Coastal Christmas Decorating – Christmas Tree

Fri 7th, Dec, 2012

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 1 2 Flares ×

20121207-01-beachy-holidays1

Morning campers, how the devil are you, getting your Christmas groove on yet? All good here, I am going on a bit of a vintage treasure hunting adventure today…yes while I should be doing Christmas shopping, crafting handmade gifts, wafting around in a cloud of happy festive spirit and wrapping the presents I haven’t bought yet, I am off on a Beach Cottage jolly…I feel it in the water that I am going to find something coolio today, will report back with bells on if I do… Anyway we have a new arrival in Beach Cottage Land… Christmas tree, oh Beach Cottage Christmas tree..

20121207-02-coastal-christmas3

Oh I just love how  it makes everything smell all Christmassy!

20121207-03-IMG_4077

When we lived in England the Christmas tree buying trip was much more of an affair than it seems to be here…I guess it’s because there aren’t many around and because of the climate not as popular as an artificial one, hence if you see them, you grab them and they are not cheap…a couple of years ago we went to cut down our own tree at the Christmas tree farm, it was BOILING hot, the sun was scorching and it felt like the most bizarre thing to be out among a gazillion Christmas trees under the hot Aussie sun and I was terrified a snake would jump out and attack me… This one though is just from the local market, no worries about snakes here, though I must say that last year’s tree was carrying a few extras…of the eight-legged kind…as we brought it in a couple of hugeeeee spiders crawled out.  That was nice.

20121207-01-beachy-holidays1

No extras this year though and the tree is sitting happily for now in the corner of the deck…I am trying to get away with not decorating it this year, I love this simple look, though of course I will add white twinkly fairy lights…but who am I kidding there is no way the kiddos in this house will let me get away with a tree not decorated by them…and anyway I couldn’t not do one of our traditions – Christmas music blasting, Mr BC and Mr Teenage BC attempting light rehabilitation all over the floor and the scent of mulled wine in the air, which I now cannot drink but still pretend to…. I must say I did have a little thought that perhaps another tree could magically transport itself into our old sitting room.  Beam me up Scotty.  Actually think it would be worth doing that just to see how far the eyebrows would shoot up. Happy Days. You likeee my tree?  It was pot luck on which one…there are no niceties to tree buying in my neck of the woods, they were all dumped in a line, a bit squashed up and looking pretty sad but it seems I didn’t do too badly on this one, it’s nice and green and lush and a pretty good shape… Sarah   oh and p.s. I am very honoured to be part of this very talented group of ladies who just so happened, like me, to have a babba when they were pretty young…I have faced a whole lot of judgement on this over the years (and still do when I rock up to something with my Honeymoon Baby in tow who is 6ft1 and not such a babby anymore!)…including people assuming that I was very poor, not married, stupid and making assumptions about education…but it’s the best thing that ever happened to me and having my kiddos taught me what life is all about…I could write a whole post on this…perhaps one day I should :-)    20121207-02-coastal-christmas3

want to advertise on abeachcottage.com?

find rates and more info here

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 1 2 Flares ×

34 Responses to “Coastal Christmas Decorating – Christmas Tree”

1. Felicity says:

That is such a cool tree. One year I would love to have a “real ” tree. I just got back from some Op shopping and picked up a beautiful, dazzling crystal ice bucket for $ 3, very happy. I hear you about having your family young. I was married at 20 and had my daughter at 21 and next January I will celebrate our 20Th wedding anniversary and I couldn’t be happier and I haven’t turned 40 yet, even though it is just around the corner.

2. Bec says:

just dusted off our fakey… and sigh!!! …it’s due for the tip….On the bright side our house up the sunny coast will have a fresh branch sawn off the norfolk pine down the back of the land….and I plan to decorate it with home made silver gumnuts and whte velvet ribbon….
    Bec x

3. Candy says:

Lovely tree and oh so green! Had my only youngin’ (son) at 22, now 6’2″, and absolutely the BEST CHRISTMAS present EVER as that is the day he was born! What a day that was! Forgot all about the tree..lol

4. Isabella says:

Your tree is very pretty! I was a young mom too. I am a college-educated woman (a teacher), who had four children by the age of 25. My husband was 27 when we had our fourth, and he has an MBA. I wish I had that kind of energy now. I remember everything I used to get done when my kids were young!

5. You have a very full looking tree there, girl! Heck, we don’t even have a tree yet. I need to go pick up a tree stand first, so I have something to put it in. We have had an artificial tree for the last 6 years, and I’m taking my real tree back, whoo! hoo! As for wishing you could get away with leaving it with just the lights, and enjoying the natural look of it, I’m going with a lot more natural these days, and a lot more white. I have a true appreciation for the simple, uncomplicated look. I just wish we had the warmth you guys have. Then again, I hate the cold, and I live in New Brunswick, Canada, lol! At least we haven’t had snow yet here, so I should just count my blessings I guess. Just to think, on Christmas morning, you could go down to the beach for a dip, now that’s living!

yes the Christmas swim has become our tradition now Sue – a few years ago that was so far from our reality…we would walk down the pub in the cold lol!!

