Beach Cottage Vintage Crochet & Linen

Tue 22nd, May, 2012

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 Buffer 0 2 Flares ×

20120522-01-IMG_2761

Beach Cottage ladies, we have some vintage linen and some wood/twig washed up on the beach today here in Beach Cottage Land….don’t say I don’t keep you entertained now will you ;-).  Come on in.

So, yep I have posted about colanders on this blog, about things sourced from the side of the road, about botox for one’s derriere and uniforms.  Now I give you twigs and vintage crochet.

I have a large, I mean gigantic collection of vintage linens, doilies, tablecloths, handkerchiefs, throws, napkins…you name it I have them, I LOVE them, how they hint at days gone by and softer more gentle times when ladies did things quietly with needles rather than riding around on broomsticks after playing taxi-driver…

I don’t know anything about it though, a bit like the vintage china I collect, I just do it for hoarding vintage value and a bit of fun thrifting with a coffee…I am not one of those collectors who knows stuff if you know what I mean…I don’t know what the materials are, what stitches have been used, what era it comes from or where it hails from.

I just know I like it.

20120522-02-IMG_2744

Mostly I just stash and stroke, I am sure you know what I mean by that, but for this little project I took the plunge and am using some of them so that they are out on show rather than lonely and cold stuffed in a vintage suitcase under the coffee table in the sitting room…

I put them together for something I have been wanting to make for ages, indeed it has been sitting hovering in the back of my mind for a couple of years now…and never have quite found the time to actually do it…funny that because in actual fact, it took 15mins, tops.

20120522-03-IMG_2758

Are you wondering what it is?

Haha …here it was in the planning stage

I will be back with the finished product very soon.

I’m taking bets on what it is ;-)

20120522-04-IMG_2755

2 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 2 Buffer 0 2 Flares ×

38 Responses to “Beach Cottage Vintage Crochet & Linen”

1. ComfyChair says:

I’m betting a curtain, or valance, for a window? Gorgeous linens. Like you, I know little about them, but I just love them all!

2. Cee says:

Good morning Sarah, and I’m going to guess either curtains or a tablecloth – likely curtains since you talked about twigs lol.

3. Shar Y says:

Genius! I have a lot of vintage linens, too, that I like to “stash and stroke” (love that term you coined). Anyway, have wanted to do something with. Whatever your idea is, and I can’t wait to see, I think i will be copying(ish)!!

4. Helen T says:

hmm Sarah, I was thinking a curtain too as I have been gathering and collecting my supplies for something similar but I intend sewing them on to a linen background for my bedroom windows
    love Helen T

5. Helen T says:

Hello again, the other option is a lampshade cover?

6. Window treatment for your summer house!

7. Mary says:

Window treatment for the summer house – what else?!?

Can’t wait to see them – lovely start.

Mary in MN

8. yep, curtain or bedspread! certainly not a dog bed!

9. Glennie says:

Hmm I think a vintage throw/bed cover for the bed …. however having read Mary’s comment I’m now more inclined to think she’s right. My Mum passed away 4 years ago and I have all her absolutely beautiful embroidered table and tea cloths. They are truely exquisite as she was a beautiful sewer. I have a memory of her working on one of them as I was entranced by the colours of the threads .. such a lovely memory to have. x

10. Can’t wait to see what comes of them ;)

11. I have some of my gran’s old linens….. so pretty. ❈

12. jen says:

Maybe a cushion cover or a curtain…curtain would show the lovely detail and a cushion cover could look nice over a soft aqua perhaps to show the detail
    :-)

13. Hmmm..I am thinking that you are going to paint the lovely lacey image of the linen onto the rug. Am I right?
    ;-) iI would look lovely and I imagine not take much time.

Cristine

14. Christine says:

I agree with Jen, a cushion cover or curtain for the summer house. I have a stash too of linens Sarah, most of which were given to me by my hubby’s grandmother when we were married nearly 16 years ago. I love looking through them, some are so intricately made.

We are getting some awesome autumn weather here in Perth this week, the ocean has been so calm.

Have a gorgeous day!

