Beach Cottage Farmhouse Table Makeover

Mon 9th, Jul, 2012

5 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 3 Buffer 0 5 Flares ×

20120709-01-IMG_2492

Yowzas Beach Cottage ladies, all I can say is yowzas on the DIY beach decor table and its progress, come on in and have a nosey, you are gonna lurve it I believe!

20120709-02-IMG_2420

So, remember how this all started off, a secondhand table thrifted while treasure hunting, Oregonian timber no less and just waiting for some Beach Cottage Lurve?

And all for eighty bucks.

Well look at her looking all purty now Winking smile

20120709-03-IMG_2428

I do believe her leggies are just a tad better with some Beach Cottage White, don’t you?

In many areas of life one does not need, want or lust after chunky white legs, in coastal style with a farmhouse twist circles however, a big bit of hefty white chunk goes down a dream…and this lady works the chunky leg rather well.

Work it baby, work it.

She has been cleaned up, fixed, given some attention and positively purred under Beach Cottage lurve…whipped with some primer

20120709-04-IMG_2437

…and I applied her first coat of paint (I am using aqua enamel paint on her – I debated this a bit actually because I only had aqua enamel in this cool white and my oil-based enamel in a warmer white – I decided I wanted cool white with her natural top but really wanted oil-based paint for wear and tear and three kiddos reasons, but I could not face a trip to the paint shop so I went cool white aqua enamel all the way – I have found it just as good really just there is something that I cannot put my finger on with oil-based, just somehow richer although the water-based is about a million times easier for clean-up)

20120709-05-IMG_2447

Here she is with her chunky legs looking pretty mighty fine, but a bit shabby on her top (might be somewhat similar to her new owner, cough cough).

Lots of stains, marks and definitely showing her age…

20120709-06-IMG_2452

So the problems to her top, were far from pretty, but nothing too tricky to fix – I have done a couple of these type of rescues now of old thrifted, or indeed, side of the road vintage treasure and have found this hand sander helps quite nicely.

20120709-07-IMG_2459

Though to be honest, I quite like the therapeutic qualities of hand sanding and I wouldn’t be investing in one of these unless you, like me, are fairly addicted to rescuing beaten up old furniture.

We got to work on her top with the hand sander and it didn’t take long for her to start looking really good, like much better than I thought she would look good.  I so love it when that happens and this is why I continue to be addicted to this hobby…find an old piece that has seen better days and is surely on the way to landfill, adopt as one’s own, apply some love and white paint and hey presto everyone in the scenario is laughing…

20120709-08-IMG_2481

And this is her after some Beach Cottage Elbow Grease – she has had the ultimate exfoliation treatment, makes micro-dermabrasion, look, well, micro….

Her top is now free from any blemishes, spills, knocks or water marks and she is ready to get oiled up…

20120709-09-IMG_2490

What do you think so far then?

a few more pics here :-)

[nggallery id=62]

Hello!  Earth to Beach Cottagers!

Anybody out there today?

Tell me what you think, I am about dancing around this old cottage in coastal beach decor glee…

Yah!

Do you think she’s starting to look good?

p.s. don’t miss Barley blogging at his page here

and if you didn’t catch the post when I found her, then you can see how this lady was in the Before post right here.

the Beach Cottage Guide to painting vintage furniture HERE

20120709-01-IMG_2492

5 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 3 Buffer 0 5 Flares ×

57 Responses to “Beach Cottage Farmhouse Table Makeover”

1. Motherofluvlies says:

Hi Sarah looks good.where are you putting it?It looks blueish in the photo.Is that what ‘aqua’ means?

• Anonymous says:

I think she means water based acrylic.

• No, she means water based enamel. Dulux branded water based enamel is called Aquanamel. I personally prefer Taubmans (Water Based Enamel Trim) which I use to paint alot of furniture…but any water based enamel is great, and very durable as long as you do your prep correctly :)

yes I do thanks!

• Fiona Gaven says:

Hi Sarah, it looks great! Looking forward to seeing it all finished. Ivebeen away for several weeks and just catching up on blogs now. I also love taubmans water based enamel trim that Karen mentions. Best enamel paint on the market I think.
          Cheers Fiona

2. Grace says:

I quite agree that chunky white legs on your table are just right. I can’t wait to see it all finished and in place.

3. Catherine says:

I love it! Those legs are amazing !

4. Lady Verbena says:

Lovely so far Sarah!
    Hey what do you think of giving the top this glossy cute finish: http://www.lindahomeiswheremyheartis.com/2012/06/deja-vu-i-think-ive-done-this-before.html

kisses from Argentina; LV

5. Amanda says:

I LOVE it so white and so very pretty! Chunky legs are just so in at the mo.Im also trying to source a table to upcycle defo must have the chunky farmhouse/coastal legs !

6. HRH Sarah says:

Lurv those shapely legs! The table looks great, can’t wait to see how it turns out. I know what you mean about oil paint, it has more depth, but such a mess!

7. Pam says:

It’s looking beautiful! I love the white legs and am sure it will look FAB in your cottage!

