Beach Cottage does Thanksgiving

Fri 23rd, Nov, 2012

8 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 3 Buffer 4 8 Flares ×

20121123-02-abeachcottage-blog

G’day and to those of you who celebrate, Happy Thanksgiving.

Here today we have a little dressed up table in honour of firstly this holiday and secondly my hand-grown, (is there any other way?) hydrangeas…who are smiling at me from the garden and very much pretty in pink.

I am totes aware that hydrangeas are probs not your first thought when Thanksgiving comes to mind…but here in the land of Down Under they are abundant right about now and as with many traditions, what is available, profuse and quite frankly, free,  work so well.

20121123-02-abeachcottage-blog

I haven’t always celebrated Thanksgiving, obviously I am not American (tho I have an incy wincy spider yearning to live in the States at some point in my life…note to self:  time is ticking…and a road trip to the heart of the U S of A is on our plan for when and if the Beach Cottage Crew ever leave us in peace, that takes in Italy with red geraniums on the windowsills, a terraced miners cottage in the valleys of Wales, an apartment in Poland and a trip across America in an Airstream).

20121123-03-beach-cottage-nautical-stripe_thumb

Sorry I digress…I have written before about this strange (to me then) and lovely celebration that I first became aware of when working in a PR company deep in the heart of the trendy west end of L-o-n-d-o-n baby.  (Incidentally I have heard that those ‘Pommie boys’ are really hot nowadays – information reliably supplied to me by way of one of the BC Crew.  Who knew?)

20121123-04-beach-cottage-deck-garden_thumb

Then I learned more of Thanksgiving when one of those celebratory chefs, who spends more on their fridge than most people do on a car, also mentioned his Thanksgiving delights in one of his books…

…and then finally as I became a serial-late-night-blog-surfing-world-wide-web-aholic I began to see through blogs Thanksgiving in real homes.  And that’s when I totally got it and so wanted in.   Oh.  Yeah.

20121123-05-beach-cottage-dressing-table

And while I don’t go in for it full hog, I don’t buy pumpkins or a turkey or put marshmallows in my oven (though I have seriously considered it), I do like to make a nod to a celebration that in my book can only be of benefit.  To give thanks.  Yep I so need to do that.

So a Thanksgiving table foofing for my thanks and for what I am grateful about in my life…which I could go on for about ever

but starts with

Australia

in the middle includes

3 lovely healthy kids, a tiny old cottage on the wrong side of town without cladding but with a roof, a husband who though often drives me around the bend puts up with a shed load of my broomstickness, hair-brained schemes & allows flowers, polka dots and ruffles on the bed, a body that is still working though getting on the droopy side

and ends with

Australia

20121123-06-beach-cottage-tablescape_thumb

And with that I will say adios.

What are you saying thank you for?

p.s.  if you would like the chance to win some of these Beach Cottage goodies on this table, then sign up here for the Beach Cottage Club – exclusive giveaway of some things to pretty up your table this week, included nautical stripe table runner, rustic beachy napkin rings, stripe place mats and more…only available to BC Clubbies…and of course there’ll be extras in there too… xo

p.p.s and we all know what happens when Thanksgiving is over …let’s get our Christmas sparkle on people!  hello twinkly fairy lights, how have you been?

that boy Barley-boo, he blogged this Friday morning over here, come & say G’day :-)
20121123-07-nautical-coastal-table-tablescape

8 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 3 Buffer 4 8 Flares ×

28 Responses to “Beach Cottage does Thanksgiving”

1. Selby says:

Lovely tablescaping!: ) those pink hydrangeas are just gorgeous.

2. Susanne says:

Just beautiful!
    I’m thankful for so many things, especially my health. I’ve learn’t this year not to sweat the small stuff! x

Beautiful hydrangeas. Such a sweet colour. I’m guessing those napkin rings don’t cost $198 each!!!!

I have a truly wonderful life, not perfect, but SOOOOOOOO much to be grateful for. I don’t lose sight of my blessings.

