Easy Orange Muffins

Wed 30th, May, 2012

3 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 2 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 3 Flares ×

20120530-01-beach-cottage-recipe-easy

Good Morning Beach Cottage friends Well here to share a Morning Muffin with you today, you like a muffin in the morning, I am sure.

20120530-02-beach-cottage-morning-muffin-orange

Now this recipe comes courtesy of my lovely daughter Miss Beach Cottage, who, on a Sunday arvo can often be found pottering with flour, eggs and a few vintage mixing bowls…this girl gets from baking those things that other people talk about …that therapeutic mixing of things….for me that comes more with throwing things in a pot and letting it bubble away for the whole day…

20120530-03-breakfast-muffin

but I tell you what slowly and with the introduction of cups into my life as measurements, baking has become something that happens regularly around here…and there is nothing like keeping males in one’s house happy than muffins.

20120530-04-beach-cottage-muffins-lemon

So this came from a friend, I don’t know where she got it from, but she rocked up at a Morning Tea with a plate, and on it were these.  I ate one with a coffee, fell in love and promptly nagged her for the recipe.

We really like these – simple to make, easy ingredients, tasty and just good to have in the kitchen in the mornings…of course they are Dump & Go, I never do fussing and faffing in baking…it it goes, mix and hope for the best…these pass that test with flying colours…oh and I don’t have a food processor or any kind of mixer (no that man in the red suit still has not delivered to my fair hands a KitchenAid, one day ladies, one day) – I have a bowl (ahem rather a few vintage ones), a spoon and one tuck shop arm.

Easy Orange Muffins

2. whisk egg, melt butter

3. add milk, butter & egg to bowl

4. stir to combine

5. spoon into muffin liners

6. bake 200C 15-120 mins

20120530-05-breakfast-muffin1

Beach Cottage Recipe Notes  *these are non-sweet breakfast muffins, up the sugar if you like *add more orange zest to the top of the muffin after you have put the mixture in the case if you like it orangey *chocolate chips don’t go a miss here for that classic choc / orange combo *

[nggallery id=39]

Let me know if you make these muffins

new Barley blog is up on his page

You can find more Beach Cottage recipes here including this muffin recipe which you can throw anything at and it will work.  Pinky promise.

20120530-04-beach-cottage-muffins-lemon

3 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 2 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 3 Flares ×

31 Responses to “Easy Orange Muffins”

1. Fiona says:

wow, those look fantastic. I’m much like your daughter – baking is like therapy for me. I’ve recently started a challenge to bake one new cake (i.e. a new recipe) every week, and this recipe is likely to go to the top of the list!

2. Rukmini Roy says:

Goodmorning! absolutely would..with some Darjeeling green tea. Immediately. My tea is on the boil, think i can take one off this screen? These look delicious. I saw Donna Hay yesterday and for all the right reasons I thought of you. I love your food styling…actually I’m a fan. :)

well thanks so much for the compliment Rukmini, I am really enjoying messing around with food photography….it’s a STEEP learning curve though!

oh yes these with Darjeeling …x

• Rukmini Roy says:

You love darjeeling tea? That’s fantastic. I am from Darjeeling myself but stay in Bombay and believe me I never really got the hang of Indian Masala Chai. Some day i want to return and do my own tea farming. Haha…Meanwhile, next time I go home, I’ll pack some from the garden for you and send it across :)
        Have a wonderful day.

3. Chantelle says:

Hi Sarah,
    These look yummy! How much butter do I need?
    Xx

oops sorry I did check and missed that!

75g butter, amended now

I hope you like them!

4. Shaz says:

Hi Sarah, Very nice, think I will bake them this weekend. :)

5. Janelle says:

Hey Sarah. We love a good orange muffin here, any time of the day really. Have you tried throwing in some poppy seeds? They work nicely, just make sure to check your teeth before leaving the house!! xx

6. How delicious! Thank you for sharing. Also, the photos are simply perfect. Wishing you a grand day. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

7. Perfect timing – only yesterday I was Googling “easy orange muffins, less sugar” to bake this week! They look amazing :)

8. Manda says:

Thanks Sarah, and a big thank-you to Miss BC…my hubby is going to love these little beauties, and I have all the ingredients necessary to make them. Nothing makes me happier than a new tasty recipe that I don’t have to go the supermarket to begin.
    Thanks again…might try and throw in a couple of choc chips too, hubby just adores orange and chocolate together.

x manda

9. Aisling says:

Yum – I made some similiar this week but as I didn’t Have any oranges on hand I used mandarins and they were yum. Doh I hadn’t thought of choc chips with them – definitely try that next time!

10. Trish says:

These look perfect for hungry little boys and me too, Sarah.

11. Susan @ Afford Your Passions says:

I think I’m going to have to give these a try, Sarah. In 3 weeks, I will be having a dozen women staying at my place for 3 nights; I’m going to be feeding them breakfast and lunch each day, and I think some home baked muffins might just do the trick!

12. Terrie from Atlanta, Georgia says:

This is for Miss Beach Cottage: Aren’t you the smart & clever girl! Soon you’ll have your own following, just like Barley… ;) Idea for you – do you and your brothers / parents like cranberries? If so, try throwing a handful (maybe 1/2 cup) into the dry flour mixture. This will coat the berries and prevent them from sinking. You can place a few more on the tops of each muffin right before baking for a yummy look, too. I make this muffin when cranberries are in season in America – Thanksgiving time – but frozen berries also work nicely. For extra energy and health, add chopped walnuts. Delish! Your new nickname shall be The Muffin Queen…Long Live the MBCMQ!

13. You see, I’ve often wondered if you all have measuring cups that hold the volume of grams? :-) Because how else do you measure besides scooping out from your canister with a measuring cup and scraping off the top with the back of a butter knife? :-) Looks mouthwatering and def. going to try…. ps – Table spoons are just as lovely to measuring butter as cups are to flour!

I think in Australia it’s a mix of people using cups and grams…in England it’s grams all the way with a scale…which is why I didn’t like it….when I converted to cups it all changed…

thanks for the tablespoon tip x

• Well…. our butter wrappers are marked in tablespoons, so you just cut the number you need by the markings. Bet your wrappers are the similar… there is no measuring, just a zip with a sharp knife :-)

So run it past me again. Did you use to measure recipe ingredients only in grams, never in standardised cup or spoon measurements??

yes in England it’s more weighing things, but when I discovered measuring and recipes in cups it was much better for my baking :-) x

hmmm, it’s a duluxe chip that you get mixed…hth x

15. Thanks, I love “dump and go” recipes!

Put the mixer on your Christmas list. I told my husband I could live without one for years, and now, after he finally insisted on getting one, I can’t live without it. KitchenAid stand mixer equals more time on the beach. :)

16. Selby says:

Looks yum!& to be honest I’m just as in love with your styling as with the thought of muffins- the pretty papers, the jug the spoon- a feast for my eyes. Thankyou:)

thanks very much, I am right into food styling at the moment…my latest phase, hope it lasts! x

17. Sam says:

Hi Sarah,

Just made a batch of these for afternoon tea on this rainy wet Sydney Sunday arvo….. As usual another delicious recipe! Thank you. I always Facebook or pin the recipes I try…. A couple of my girlfriends have since tried the chicken curry….and they loved it too!
    Cheers Sam

18. I’ve been always meaning to make orange muffins, but never got around to it! I’ve got to make the time though!