Thu 8th, Mar, 2012

33.4K Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 33.4K Buffer 1 33.4K Flares ×

20120308-01-a101

G’day Beach Cottage girls, well I have a tablescape for you today…I haven’t done a little bit of table foofing for ages and I was recently asked in an interview (more info soon) for my quickest tip to loving your home and adding a coastal, beachy vintage vibe

20120308-02-a83

…that would have to be by dressing up your table  with a few white, vintage and coastal things I think.

20120308-03-a42

Further to that then, I was asked the one thing to invest in for table dressing for a simple Beach Cottage look?

20120308-04-a92

Hmmm, I had to ponder that…you could say I suppose, flowers, or vintage bottles, or white things, or shells…but I think a sphere goes a long way when buying accessories for your home…

…whether it is a shell ball, or a glass float style one, I think these beachy style beauties can plop coastal & interest into any look pretty quickly.

20120308-05-a110

Spheres give interest, depth and shape, whether you are just adding it by the side of your bed to make it a bit nicer or you are doing a full on table…

…also here and there they look great to give a nautical look but they don’t scream out ‘Nautical Themed Decor’ …if you know what I mean…

20120308-06-a74

Here I teamed a couple of them with vintage bottles, some natural materials / wood and a bunch of drugstore flowers

20120308-07-a51

This is one of the best ones I have found…it’s a lovely glass accentuated with a real natural coastal feel with the interlaced natural fibre over it and a bit more unusual than those ‘buoy/float’ style ones (which I love and use too)

…when I saw this one, there was no way it wasn’t coming home with me….

20120308-08-a211

So to create an easy table without too much effort that looks pretty and easy on the old coastal eye, throw together some vintage bottles, add a jug or two, some flowers and then to top it off and add some dimension add a lovely nautical sphere…

Hope you liked the tablescaping eye candy today ladies….this was another thing that came out of the de-lurk post recently…apparently a lot of you Lovely Lurkers like to see what happens when I am left to my own devices for the afternoon – with a table and a few vintage white things to play with…

…today it was nautical sphere love

Be seeing ya

p.s. the sphere here was a recent purchase from Freedom for $19.95

20120308-09-a64

41 Responses to “Beach Cottage Style – The One Coastal Style Item You Need for Beachy Table Decor”

1. Paige says:

Lucky for me…I’ve got shell spheres, knotted rope spheres, and a Japanese fishing float! Guess I better get a pretty table together.

2. Glennie says:

Once again you’ve inspired me!

3. Sharon says:

Simply beautiful!

I have admired your shell sphere for ages now and have even tried to find one to no avail.(I am shameless admitting this to you, I guess). I’ve seen some that are similar that have several colored shells in them, but I want an all white one just like yours.

Everything on your table is lovely and your table look so inviting.

4. Diana says:

NICE!!! Love the whole look! Wish you could come and beachify my house for me in the good ol’ midwest USA!! Or I could come down there for a bit of R&R and some beach observation!! Ahh.. dreams!!!

ahh well Diana, I would love to too…but you can DIY, just slap a bit of white paint and a few shells around lol xo

5. Kirsty says:

I’ve seen those at Freedom recently too! Better go pick one up it looks gorgeous, lovely photos and styling as always Sarah :) xo K

6. Deanne says:

I know coveting is a sin, but I so covet those grey stripy bowls!!!!

7. samantha says:

i love that vintage tray, is it a junk shop find?

8. Cathie says:

A great tablescape ! I lov those striped bowls you have shown a few times – please would you share where you found them ? thanks Cathie

yikes they were gifted to me which is why I haven’t shared…I think there are similar ones in Target…these are from the UK and no branding xo

9. Caz says:

Meant to put that sphere on my list of must have’s when you mentioned it in previous post and after seeing it here again I absolutely must write it in my notebook for purchase next time I’m near freedom. Love the photo looking out from the verandah into the backyard it looks so lush and green xx

I am a big fan of spheres. I have a few of them tucked in and around the house in various sizes made out of various textures/materials… They can almost be considered as sculptures (in my mind anyway). Loving your spheres, I have seen the one with the rope tied around it, wanted to get it but the hubby gave me the you are kidding me right? look so I put it down with a heavy sigh…

How miserable is today?!!!

yes it is wild today…just back from my walk by the sea……..amazing when the sea is like this!

hmmm you need to go back and sneak it in when he is not looking ;-)
      x

11. Lisa says:

I love the sphere and will be getting one when I pass Freedom on my way home from work

12. kate says:

Love your tablescaping and foofing posts, always the most beautiful pictures :)

13. Mummaducka says:

I’m just loving/lusting after the white table, I can see it looks like a new top which is painted, but have you waxed it as well? I want to paint my wood one with turned legs but am unsure as to what to do with the top which has gone sticky, do I just strip it and wax it as raw wood, or do I paint it too and wax it, I am a but worried about paint and ring marks from glasses and mugs. I don’t plan to do anything with he wood chairs, Hhmmmn any suggestions?

mine is just painted with oil based enamel…just prime it first with Zinnser and then if you use oil based you will get a nice finish that you can easily clean/wipe down etc…hope that helps x I never get any ring marks on there an my kiddos abuse it and bash it around as it is our deck hanging out table x

14. Christy says:

I must admit your foofing posts are my favorite posts…altho’ I admit I do love a good walk on the beach…:)

Your tablescape is perfect! A little vintage, a little beachy/coastal vibe, and lots of eye candy! I’m not on the lookout for a fisherman’s float. I have lots of rattan/twine spheres, but now want a glass one. The glass just makes it!

15. Daniele says:

Love the mini daisies Sarah, they look fantastic and really pop in the vintage bottles. I think they are easy to grow so will have to look out for them at the nursery…
    thanks for the wonderful tablescape ideas, as always you have inspired me …Have a lovely thursday afternoon x

16. Kat says:

I must get myself to Freedom!
    Then Hubby can comment on it being a dust collector and how he doesn’t understand how I don’t like clutter, but I then will add pieces like this, that to him seems to be clutter.
    I don’t think he gets it Sarah ;)

17. beautiful table display and photos…thanks for the inspiration!

Love the garden backdrop in the second photo.

19. Rukmini Roy says:

very you and beautiful too. I just painted my fridge with blackboard paint and the result is outstanding. Honestly, Had it not been for your post, I would have been still wondering as to what to do.

20. Anonymous says:

Table scaping is always a good thing to see – more please ; )
    I love the sphere. It reminds me of this old friend we had when I was much, much younger (she was well in her 90′s back then). We called her Dod. She lived sea side in Melbourne, & had all sorts of interesting nick nacks – but the things that I loved so much about going to Dod’s for a visit, where the glass sea spheres she had dotted around the place – and all different sizes! They have always intrigued me; and to this day make me think of Dod, very fondly. I love them!
    And one more request, if I may – more thrifting stories please! Or are you finding, like I am, that it is so hard now to find a real treasure and the bargains seem to be becoming a thing of the past? Do tell!
    Thanks Sarah X

21. Anonymous says:

Love your table decorating posts, always beautiful!
    xx

22. I love your vignette and it is very inspiring for my beachcottage.

23. Jasmine says:

You know what I love about your house and styling? It’s fresh, clean and nautical without being too obvious. It could work anywhere, even far from the beach!

x Jasmine

24. [...] abeachcottage.com via Heidi on [...]

25. Ellen Smith says:

I live the wood box,Sara

26. Ellen Smith says:

The box is such a wonderful idea Sarah. I have a similar box stashed atop a bead board cupboard. I have been looking up at it lately, wondering what other way it can be used. Thanks for sharing your beautiful tablescape!