Christine

15. Becs says:

Table runner ;)

16. Susan @ Afford Your Passions says:

As someone who regularly plies her needles, rather than a broomstick, I just have to say that it’s not days gone by that this stuff was done :)

I’m another one voting for you’re making some kind of window covering, although I think it would make a lovely runner for an outdoor table.

17. Cherrie says:

A collector after my own heart. I think the women at the oppy believe I sell the goods but the closest I get to that is to share some of my stash with a couple of like minded friends. I have nearly a bookshelf of table clothes and two large baskets of doilies. I blame the addiction on coming from a family sadly lacking in such a heritage – just a handful of treasured pieces that I always yearned to see. I’ll wait to the reveal as my guessing skills are sadly lacking at this time of the morning. Cherrie

yes Cherrie, I think my addiction comes from the same place xo

• Alice says:

I second that Cherrie…I sometimes feel like a cloud with nothing to anchor me down to any body…. Can be very… lonely…

18. Jim S says:

dog wrap for Bali?

19. Emma says:

I reckon it’s your version of a witch’s cape Sarah, so you can look ‘vintage’ whilst riding your broomstick!!!!
    My real-life guess is that it’s a pillow/cushion cover, and it will be lovely. I should have snapped up those doilies I saw in Vinnies today :-) Maybe I will just have to go back and grab them tomorrow.

20. Janelle says:

Love a bit of vintage linen. ALOT!! I’m guessing curtain or gorgeous pillowcase. Whatever…I cant wait to see! xx

hmmm…. Could it be bunting? I have seen the doily version going around lately lol… Might try it myself for my little girls room…Can’t wait to see what it is!

A curtain or framed craft work for your girlie shed wall.

PS I got a pair of my grandmother’s spectacles and their case framed. They’re a talking point.

23. Candice says:

Gee got everybody guessing Sarah .. I will go with either a vintage pair of big girl knickers .. or a lace patch bedspread .. lovely post Sarah. cheers . I am off to catch up on missed posts .

24. Julie Johnson says:

I’m thinking either a cafe’ curtain for the new bath or the summer house using the driftwood piece to hang it. Whatever you do with it I’m sure it’ll be lovely.

25. Mimi says:

That is why I read your blog! I do the exact same thing and it’s like giving me permission! I usually don’t know much about an item but number one…if I like it…number two I can usually spot a good quality linen and can’t bare not to buy it for $1. Waiting patiently for the finished product….curtain…shower curtain…apron? I will be back to find out! Your strategy is working!

26. Sarah W. says:

I think it’s going to be a pillow cover, who couldn’t use another pillow cover….

27. Curtain for the summer house, I’m thinking…. what a great idea! Perfect for that sweet little house. I want me one of those, btw! Oh, eating a streusel cupcake as I type : )))))

28. Candy says:

Curtain or table runner…depending on how many pieces you have!! If more than a few, it could even be a bed cover…whatever it is, it will be gorgeous with the Sarah stamp firmly in place.
    Oh, FYI, the Aldi store in the states (FL, anyway) is NOTHING like what you have there!!! Tiny store with nothing but off brand groceries! So disappointed but I didn’t have to travel far, so am glad for that!!

29. Rukmini Roy says:

:) I’ll wait. No guesses here knowing you!

30. A bedspread? I dream of a bedroom that is that girlie and tidy. Mine seems to end-up being the dumping zone WAY too often.

31. the freckled minx says:

I’m thinking a big smooshy vintage pillow for Barley to nap on. Can’t wait to see what it is…..B:)

32. Nadine says:

From top left of the photo, you have Batenberg lace on cotton, Battenberg is a lace made with a machine made tape (or you could make your own lace tape if you were learning to make simple bobbin lace), you then lay the tape on a paper pattern and sew between the tape to create the lacy effect. I have patterns for Battenberg in a 1870 household book. Then there is crochet on cotton material, with a crotchet medalion in the centre, then the bottom is crotchet I know it by pineapple stitch, but of course may have other names.
    I even like to buy or find the damaged pieces and restitch them on to a stable background. To see them gives me pleasure, to share the pleasure is beyond description.
    Lovely pieces Sarah.

33. sharran miles says:

A pillow !!!… fold it in half stitch around the edge and stuff !!! thats what I would do ….cant wait to
    see what you do !!!