Easy Baked Apples Dessert

Fri 5th, Oct, 2012

17 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 9 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 7 17 Flares ×

20121005-01-beach-cottage-recipe

Hello, a Beach Cottage Too Easy Recipe today, I love this, it’s super easy and super tasty plus it’s Real Girl tried and tested…that means it got made in a real kitchen with real things like budgets, time constraints and family schedules all in play…I have made it when in a rush for the Beach Cottage Crew, it doesn’t need fancy ingredients and I have also made it lots of times when guests are coming over and I need recipes that can be prepared in advance and are totally stress free

20121005-02-beach-cottage-baked-apples-recipe_thumb

I first had a version of this when on holiday in France…a camping holiday in West France at the sea with friends…as many a lovely English family does, we packed up our car, headed over the Channel and spent some time soaking up the sun, the French ambiance and the food…

One day Mr BC and I had sneaked off for a bite to eat, I have no idea where our kiddos were but I am pretty sure they weren’t with us…

20121005-03-beach-cottage-easy-recipe_thumb 20121005-04-IMG_8753

It was one of those cafes with a tiny menu of the day and a big carafe of wine slammed on the table by a huffy French teenage waitress.  Those be the kinda French cafes I miss..fancy schmancy French here Down Under with humongous prices just does not float this girl’s boat.

Anyway, the dessert was like this I am here to talk about today, though a bit more alcoholic.  When it came up I must say I did screw my nose up a bit…before that I was not a huge lover of baked fruit….this quickly changed that.

It was served in little oval dishes and dolloped with creme fraiche and, really was exquisite…mouthfuls of delicious sugary buttery treats…very Normandy tasting to my very in-experienced palette.

So a few years later I came across a recipe for something like it, it called for other fruit too and it reminded me of that dish I had tried on a Summer’s day in France…and this recipe is how it goes now, years later in a tatty old cottage on Sydney’s beaches, smile

Beach Cottage Recipe

Easy Baked Apples

2 x apples

t bsp butter

1 tbsp brown sugar

1/3 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg

1/4 cup walnuts chopped finely

1/4 cup hazelnuts chopped finely

extra thick double cream to serve

or if one is in skinny mode Greek Yoghurt or Creme Fraiche

1. core & chop the apples into small pieces

2. pop in a baking tray & mix through all other ingredients

3. bake for 30 mins at 190C

4. serve with a dollop of cream

(this recipe is for 2)

Beach Cottage Recipe Notes *any nuts will do really so don’t stress if you haven’t go those above, it’s all about store cupboard ingredients *shoving a bit more butter will be very nice but may not help the thighs or muffin top *ditto sugar *this is purrrfect for using up your wrinkly apples in the fruit bowl

I have changed this around a lot since that first recipe I had (it was more specific on the nuts and spices) and to be honest, you don’t have to stick to the recipe, if you can chop up some apples and throw around some butter and sugar you won’t go far wrong…

20121005-05-easy-baked-apples-recipe

There are two ways I have found that are impressive to serve this if you have people over and indeed you are trying to impress….firstly in little bowls, each person receiving their dinky little portion and brought to the table with a fanfare….the other way is to use a baking dish that is suitable for the table and to load the baby up, stack up some nice bowls and plonk all on a tray with a handful of spoons and present on the table for sharing…

Whichever way, it’s one of those recipes that you can make in the afternoon so you are not stressed and more importantly when your guests are actually in the house you don’t have any panicking to do…as you sit there actually enjoying the occasion you are sweet in the knowledge that this little tray of goodness has been shoved, without ceremony, into the oven and is baking away quite happily, while you sit back and relax.

20121005-06-easy-recipe-baked-apples-cinnamon_thumb 20121005-07-IMG_8754

And let me tell you too, you might well want to stir this through some extra thick Greek yoghurt in the morning and your day will start with a zing…I just make up some of this and then leave it in the fridge in airtight container…

20121005-08-baked-apple-recipe_thumb

The best thing about this though is that it is good on the pocket…but doesn’t seem like it, there is, indeed, the air of the exquisite about it, a leetle bit of zee French wafts around as you bring it to the table and all is good in the world.

