Beach Cottage Gets it so very wrong

Wed 23rd, May, 2012

237 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 237 Buffer 0 237 Flares ×

20120523-01-beach-cottage-summer-house-renovation-diy

Well G’day Beach Cottage ladies.

Of course some of you guessed correctly, no flies on Beach Cottage gals are there?

A Summer House window dressing, beach vintage style.

One that I got very wrong.

20120523-02-IMG_28031

I’ll keep this short and sweet

The vintage crochet patchwork curtain?

Love.

Pure love.

20120523-01-beach-cottage-summer-house-renovation-diy

But, put it this way.

20120523-03-IMG_2804_thumb

The twig, driftwood or not, will not be staying.

It looks like a nailed a twig to the window.

Which I did.

To try and be a bit, you know, different.

I wanted something casual and tied-on, definitely no pole,  a bit rustic to contrast with the crochet, plus I wanted to not buy something, I very much wanted to up-cycle and re-cyle rather than buy buy buy.

20120523-04-a1111

Failed.

But I thought I would show you anyway.

Keeping it real ladies.

Keepin’ it real.

20120523-05-IMG_2842

[nggallery id=33]

Any ideas on how to fix the crochet curtain on the window frame without a pole?  Seen anything amazing in blogland?  I am wondering about one of those wire things….??

Hit me with what you think…

Cheers

See you next time

oh new Barley wonder puppy ;-) posts are up on his page, check ‘em out

20120523-06-beach-cottage-summer-house-diy-crochet-

103 Responses to “Beach Cottage Gets it so very wrong”

1. Glennie says:

I think it should work – what about if you found a twig/small brach that went right across the top of the window frame? Then it would look more balanced … I’ve seen a photo of a similar size window with a branch right across it and a sheer curtain bunched to one side which looked fabulous. x

P.S. I also read where someone had used high tension wire – which is apparently very dangerous!

2. karen says:

Love the look and I am loving your blog. I was so excited to see your progress on the summer house:)
    Perhaps a bigger piece of driftwood, shell hooks or nails with shells hot glued on the end to hook your string onto.
    Just some other ideas from one cottage gal to another.

thanks for the blog love

after your comment I checked out some shells to see if I could glue them to the frame and then ‘hook’ the crochet onto them…some of them look like the right shape so it might work, thanks!

3. Can’t you just screw hooks or knobs into the wall, then rest the branch on the hooks or knobs? Just a thought….

I could just do knobs, which I have some very nice Frenchy ones….a good thought, thanks

4. I just think your twig is too little, thin and wiggly/bendy, try to source a thicker straighter longer one. Oh yes the stretch wire with the litttle wire hooks and covered in white plastic would work but might look a bit clinical, that could be attached to the very top of the frame. What about just a broom handle and a couple of really big cuphooks?

5. sue austin says:

Is an oar or paddle too large?

6. Jen says:

Something thicker would probably look fine and let you still indulge in all the reasons you pursued the twig in the first place. Birch would be fabulous, if you can find it.

• Nst90 says:

I was going to say birch too, cos well it’s so modern and white and .. straight. Not sure if it’s summerhouse-ish though…..

7. Deb says:

I like it, butr what about a piece of bamboo going across it would still look natura;, you can get some nice thin pieces that are used for garden stakes!

Deb I have a bamboo one with a curtain in the sitting room…I painted it white, it looks great so that is a good idea!

8. Lolo says:

Im thinking instead of a nail to hold the branch up, how about a vintage coat hook, or maybe even some sort of fisherman’s hook that you can nail into the wall and attach the curtain to the hook?
    Or maybe if you must use just a nail, how about an old one that looks more rustic?
    I personally am LOVIN the casual beachy look it gives to the window. :)

9. Anna says:

Think your on the right track with the driftwood, I’d suggest a larger branch, not necessarily length but maybe in width.

10. Hi sarah….maybe make a cute little doiley crochet bunting to go across the top of the window..(like a little pelmet)..then hang the side curtain with some nails underneath (so the nails wouldn’t show)..

x andrea

11. Pam says:

I think a small oar would look great or an old handle still connected to a garden tool
    Love the room . Enjoy the beautiful day today Sarah.

12. I’d go for a thicker piece of driftwood. It wouldn’t have to go all the way across the top of the window; however, I think just a tiny bit past it would be best so you can hang other stuff from it. Not that you like to hang stuff or anything like that :)

13. Jos says:

I love the twig – love all things natural – have seen a thicker one that was then painted in muted hues in different sized stripes vertically – that looked pretty cool too. If you have twig finding trouble let me know and i’ll bring you a bunch back form the garden next week!

14. I’ve seen a few people do this and was talking to one of my friends who also did it in her daughters room. I would think it would annoy the crap out of her every night struggling to slide the curtain over the bumps in the wood. she’s bearing with it at the moment but not sure how long that will last.
    Looks very pretty in your summer house though.
    cheers Fiona

15. Oh I am really good at doing stuff like that, and DH comes home and says “why is there a twig nailed to the wall.”
    I think I am totally missing the creative interior design gene.
    I think you are only having an off day though. Because the rest of the time you get it so right!!

