How to have a fun weekend of DIY

Mon 11th, Jun, 2012

4 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 3 Buffer 1 4 Flares ×

20120611-01-IMG_5764

Howdy from a rainy Sydney Beach Cottage ladies!

How to Have a Beach Cottage Fun Holiday Weekend of DIY

1. order lashing down rain so males of house are not out playing sport

20120611-02-IMG_5771

2. convince males that DIY is good trade-off for working kitchen again & forty garlic chicken
20120611-03-IMG_9778
3. pretend to be seriously interested in the role of brackets

20120611-04-IMG_9786 20120611-05-IMG_9789

4. tell males that Frenchy hooks in the bathroom are paramount to a happy wife & therefore a happy life

and garlic chicken

20120611-06-IMG_5760

5. remind those above how happy a bit of DIY can make one, especially new internal doors

20120611-07-IMG_5402 20120611-08-IMG_5404

6. show them photos of how easy DIY is for some

7. continue to mention garlic chicken

20120611-09-IMG_5400

8. stroke kitchen cupboards

9. remind husband there were two cupboards & the handles need to go on too

10. continue to bribe males of cottage with garlic chicken

11. order no waves and therefore no going out in surf for males of this old cottage

12. scheme new accessories for kitchen

13. check in fridge for garlic

14. panic

How do you go about getting DIY done in your house?

pictures :  new internal doors in cottage, vintage fittings in family bathroom, Mr Beach Cottage whistling while he works.  not  ;-)

[nggallery id=46]

20120611-10-IMG_9793_thumb

4 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 3 Buffer 1 4 Flares ×

27 Responses to “How to have a fun weekend of DIY”

1. Julie-Ann says:

Lol my men will do anything for garlic chicken too. But the best garlic chicken is made by the butcher down the road. So whilst they DIY I just need to drive to the butchers. Love your strategies:)

2. Susan @ Afford Your Passions says:

How did you solve the garlic chicken dilemma?

Your kitchen is going to be done before you know it!

I love the French hooks in the bathroom!

3. Rah says:

very jealous that you have so many handy men in your house!!

4. brismod says:

Seems I’ve been putting out when I should’ve roasted a chook! xx

Tell Mr BC that alison thinks he’s a hottie. ;)

PS Mr alison and I just had a stay over your side of the Bridge at the Q Station. I know why you love living where you do. :)

I won’t tell him that actually, haha

yes errrrm it’s pretty nice over here! wow I love the Q Station, hope it lived up to it? x

• alison says:

Ooo, loved the Q Station. Staff are very attentive and polite, rooms and bathrooms are delightful, restaurant very nice and the location is magical. My only criticism was that we did the Adult Ghost Tour after the Historical Tour. The Ghost Tour was pretty much the same content with v e r y lame stories (in my sceptical opinion) thrown in. But…each to his/her own taste. Good venue for A Beach Cottage high tea, perhaps in the old Ladies’ Sewing Room and spilling out onto the verandahs?

Do you know the name and background of the really distinctive white apartment building built opposite the Q Station? It kinda looks like an ocean liner. I wonder if the architect used the history of Q Station as inspiration for its design.

Cheers

6. Janelle says:

I love DIY weekends….xx

7. Manda says:

You’re funny Sarah, thanks for giving me a chuckle. Love your psychological approach to DIY, men are such simple creatures really…promise them food or something else ;) and…voila…DIY heaven.

I am back out to the studio now to work on some orders and get ready for next Saturdays market, while I leave hubby in charge of the kids. What I don’t know won’t hurt me, right?

Enjoy the rest of your rainy Sydney long weekend, happy birthday Liz.

x manda

8. Christine says:

Woo-Hoo!!! (Love your header!) I get out all the materials and the tools and then announce that today I am going to …blank. I have, of course, found out that Mr. Me doesn’t have any real plans for today… Then, I praise the heck out of anything he does, even if I am biting my tongue and rolling my eyes. Praise goes VERY far with Mr. Me.
    Nice work, Sarah! LOL!
    xoxo, Chris

9. Melinda says:

My father always says ” the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” I take this to encompass all forms of “getting things done” too – looks like you have it down pat!
    Looking forward to seeing the reveal xx

10. mmmmm garlic chicken.. nom nom nom.. yes worth doing DIY for that. Loving the hooks..

11. I fully approve all of your weekend warrior DIY. I just love your doors! I have been wanting to do the same here in my house for ages. Where did you get them? and did you put new handles on too?
    I’m very glad to see your cupboards going up, but, only one?? Did they run out of puff? I hope he didn’t drop anything on your ceramic cook top, how do you find it? I have always had gas and got a ceramic one 2 years ago, they take some getting used to. Mine always seems dirty unless I cerapol it every tme.

12. Great strategy Sarah! Looks fabulous!

13. I would love to try your method… except there are no male to bribe in my little cottage… I do babysit for some friends in exchange of some DIY favours…

14. Jos says:

Hahaha – great work Sarah! Love your style – my way of getting the chap to get the ladder out – is to get it out myself and start flinging tools about in a very girlie sort of way – nothing gets him moving faster than the thought of a broken window!!!!

15. Well, aren’t you the clever, ingenious girl….! lol! I’ve never tried the garlic chicken route – which I will keep in mind, for sure. But I can usually entice the husband with a nice cold beer…..or ice cream. lol! Your cabinet looks awesome, btw!!!!

xoxo laurie

16. Tamara says:

Well with my hubby it’s the oldest trick in the book!! The merest suggestion of an early night and things get done around here with lightening speed (before I can change my mind!) ;-)
    LOVE your new doors – such an improvement x

17. how2home says:

Love the new white doors, looks really adorable and the french hooks is a nice addition! Kitchen is coming in nicely, can’t wait to see updates. Keep us posted!

18. Can you share with us more technical info as how the doors came our SO nicely?

19. maggie says:

Unfortunately, no one hears my nice voice.. They hear my nagging one, but then tune it out. I either hold them hostage, threaten to turn the tool shed into my art room or I just do it myself… and then my husband comes with his drill bits and level to save the day. SAD.