a tablescape, a finger & a coastal lantern

Tue 19th, Feb, 2013

5 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 Buffer 2 5 Flares ×

20130219-01-abeachcottage-blog-1

Good Morning Beach Cottagers!

Just a quickie one-handed post from me this morning, no I haven’t had a baby (those days when you do everything one handed with a babba slotted into your hip are long gone) but I have sliced the top of my index finger off…I was slicing up some cucumbers a few days ago, and, if truth be known I was trying to be all Jamie-esque and do it really quickly….

20130219-02-beach-cottage-coastal-decor

…chop, chop, chop, chop slice off skin on top of finger.  Boyo did that baby bleed.  I was right in the middle of Arsenic Hour though and had no time to fuss with it, so I wrapped it in a huge wad of kitchen towel and got on with the job in hand.

And a few hours later did I, or did I not, know about it?  Have you ever done the same??? It’s actually a very small slice off of the top but the whole top of my finger swelled up and throbbed as if I had been hit on the end of my digit with a white-washed oar.

20130219-03-beach-cottage-blog6

Anyway long story short, it’s amazing what you do with the index finger of your right hand.  Let’s just say typing does not aid the healing process, especially the letter ‘m’ (if you read my post yesterday early on you were probably guffawing at the typos)…

20130219-04-beach-house-blog-dahlias

So today I am having a lunch at this old cottage without the use of my finger…taking it easy with a simple centrepiece tablescape…lovely dahlias, a lantern, candle and a few shells….on the menu is a fig salad with honey and other lovely stuff (figs are abundant and on offer at the market here).

Can’t go wrong with that I reckon?

Anyone like to come over for a sit on the deck for a bit of lunch?

See you tomorrow lovelies

p.s. Barls is looking cute over at his blog today, stop by!

20130219-05-abeachcottage-blog-2

5 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 Buffer 2 5 Flares ×

31 Responses to “a tablescape, a finger & a coastal lantern”

1. Wanderlust says:

Ouch! My finger smarts just reading that. Hope you heal up quickly. You managed a beautiful one-handed tablescape.

2. Janelle says:

Yes yes….sore finger…..etc etc……. now onto the important stuff.. LOVING your coastal lantern…beautiful!!!! xx ps…I am extremely queasy with sliced limbs…had to gloss over this post rather quickly. Whilst rubbing my fingers!! x

3. Melinda says:

oh please can I come and sit on the deck for a bit of lovely fig salad – Im surrounded by packing and moving and Im OVER IT………your deck and a relax sound just perfect for my running away !!

poor finger, have done that so many times am surprised there is anything left, amazes me how they grow back! And yes, always when no time for sympathy …. take care of thyself

anyway Im so impressed with your photos, do you find you are learning heaps with the course? What type of course ( duration, content) is it, I seemed to have missed that..

enjoy your break and think smugly how glad you are not to be hefting boxes and furniture today ;) xx

4. Oh hon!!
    I cringed as I read this…my eyes watered…needless to say I have done the same- flipping Jaime O- we can SO blame it on him!
    Anyway- photos are total heaven…

Hope it heals asap! x

5. Diana says:

Ohhh heal fast!

I love your lantern ~

I will join ya! Especially sitting next to that lovely lantern. May I ask where did you find it? I have been on the hunt for one just like it?!

I would say that Barls chances would be good in my household! I don’t know about Barls but my Bella… I just know when she wants something (something always food related)… Those damn eyes so gorgeous!

Hope your finger heals fast… I hate that throbbing sensation…It gets right into my head!

7. merilyn says:

just thinking before when i was doing some painting, what a “wonder woman” you are!
    and you are, one handledly you do everything and produce lovely tablescapes with gorgeous photos.
    a natural! … and a fantastic role model thank you Sarah :)
    when I cut my finger years ago I FAINTED !!! not good with that stuff!
    look after yourself! cheers m x

8. MDN says:

You poor thing! Know that this type of cut hurts SO badly…and for a long time, will be quite sensitive. Dependent upon the cut, you may want to consider getting a plastic guard/brace to wear over it to aid the healing for a couple of weeks. It’ll keep you from any direct hits. And, don’t pls. forget the bacitracin/neosporin type ointment, too!