16. Mrs Woog says:

HOT GLUE GUN. I WILL LEND YOU MINE X

17. Al says:

Use antique glass drawer pulls. The old glass would be pretty with the vintage cloth.

18. missy says:

I agree, a less-bent twig might look better; also, try a finer twine, or ribbon? The rope you used is too heavy for such a beautiful piece of crochetted linen. Keep trying, you’ll get it just so!

19. I agree with either a piece of bamboo, or a row of small, vintage, glass knobs. As an alternative, since rope is so “big” right now, what about a simple dowel rod wrapped in white cotton twine or even hemp colored twine? You could hang it with two cup hooks painted white and they would blend right in.

hmmmm the wrapping of the rope sounds right up my alley, thanks so much Kimberly…musing that idea right now x

20. Tabby says:

I saw a curtain done with a piece of wood. A plank, rough, weathered, etc. It was attached above the window… There were nails sticking out every 6 inches or so… then the curtain was hung from the nails sticking out.

21. Sharon says:

Hey Sarah
    Love love love your house and always interested in what you’ve been up to. We have a beach house at Manly in Qld so my style is very similiar. We recently changed our kitchen blind from a Roman ( got a tad mouldy and dirty in the ktichen) to a white venetian ( thankyou IKEA). I can tell you it looks absolutely fabulous and the horizontal lines of the blind would make the space look biger and look great with the vertical lines of your adirondacks. Know you said you didn’t want to spend , but the blind would only set you back $30-40, they are quite cheap and look amazing! Cheers Sharon

thanks Sharon, I know what you mean b/c I have those blinds on every single window in the cottage lol!

yep I am going for one of those on the other window but wanted crochet on this one x

• Sharon says:

Ha! Too funny…btw I do love the crochet and battenburg lace, feel you just need to ‘foof that twig’. I know you’ll get it right :-)) Need some ideas on how to change the other two blinds in the dining and family area to match the kitchen without hubby noticing….timber venetians, perfectly ok, their just not white…help !!

22. Sarah says:

I like it! I think it looks great but if you want to change it, there must be a good piece of driftwood out on that beach of yours!! Nice weather-worn and it would look perfect! ;-))

23. I love it … maybe a thicker longer piece of driftwood? I just want to come and soak up the sun in that summer house!

24. Liz says:

How about more twigs, not necessarily a bigger one. maybe a twiggy collage. I don’t know, but the curtain does look good with the natural twig. Sweet idea.

Liz

25. Carla says:

Oh………….I kinda like it…………..

26. Hannah says:

I actually quite like it….I just think you could improve on the concept. I think it needs to be a heavier, longer piece of driftwood.

27. Claudia says:

Hi Sarah,
    I just love what you are trying to do there. A thicker, straighter branch running all the way across might work better for you. The contrast of a thick, grey branch against the delicate curtain and white background would look so wonderful. Your summer house is amazing btw! I would love to see more of your beautiful garden too. Happy decorating!
    Claudia

Isn’t it frustrating when a great idea looks crap!!??

I’m thinking, put up a white wooden venetian on the window and then frame one of your favourite old lacey things in a white or driftwood-like frame to put up on the wall.

Sarah…. I actually quite like it the way it is… It makes me think of a real life artwork… Like a painting image come to life or in real time rather than something captured on canvas… I don’t know if it makes sense…. I really like it the way it is though. If you want to make it more symetrical you could look at replicating the almost exact thing on the other side having the branches crsiing over in the middle. Who says window dresses can’t be artwork or a talking point? lol

30. Lydia says:

How about a little peg rack painted white? You could tie the curtain onto the pegs with the twine. That way you would see more of the pretty lace. The rack could go across the whole width of the window and you could hang the curtain to just one side with some other cute beachy things from the other pegs to fill in front of the window.

31. Sarah-Jane says:

I agree….Bigger branch for balance…..broomstick or oar would be simply fabulous….maybe even
    “Oar-some”!!!!!

32. Janelle says:

I have absolutely no idea what to suggest or any helpful advice. I’m just enjoying the gorgeous photos thanks Sarah!!! xx

33. I think a heavier, longer, and most importantly straighter twig would have worked wonderfully too. But what about a wooden broomhandle. That is nice and chuncky, with a bit of vintage vibe and it goes well with the prairy theme the crochet brings. Btw the crochet are you sure you want to hang it like that with the threads, seems to me it might rip it in the long run. Or have you fortified the loops.
    Anyway love how the summer house is shaping up.

thanks no I didn’t fortify them and yes a broomhandle or broomstick ;-) might be good xo

34. Rukmini Roy says:

I think the little steel hooks, you can get them, spray them with white and get them drilled. Keep the twig on top and it’ll stay perfect with the BC look. :)

But you know what? I find it very beautiful. If only it would stay.

35. Selby says:

Yep like others have said- a bigger stick or just hooks or nails or wire. Hows about a nice wooden oar? Surely you have one hanging around in bc ?;p but seriously if you could wangle one from someplace that would be pretty:)

I have more than one hanging around lol!! I have a stash under the house but they are very large compared to this small window x

36. kt says:

sorry…i think it looks very simple, cool, neat…love it. like i love everything you do!