6. There is something to be said for being a young mum – I was born when my mother was 19; by time she was 40, her children were all grown up. I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum – I’m 51, and my son is just 12. It’s not that I was a late starter, per se, but it took me a long time after the death of my 4 year old daughter to decide that I was ready to have another baby. I guess that’s my way of saying that things happen for a reason (having children young, versus having them “late” in life…)

Back to the real subject at hand – I’ve only ever had a “real” Christmas tree once – it was when my daughter was one; it was a tiny Norfolk pine – live, in a pot. It was an adorable tree, but not at all practical for hanging ornaments from. I now have a fake tree, because I don’t like the idea of cutting down trees to just dispose of after a couple of weeks (and I swear, I’m *not* a greenie!) I think your tree would look really elegant just strung with twinkly white lights, and no ornaments!

I a very sorry to hear about your daughter Susan and yes it does all happen for a reason, I am pretty sure what mine was too – amazing how people have their stories, I was just talking to a friend over the weekend who I have known for a few years now and she told me something totally unknown about the birth of one of her kids…everyone has a story xo

7. Oh Sarah….
    you have just made me realise (after 25 years)~~!! that my first born son was also a “honeymoon” baby..
    I had never really thought about it before, nor done the maths…BUT it works out…
    married in late July 1986 (aged 29)….son born May 1987…
    MMM~~ must have been the honeymoon in the UK that “did it”!!~~
    anyway…Love the smell of a real xmas tree, but I haven’t got my Xmas MOJO happening yet…!!
    hoping after visiting this said son in Brisbane next week, upon my return I shall be full xmas steam ahead!!~
    xx andrea and sooty!!

8. Lisa says:

A 41 year old mom with a 6 yr old and 4 month old, who wants one more, faces judgement as well, but I feel no need to defend my choice and I don’t. They say kids can either keep you young or age you quickly. I haven’t quite figured out how that’s working for me, because I’m just too busy being happy!

And, yes, I do likee your tree. It’s a cutie, and it sure beats the artificial tree we are sporting this year. I’m almost certain our beautiful trees of the past few years caused allergy symptoms for my little guy, so I opted for the faux this year. I sure do miss that fresh tree scent.

Yes it’s a shame people feel the need to judge if a choice is not ‘norm’. I have never defended my choice either, the issue has always been theirs not mine!

good luck with those littlies xx

9. Carol says:

Married at 18, 2 children by 22, 3rd child at 33. Just had our 40th Anniversary. A few issues with ill health this year but he still makes my heart sing.

Wowee!!! What a perfectly proportioned tree you have.

A couple of years ago I went to our local plant nursery to buy a real Christmas tree. The male sales assistant looked like he was ready for me to umm and ahh as he held various trees in the vertical position for me to consider. After he held the first one up I said, ‘Yeh, that’ll do.” He did a double take and said, ‘You’ve chosen the FIRST one!’ I replied, ‘In the greater scheme of things, it doesn’t matter.’ He said, ‘Usually I have to stand there for ages, going through lots of trees for the customer!’ ‘Not me,’ I said.

11. KIM BUCA says:

ok ok it all looks good but how come you cant drink the wine?? are you adding a little “wee” present to the bc crew????? i didnt miss that!!! the deck looks lovely!!

no we do not have a little addition to the crew, well not that I know of anyway!!

I have a wine allergy so no wine for me for about the last 5 years…hence why I drink Peroni and Limoncello lol x

12. shirl' anderson says:

Beautiful tree and deck! I love the naked tree, but I bet a few fairy lights would look good, along with some ornaments.why no mulled wine when decorating? are you ill? Happy hunting!

13. Karen says:

The tree looks really lovely and just needs lots and lots and lots of sparkly lights!

14. HRH Sarah says:

You should write that blog post!!! Your tree is very pretty~ next year I hope to have a real tree, in our new home :)

15. suzanne says:

Sarah, you are right about that christmassy pine needle smell. When I was a young girl live christmas trees were mostly the only thing people had for christmas. You could get real trees nearly everywhere and the fake ones were not that poplar. After Christmas was over the footpaths were lined with the dead trees ready to go to the tip. Life here was a lot different to what it is today. Summer was hot, we lived at the beach as my mother and father loved swimming in the surf and you would come home with the smell of sun and salt water on your skin the Christmas tree in the lounge room smelling hot and pine needlie and then the summer evening storm would come. Summer and Christmas go hand in hand, wouldn’t have it any other way.

16. Ingrid says:

Utterly gorgeous and simply stunning.

17. Pearl Maple says:

Merry Christmas to you and the family
    Hope you get to enjoy days full of sunshine

18. Bett says:

Last Christmas my best friend gave me a really nice wooden Christmas ornament. It had my name and a picture of a reindeer engraved on it. It was super cool and I found out that a firm out in Colorado called Unique Custom Products made it. I am considering ordering from them this year…check them out if you like wooden item