beach cottage kitchen progress – IKEA Faktum cabinets

Thu 7th, Jun, 2012

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

20120607-01-ikea-faktum-unit

G’day Beach Cottage girls, some progress on how the kitchen is going with the IKEA Faktum units :  slowly!

You see, there is a small and very irritating problem in Beach Cottage Land in the Kitchen Wall Cupboard Fitting Scenario, it’s called Mr Beach Cottage’s back.  Humph.

There I am all dancing around and happy with my new wall cupboards those those whose insides I will stuff with jars of decanted stuff and line with polka dots, whose doors I will close and smile because all we will white and clad-like in my world, when Mr Beach Cottage also known as Chief Cupboard DIY Putter Upper goes and hurts his back.  I knew it was bad because he actually went to the pysio, that is unheard of around Beach Cottage Land.

And what is much worse is that the Physio instructed no lifting or bending!

What!

So undeterred I schemed a solution…. did that mean no supervisng I asked?

No, supervising would be ok.

Great, well we have four boys in this house (yes I am including the lovely Barls in that equation) surely together you can at least get these things put together!  Or put is this way, you want dinner you build unit.   Deal or no deal?

Deal.

And so what ensued was the males of this cottage on Sunday afternoon which was wet, dark and dreary getting their boy stuff on and getting these cupboards ready to be put up…

20120607-02-beach-cottage-ikea-kitchen

beach cottage kitchen update

tools

ikea kitchen instructions

faktum cabinet

[nggallery id=43]

This, in actual fact, turned out to be a very good lesson in family life – out came leadership, a teaming of resources, a sharing of knowledge and all that stuff that you see in those books that I never bought on parenting so I am not sure how I know, but, for sure, it happened in an old cottage on the beaches of Sydney on Sunday afternoon.

20120607-03-beach-cottage-kitchen-update 20120607-04-IMG_48781 20120607-05-barley-cavoodle 20120607-06-ikea-kitchen-instructions 20120607-07-IMG_4963

But now, well now I have to wait…the getting this on the wall we have worked out is going to be a bit of a job, especially with the back component…and there has been MUCH discussion on wall plugs and weight distribution in this old cottage…I just put my head down, got on with the dinner and threw in an extra clove or six of garlic for good measure :-)

What do you think, right now I have two of these keeping me company in the study, but it’s looking good so far huh?

Cheers

Beach Cottage Guide To Shopping IKEA HERE

Barley from the Beaches blogged today, don’t miss!  Click here to go to Barley’s blog

20120607-09-beach-cottage-ikea-kitchen-makeover

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

25 Responses to “beach cottage kitchen progress – IKEA Faktum cabinets”

1. Susan @ Afford Your Passions says:

Looking good so far! I’m sorry that Mr. Beach Cottage isn’t able to pull his weight!

2. Claudia says:

Hi Sarah,
    Have you thought about selling your photoshop actions on your blog? Your photos are wonderful and bright and have a uniform look about them – I love it and would buy your actions in a heartbeat. Or maybe you could do a tutorial on how to achieve something similar for your readers interested in improving their photography techniques… Love your work talented lady!
    Claudia :)

well no cos I haven’t got Photoshop lol!

I do most of the editing in Windows Live…it’s sooooooooooooooo easy !

and thank you too kind

x

• Claudia says:

I’ve actually never heard of it. I’ll be sure to check it out. Thanks! :)

3. Gretchen says:

Don’t you just hate when a man gets hurt and messes up your plan? Hope he gets better and it looks like the rest of your men did a really good job. I can’t wait to see your finished kitchen.

4. Melinda says:

Its looking very good so far – hooray for team work and just look at that lovely white cupboard !! Do you give it an occasional stroke?

5. Deanne says:

can’t wait to see them up and filled!

6. Mummaducka says:

Um, I think I would remove the doors, then reattach them when they are up. That would make them less awkward and lighter. Perhaps even you girls could do it? Hahahahaha! It is so good to see the male bonding at play! Make sure that all your benches and stove are well covered over so they don’t smash stuff getting it all up.

7. Selby says:

Beautiful! Can’t wait to see them up! I’ll do a happy dance for you. We’re renting and have no overhead cupboards at all so I feel your pain. Can’t wait to build a kitchen one day & I think I’d like cupboards just like yours:)

Happy long weekend cupboard festivus,
    Cheers
    Selina

8. Susan says:

I think they are going to look great. Cannot WAIT for piccys :)

hope his back gets better fast. I am six weeks down the track with a herniated L5…… tell Mr BC to take anti-inflammatories like Voltaren (you can get super strength ones….50mg rapids on prescription) and pain relief. Don’t have him lift your gorgeous cupboards till it’s totally better. Trust me, the last thing he or you wants it’s a serious back issue.

Susan xx

9. Can you not bribe one of your friend’s husbands with some beer and a good supper to put them up for you? Worst case you pay a handy-man to do it? How much could it be to hang a couple of cupboards?……

10. le_third says:

well done team BC :) bet dad was proud of his lads … can’t wait to see the end product – best le

Mr BC said he had a sore back and he went to the physio but did you actually get a note from the physio to explain Mr BC’s condition?? Mmmm

Love the cupboards.

12. yep love ‘em….

patience beach girl…don’t even be tempted to fill them there and then on your study floor! :)

sent you an instagram link to a french looking waste basket for this very study of yours- $3.50 – you’ll love it!

melissa

13. bec says:

Is that a teen boy in the photos? If so then good on him. I can’t even get my teen to take the rubbish out these days!… and as for building anything… pfftt… unless it’s a skateboard halfpipe, forget it.
    Job well done!

14. Kim H says:

Yep, it sure is looking lovely. Here’s to a very quick back recovery for hubby so he can get those cupboards up! x

15. Fleur says:

Loving your little ones legs in his boots in the last photos – adorable :)
    Fleur xx

16. Celeste says:

It looks like Barley wants his dinner!

17. Jan says:

At least you have the cabinets!

18. Trish says:

Hi Sarah,
    Love your choice of cupboards for the kitchen, like you I love Ikea and have been thinking about replacing my kitchen and putting in an Ikea one I think they look great. Sorry to hear that Mr B.C. has injured his back as a chronic pain sufferer from a back injury I sympathize with him and hope for a quick recovery. Glad to see Barley getting in on the action lol.
    Trish xo ;)

19. Terrie from Atlanta, Georgia says:

Good job, “BOYS”?!? Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that little MISS BC in the midst of all the hard work?!