37. Rochelle says:

Sarah, honey I kinda like it. But I see your point. I like the idea of hooks on the wall that you can hang the little bit of vintage onto. Love the pictures. xx

38. annie says:

It looks like a good excuse to go walking on the beach looking for the right piece of driftwood- something old and straight like a white washed, broken off mop end all weathered down after years of swabbing decks. What are the chances?

39. bec says:

I’m liking the bamboo idea painted white. It’s beachy and straight which I think it needs as the crochet is so random. You can get a thin piece of tiger grass bamboo from someones garden. It’s a bit more delicate.
    Cute room by the way!!
    Bec

40. Kath says:

Drawer knobs or cup hooks screwed into the wall and then tie the curtains on with ribbon. That would look gorgeous out there!

41. veggie mama says:

I think I’m coming down with something… I actually like it! And I am not a twig/shell/driftwood gal. Man, I need a Bex and a lie down xx

42. Julie Johnson says:

Use round decorative or vintage knobs and space them apart above the widow frame and use ribbon or twine to “attach” the cafe’ curtain to the knobs. I’ve seen this done and it’s a really neat and different way to hang a curtain without using a rod.

43. Sylvia says:

How about painting the twig pale grey or pale turquoise (aqua)? I also like all the suggestions to get a larger twig and support it with some old cabinet knobs, like the round, white porcelain ones or faceted glass ones. You’ve got me thinking that I should plan a visit to our local beach (on Lake Ontario) and hunt for some driftwood! I moved in to this apartment 7 years ago and the livingroom still has no curtains. LOL

44. Shar Y says:

wow, so many ideas here! I think I favor the idea of the perfect piece of driftwood the most. That with the random vintage linens will give the summer house the look of a building from years gone by, a place one would stumble upon while on a long beach walk. And, people did use whatever they had around the house so much more than we do. but, in the end, you have to be able to walk in and go “ahhhh”, love this little house!

45. cris says:

I think it’s charming. I think I may try it in my kitchen.

46. Kathleen says:

just tiny nails into the top facing board of your window – hang the twine or ribbons from that. It is a ‘no look’ method of hanging:)

47. Renee says:

What about using a 1/2″ or smaller piece of galvanized pipe with elbows and an escutcheon plate for the bracket? We just did that in the salon I just opened for a rustic look and it came out fantastic!

48. Great curtain! I was think and oar too or maybe a nice startched piece of thick ship’s rope?

49. Grace says:

I was going to say, what about an oar…but I see the commenter above me just said that. Anyways, I don’t think the drift-twig looks half bad…maybe something with a bit more substance tho since the twig does look a bit puny. I love the whole upcycle, don’t buy, make do with what’s on hand idea tho.

Blessings, Grace

50. Nst90 says:

I actually kind of liked it too.. Kind of.. what’s the word.. “deconstructed” or something? Beautiful idea though. I like the idea of thin bamboo painted white too :)

51. Girlygirl says:

Maybe those big old fashioned pegs (dolly pegs?? I think they are called) glued to the frame and just push the edge of the curtain into them. Just a thought. The curtain is gorgeous Sarah.

52. Jane says:

How about a nice piece of driftwood? Wood that’s been caressed into beauty by the sea, string that’s been lovingly made into a work of art by talented hands.

53. Heather says:

You could use cute drawer pulls attached to the wall a board or whatever you want then loop the curtain onto the pulls. In the States, Hobby Lobby has tons of drawer pulls to choose from. Not sure if you can purchase theirs on-line or just fine a local store that sells something similar. Good luck!

54. Lesley says:

Unfinished wood finials, or drawer pulls, then grosgrain ribbon to tie ‘em up

55. Lesley says:

You might consider attaching the curtain all across the top edge, then pull up the hem in the middle, sort of a swag effect. Loop twine around to secure it, then cover the knot or the twine with a shell or some other decorative object. THe curtain would be stationery, no opening or closing option. Think eyelashes for the window!

56. Sylvie says:

I just LOVE what you did with the twig and tying string through the crochet! In terms of achieving a rustic look – you NAILED it (pun intended)! I even like the unevenness of part of the twig being painted. BUT – if you’d like to try another rustic variation, look for a straighter twig, such as a pussy willow branch – or even a smoother branch like eucalyptus. Get 2 white coffee cup hooks (they are coated in rubber) as supports on either side of your window. For the loops through the crochet, why not use binder clips? They come in colors now, I believe (I’ve seen pale blue and white). These are all items you may have around the house and if not, won’t cost much. I DO love your upcycling orientation though. Gives me food for thought. Always.

57. Sylvie says:

Sarah, my apologies. Correction: the binder clips are the wrong name. I Googled it and they are binder RINGS.

58. Karen Newton says:

How about hanging the vintage curtain from a weather oar?

59. I think you just need a bigger twig. Well, a branch, maybe 3cm diameter — something with more presence. The twig is out of scale, that’s all.