Beach Cottage Chairs, Vintage Coastal Makeover

Tue 11th, Sep, 2012

9 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 3 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 5 9 Flares ×

20120911-01-beach-cottage-makeover-furniture-

Well G’day Beach Cottage lovelies, errm let us have a bit of a vintage white beachy decor makeover shall we?   You know it, you love it, you really really want it.

Now when one is surrounded by new vintage finds waiting to go all coastal with a touch of white paint and when one’s husband is getting a leetle teensy bit fed up with tripping over shabby old and large pieces all over the house, well what does one do?

Of course, one leaves all of those things totally to their own devices and pulls out another one…nice.

Beach Cottage Marital Guidance : always keep ‘em guessing

Works for me Winking smile

20120911-02-abeachcottage-blog

Actually here, I must say, it was indeed my lovely husband (who prefers not to go under the pseudonym of Mr BC by the way) who found the chair here in question…he was out one day going to a business meeting in North Sydney and on the way off of the beaches went through a suburb with council clean-up, spied this on the side of the road and thought I might like it..we have another one that is almost identical too..

20120911-03-beach-cottage-vintage-chair-decorating

This one was looking very much in need of love and one of the bars of the seat was missing….of course being the handyman, cough cough, that Mr Beach Cottage is, he relished the idea not only of this getting some of my beach cottage white paint, but, more, he likes to think of himself as a bit of a Mr Fix It and thought he could do some of that thing that men do when they are supposed to be doing jobs that are important but instead ‘fix’ things that are totally irrelevant to the running of a cottage for five..

…personally I am thinking more for my darling husband along the Frank Spencer lines, but, boys will be boys, and as long as that means I, every now and then, get a vintage treasure thrown in the back of the car when various members of my family are out and about on this lovely Peninsula that we live in, then, well so be it.

20120911-04-a-beach-cottage-blog1

Now, most girls who call themselves home, DIY, coastal makeover or furniture upcycling by the beach Winking smile blogs do a before shot, but not me, I got my teeth well stuck into this and forgot…just call me a professional blogger Smile

Though actually talking of blogging, according to the Beach Cottage Reader Survey (open only for a bit longer now, go here if you missed it…I would love to hear what you Beach Cottage Girls have to say) a whole lot of you come here for my, and wait for it….humour!   If I may say so I find this quite astonishing…clearly you have not seen me come 6.30pm riding around on a whitewashed broomstick waving a vintage oar, those guys who live with me here, do not find this in the slightest amusing…

When I read this again and again on the survey I didn’t, really know what on earth to make of it, I mean girls I try to impress you with my homemaking skills, my life on this earth as a girl with recipes, my brandishing of white paint and my dabbling in the art of photography, but in actual fact you come here to giggle…or indeed snigger at or with me!

Well, no probs, I can take that…just call me Billy.

20120911-05-beach-cottage-blog-white-beachy-vintage

Sooooooo, this got fixed up by Mr Beach Cottage, he fussed around with it finding a suitable piece of wood for the seat and I was left with the painting…I did my usual treatment on it (spruced it up, gave it a clean and Dettol) and then I painted it with a white outdoor paint…after that I attacked it with sandpaper to give it a bit more of a shabby feel..

It all looked a bit to I dunno, done and fresh though so I left it out in the rain hoping for some rust to appear, which it has now grown if you look on the legs (but now don’t you go enlarging this pic and looking for drips and droops now will you?) and now it’s more outdoorsy where it has been sitting on the grass with a bit of mud on it’s legs…

I brought it up here to take a photo and show you, I am pretty pleased with it…

Not bad this new design trend is it?

