Beach Cottage pillowscape, pillowscaping

Wed 17th, Oct, 2012

5 Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 2 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 1 5 Flares ×

20121017-01-beach-cottage-how-to-cushions

G’day Beach Cottage ladies, I would like to introduce you to a new phase in Beach Cottage Land

I will say one word.

OK, two.

Pillowscape.

Pillowscaping.

20121017-02-beach-cottage-cushion-coastal-beachy-decor

Now I know I said recently that I might stop having my hair done and instead buy cushions but I must admit, errrm, (Mr Beach Cottage I hope you are not reading), hair done or not, where cushions and pillows are concerned I just can’t help myself.

I confess.

I am a cushion-pillow-aholic

20121017-03-beach-cottage-blog-pillowscape_thumb

And so recently when it came to my attention that there was a sport out there with the name of Pillowscaping, firstly I thought I am so in, put me up for a gold medal and secondly I thought Beach Cottage girlies will lurve it too!

20121017-04-beach-cottage-cushion-coastal-beachy-decor

Here, ladies of Beach Cottage Land, near and far, I would like to introduce you to the

Beach Cottage Pillowscape

and my tips on pillowscaping / using cushions for your decor whether it be coastal / beachy or not

20121017-05-beach-cottage-pillows-info-cushions

When Pillowscaping I have found it good to train for this sport as so -

1. Stick to one main colour palette.

A neutral base means you can change things up quite a bit but sticking to a few colours that go together works well…for my beach cottage look I like to combine blues, putty beige and the odd bright like aqua, sometimes pink.

2. Use different textures.

Different textures and fabrics add interest and depth.  I like to use mostly linens and cottons but sometimes throw in the odd crochet too.

3. Different Sizes.

Pillows of different shapes and sizes will also add interest to your decor.  On the whole I prefer smaller cushions gathered together rather than over-sized cushions.  Different shapes and sizes grouped together works nicely for a laid-back look.

4. Layer ‘em up

I like to plump and layer a variety of patterns, textures and colours and add an odd numbers of pillows for an eclectic, casual beach cottage style.

5. Mis-match

Beach Cottage style is not matchy matchy – throw in different patterns…always a stripe, some floral and something with a nautical hint works for me.  Make sure though there’s at least one colour in common to give it some unity.

6. Pillowscape

This is easily done with a combo of the above steps…try a pair of squares, one oblong in the middle and another interesting one in between perhaps a different pattern or texture…change your pillowscape around until you find a look that suits…group at one end only, line up through the back, add different sizes and shapes until your pillowscape is good to go

I will tell you something, I am already well qualified in this sport, on the way to the Pillowscaping Olympics baby…

I hope you might like too to compete with me in this new sport…it’s quite, easy, doesn’t require any training, is good for your budget, doesn’t make you sweat but does in induce a smile

Yours in all things cushions, beachy decor and white

Pillowscaping, Pillowscape : The arranging of pillows for maximum comfort or aesthetic appeal.

20121017-02-beach-cottage-cushion-coastal-beachy-decor

5 Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 2 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 1 5 Flares ×

27 Responses to “Beach Cottage pillowscape, pillowscaping”

1. Suzanne says:

Love the new term and
    will have to throw it out to
    my hubby the next time he
    complains that I have too
    many pillows on the sofa ~
    “Hey, it’s not a random mess
    of pillows…..It’s PILLOWSCAPING!”

Great tips : )

xo Suzanne

2. agh Pillows and cushions are not really my thing. I have a few cowhide ones that I just adore, but I am not into arranging them or anything really at the moment! which means that they always look like crap spread all over the place!

3. Victoria says:

Simply lovely Sarah..Have fun.

4. Kim says:

Love the cushions Sarah! Can you share we’re they are from? Beautiful!!

5. Selby says:

Mmn that couch looks so inviting. My fav is the patterned blue cushion just delicious!:)

6. Mariaelena says:

I love it all…great use of the pillows…from one beach girl to another!!…It all looks great!
    Mariaelena

7. Good luck with your gold medal attempt at pillowscaping! I love the suggestions – I’m also a big fan.

I love the throw (quilt?) you have on the back of your couch – very pretty!

