Yah, make these

Thu 27th, Sep, 2012

8 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 2 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 6 8 Flares ×

20120927-01-beach-cottage-bowl

Gday lovely Beach Cottage ladies, friends and one man in The Netherlands, how the devil are you then?

Oh sigh, all so very good here, Sydney, God bless her little cotton socks is putting on a show-stopper of a Spring for us all…with whiffs and promises of a hot summer on the horizon…ahem yes one’s concerns about one’s white and somewhat wobbly bits are seeming to escalate wildly from oh my goodness me, to, oh I will be ok with a little sprinkling of the old tan in a bottle that does wonders for your forty if the new thirty body and, unlike, the old days does not leave you on the brighter side of tango.

But, ladies, we are not here to talk about tans, or wobbly bits, or indeed Summer, though this may well leave your white bits a bit more on the wobbly side and it certainly has been served on the deck of this ramshackle old cottage in the Summertime.

20120927-02-beach-cottage-recipe_thumb

To be honest this is nothing more than an easy potato recipe – but as ever with the recipes that I find I cook over and over again, it tastes great and works really well whatever the occasion you pull it out of the hat for…

That occasion may be when you have walked in the door, don’t have a clue what is for dinner and have less effort left in your little toe than you thought you ever would have, or it may be that you are having people over and want something that you can throw in the oven and forget about..this works handsomely for both of these.

There are no secrets here either, and I am sure you have probably come across similar recipes on the internet, or perhaps, in one of those fancy cookbooks, sold to us by so-called real-life gals, who just so happen to be as well as a cookbook author, ahem, quite well-off and, really, quite errrm, not  as real life as you girls, that I am assuming are reading here, are….those of us here I am assuming are juggling the real stuff….living with mortgages,, with 6 o’ clock looming, toilets to be cleaned and not a hired nanny in sight….yes, I mean those books that make you feel that you could not possibly produce one of the dishes without a long afternoon in the kitchen, a trip to a fancy supermarket with imported foods or lots of pouring over notes wearing an apron pretending you are deep in the heart of Provence.

This is none of those and I shudder, instinctively at the thought.

20120927-03-beach-cottage-blog_thumb5
Though talking of being deep in the heart of the Continent, I first had a version of this in Spain, Madrid to be exact – I was away with Mr Beach Cottage and to say we were trying to consume as much tapas as we possibly could before we got back to England would be an understatement… we spent the days, the nights, the afternoons, the evenings, the mornings popping into bars, sitting on stools tasting little tiny plates of tasty things (and as yet I haven’t eaten tapas in Australia that are even close, and yes have very much been to the Spanish ‘quarter’).

Incidentally, when not consuming copious amounts of tapas we were wandering aimlessly around Madrid at all hours of the morning eating churros and hot chocolate…for another day and another blog post.

So, at one of these tapas bars we had similar potatoes to those here…this little bar was tiny and not particularly welcoming…it was dark and dingy, manned by a guy straight from central casting, with a long slim bar all the way down the right-hand side, lined up all the way down the bar a row of stools and about half way down old-fashioned glass fronted cabinets rammed full of things for tapas…added to all of this was, of course, the combo of Spanish paraphernalia in the ilk of bulls and matadors ,coupled, so very easily, with all the trappings of Real Madrid soccer…

And, as any self-respecting English couple would do when trying to immerse themselves in the Continent, we plonked ourselves down with our fair but reddened skin and our English t-shirts and, of course, requested, in Mr BC’s pigeon Spanish (which incidentally when I met him, he had told me was fluent after a stint of working in Spain, pah) a lovely long, cool, San Miguel.