They are calling it, you know those people who go by the name of stylists and magazine editors

Side of the Road Couture

Winking smile

Over and out from me

p.s. love catching up with our sweet BC puppy?  well he blogged today over here, come and see ! x

oh and a little shout out!  remember my friend Tricia Rose who makes the lovely linen things, I blogged about her recently, well she is a finalist in Martha Stewart’s America Made and would love it if Beach Cottage coastal girls would hop over and vote for her…just click here thanks sweeties xo

20120911-06-aaaa_thumb

9 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 3 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 5 9 Flares ×

40 Responses to “Beach Cottage Chairs, Vintage Coastal Makeover”

1. Angela says:

I love this little chair, with its’ curves.
    ;)
    Ang

• Angela says:

Apparently I don’t know how to use a keyboard, because I threw a thing in on the first comment with < 's on either side of the word giggle, and the word giggle didn't show up. Broottthher…
      Anyway, you are funny. I do get a giggle. Have a great day!
      Ang

2. Jacqui says:

Absolutely love this post, gorgeous chair. I want it!!!!!!

3. Tanya says:

Ahhh yes…the giggle. For sure, and don’t forget the broomstick! It’s all good – all of it.

4. Well this may sound silly…But I love those boots. They remind me so much of mucking around my farmhouse in spring.

5. Laura Scott says:

We giggle with. Always with, never at. You have a gift not known by others in the “side of the road couture” world. But I do love your chair-find and I see yesterday’s cupboard looking very Anthroplogieish once well stocked with interesting, purposeful stuff.

6. rachel says:

love, love, love the chair! ;)

7. bec says:

This is one very cute seat Sarah, I’m a bit of a garden seat addict at the moment and have recently bought 3 off ebay, all run down and rusty just how I like them. This is surely a great find…I would be beside myself if I found this. Thanks for sharing.
    Bec x

8. LOoove the chair, what a lucky find. Beautiful scrolly arms. It would be very old being steel, so many are now aluminium or some cast that doen’t rust. We have just inherited bucketloads of outdoor furniture (as well as a houseful of everything)- just as soon as we take the trailer around to the inlaws, and am thinking about the primer and paint to use on the metal, both on this stuff and the iron furniture I already own. I don’t think it will be an onerous task, but there is a lot- lucky I have a pretty huge garden!
    I too am told I am one of the funniest people around- my family thinks much the same as yours, cos I too am a bit of a tyrant when there is much to be done on the homefront.

9. Kim H says:

Love it! And love the dirt on the feet:) Yep, I totally agree, you are very funny! I don’t even know if I mentioned that in the survey??? I should’ve if I didn’t. x

10. I don’t believe the broomstick exists ;) Love the chair though.

11. laurie says:

There’s nothing better than Side of the Road Couture, Sarah! Free AND pretty!! I think your dear Frank certainly needs a pat on the back for this one….and a nice cold Pimms. lol!

xoxo laurie

12. Clare says:

Sarah, she is beautiful! Great husband too. Also you cannot beat the dry self depreciating humour of a pommie girl. particularly appreciate it as I am a bayside living expat pom myself who has a tolerant if not bemused husband.

13. bridgette says:

Ermmm do i see a wee bit of colour in the BC home?? What the ??? loving the chair for frank to trip.. i mean sit in :) he scored well … i am doing a little make over myself for my daughters room, she has had her bed painted white and now her desk with hutch is getting a make over. Most of it is white except the back wall of the hutch will be aqua, for a touch of colour . Have a lovely day

14. Cherrie says:

Wish I had me a husband with Mr Beach Cottages roadside skills! Cherrie

15. Selby says:

Looks great! Nice n roomy and very inviting with the lovely cushion & flowers- can hear a afternoon of reading in the lovely warm breeze calling:)

Sooo true. Keep them guessing. Keep them slightly confused. Works for me too.

17. mellie lang says:

I totally agree with Laura, laughing with you not at you!
    Ace chair & husband. I can’t believe they have a name for it now, but it is great that its now a trend, its better to be recycling other peoples junk than landfilling for sure. I’m slightly gutted, Perth did roadside collections but not Buderim, on the Sunshine coast which is where we are now :-( so we’re Op shopping instead, I have a list of things to find, happy days :-)

yes when I feel guilty about painting lovely wood to fit in with my whitewashed stuff I just remind myself it beats landfill x

18. Fiona says:

I thought I was going to have to train my husband in the curbside-shopping tactics during a recent trip through the suburbs the day before the council pick-up as he drove briskly through without a glance at the goodies piled by the sides of the road. I made a teeny tiny comment about it, and lo and behold, the next day there’s a small side table on our balcony – gorgeous, and perfect for our tiny herb garden!