Pam

8. Alyson says:

It’s lovely, but you know what? I quite like the bluey looking shots…I think that would work in MY house! ;)

9. Kim H says:

Haha! Love the ‘Earth to us’!!! This is almost identical to my oregon farmhouse table. It’s all been stripped but I’ve had such trouble with it scratching really badly since I bought it. I’ve wanted a much more rustic one for sometime now but haven’t found one to match the generous size of mine (2 and a half metres long). I’m now toying with the idea of painting the top and just going with the whole rustic thing on it??? I love yours all painted. Looks lovely. How hard is the top stuff on the top of your table? maybe I could put that on mine if it’s hard enough??/ A two pack thingy would work but so toxic.Now you’ve got me all thinking about y table again. LOL xx

errm a painted top is pretty hardy (mine on the back deck is just painted) so that’s an idea that is simple to do…

I haven’t started using this yet but will oil it and see how the top goes for scratches etc
      x

10. Ally says:

Ooo la la. I have a similar table – same legs anyway – but the top is MDF with a wood finish. What would you do with that? I’m at a loss because the legs will be fantastic as I can see by yours but the top…..aaaaah. Would you just paint it? So confused…..

well painting it is always super simple – I have a similar one on my deck table that is painted white all over and it cleans up a dream! hth x

11. Jenny Bowman says:

Absoluteky love it. I have a table almost identical which seats 10 in my dining room and I wouldn’t part with it for the world.

12. loulou says:

Yes! Love it Sarah.

you’ve given not your ol’ 1-2-3 and look what it becomes

have a great day

x Loulou

13. Hey, my kitchen table has the same legs! The legs came from another table, and the table was legless (is that a word?) . My husband married the two together, and we now have a table too big for our kitchen, but it makes a great place to cut out cookies with our daughter. We’re definitely making lasting memories with it.

I love the sound of your memory making….

errrm I think I have been legless on a few occasions x

14. Lark says:

I love it! What a great rescue. I wish I was brave enough to take on such a project…maybe I should start with a little side table.

you totally can Lark, it’s super easy…honestly! my first piece was a sewing table…it turned out so brilliantly that I have never stopped lol! x

Making over old furniture is such a rush when the “new” version emerges.

Yep I am excited and as thrilled as you over your dining table. What a beaut thing she is turning into… Yep, I know I am addicted to the whole restoring and bringing back the glory to old pieces. I am itching to get into restoring various chairs I have in the garage and our backyard (mother in law had a good laugh, she couldn’t believe how many chairs I have out. I didn’t tell her about the ones in the garage though…) Unfortunately still trying to recover and the kids don’t excatly comply so they will have to wait ’till the days are longer…I am so excited…

Can’t wait to see your table all done up in your dining area… I really am glad you went with the chunky white legs (I also used the oil based on my dining table legs because like you said there’s a “richness” to it that I really like…) they look so good…

thanks Alice, errrm I know what you mean about having a garage full of stash…could be expensive handbags I suppose ;-)

I cannot WAIT to foof this baby xo

17. Neen says:

LUUUUUURVE this table make-over, can’t wait to see photos with ‘foofing’ going on ! ;)

18. Kat says:

Its perfect!
    What a bargain and what a fabulous job you have done.

19. Holy cow, she’s definately working it isn’t she?!! Gorgeous legs!! Can’t wait to see her all oiled up!!?! Actually can you please share what product you use on her top Sarah? I’m wanting to do a little oiling myself but not quite sure what’s best to use in a kitchen/eating environment? Again well done!…xx

Hi Janelle

I use an oil for kitchen benchtops, I will check out the brand and name etc and blog it when I do the table top…

Sarah x

20. Deb says:

HI Sarah, she is looking a beauty! I am about to paint some kitchen chairs. I will use aqua enamel for the top coat cause I love the stuff. Is zinnser the prep coat you use? I couldn’t remember the name. These chairs need something tough because they get a lot of love.

21. Dimity says:

Sooooooooooooo puuurty! I love it! Nearly as much as i love your coffee table :)

thanks Dimity, it’s quite as similar to the coffee table, though that one was totally free! x

22. Scolie Simpson says:

Hi Sarah , I just love your table .I love old furniture and have re-done some things also .I just happened across your blog so I am looking forward to seeing more of the things that you do ..

Hi!

Welcome to Beach Cottage Land, I hope you enjoy!

I love up-cycling old furniture, I think it is a bit of an addiction lol.

23. bec says:

Pretty nice job on the table… the colour works well in ABC land. Can’t wait to see you dress it up.
    Bec x

24. Celeste says:

It looks beautiful!

25. You have my exact table. bought from harvey norman about 12 years ago. I have been asking about it and now you have shown me how to do it! I will be doing the 8 chairs also. I think I will do the chairs all white. So zinsser prep coat then aqua enamel, straight out of the tin or do you add a white colour? I will be terribly interested to see the oil you use on the top now!

I add a tad of grey/blue to mine but often just go with pure white…the Zinsser will do all the work for you, it’s a no brainer xx

26. Rochelle says:

Ah Sarah, she is just beautiful! I was looking for one like that until my hubby (got impatient waiting for the right lady) bought me another beauty made of recycled wood that I am in love with. If I was you I would leave her top natural. You could put a lack on that would keep her from staining but that would not be oil so she wouldn’t be too shiny. Just a thought. Enjoy her, love her and treasure her. I know you already do. xx

27. Jane says:

She is looking wonderful… erm table is a she right? Oh and I would like a vote for shiney but natural wood. Whatever you decide – looking forward to seeing your progress.

28. DeAna says:

It’s good to know that so many people love chunky white legs. It makes me feel so much better about myself. ;)

29. sarah says:

duh ‘Anon’ I am an amateur and proud of it! plus this is first of three coats & drips will be sanded between coats

be careful when leaving anon comments – a giveaway to someone with no balls