Mr Beach Cottage ordered our tapas and along with the chorizo, the regular patatas bravas and the meatballs, came some fiery little potatoes, smaller than the ones you see here and hot, baby, hot…

20120927-04-easy-potato-recipe

And I know that you are, probably, girls reading this, at least 1000 miles from any kind of little bar in Madrid, on this particular morning as you sit with a coffee and read my rambling, but I do implore you to have a go of these…they won’t let you down, these are not as hot as the ones I had that day and much more reliable than I am lol

The way I do these mostly is to serve as little nibbles when people come over…there is something about bringing out lots of little hot bowls of hot potatoes…but I also do a huge platter of these to serve with simple meats, and truth be known, when I am so lazy, moody, and the broomstick is threatening but it is indeed a Saturday or Friday night and I think that these kiddos can survive a lack of nutrition, well then a shed load of these, thrown in the oven and served in a huge bowl together with a movie, goes down very well

Beach Cottage Recipe

Easy Rosemary & Chilli Potatoes

(serves 4 as nibbles but double it baby)

500g potatoes

half teaspoon turmeric

1 red chilli, de-seed & chopped

2 sticks of rosemary finely chopped

olive oil

1. cut the potatoes into small bite sized chunks (do not even think about peeling those babies)

2. add a good couple of lugs of olive oil to a baking pan /tray (you may need two pans/trays if the pots look too packed in)

3. add the potatoes and all other ingredients to the pan and zoosh to coat

4. season with lots of salt & pepper

5. place pan in oven at 190C for about 40 to 45 mins until golden – turnover half way through

Serve either in little bowls doused with more salt, pepper and perhaps some Rosemary and chilli as a starter or in a big dish with your fave meat

Beach Cottage Recipe Notes ** did anyone say dried chilli?  of course substitute if you haven’t got fresh.  *these can be ready in half an hour if you are pushed for time, they won’t be as brown as here…equally you can leave them longer if you like them erring on the side of burnt   *insure you finely chop the Rosemary otherwise one of your guests may well comment on their spikiness, not a problem for me but you never know  * I like everything, well not quite everything, wink, in my life, numbingly hot, but you might not so go easy on the chilli until you get it right

20120927-05-easy-potato-ideas

I hope you like it lovelies, I must say I am a bit of a potato person…and I LOVE, as any good girl of English blood would, a perfectly cooked roastie, and I can tell you I have tried and tried and tested and tested ways of cooking those until it is down pat…more on those soon…

But these?  Well these are the proverbial Beach Cottage brainer….

Turn it on, chuck ‘em in and go back to reading blogs while all the while those around you, well, they think you rock Winking smile

Be seeing ya then

Sarah x

20120927-06-abeachcottage-blog3

8 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 2 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 6 8 Flares ×

26 Responses to “Yah, make these”

1. Oh yes, patatas bravas….in Spain, a sure fire certainty that they will be wonderful….I’ve been to some rnglish tapas bars where …how shall I put it , they were not authentic patatas bravas.And that’s being kind.

I shall definitely give these a try….will serve them for lunch I think.With some beautiful serrano ham, some manchego cheese and some artisan bread ….and perhaps some salad.I’m salivating already …and what about a glass of wine too?

2. Motherofluvlies says:

Scallops and chorizo with a nice Rioja..mmmmm

3. HRH Sarah says:

Yummy… I used to serve something similar to these in my restaurant. At the time, everything had a “cute” name, so we called them “pub potatoes”. They were simply seasoned, roasted potatoes, with lots of butter to make them crisp in the oven. We would served them topped with sour cream and scallions, or with cheese and chili. They were delicious! I’ve got a few redskin potatoes hanging out in my kitchen right now, I believe they are calling my name for dinner…

4. Susan @ Afford Your Passions says:

I didn’t pay too much attention to the potatoes – I was too busy drooling over your vintage embroidered table linens (and the Anthropologie bowl – I love them!)

5. Vicky says:

Have just copied that recipe down! It’s something my partner and I would definitely love.

6. Am making these! Yes, I am.

7. Now I’m hungry…..adding these to my list of things for the weekend!
    Greetings from France.
    Simone

8. Jojo3b says:

I’m with Susan….I was too busy drooling over the linen and cute cute bowls.

