undies (the BC fool proof solution to painting in the daytime without having to ruin or change your clothes) and the listening to BBC Radio 4, feel free to change your choice of station, I do believe Radio 4 is an acquired taste.

20130317-10-beach-cottage-coastal-decorating-blog-how-to-paint-mason-jars-tutorial-abeachcottage.com_

And, I have to say, the addition of some string, jute, twine, whatever you like to call it, also works a treat in contrast to the white and country feel of the newly painted jars you have perched all over your old cottage, you get to wrap it around and add a little bit of zee rustic too.

I mean hello, can life be any better than that?

20130317-11-beach-house-blog-how-to-paint-mason-jars-tutorial-more-at-abeachcottage.com_

And with that I will leave you…get ready for some Mason Jar love, coming to a blog near you very soon

20130317-02-Collage

p.s. thanks for the Barley love, he is fine and right now curled up like a tiny baby in his little house beside me, he is not blogging for a bit while my new site is being designed – once it’s up and ready he’ll have his own little place on this blog with bells on

p.p.s you can listen to the joy that is BBC Radio 4 here, umm & indulge in this radio drama while painting anything that doesn’t move white

p.p.p.s Beach Cottage Cat Lady newsletter goes out today, don’t miss

p.p.p.s. Happy Monday lovelies, have a good week, the sun is shining here x

20130317-12-a-beach-cottage-nautical-blog-how-to-paint-mason-jars-tutorial-abeachcottage.com_1

29 Responses to “A Beach Cottage Coastal How to Paint Mason Jars Tutorial”

1. Claire says:

Ha ha Sarah, glad to see you still listen in to The Archers on Radio 4, such a British institution! Love these mason jars of yours, such a cute idea and so simple. Have a great Monday, we’re still in Sunday night over here in Blighty x

yes Claire I am talking to a friend in Blighty right now sitting here on Monday morning in the sunshine while she is tucked up in bed :-)

love listening to The Archers over here – seems SOOOOO English to me now lol x

2. Mandy Parker says:

Hi Sarah
    Dd you use a white Gloss paint?
    Thanks
    Mandy

I use both emulsion and gloss – the emulsion gives them a much more matte finish but marks more easily – the smaller ones at the front of the pics are gloss.

Hope that helps x

• Mandy Parker says:

Thanks sarah …have boxes full of Jars of all kinds, which i use alot for my Flowers, but want to try the white look, which will suit a ‘Vintage’ style Wedding I am doing in May.
        Will send you some pics!

it’s perfect for a wedding, I was thinking that as I was doing it…you might need a few attempts to not get streaks (or could use a sponge roller) – also looks better tied with something I think x

I’d LOVE some pics x

3. Where could one get their hands on a good supply of Mason jars?

I meant to add that, you can get them in Coles and Woolworths and lot of dollar shops.

x

• Anonymous says:

FYI on finding Mason jars. In the states you can get them at Walmart, by the case. There are Walmarts everywhere here! Hope that helps.

4. too funny! I would kill for a jar with a label that cool!! lol

Have a happy week Sarah!

5. Ooohh I’ve been wanting to do this for ages. Love the white and would like to try a few in pastels too. Please humour me now while I throw a stupid- probably -obvious-to-everybody-else qstn at you…have you painted the inside or outside of the jar????!? Thank you lovely cat lady….xx

6. Sarah says:

Do you glue the string on? Also, is that a vintage radio I spied in the background?

it is not a vintage radio, but it is a vintage style radio :-)

no just tie the string around and secure by looping under x

7. Jojo3b says:

Haha… Funny to note I’m not the only one who does craft ( amongst other householdy things ) in her underwear. They look lovely. ( the mason jars not my underwear !) okay…I’m going now . Enjoy your day. Jojo :)

8. Lark says:

Great idea! I do have a few jars hanging around that need some love.
    p.s. Your photography just seems to amaze me every time I click on over. Stunning!!!

9. Candy says:

Ooh, I LOVE these and I love to paint anything white and the twine is devine!

10. Rowen says:

Oh I love comments! I had a couple of questions to ask and they’ve been answered already :-) whether to paint inside or outside and what to glue the string with! Thanks ladies and Sarah. Great idea I will start collecting jam jars (I’m in the UK). They look amazing I like the way each wrapping is different, thanks Sarah. Rowen@Coastal Colours x

11. Tamara says:

I do all my sewing listening to Radio 4 – it’s like a comfort blanket but as you say an acquired taste! My husband can’t understand it at all. Love your white jars, a brilliant way to get some affordable vases in the house X

12. Shar Y says:

cant wait to try this both with white and pale aqua! Thanks for the beauty!

13. Anonymous says:

Love that photo looking down on the single white chrysanthemum and the purple flower.

I love working at home to ABC 702. Conversation with Richard Fidler and Afternoons with James Valentine. Fabulous background chat that gently uses my fatigued left brain and utilises my under-used right brain.

Cheers

14. Anonymous says:

LOVE that photo of the single white chrysanthemum and the purple flower.

I’ll try ABC 4. I love listening to “Conversations” with Richard Fidler at 11am and “Afternoons” with James Valentine at 1pm on ABC 702. These programs are great background chat and soothe my tired left brain while stimulating my under-used right brain.

Cheers

15. So simple and sweet. Adding the jute twine just made it oh so beach cottage. Loving the raspberry & whites!