just Beach Cottage love

Mon 25th, Feb, 2013

6 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 5 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 1 6 Flares ×

Sponsored Post for Abbotts Village Bakery

20130225-01-abeachcottage-blog-avocado-toast2

G’day lovely Beach Cottage people.

OK, I don’t think it is any surprise to anyone that I love bread and I always have done and I don’t, really, think I could choose my favourite way to eat it…with my Friday night curry Indian style, yes please, a baguette in the basket of my bike, still warm and ready for some Brie, I die, a lil’ Ciabatta with my sun blush toms & basil, don’t mind if I do.

Mostly though I love toasted bread.

A lot.

To me it’s simple, tasty, nutritious easy and just says home and comfort and in a funny way love…it’s something that has comforted me at many times in my life… a cup of tea and a slice of hospital toast (read : white, processed, thinly sliced and oodles of butter) was the snack after Honeymoon Baby arrived on the scene all bouncing 9lbs of him…toast with a good old helping of that brown stuff peculiar to the Brits and the Aussies, going by a couple of names but bottom line yeast extract, has gotten us through many a sticky situation in this here old cottage…and let us just say that toast with jam (I can offer you home-made and any number of different fruits, combos and varieties) is a take-to-bed and watch movies Beach Cottage given.

20130225-02-abeachcottage-avocado

For those reasons, and the fact that I have a certain teenager and another boy in this here cottage who have hollow knees, and love themselves a slice of toast or twenty-five (how unfair is it that I have to observe them eating so much and seemingly growing abs at the same time, while I, ahem do the opposite…) I am well versed in having a pantry and indeed a freezer full of bread…ready to be slung in the toaster and eaten as a before school/before sport/after school/after sport snack or indeed at any time of the day.

Hence, I am always on the lookout for easy wholesome bread with extras and healthy things thrown in for good measure so that said boys and woman who eats copious amounts of toast will be happy – killing two birds with one stone on the bread front is a fave cheat of mine.

20130225-03-abeachcottage-avocado-on-toast-recipe

So when Abbott’s Village Bakery contacted me about their breads  (see video below), I must say it was already on my radar, the Harvest Seeds and Grains is often in rotation around here, it’s tasty and wholesome and I love the dustings of toppings.  No- one in their infinite wisdom has thrown in a few extra colours or flavours for you…there’s no nasty stuff. It’s free range bread! I like the sound of that. Hello!

And this then is one of my favourite ways for a toasted bread snack – avocado on toast…

20130225-04-abeachcottage-recipe-avo-on-toast

…avo on toast is like a genius food and definitely in the Beach Cottage Too Easy category – easy, delicious, simple and takes minutes to make…my kinda recipe…and perfect with a seedy bread like Abbott’s Seeds and Grains.

20130225-05-a-beach-cottage-avocado-on-toast-recipe

20130225-06-IMG_1916

I have dabbled with this a lot since first having it in a café when we arrived on these Australian shores and there are many ways of foofing and fancying it up, but my favourite easy combo is lovely seedy bread topped with avocado (smashed or sliced) sprinkled with some sea salt, a grind of pepper and a squeeze of lemon or lime…served, if to be honest, I can be bothered, with some veggies on the side.

20130225-07-abeachcottage-toast1

Though you don’t need a recipe or me to tell you how to slice an avocado here it is…

Avocado on Toast

Seedy bread

1 avocado

Lemon or lime

Salt & Pepper

1. Toast bread

2. Slice or smash avocado onto toast

3. Season with salt & pepper & a squeeze of lemon or lime

That’s it and if you ever happen to be passing this old cottage in the morning, stop by, there’ll often be avo on toast on the go…

20130225-08-IMG_1924

What do you like on your toast?? I’d love to hear your different combos from wherever you are?

See you next time Beach Cottage lovelies.

Abbott’s Village Bakery is found in your local supermarket it’s full of lovely things! – and find out more about the world of Abbott’s Village Bakery at their Facebook page

abeachcottage blog avocado toast

6 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 5 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 1 6 Flares ×

30 Responses to “just Beach Cottage love”

1. Sarah says:

Mmmm good – I LOVE bread too and have been enjoying cozy breakfasts in bed each weekend with croissants warm from the oven SLATHERED with butter and honey – ugh! need I say more?? and a proper cuppa and I’m done for the day. Oh and I’m under my electric blankie – its a BLIZZARD outside right now in Downeast Maine – can you believe? I am so ready to kick old man winter to the curb!! ;-0

2. rosie says:

My favorite go-to breakfast before running off to work: hot seeded, whole grain toast with very crunchy peanut butter, topped with fresh blueberries! The PB glues those berries onto the toast so they don’t roll off onto the rug. Yummo – keeps me happy til lunch. And healthy as long as you don’t overdo the PB.

3. Nadine says:

Vogels! Vogel bread is a New Zealand delicacy – it is SO GOOD! Vogel toast with marmite is my go-to breakfast, but of course we’ve had no marmite for MONTHS due to factory damage in the Chch earthquake. Marmageddon baby! I love avocado on toast as you described, with hummus and tomato added. This morning I had hummus, quinoa salad and scrambled home-laid free-range eggs on toast. (Vogel toast of course!)

