remember

Wed 25th, Apr, 2012

4 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 4 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 4 Flares ×

20120425-01-IMG_0170

G’day fellow Beach Cottage people, well it’s a public holiday here in Australia, it’s Anzac Day.

20120425-02-IMG_9906

For those of you who don’t know it’s the day that Australia remembers.

20120425-03-IMG_9932

Lest We Forget.

20120425-04-IMG_9877

I have mentioned on here before that I am a big war history person, have been since I was quite young,

‘we’ll fight them on the beaches, we will never surrender’

these are words that resonate with me.

20120425-05-IMG_9955

Things have changed though in the world, but I think it’s a great thing that this new country of mine, has a holiday to celebrate those who have fought and serve

20120425-06-IMG_0167_thumb

and those who lost so very much and those that are still suffering now.

20120425-07-IMG_9907

A Japanese Prisoner of War was at one point in my life and the more I have learnt, researched and studied, it seems that what he went through as a very young man may still be effecting those that follow him a couple of generations on…

20120425-08-IMG_0074

…to have survived was, perhaps, not the best deal…

he was far from an ANZAC, the opposite side of the world indeed

but doing the same thing

war is war is it not?

20120425-09-IMG_0173

so today I will be thinking…

20120425-10-IMG_9893

and with those thoughts I will leave you with Barley does Beach Cottage

…I am grateful that I am here, on the beaches with a puppy, because of those that took off to war…to unknown lands, as young boys, from as far away as Australia to fight for a King and a Country so very far way….and those still dong similar things today…

…for people like you and me

see you next time in Beach Cottage land

broadcasting from the beaches of Sydney – the  Beach Cottage Daily is here – catch up with the daily beach-side pics

need some more cavoodle puppy love?

[nggallery id=14]

20120425-11-IMG_0205

4 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 4 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 4 Flares ×

39 Responses to “remember”

1. Susan @ Afford Your Passions says:

“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.”
    ~ Lawrence Binyon

2. Melissa Thompson says:

I’m dying to know where you got the polka dotted duvet/comforter! Ive google searched, searched your blog, etc. Help!! It must live in my house :)

3. Liz says:

Here, here! to those who serve their country! Remember, we must, or we will regret.

Great post and heart-melting photos. I know it takes a lot of time to take and adjust and upload and post so many beautiful images. Thank you for putting your heart into it. It’s such a treat to stop by and see what’s up on your side of the world each day.

4. Candy says:

Happy Anzac Day!! We have Veterans Day here in the US as well as Memorial Day. Can’t honor our heroes enough!! On another note, can’t take my eyes off that precious Barley!! How do you get ANYTHING done?? Oooh, I could just eat him up…lol

hmm well yesterday I mostly sat around with him asleep on me lol x so I am getting nothing done right now!

5. Yes, as Candy said we have Veterans Day and Memorial Day here in the USA. and we can never ever thank our Vets enough for fighting and still fighting for our freedom. God Bless them all!

6. Gretchen says:

What a lovely post. We celebrate our hero’s in May on Memorial Day. Your puppy just gets cuter every time he appears.

Gretchen

7. Carol says:

What adorable and cutie dog you have. I want to cuddle him all day and play with it.

8. Deanne says:

I always like to make Anzac biscuits today!

9. Kim says:

Barely is so stinkin cute! I am getting a new puppy for our youngest and can’t decide on what yet.I will have to check out Cavoodles.I like Cockers looks similar.~Cheers Kim

well we have been really pleased with our little cavoodle, he has the funniest nature, good luck x

10. Sue says:

Thankyou Sarah for a very thoughtful and expressive post on a day that never fails to bring tears to my eyes for all those innocent and patriotic young men going blithely into battle for the love of their country. My sadness is, that history hasn’t really taught men anything about preventing mindless bloodshed, as Australians we will be remembering “them” for all time from the Boer War to Afghanistan and beyond.
    On a lighter note….I’m still very chuffed to have had my white shelf on display on your site ( sue…..mother of bm) thanks, and pup is adorable btw.

oh hello lovely!

thanks for commenting, I love your sweet daughter :-)

yes this day brings tears to my eyes too – especially poignant as my first comes near to the age that some of these boys went to battle…unbelievable really!

x

11. Paula S. says:

Thanks Sarah for your lovely and thoughtful post today. We lost my dear grandfather just yesterday, a veteran of Tobruk and Malaya, so today is especially poignant for my family. His local RSLclub (where you spent some hours during your memorable Qld public holiday drama!) is throwing his wake for us later in the week to commemorate his contribution to Australian society. We truly do live in the lucky country”, Lest We Forget.

12. Janae says:

Your dog is sooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!! & your home is gorgeous!

13. Veggie Mama says:

How beautifully put. You are so eloquent.

I love war history too. I soaked up as much information as I could when I was younger. Resonates so much, huh xx

14. Selby says:

Yes lest we forget.

I know what you mean about being thankful for our free beaches bought at such a high cost.

15. Rukmini Roy says:

Aww poor thing! He is seriously a cute subject Sarah..I wish my Guinea Pigs were a little more interactive!

Happy Anzac day!

Thank you Sarah….
    I know I am forever grateful… You are so right to mention that there are 2 sides to every coin… It is important to remember that too… But for today I am very greatful to those that made the ultime sacrifice…

P.S: That 2nd photo of Barley…. Him staring out to the world… Very whismical… I love it and it’s my absolute favourite ;-)

17. Melissa says:

Well said, Sarah!

18. Mary says:

My son is 17, graduating high school in June, and feels a responsibility to fight for his country and it’s citizen’s freedom. As his Mom, I’m petrified. I try to remain optimistic and feel pride in the fact that he is a good citizen. Thank you for recognizing those who have and will continue to serve for t
    heir country.

19. Lovely post. We had Eva Olson (holocaust survivor) at our school today and it was heartwrenching. My father-in-law was one of the first British soldiers (RAF navigator, shot down 6 times) to open the camps and even though he is almost 90 he still has nightmares about the war.

I can’t believe that we’re creating yet another generation of veterens.

oh he must have some horrible flashbacks….these guys and gals didn’t get any kind of counselling or help either, and most of the time came back to no job etc, heart-wrenching

yes good point x

20. Glennie says:

I thought this year was even more poignant when I watched a little bit of the live ceremony from Gallipoli as both New Zealand and more so Australia have lost more men this past year in Afghanistan so the remembering goes on and while I always find Anzac Day moving as one of my grandfathers and an uncle were badly affected by the first World War, I found it very special this year … Special photos of a special puppy. x

I enjoy Anzac Day more and more as the community seems to stop, take a breath and think. Australia’s Anzac celebrations are far more professional, inspiring and memorable than when I was a child.

Barley has changed already.I love the photo of him with the blurred edges.

And…tell me about that grey dress casually hanging on the blue hanger.

yes he has change a lot already!

it’s just a basic grey tank dress for with boots…been waiting there for a while for cooler weather and tights ;-)

22. Stefanie says:

Such a precious photo. I love it.

23. Your puppy is truly adorable! The sweetest thing!
    And I follow your blog, is so precious!
    Have a nice holiday :)

24. Mel says:

Where did you buy your cavoodle from?