20121005-09-beach-cottage-too-easy-recipe

And let’s be honest, we all know, we are all looking for some of that in our lives

See you next time, I have white painting for you soon

Sarah xo

p.s. if you like the look of this you’ll love this super easy French Apple Pie here (well it’s not French but I pretend it is)

20120418-07-beach-cottage-french-apple-pie

17 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 9 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 7 17 Flares ×

20 Responses to “Easy Baked Apples Dessert”

1. Jos says:

Yuuuuuuummmmmm. Making this tonight – you have inspired me yet again in the cooking dept Sarah. Have arrived down to the country house after being away for three weeks and opened the fridge to eye up a whole shelf of wrinkly apples – was considering crumble but knew I couldn’t be faffed with the crumble caper! This’ll be perfect – and delish! Probably have it with your forty garlic chicken – we eat Beach Cottage style down country regularly!!!!!

oh yes this will be just right for your apples Jos! …it’s so easy and tastes outta this world, I just had it through Greek Yoghurt this morning and lovely so make a load of it, you won’t be disappointed x

2. Claire says:

Yummo! This is definitely on my list for next week – so easy and delicious – thanks for sharing Sarah x

3. merilyn says:

what a tonic you are sarah! …inspirational!
    always delighted everyday by your quirky sense of humour, creative spirit and your “joi de vivre”
    you make me smile which makes seratonin and gives me energy … that’s definately a good thing!
    appreciation and accolades to you!
    lol m x
    have a very happy day!

4. Angela says:

Looks good! Makes me want to bake, but even more, makes me want to go find a little towel like that. :) I do have a thing for little towels.
    -Ang

it’s a little vintage tea cloth…I fell in love with the embroidery and picked it up for pennies !

5. Oh now you’re just teasing us with that gorgeous embroided linen and pretty bowls!! I’m not usually a fan of baked fruit either but I will trust you and all your baking wisdom and give this a try. I know my kids will love it too..thanks…xx

Cute bowls. Embroidered cloth. Nice.
    I really must start embroidering my tablecloth that I bought in a kit over a year ago.

7. Sandy says:

Oh good I love your recipe posts! I have tried some already and all of them have turned out great, the best thing about them is that you have taken out all the hard work and found things that suit getting a tasty thing on the table and they don’t use weird ingrdients. I have 4 children and a busy life, the last time I had people over I tried your curry and it was awesome. We have an evening coming up soon where the meat will be cooked outside and I am going to try your potatoes.

This looks so easy too.

Thanks Sarah, keep up the recipes.

Sandy

8. rachel says:

i will ask AGAIN on behalf of the others who asked with me last time… WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE FREAKING CUTE POLKA DOT SPOONS????

do tell ..

9. Jojo3b says:

Thiis recipe looks like even I could make it it. I usually microwave cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar to release the smell, Darls and the boys are upset when they realize there is nothing to show for it. This recipe has the ingredients and I’ll have something to show for it. HA! Thanks Sarah ;)

10. Kirsty says:

What a fab idea for dessert! Looks like it would fit the bill for a big crowd of guests too. Had to concentrate hard while reading though, was getting distracted/mesmerised by the gorgeous embroidery. Loved it, fab post. X

11. Rukmini Roy says:

apple and cinnamon can actually get me into a murder contract. Although I live in Mumbai now, I grew up in the Northern hills where autumn was very pronounced. Baked Apple in any form reminds me of my days back home.
    Tomorrow is Saturday. Holiday. a perfect thing to make and bathe in some nostalgic glory. I’ll make this and blog about it considering I’ve not done a food post in a while. I will link my post to yours if its fine by you.
    And oh, let me know when can i steal those bowls… I couldn’t take my eyes off them. :D

12. laurie says:

Oh wow…..thanks for sharing this today, Sarah! It looks and sounds absolutely delicious!! Just bought some Honeycrisp apples yesterday and will use them to create a yummy, healthy dessert for tonight! :)

xoxo laurie

13. Tamara says:

LOVE the sound of this recipe Sarah and perfect for autumn over here in the UK. My grandmother used to do whole baked apples stuffed with dates, baked slowly in her Aga but this seems like a lovely quick version YUM! X

14. Elaine in Laguna says:

Sounds so yummy…This will work quite nicely for company here next week, and the arrival, finally, of our cooler fall weather! Thanks, Sarah! And I love the vintage towel!!

15. Delicious! I love the photography too!