Beach Cottage Budget Vintage Inspired Home ware

Tue 24th, Apr, 2012

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

20120424-01-IMG_9823

Well Beach Cottage ladies, G’day to you, today I have some more budget home wares to show you, not coastal or beachy decor really – but fit in here very nicely thank-you-very-much for a beach cottage coastal style decor.

These are the retro-inspired vintage tins that have been in all the boutiques for a few years now…ones where I have oooohed, ahhed, heart has skipped a beat, picked them up and very quickly put them back again…particularly in the Frenchy shop that is near to me, where, cough, a whole heap of things are French via China. Like these.

Beach Cottage blog readers from near or far, these babies come to you my way of that little store lots of people love to have an opinion on.  Aldi.

20120424-02-IMG_9798

Personally I am a secret Aldi stalker….I first started going there when we first came to Australia, mostly because I was pretty surprised that my grocery shopping was, in effect, cut down to only two players, Woolies and Coles…and so when Aldi opened up near us that gave us another place to shop…

In Beach Cottage Land nowadays, a trip to Aldi always results in something interesting, there haven’t been many things that I have been disappointed with to be honest, and if they are vintage-inspired and putty coloured, at super-budget prices, well that’s all the better.

20120424-03-IMG_9808

Now I know that a lot of you reading this are from different places in the world, for those of you that have access to Aldi, I have learnt that the offers go around the world with different products…so if you haven’t seen these yet….you will probs be getting them soon or when the season is right for you (not sure what season a Laundry pail goes in but you know what I mean)

20120424-04-IMG_9813

These were in a few different colours, a pink, a more beige brown and this named ‘grey’, I ummmed and ahhed about whether to get the whole range or not…but in the end thought I could always find a use for all of these in my life…so pleased I did…but for sure I won’t be using them for pegs, laundry powder or soaking undies Winking smile

20120424-03-IMG_9808

The small peg one is in the bathroom for bits and bobs.

20120424-05-IMG_9839

This one is not going anywhere near the laundry room, it has a lid with a suction on it so well be somewhere in the kitchen, possibly to store flour that is not yet opened…

20120424-06-IMG_9802_thumb

And the pail is going to be a bin in the study…I have been looking out for something to replace the white plastic IKEA one for a while…this will hit the mark, but I didn’t think you’d be wanting a picture of a bin Winking smile

20120424-07-IMG_9805_thumb

So that’s it from the beaches for today, hope you enjoyed this budget homewares broadcast?  Gotta say I have something else to show you, it’s white, soft, it’s does not move (as in it’s not Barley) and it makes these look ugly, haha…next time.

See ya round kiddos

20120424-08-IMG_9812

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

64 Responses to “Beach Cottage Budget Vintage Inspired Home ware”

1. Gretchen says:

I love these little buckets. I’ve already googled them and it doesn’t appear that they are anywhere in the U.S. Too bad.

Gretchen

2. Karen says:

Hey Sarah,
    Love that we all enjoy the same things but at reasonable prices. We have a couple of places in NZ where we can get similar items but I do like the colour of yours and the alternative uses for them. Looks great in the bathroom. I’ve actually got my chicken feed in one! Pays to think outside the square. Love metal and wooden handle grips. My daughter who lives in Brisbane has picked up some awesome things at Aldi. Enjoy your day!
    cheers,
    Karen

3. Who doesn’t love a square bucket? Very cute. ❈

4. HRH Sarah says:

Wow, wishing we had an Aldi here in the States… Lurv those “laundry” essentials you picked up, always nice to have a good sized bucket lying around.

5. Selby says:

Gorgeous finds! Yes I too stalk ALDI for affordable homewares:)
    Love that soak bucket it’s fab!!

6. Aldi has such wonderful goodies, I wish that I had one close to me- or hear this ALDI -ONLINE!
    Green with envy!

7. Candy says:

I decided to Google Aldi, not expecting any results, and OMG, there is one only 20 minutes from my house!! I can’t believe it…had NO idea…guess where I’m headed???

8. Liz says:

Ah…more images to make us want to decorate with what we have and buy what we haven’t. Works for me! I love a good excuse to “need” something new.

9. Ellie says:

Ah yes Aldi. The shop you enter to buy bread, meat and veg and you come out with a chainsaw and a bath mat!! :D

10. Sue P says:

After loving & following your website for quite a while which I guess makes me an a admiring ‘lurker’ (not that I love that name), I am finally making the big move to comment! I just love these buckets and so practical too. I wish we had an Aldi here in Western Australia.

well hello Lurker Sue ;-)

welcome from Lurkdom, it’s nice out here in the land of commenting you know :-)

oh I didn’t realise that WA didn’t have Aldi!!! I hope you get Aldi soon, it rocks!