4. I am a toast lovin’ gal! Slap some strawberry or grape jelly on there and call it a day! peanut butter ain’t too bad either with or without the jelly.

5. Sonya says:

beautiful photos!!!!!

I am going to pick up this bread today – I saw it was on offer at my local supermarket in the week, I hope it still is, I’m also a big bread fan.

Sonya

6. LouiseJ says:

I have never had avocado on toast, I luv this bread too :-)

7. Lassiegirl says:

Simple toast recipes here…lots of margarine under some sort of jam. We like strawberry, blackberry, and applebutter the most. Also, the creamy peanut butter, but must say I’m going to try the crunchy peanut butter now. The bread is usually white, whole grain white, or whole grain. Must really break out and try some different breads! Thanks for the post. This gets me thinking of getting more creative and mixing up the breakfast and snack (afternoon or midnight) menus.

8. Peta says:

I love vegemite and avocado on sourdough toast for breakfast… Mmmmm

9. Veggie Mama says:

I love Abbott’s bread! We get it all the time here. And there’s nothing better than avocado on toast… never thought to add radish though, that’s a bit clever! Watercress is nice too x

10. I’m definitely adding the radish next time … unfortunately my “normal” bread loving days are behind me.

11. Nettie says:

I had a delicious – avo on toast brekkie whilst in Melbourne – grain bread – smashed avo mixed with a smidgen of aioli and topped with a little crumbled feta -served with a side of roasted truss cherry tomatoes – simple but memorable

12. Nettie says:

And I meant to say – I luv Abbots bread and buy up when it’s on special 2 for

13. MDN says:

Sounds great! In my neighborhood, there’s a culinary program offering student creations from its own kitchen: The Bakery. Items there are wonderful, esp. the artisan breads…favs being whole wheat-oatmeal-pecan and potato-garlic. For the former, I do my own version of cinn. toast (cinnamon, stevia, clove, cardamom, ginger, & nutmeg). The latter’s tasty toasted w/ either hummus or tahini…or, mashed avocado & freshly grnd. bl. pepper (sometimes w/ a touch of sardine paste or capers & a tad of Tobasco-we’re in The South, after all)! To finish, either’s accompanied by homemade latte. (Our city’s “creme de la creme” is the Blue Dog Bakery – with each bread out-trumping the other!)

14. merilyn says:

all sounds good!
    i personally like a torn in half toasted pita bread in sandwich toaster
    a scraping of pesto with slices of fetta and tomatoes, cucumber … if you like , whatever really
    don’t go getting to clever with that knife tho!
    i also roast strips of capsicums in the sandwhich toaster,
    i often do onions, garlic, and zuccini like that … too easy … i’m a lazy cook!
    big impact tho and it all smells wonderful, like a pizza … put it all together and it tastes like one too!
    cheers!:) m

15. Annie@theholidayhouse says:

I buy up Abbot’s bread when it is on offer also, I like the rustic one, can’t remember the name of it right now but it toasts so well with just Vegemite.

Awesome styling girl – was there a stylist and photographer for these because it makes me want to dive right in?

16. Deb says:

Bread (toasted or not) with lots of butter and then either pour on the syrup or sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Toasted multi grain or wholemeal bread topped with ricotta (I use very low fat variety), sliced banana, raspberries and cinnamon. A great breakfast with a cappucino.

18. Amelia says:

toast with any eggs for me, scrambled or poached and heaps of sea salt plus pepper, I too have bread in the freezer for toast at all times, my kids have it for after school most days to, easy for me good for them, I also like it when feeling a bit crook x

19. Fiona says:

Sarah – i say this is all sincerity – You are the queen of the sponsored post. You really do it so well.
    I am also a big fan of avocado and multigrain. and a nice slice of leg ham…
    fiona

20. Calinhorely says:

Thank you for these beautiful images !
    I love your spoons! They are plastic ?

Thanks :)

21. please pass a plate this looks divine! Happy Monday wishes, xo

22. Le BHCH says:

I am a toast girl too … french toast on brioche is an absolute fav …. but I just as much love honey and cream on toast – yum! feel the love! :) Le xox

23. Karin says:

Lurve avocado on grainy toast – a bit of fresh ricotta on top of the avo is really good too! Beautiful photos

24. Janet Purcell says:

Love sourdough toast with Vegemite and avocado. Yummy!

25. Dimity says:

Hi Sarah, I have been having smashed avocado on the harvest grains breads for breakfast for the past 2 months! I must admit I am a tad late to this party I see… but I do have a new seasoning for you…. a sprinkling of pirri pirri! Yep, for breaky! It kick starts the metabolism for a great start to the day… nom nom nom :) xo

26. Shar Y says:

This looks so good. I love grainy bread and I love avo. So, this sounds like a great meal for breakfast lunch or dinner! Thanks and gorgeous photos!!

27. Resa Dance says:

That’s my kind of eating! Crusty, grainy bread with wide slices of avocado – yum – do it all the time! It’s funny because my most recent post is also about avocados. I should have admitted that I shamelessly slather my avocado on a big hunk of bread whenever I can. :) As always, love your post.
    Resa ~ Pitcher and Plate