9. I’m still back at the start where you mentioned white wobbly bits and tan in a bottle…may I ask which tan you like to slap on Sarah? I’m always on the look out for new ones to try! Oh yes and the spuds look yum, definately cooking up a batch…xx ps most importantly – linens and bowl just gorgeous!

I use Garnier Bronz – it’s cheap but good…and I can tell you I have done a lot of research into this xo

10. Michelle W says:

Yum! I love potatoes all ways. Your photos make me realise that I need to invest in pretty bowls to put them in!

11. Marnie says:

Yum, these look delish Sarah! I have potatoes ready for harvest and I’m going to dig up a few right now!
    x Marnie

12. Annie M says:

These sound great and I will definitely give them a go…bit of a spud girl myself being from the old country..Mother England! How are these different to patatas bravas and do you have a recipe for those? I have seen them mentioned before on your blog and looked for a recipe but to no avail. Waiting in anticipation..Annie M x

Your spuds look delicious.

Mr alison and I had tapas for the first time on NZ’s south island 3 years ago. I don’t know how authentic it was but I liked what I had. It took Mr alison a while to get his head around a different style of food presentation.

Sarah, are you into hand embroidering? I haven’t done any for ages but I have a tablecloth in a packet that has been awaiting me for about a year now. I find hand embroidery very relaxing and fun.

PS I had a Devonshire tea with one of my daughters and Grandson A at the Bowral CWA Hall at the Tulip Festival yesterday. The Hall is like stepping into a time capsule. An old photo of the Queen, the words of the CWA song, the CWA motto, the name boards of the CWA presidents, secretaries on the wall. Magic!!

14. Karen Sack says:

Sarah this dish looks fab. might give it a go today or tomorrow……….My husband will be impressed if they turn out looking half as good as yours do

15. Cheryl says:

Oooh, I luvvvv the smell of potatoes and rosemary roasting in olive oil, but the chili added…never heard of that, is quite intriguing. But I’ll skip all that for some of that hot chocolate and churros….puhleeze blog about that. Does anybody know how to make it just like they do in Madrid?

16. mellie lang says:

I make similar but without the chilli, don’t know why, haven’t thought of it I suppose or been to madrid and had Tapas, been to Mallorca and Tapas, yummy especially with cold beer.
    Thanks for the idea and inspiration for food this weekend… happy days xx

17. Diana says:

I have a simple version of roasted potatoes like these that my entire family just loves. Simple and comforting is always the best. Looks delish!

Yummy! I didn’ even think of tumeric with potatoes! Fantastic must try!

19. Candice says:

Hi Sarah hope your feeling better . Love this post , Great snack for after beach for starving teens here on school hols , I used to do the soy sauce version , they taste great but look awful on the plate and the teen girls wouldn’t give them a try . Just lay the weges on a tin pan , spray with oil drizzle soy and bake . Really salty taste . I thought they were yum and low fat etc … Cheers . Love the travel stories .

20. Zella says:

Love spuds in any guise but must say these sound particularly good. And really love the look of these forks (were they a lucky vintage fine?) – just right for the job.

21. Regina says:

Sarah, thank you fot this recipe! Next week I am moving to Spain (from theCaribbean) and one of the things I look forward to is eating tapas…

22. Mia says:

Hi Sarah!
    I have been visiting your blog for quite sometime and I must say I love, simply adore the way you present thing and write about your life in Australia. I’ve been inspired to start a blog of my own now and I’m actually quite thrilled and fidgety too about it. Hopefully, you’ll drop by sometime :)
    The Chilli Potatoes look so flavorful and yum!!! I might just try it this very evening! Yah! I’ll make them, indeed! :D

23. Mandy says:

Just made these for a dinner party last night….lovely. and no effort – just the way i like it :)

24. Elena Sinsay says:

Your recipes sound delightfully delicious, but I can’t use them. As a favor to those fans who live in the US and haven’t mastered the metric system, could recipes please include our old-fashioned equivalents?

Thanks so much!