11. Emily says:

How long ago were these in Aldi Sarah? Somehow I totally missed them

they are still in there now in my local store…but I think a lot of them sold out very quickly x

12. Tricia Rose says:

Bins are always a problem, these are great solutions. Do you know the classic insult, “Awww, go soak your head!”? Now you have the equipment to enforce the threat…

Ohh Sarah I have the house one in grey too (I too practically begged hubby when i couldn’t convince him we NEEDED the whole range) but he planted his heels in… He could see the use for the house one but none of the others….Never mind….I like your idea for the laundry one – very clever.

I love Aldi. The fact that when I spend 100+ there I have a full trolley of groceries to feed us for the week compared to the one bag at our local woollies for the same price…. It’s a no brainer… But I was an Aldi shopper from the moment they opened their first store in Marrickville metro… It was previously a jewel(?) store – Well at least thats how I remembered it’s name whenever my mum said she was going going grocery shop… Off we would go with the little grey grandma trolley. My brother and I would fight over who would push the damn thing for the whole 45 – 1hr walk (no car at the time) hehehe… The store had disapeared and all of a sudden it was an Aldi… Mum couldn’t believe her eyes! She saved even more which released some pressure on the ultra tight budget…I continued with the tradition as soon as one opened locally when I moved out of home and it was the first thing I looked for when we moved into our current home… They have been getting better every year…

yours dearly,
    Aldi lover… ;-)

yes I was talking to my neighbour, she says she saves $100 a week minimum shopping there, like you say it is a no-brainer…the one nearest to me just gets better and better – I mostly use a greengrocer for fresh produce, top-ups in the week but can’t beat Aldi for so many things nowadays x

an hour to walk to the shops, wow how times have changed!

• Alice says:

Well technically it should only take the average person 1/2 an hour (or if you are like my hubby 15-20mins….) but because of all the squabling between both my brother and I it used to take a good chunk of time and on the way back it was even slower with a trolley full of groceries! Then no one wanted to push/pull the trolley lol!

You can access the Aldi catalogue (and others) using this site.

• the freckled minx says:

Thanks Alison. So many times I’ve seen something in a catalogue only to find someone has thrown it out – now I can access them online which is great :)

15. Krizza says:

Make sure the space is big enough to comfortably accommodate the number of guests you are expecting, as well as tables for food and gifts.

16. mellie lang says:

Hey Sarah, I’ve just moved to Perth and have been here for a few weeks and have already figured out my budget is Coles & Woolies too but there is no Aldi here :-( those tins are fab for all kinds of things, great find!
    I have been on the look out for nice cheap stuff for the home, which seems quite rare over here, except Target & Ikea that’s all I’ve found so far, any other ideas would be great to hear them :-)
    Loving Barley, our pooch is on his way over in July, can’t wait to snuggle him and so I’m loving your photos :-)

oh I feel your pain Mellie…shopping is the only thing about Australia I don’t like :-) can’t have it all though!

I wish I could offer you a solution, I can’t…it’s bad enough in Sydney xo

thanks for the Barley love x

17. mellie lang says:

Phew I’m glad you said that about shopping in Oz, I feel the same so far.
    You’re right, you can’t everything but everything else here is fab.
    Happy days, off to meet the hubby for lunch soon, that didn’t happen at home xx

oh I hear you mellie, long lazy lunches in the sun…or even short ones lol – I didn’t see Mr Beach Cottage for 14 hours a day in the UK…sometimes I liked that ;-)

yep I can take a knock on shopping for this lifestyle xo

18. Sarah says:

I’m still on the lookout for the white colander you got at Aldi’s. I’ll add the containers to my list now too, although here in the States we may have different things than you do?

yeah I think some of the things are the same but I think it may take a while for them to go around, I can’t remember where I read that but I did! x

19. Neen says:

AAAHHH Aldi, we started shopping there to fit our budget and I now struggle not to use the money we saved on new towels, homewares, kids wooden toys….oooh the joys of Aldi. Picked up that peg bucket but placed it back, silly me, of course it was a vase !!!