…maybe he does listen!

19. Liz says:

Love the chair and love love love the tulips! Pops of color make the place look all springtime and fresh :-) and I drop in for the giggles, definitely with and never at! Plus I like knowing I’m not the only one with a broomstick!

When giggling on my behald I never giggle at you Sarah it is always with you. Now that is a find and a half Sarah! Love the make over and beach treatment top marks from me…

21. Jenn says:

Beautiful! I love the little pennant hanging up to. I always love looking at all of your beautiful photos – always so calming! Hope you are having a good week!

22. Jenny says:

Ok, ok,……the chair is GREAT! – but I think you’re holding out on us!!!!! It’s really cruel of you to keep dropping a wee word into the conversation every now and then, but not coughing up with the goods! And that word is ……..ARMOIRE!!!! So when do we get to meet this new baby????

haha, it’s the armoire word and it’s sitting in my bedroom getting stroked every time I walk past…she is one big girl! pics to come soon I promise! x

23. Neen says:

NEVER laugh at you Mrs BC it’s ALWAYS with you……moonlight bath….hose filling it !!!!! Gotta say I can’t wait to see bedroom furniture when you have finished stroking it ;)

haha I forgot about that Neen, until the other day someone kindly reminded me of that whole episode …and I blogged it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what the heck, total lunatic…must say that was one special moonlight bath hahaha

24. Aisling says:

Always laugh with you. One of the things I love about your blog is your energy! Every time I see a post I think where does she find the time…. And THEN when it is about a cute little metal chair that seems to have been magically restored since the last post I am agog to see what happens next… I am an nz’er who spent 15 yrs in the uk and has an English dh. One of the things I miss most is English humournow i am back in nz. One thing i like is the way you play on words and tell a story. It makes me a bit homesick for blighty…

My dear dh is very challenged on the DIY front although he rather fancies he is good at it but the tools let him down (then he decides more tools are the answer). If my dh had repaired that chair the slats would not all have been the same length or width….! He just painted a new external door and the paint has flaked off within a week – when I complained mildly he – seriously – blamed the cat! Don’t let your dh get away he is a jewel!

haha I love the cat story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes he is a jewel, a real diamond, and don’t I know it…but I don’t let him know that…treat ‘em mean and all that

yes I know what you mean about the Old Blighty humour…when we first moved here I had A LOT of blank looks and very often on what I considered to be normal banter…I have curbed that now and acclimatised it a bit but I still totally miss the old English sense of humour, self-depreciation and a bit of sarcastic wit…hey ho I traded that for awesome climate and lifestyle…I can handle that xo

25. michelle says:

side of the road couture…you do make me laugh. It’ll be grey is the new shade of black next haha!
    love your unit you found – cant wait to see what you do with it and yes in the dining room would be fab :-)
    M x

26. Jess says:

Gorgeous chair. It looks terrific. You are one very clever lady with or without your broomstick ;). Jx

27. Rochelle says:

Well I’m a lovin this bit of side of the road couture. You go girl!

28. Nadine says:

Sarah, your cheeky humour is lovely! I definitely enjoy your style and your recipes, but your personality is what keeps me coming back over the long term. :)

29. Cathy says:

Love your sweet little chair! I have a bench very similar to it that I brought home recently…although it has one slat of wood as the seat. (Needs to be replaced I’m thinking) or maybe just given the white treatment. I was lucky enough to go side of the roading last week and came home with a vintage globe, a few nice old pieces of granite ware, some old mason jars filled with lovely shells, and a print in frame by my absolute fave artist! Happy day for me!
    Love your blog!

30. Sally says:

I am inspired girls well done!!!!