Cheers

gosh mine is sooooooo far from perfect, even though lots of people think mine is lol! …I so don’t blog the crapola, which is a good thing, this is my happy place

Happy Fridayx

• alison says:

BC is one of my happy places too. It helps to balance the crappola.

Now, something I’ve really become aware of this year is that successful people who seem to have it all are often the people who just chip away at things and are constantly doing and trying new things and who are not stopped by dead ends and failures. It’s amazing how this strategy of constant effort creates serendipity and coincidences that lead to successes. And I don’t mean huge multi million dollar successes. Successes that make your heart sing and add to the quality of your life. This chipping away strategy is hard work but worthwhile since I started really using it.

4. Karen says:

Hi Sarah,
    I do love your take on life in general. Love the tablescape too especially those rustic napkin holders!
    Can’t wait for all the fairy lights. I’m like a big kid, taking my grandson out to see them, but I think I love them even more than he does. Very special time of the year but you are so right. Nice to appreciate & acknowledge all the good in our life and a happy healthy family. Thank you for brightening mine.
    cheers,
    Karen NZ

5. LOVING the hydrangeas in that perfectly pretty pink!! Way to go Sarah!! And I must say today I am thankful it is Friday! xx

6. Emma says:

Good on you for being so thankful about Australia! So many of us take our country for granted. I love that you remind us that this truly is a great southern land!!! Yay for the privilege of living here… And summer weekends… with fairy lights (and mozzies!) ;-)

yay for summer nights and fairy lights!!!!

(got my first two bites of the season a couple of days ago…ankles are not looking pretty lol) x

7. Rukmini Roy says:

Decor and aesthetically speaking I’m thankful to a beach cottage and the lady who rocks it from down under. :) Thank you for inspiring us from half way around the world. I mean it.

8. Susan says:

I am thankful for a loving family, and a healthy son.

I am thankful that I got to pursue my dream, and moved to the US. It’s been 20 years, and I am still in love with my life here. I have friends who ask me if I would ever go back to Australia to live, and the answer has always been the same – “no”.

9. Felicity says:

Beautiful photography once again. I really love the idea of having a whole day to be thankful, we just don’t do it nearly enough. I am thankful for my family. I have always said what ever comes our way as long as we stick together, the four of us, we can get through anything.

10. Love your take on Thanksgiving! And those hydrangeas, beautiful! And pink at that, does it get any better…I think not! I also love your casual style. Not formal, just fabulous! Have a good one!

11. DeAna says:

What a LOVELY post!!!

Thank YOU.

12. laurie says:

Beautifully simple, natural and so pretty, Sarah! I am grateful for the beautiful year of weather we had here in MI (easy winter last year, beautifully sunny summer, and warm autumn), and knowing that I only have to endure 3.5 months of snow. lol!

xoxo laurie

13. I think it’s so utterly lovely that you’ve adopted our Thanksgiving to celebrate your own day of giving thanks. For many of us, it’s become our favorite holiday, free to simply be together and enjoy good food and good time together. Gentle and happy. Love your table; khaki, white, cream and pink – so lovely. I am grateful for the peace and ease on my life, for being able to cope with underemployment by cutting back, sticking to a budget and keeping things simple. I am grateful for the health and happiness of family, friends and my self. And I am grateful for an awesome yoga practice this morning that’s left me on a cloud of bliss.

14. Tabby says:

I’m thankful for so many things; my family, my home, my job, my friends, my church and of course thankful for blogs with pretty pink hydrangeas, khaki stripe and beautiful white. Thank you for sharing your life with us.

15. julie says:

hi sarah,
    i love your spoons – where are they from?

16. Lark says:

I am thankful for A Beach Cottage!!! Thanks for brightening so many of my days with your beautiful posts! I’m glad you have found a fondness for Thanksgiving. It is truly the best of the best holidays…for all the right reasons!

17. Michelle W says:

Beautiful table, and beautiful hydrangeas! I love how you love Australia, Sarah! I really enjoy coming here and hearing what you have to say and looking at your beautiful home. :-)

18. Nicole says:

I was wondering if you could tell me where you bought the table from!!! I was looking to buy something exactly like that. THANKS!!!!