Thanks to your blogging course at the end of last year, I finally made the jump and moved to a WordPress self-hosted blog – I hope you will pop over and visit me at my new digs :)

I like your cushions.

Sadly, my pillowscaping consists of arranging them flat on the lounge and lounge chairs so the cat won’t sleep on them and furscape them.

I depillowed the top of our bed last year to the cheers and relief of Mr alison. Men don’t get pillows and cushions.
    LOL

9. Cindy says:

I too love pillows – probably more than any other part of home decor. To me, they add so much personality to a room and I change mine with every season. It’s a sin to have as many as I do, but I can’t seem to help myself. So glad to see I’m not the only pillow lover/addict out there.
    Cindy

10. I need to go to Pillowscaping Uni … so many new pillows at our house … and my hair still getting done ;)

11. Kat says:

Oh so pretty and oh so timely as I am gradually updating my cushions on our couch.
    Beachy? tick, 3 colours? red, neutral and blue.
    Now my problem is I think I am trying to be too matchy matchy with pairs of cushions that are the same.
    Hm, I need to re read your tips and maybe throw in a different shape or odd cushion.
    Hubby will roll his eyes and declare “not more cushions” but I agree my new phrase shall be pillowscaping :)
    Love it Sarah!! ;Ps where did you get your gorgeous cushions please?

12. Oooohhhh, I LOVE a good old session of pillowscaping. So much fun and so satisfying!! Just a quick pillowscape qstn tho Sarah….what does one do with the pillows one has put on the pillowscaping interchange bench?? Having purchased ‘just a few’ new pillows/cushions recently I’m at abit of a loss as what to do with the ‘old’ ones. At the moment my pillow scaping is spreading all over the floor and house…..xx

13. I must have that quilt on the back of the lounge. You can give it to me for my birthday or christmas if you like????? I’ll buy you coffee and even cake. xx

14. Jojo3b says:

Looking forward to more pillowscaping idea,tips and pics. I need training in pillowscaping,…. Particularly in the types, and textures…. It gets me all in sweat with stress. Jojo3b :)

15. laurie says:

Is there such a thing as “rugscaping”, too, Sarah?? Maybe I’ll have to create a post about that obsession. lolol! Love your pillows! The pops of color and texture are just perfection in your sweet beach cottage! :)

xoxo laurie

16. Candice says:

Love the term .. Pillowscaping. Looks so inviteing just to sit and snuggle on your lovely setting ahhhhh sweet comfort . The 6 rules are great . Makes it easy to work with when your in a shop surrounded by so many choices of cushions .
    Any training manual for males and cushion/pillow stress .. ?
    My lot just don’t know how to handle cushions . They flop on couch and move any pillowscaping to the floor after several moves on couch area . So funny to watch … Cheers

17. Annie M says:

A timely post! I am madly into making new cushions for both my lounge room and family room at the moment and you have provided much inspiration not just from this post but all your fabulous pictures showing comfy couches and cushions…thanks Sarah. Annie M

18. Anonymous says:

Pretty nice pillow designs, perfect for bed and sofa to feel beach ambiance. Thanks for sharing tips on how to do it.

19. Wow! One sport I could be good at, and I could share it with the cats!!! They love pillowscaping and pillowdescaping (that’s also a word, right? I’m a teacher, I know!). I’m pretty sure my doctor who said very sternly that I wasn’t allowed to lift anything heavy will love to hear about my new hobby!

20. Min@MinsMash says:

Love your pillowscaping and the colour pallette you’ve used … and what excellent timing. This is very helpful for my Day Bed Project! I am going to go back now and absorb your tips 1-6 and commit them to memory! I currently have four large cushions in one size. I planned to buy some rolled cushions for each end….but I will also get some other cushions in varying shapes and sizes now :-) x

21. Bev says:

Pillowscaping just might be the only sport that I am pretty good at. I found I can make them and switch them when I need a change ………I just wish I had some more down inserts. Next on my list !!!!

22. LOL, pillowscaping, I love it!
    I’ve coined my own word: beach-brain-coming. It means to spend time on the beach getting in touch with your values & goals

23. Anonymous says:

Pillowscaping is like a habit. Its like organizing other things. If we do this like a habit this will be easy for us and its like were having fun.