Beach Cottage Kitchen and IKEA Faktum

Mon 25th, Jun, 2012

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

20120625-01-beach-cottage-kitchen-makeover-ikea-2

G’day Beach Cottage lovelies, some IKEA Faktum kitchen cabinets today.

This is how far we are with the kitchen, the Faktum cupboards are up on the walls and full of flour that has been decanted into jars, various ones, new, old, vintage, Mason and blue – can I just say this was not a simple job with these walls…

But let me just say, it was sooooo worth it…for these cupboards have changed my life – ok that might rather be a bit of exaggeration, but, to be honest, it feels a bit like that.

You see before, though I love love love me some open shelving, some higgeldy piggeldy piles of vintage things and lovely packaging, labels, and bottles and pots, well it was all getting a bit…messy…and, I, truly believe if I were a single person or perhaps did not have a few rugrats running around this tiny old cottage then all may well have been ok…but life here, as usual, meant that in reality what happened was the open shelving was a bit jumbly…nice jumbly but jumbly all the same.

20120625-02-beach-cottage-flowers

…and jumbly after a while, began to get very irritating

And so now this side of the kitchen is all away behind closed doors – right now, it’s not jumbly inside there yet – and it’s amazing how it’s actually seeming, by some miracle, to keep itself neat…how long it will last I know not.

It’s funny, you don’t realise you missed something until you have it back.   I feel all grown-up again.  I am back in big girl’s proper kitchen cabinet land.  And it feels good.  Baby.

20120625-03-ikea-kitchen-faktum-cupboards2

As you can see, these do not have any handles on them yet – that is because the handles that I bought for them, that I thought went with them, will mean drilling through the outside of the front of the door to get them on the door – and we are not prepared to take the gamble with that that it won’t split…so back to IKEA for alternative handles anytime soon – hello not in the school holidays coming up!

Also going on under that unit will be a slimline extractor – I need to buy that too.

20120625-01-beach-cottage-kitchen-makeover-ikea-2

These are the tall version of the regular kitchen cabinets and I am very pleased I went with that – there is lots of storage in there, in fact when I was filling them up, there was much room for manoeuvre with these, unlike other kitchen cupboards, that have been in my domain in the past, which seem to only hold the odd utensil or two…

Overall, extremely pleased – this IKEA kitchen was always only meant to be temporary when we first moved in here, after getting a quote for waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than our budget would stretch to for a humdinger of a fancy new kitchen…but it’s still here and it’s still doing well – a few niggles with it but for the $$$$, cost per wear is very low..and I still very much love the butcher’s block unit on the other side….

Well, I’ll be off then Beach Cottage friends…

Yours in white cupboards, IKEA love, Faktum speak, colanders and pans hanging from ceilings and oh of course, blue vintage Mason Jars…

Adieu

20120625-04-blue-vintage-mason-jars

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

37 Responses to “Beach Cottage Kitchen and IKEA Faktum”

1. Krisztina says:

Lovely kitchen! Yes, it was sure worth the wait! Big thumbs up to the BC Crew!

2. Vicki says:

Sarah, I love the look of the bead board exterior! I haven’t been able to locate Faktum cabinets like that here in the US. You’re very lucky! Again…love it!

• Regina says:

I live in NY and I bought the same cabinets for the last place I lived in at an IKEA on Long Island.

3. Sarah says:

love it but I am very partial to the white ikea kitchens. don’t you just love the new clean cupboards. enjoy and i can’t wait to see the rest.

4. “…and jumbly after a while, began to get very irritating.” So very true that. It looks terrific. One question on the post though – what do you mean by “extractor”? -Jen

5. Melinda says:

Such a thrill to have a fresh new start – bet you’re loving just going in and looking at it all ( function being an added bonus )
    Are you feeling like Martha Stewart or someone now – all beautifully organized and on top of everything ?
    I would !! x

errrm that would be a no, but I wish I were as together as Martha Stewart…some hope! x

6. Liz says:

Love love love! I’d love a white kitchen,just need to convince Mr 2IC that he would love it too!

7. Glennie says:

Love it …… Glennie x

8. HRH Sarah says:

Love the cabinets, of course, because Ikea manages to fix so many problems so stylishly!
    Did you ever get a copy of the “Cottages and Bungalows” with your blurb in it??? I got it at the grocery store the other day! I love how the web has connected us from one end of the planet to the other!

no I never received one! I still haven’t even seen it lol

I would love someone to snap a photo and send me it! x hint hint

9. They look fabulous, Sarah! Love the beadboard (what other choice would there be, huh? lol!)!

xoxo laurie

I like! I would find a way to keep them without the handles… I think it looks really streamlined and neat without them. I can’t believe I just typed that because I lOOOOVVVEEE shopping for handles and I am already itching to change ours over after 2 years of use… It had been 3 years before that…I love the stainless steel top too… Hoping to get that done to mine eventually. With the hood try and get the best you can afford because I can tell you having an el cheapo extractor has caused so many problems… All the grease and sticky cupboards and the constant cleaning – yuk! i can’t wait to replace it with a proper one…It will be worth it…

hmm thanks for the advice Alice, I will look into it properly, though I can’t stand the look of hoods so it won’t be one of those…

yes it is streamlined and more than ok not to have handles the doors open perfectly and it would be nice to keep it streamlined x

11. Tammi says:

While I love the idea of open shelving I don’t think I could live with the dust that would collect.
    The new cupboards are a great fit for BC land…love them :)
    x

Tammi, the dust actually didn’t seem to be too bad I think b/c things were in high rotation, but the constant ‘neatening’ and it never being tidy did my head in in the end! x

12. Kat says:

It just looks perfect for your kitchen.
    I am loving your beadboard too and think I might do that in our new kitchen when we renovate and extend *one day*.
    Your house always looks so beautifully neat and styled.

thanks Kat, that’s because I only show you the tidy bits lol! I always say on here that with three kiddos and a puppy there’s a lotta living going on in this white place haha x

13. Love it. And you still have some lovely ‘jumbly’ bits on the benches. Best of both worlds! xx

14. Neen says:

LUUUUUURVE the new ‘hide-the-jumbly’ cupboards. Loving too, the white jug of daisies, they just make me smile ;) Neen

15. Janine says:

looove the large mason jars where did you get them please?

16. Deb says:

It’s gorgeous Sarah, hope you cook up a storm in there.

17. Elaine in Laguna says:

Much more serene and beautiful! Congrats to the BC crew!

18. Celeste says:

Wonderful! I’m so used to seeing only dinky little cabinets over the stove that serve little to no purpose. Yours look like they’re actually very useful and the proportions look great.

19. starynights says:

Love it !!!! Was at IKEA just yesterday drooling over a little white kitchen !!!! Yepper and it was the same postage stamp size as mine ! WIll be anxious to see what you do about the handles.

20. Love that new look! I have quite a few of those Mason jars. Love them to use all over the house.

21. Surely Sarah says:

Just have to say: goddamn I am jealous of your blue mason jars :) Love the cupboards!

22. how2home says:

You have a really beautiful kitchen. The blue mason jar fits perfectly in the kitchen! Great post!

23. katie says:

sarah…STILL love your kitchen. would love wider views though!
    and to the open shelving naysayers cuz of dust…..we USE all our dishes…so they don’t get dusty. I don’t have stuff in my open cabinets (whole kitchen) that I don’t USE!

still deciding….paint my hutch white? I want it…but my WHITE dishes looks so dandy in there. I need to go back and peruse your white hutch/freestanding cabinet you’ve done over in white pics!!