Pics are great and your offer to join in enticing! Oh, if only a few thousand miles closer…

Barls is “the man” and appears to have the process down pat…with Mrs. BC wrapped around one of those front paws of his! (As it should be!)

Hope your recovery is quick.

9. Selby says:

Yowie!! Hope your poor hand feels much better soon!

As for lunch on the deck- yes please:) I’ll take that offer, sounds way better than what I’m currently doing which is
    Coughing my lungs up with some ferral cold flu thing & trying to wrangle a snotty toddler who senses my weakness;)

Those dahlias look divine as does the rest of the table setting.

Xx

10. Neen says:

Rest that finger luvvie…..;0
    luuuurve your lantern

11. Corina says:

Love the lantern!!! Can you tell what brand it is? Hopefully we can buy it here in Holland!
    Good luck with your finger!!!

Regards, Corina

12. Rukmini Roy says:

Eeeesh! That must have hurt, didn’t it. I am very prone to cuts and minor accidents and I know how it feels. Suddenly you realize the importance of a fully functional finger. It’s the best thing in the world at that time- a fully functional, unscathed finger.
    I recently had a rash from turpentine on my middle finger. It went ahead to have ugly boils and then very dry flaky skin that hurts. I really dont know how will I get rid of this.

13. ali thompson says:

hope your finger heals fast! amazing how much we use that darn finger.
    and, i love that rope lantern. so awesome & looks lovely on your table

14. All I can say is OUCH!!! As far as the tablescape, LOVE that candle/lantern thingy!

15. kath says:

Been there and done that with the finger. I was getting sympathy pains while reading this! I hope it feels better very soon! Love the lantern!

16. Oh Sarah – bloody hell – hope it heals soon xx

17. Lidija says:

I feel your pain, because I cut my fingers all the time :(
    My tablescape – conical vase full of white tulips , rope lantern, shells and fig scented candle (from Rituals ). lol
    Love corals too, but they are terribly expensive( 60 $ ! ) and hard to find in our stores .
    All in all , you are my soul and taste sister, Sarah :)
    About fig salad with honey – you already knew that I adore figs in any recipe , so please share your.
    Wishing you a quick recovery !

18. Motherofluvlies says:

Hi you don’t want to hear this now but Jamie does actually do a little video instruction on how to chop SAFELY and speedily on YouTube with his 30 minute meals……..ouch…no onions…lemons…oranges……eeeooooowwww.it always amazes me how much these cuts hurt!..in fact ,maybe time for the boys to learn to cook,maybe?on the upside,the bleeding clears the cut….take care..

19. Motherofluvlies says:

P.s love the lantern.xx

20. Shar Y says:

Ouch!! Makes me hurt just thinking about it! Milk it for all you can!

21. Molly says:

Love the lantern. Be careful. Ouch! I think the sharper the knives, the easier that is… :(

22. Karen says:

Sisters in pain! Mine’s not a cut though but broken toe. Seem to keep on knocking or kicking it as well!!! Just sitting on that deck must surely help with the pain though. Will wait for lanterns to go down in price a bit and try to get my daughter to get one for me and my husband to bring it home when he goes to Brisbane in June. I’m really loving the bike though. That shade of blue is so you and cute basket. Is it a cruiser? Have got mine down the beach but can’t wait to get down there again for a spin. Too hilly here in Ponsonby and mine has no gears. Hope the finger mends fast.
    cheers,
    Karen NZ

I hope you get better!

This one is not a cruiser, it has gears etc – we do have a cruiser too, it’s blue too x

23. Sorry about the finger Sarah! Been there done that.Ain’t no fun! Hope you heal fast. Beautiful tablescape regardless! You said you sliced your right finger are you a righty or a lefty? Anyhoo hope it heals fast!

24. Anonymous says:

Oh dear! Sounds painful, hope it heals fast!!

25. Kathy says:

Well, the finger sounds painful, and like a good reason to take it easy at your lovely table! And it does sound inviting to enjoy your sunshine on the beach, compared to the winter snowstorm with 40mph winds and whiteouts we are experiencing right now in Michigan! But we are snug in our warm house, and have the internet to go exploring the world from our chair. So glad we can come to Australia with you!

26. Tamara says:

Ouch! Did a similar thing myself a few years ago. Sight of blood too much for me and I woke up on the kitchen floor!! What a wuss! :-/ I hope your fingers heals soon X