a corn recipe I love

Tue 8th, Jan, 2013

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 2 2 Flares ×

20130108-01-IMG_9083

Helloooo lovelies!  Hope all is good with you.  Blogging today a delicious little recipe I love. It’s simple, cheap, easy and rocking Beach Cottage Land, I need that in my life always.

OK, I will start this with the fact that I love corn on the cob.  Corn on the cob goes back many many years for me…I can remember eating this as a little girl…deep in the depths of a tiny house in Kent for Sunday supper, straight out of the freezer (corn on the cob doesn’t quite rock it in the garden in Kent mostly) into boiling water and then served on 70’s silver trays complete with mini little forks that went in each end and with enough butter in to put a kilo on each little toe….add lots of salt but not the fancy salt that we all see nowadays, but table salt from one of those white plastic pouring tubs with red branding and Bob was very much your suburban English late 70’s uncle.

20130108-02-IMG_9068

To me, any corn is good and to be very honest I hadn’t dabbled with it much further than the butter and salt thing…though when we first came to Australia we discovered it barbecued which was a whole new ball game…

20130108-03-IMG_9087

But recently I came across a new way of flavouring it (I tried it from a street vendor and never looked back) and seeing as corn has been on offer recently I have now made this recipe a bunch of times until I found a combo I liked…and it ticks every single Beach Cottage Too Easy Recipe box – meaning simple ingredients, easy to make but tastes pretty darn hot…

Honey Corn

4 corn on the cob

4 tbsp butter

2 cloves garlic crushed

4 tbsp honey

salt & pepper

4 pieces foil large enough to wrap corn

1. place corn on foil and dot with butter on each corn

2. drizzle with honey & garlic, season with salt and pepper

3. pop in oven for 20 to 30 mins 220C

*Beach Cottage Recipe Notes :  you can use more or less honey or butter, the amounts here are approximate, I must say I like a lot of butter on mine just to add an extra jiggle to my upper arms for future nana moments…I also love me a hugeeee hit of garlic, you may not, adjust as to your liking

20130108-04-IMG_9056

These corns are really great served with some simple baked chicken or fish – you can prepare the corn earlier (I have made and wrapped in the morning) and then for dinner you can sling your meat in the oven and then just add the corn with 20 or so mins to go….serve with French bread and all is too easy in the world…also, good to do all of the above on the BBQ

Let me know if you try it, seriously lovely

Happy Days with the Naked Girl Down Under

Sarah xo

p.s. thanks to all of the messages re Barley and his blogging – he is having a blogging break while we are on holiday – he will be back soon – I didn’t realise how much you girls enjoyed his page lol, I can assure you he is aok xoxo

20130108-05-IMG_9068

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 2 2 Flares ×

31 Responses to “a corn recipe I love”

1. Susanne says:

My family all love corn on the cob, and we too have enjoyed it alot lately! I will be trying out your recipe tomorrow night for dinner. Thanks for the idea for a nice change.

2. Corn on the cob is one of my favorite foods! Can’t wait for summer to try this recipe out!

3. Julie Johnson says:

It’s also great on the grill. Wrap in foil about 15 min. or so. Delish! We tried this on a camping trip last year and it was a big hit.

4. Amanda says:

Looks divine……….fab idea to cook in the oven…had never thought of that way to cook them.
    Thanks for the ideax

5. kathie cheetham says:

Sounds wonderful! Can I offer a time saver we love? no need to remove the outer husk- I usually just trim the silk a bit on the very top. Remove any ugly outer green leaves. Place two corn in the microwave on high for 5 min. Carefully remove onto towel on the counter after cooking. I let them sit until all the corn is cooked. Pull the outer husk off. Leaves, stringy silk and all just come off leaving yummy corn on the cob. Add any butter and seasonings. Its really easy.

yes, nice one, I do that too…plus throwing the whole thing on the grill/bbq or in the oven with the husks…xxox

6. Selby says:

Wow sounds yum! & easy which I love- putting this on the to try list.