20. Tammi says:

Unfortunately we don’t have Aldi here in WA, but I did frequent it whilst living in Brisbane and did love the bargains one could find. Funny how WA seems to miss out on a lot. Our son is coming back from the East soon and I already have him bringing me some Santa Vittoria fruit nectar bottles (they resemble mini milk bottles) and are not available here, wonder if he minds passing by Aldi on his way to the airport ;)
    Love the way you have strayed from the traditional use for these items and made them your own.
    x

Tammi, I think Woolies have those Santa Vittoria botles…I am sure I have seen them in there…

I have bought them in Harris Farm, but I think that is not a WA shop?

x

• Tammi says:

Unfortunately not even our Woolies stock them, never fear, our son has found them in Brisbane and returns home tomorrow :)

21. Sue P says:

Good News Tammi! I have bought the cute little Santa Vittoria fruit nectar bottles here in Perth last year and am currently using them for decoration. They have such a lovely label. I am not sure where I got them, Woolworths I think. They could even be used for sugar as I saw a small bottle being used on a cafe table last week!

22. Anonymous says:

No aldi in nz but I am gouging to France in July so I’ll definitely have a look then. Can’t take much home to nz on the plane though! I soooo miss shopping in Europe!

me too, and Lidl in France…love how in France all stores including discount ones have deli etc…oh and the FRench stationary stores/pound shops…oooh lala…. miss that soooooooooo much…

23. Leigh McGregor says:

Hi Sarah, love these did u get at w mall adli? And if so when? Did they have many? I am at frenchs forest and would love these, do u think it’s worth a trip?. Thanks
    Leigh

well I got them at the mall last weekend and there were lots, but I am not sure now how many will be left…wonder if youi could phone ahead to save a wasted trip? x

24. Jacqui says:

I love these, we have Aldi in the UK but I have never been in our local one as it is off the beaten track so to speak. Anyway, I am now going to have a look around!!!

oh you don’t know what you are missing…some of the Continental stuff is amazing…! and so very cheap x

25. Aisling says:

Yes i love those Santa Vittoria mini juice bottles! They had them in Moore Wilson’s here in nz for a while. I thought it was my secret!!!
    Aisling

26. Rukmini Roy says:

Super Cute! Such darlings…I really want to get my hands on them.

Btw Sarah, since you are a biggie in bloggie, can you please help me out with one thing? There is a website that wants me to review them. How should I take it forward? Should I ask them to make it a sponsored post, or put my link in their bar, or how?

This is the first time a very big home decor portal has asked me to do so but Im clueless :) Will you help?

my advice would be to be very careful and think only of your blog…what will this provide for your blog? often it’s not much…they want you, hence why they approached you :-)
      x

• Rukmini Roy says:

Apparently, they want to sponsor the post and act as a sponsor but they will not even hand me a sample to test! How on earth can I solely see online and write? This would be like a paid review in which im really not interested. I cant fake it..I declined.

I dont know what I did but I did what looked ethical to me.

27. Angie says:

Aldi?! ALDI!!!!!! The Aldi near me is getting raided shortly.

28. jan says:

No Aldi in Adelaide either…noticed Rhonda on Down to Earth chatted recently about saving approx a third on groceries compared to the other two…is the bell jar from there too? I cant find them anywhere here but so cheap in Walmart in the states just too hard to bring back..
    Agree the homewares shopping and food etc is so high here but wages are better than many places so swings and roundabouts..Thanks for blogging for us Sarah….you are a legend xx

no the jar is from IKEA but they don’t do them anymore as far as I know which is such a shame for me cos I want more

yes my neighbour reckons on $100 a month saving…we save loads too though my greengroceries are mostly from another local shop, plus fish from the fishmongers x shame you haven’t got it in Adelaide, I didn’t realise that…I don’t think it will be long…it’s a huge success in Australia apparently x

29. Love the buckets. I started picking up small paint buckets at Lowes( a home improvement store here in the states) a few years back. I love all the uses for them. I’m going to have to look for the square ones when I go in next time. I don’t have an Aldi near me. Thanks for the post!

30. I am a recent Aldi stalker, they have weird stuff sometimes, and it’s kind of fun! I bought my son’s play tool bench there for Christmas:) I will look for those bins, maybe they will come this way.

31. Sarah says:

I love your purchases and couldn’t believe they had come from Aldi. I haven’t seen anything like that for sale in England! I hope they decide to sell some over here too!

32. Liz says:

Wow, had no idea Aldi’s had cool stuff like that. We have moved recently and there is one down the road, but I have never been in. I am definately going to check it out!

33. Life Beach…

[...] f you that have access to Aldi, I have learnt that the offers go around the worl [...]…

34. Way cute! Are you talking about the food store, Aldi? Awesome. We have one so I’ll be looking for those little tote tins. I have never seen home stuff in ours though. They must do it up a little better in Austrailia. French via China. ha! I used to have an opinion on Aldi but if you sort of learn to stay away from certain foods in there, it’s all good.

yep Jami, Aldi! I think actually though that Australia Aldi is much better from others from what I have heard x

35. Ms Miller says:

Great idea – love the grey – wondering if you soaked the label off?? If so with what??