7. MDN says:

Sounds great! Interesting ingredient combo – will try! When it’s too cold/wet to grill, another really fast/easy way to prep fresh, still in husk corn is to microwave (2 – 5 min – time varies due to M/W voltage/# ears). Added bonus of this method is it’s the easiest way to remove silks. Instructions can be found here: http://www.thekitchn.com/search?q=microwave+corn+on+the+cob

One more fast/easy prep is to steam cleaned ears in M/W in an inch or so of H20. (Again, time depends upon M/W, # ears, & whether cobs are frozen or thawed. 2 – 10 min.)

2 other toppings to try (savory): 1 – Combine soft butter/margerine, lime juice, a bit of salt, & a touch of cayenne or Tobasco – amts. to your taste – & slather on corn; then, sprinkle on some parmesan. Tasty!; or, 2 – Combine soft butter/marg., salt, black pepper, horseradish, mustard, & fresh chopped parsley (or herbs) – amts. to your taste – & use liberally on corn. Mouthwatering!

W/ the corn, either combo above provides an unexpected explosion of flavors – quick & easy – the BC way…

As a kid I always felt special eating a cob of corn with those cute mini forks that looked like corn cobs stuck in each end of the cob.

sounds so good. I used to (I still do but sadly has been crossed out of my eating plan) love corn on the cob. This is great for my kiddos though… Sounds delish(and super quick big tick from me)!

10. Love the “nana moments” comment – it probably doesn’t translate well to most Americans, but I got a kick out of it.

• MDN says:

OK, do tell??? Have a couple of ideas, but? (Depends upon reference of word nana… if it means becoming a grandma, then = future flabby arms (jiggly bits), (Naive? Totally off base?), or, nana as in something “personal”? Ifso, details can remain unspoken…) E.g., I’ve heard “sprinkler” on East Coast USA means “water fountain” where I grew up or to “pack” something in the deep So. means to “carry” in the Midwest (We “pack” a suitcase or grocery bag.) Or, a generic “Coke” in the So. (esp. Atlanta area) = a “soda” the No. Ea. or in the midwest = “cola”.. This is why intercontinental BC blog is so intersting and one of the reasons Mrs. BC’s trips are so much fun to join from afar…sametimes things are the same, but are seen/called differently! Or some things are totally new to us, such as when Mrs. BC noticed our yellow school buses in NY (so prevalent thruout US, we don’t see them as uncommon), but double deckers in Canada/Europe are new to most Americans…

ahhh yes exactly why I love blogging!!! and love those yellow buses…plus like to hear those things you listed below..

nana arms yes indeedy grandma…my future jiggly bits are very much in training and going well ;-) x0x0x0

I didn’t realise that lol x

11. mellie lang says:

Gorgeous colours in this blog, love the red, blue, white & yellow.

12. Bec says:

Thanks for the recipe – trying it tonite with corn in oven as I type :)

13. Tammy says:

Thank you Sarah for that beautiful recipe, my family loved the corn for dinner tonight. It certainly went down a treat. Your blog is always inspiring thank you.

14. Aisling says:

Great corn recipe. I never thougtht of putting honey with corn so i was a bit dubious but the kids loved it. We had it with your christmas layered salad which also went down a storm. It would have been fun to do the corn on the bbq but althougnit was warm it was 100km winds here today.

15. HRH Sarah says:

aggghh, I adore corn on the cob!!! Can’t wait for summer, sigh…

16. Tamara says:

Ha ha love the bit about extra butter for those future nana moments on the arms! Deffo going to try this new combo YUM YUM X

17. Carole says:

Hi there. Food on Friday: Corn on Carole’s Chatter is now open for entries. This looks like a good one! I do hope you link it in. This is the link . Please do pop back to check out some of the other links. Have a great week.

Woolworths have those little corn cob holders in the shape of corn cobs at the moment. $2.79. They’re in blister packs displayed down between shelves of other products.