Beach Cottage has a Guest & A Goat’s Cheese and Spinach Pasta Recipe

Tue 27th, Mar, 2012

149 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 149 Buffer 0 149 Flares ×

20130327-01-veggie-mama-bike

G’day Beach Cottage ladies, wowzas have I got a treat for you today!  Come on in sweeties for some pretty things & even better a recipe that floats my boat.

What would we do without pasta hey?   Indeed when we had bambino number 3 in this house, we ate pasta every night for far too long…one night Mr Beach Cottage came home from work and nearly cried at pasta again…as did his wife and it wasn’t long after that I found the thing that changed my life : the slow cooker / crockpot..

But, nowadays those third-baby-pasta-newborn days are long gone and the Beach Cottage Crew are in love with pasta so it is in my meal plan every single week.

I am always on the hunt though for things to do with pasta, new ways to invent a quick and easy meal with it and so when I came across this recipe at the lovely Stacey’s blog I jumped on it…not only is it super-duper easy, it uses my absolute favourite, goat’s cheese, and as I read through it, it was pretty obvious, pretty quickly, that this would be one of those recipes that you can throw together but actually makes you look like you did oh-so-much more than that…

Plus you can dress it up for supper with friends…you probs know by now, that kinda recipe has my name all over it, right?

20130327-02-baked-spinach-and-feta-penne

And even better Mrs Veggie Mama sports a pink bike, with a basket and white flowers, I mean how could we not have her over here with us for a post?  I knew you would lurve her.

So I asked Mrs Veggie Mama if she would be so kind as to share with us how she makes this super-duper pasta from heaven, I’ll hand her over right away…xo

20130327-01-veggie-mama-bike

Over at Veggie Mama I only have one rule about food – it has to be really, really good. There has to be actual flavour.

As far as everything else goes, I’m pretty relaxed. I’m not overly-obsessed with health given I’m the first person to put cheese on everything, but I do get excited about vegetables and I keep a pretty interesting meal rotation. I love spending time on elaborate meals when I have it to spare, but most of the time I don’t. Sound familiar? (Mrs Beach Cottage : oh lady I hear you!)

I tend to create or make recipes that are easy, only require things you can get at a supermarket or fruit and veg store; and that are delicious. (Mrs Beach Cottage : my philosophy exactly)

Life’s too short for bland food.

I love this pasta dish because it combines so many of these factors and even produces pretty terrific leftovers. I always keep a box of frozen spinach on hand (it goes in eh-veh-ree-thing, I promise), there’s always pasta in the cupboard, I would be promptly divorced if there were no cheese in the house, and it all gets mixed in one dish and thrown in the oven. (Mrs Beach Cottage : errrm excuse me, you musta made this with me in mind!

So easy for weeknights, so easily doubled or tripled, and so easily dolled up into something truly spectacular for dinner guests – pesto ravioli in spinach and garlic cream baked with goat cheese, anyone? (Mrs Beach Cottage : errrm I’ll take four)

Added bonus – you get to eat garlic bread with it.

Best eaten on the deck of your beach cottage, with fun friends, a crisp salad and that non-negotiable glass of ice-cold white wine. Or two. I won’t tell.

20130327-02-baked-spinach-and-feta-penne

Veggie Mama’s Baked Spinach & Feta Penne

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 packet penne pasta, cooked according to packet directions until al dente

1 box frozen spinach, thawed and drained

1 block danish feta

150ml cream

a pinch of salt and pepper

a dash of grated nutmeg

a sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional)

1.5 cups grated tasty cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 180C.

Mix penne with crumbled feta, drained spinach, and cream in a baking dish.

Season to taste with salt, pepper, nutmeg and pepper flakes.

Top all with grated cheese and bake 20 minutes until cooked all the way through.

Place dish under grill/broiler until cheese is and bubbling and golden brown.

Realise you really should have doubled the recipe. It’s that good.

20130327-02-baked-spinach-and-feta-penne

Thanks to Stacey Veggie Mama for being with us today…

See you soon Beach Cottage ladies,

Yes, feel free you can totally ignore the whole recipe thing and leave comments all about the bike, the beautiful pregnant mama, the hair, the shoes, the dress, the basket and the flowers

who wants to talk about pasta anyway?

need another really easy throw it together recipe?  my Beach Cottage Too Easy Chorizo Stew can help you out…haven’t tried it yet?  You should!

oh and this is a classic shove it in and forget it, it tastes like heaven on earth, Beach Cottage Forty Garlic Chicken…I promise it’ll change you life ;-)

20130327-03-Veggie-Mamma

Stacey, aka Veggie Mama is a Vegetarian, mama, crochet lover, vintage collector, tea enthusiast.  Her house looks like your grandma’s. “Mind the china, dear”, “here, I’ve knitted you a lovely blanket” and is happiest when making tea in vintage cups and baking treats from an old, battered cookbook. Your goodies will be served on an antique tablecloth and your spoon will be sterling silver.  She learned to make tea when she was six, knit when she was 10, and crochet when she was 21, thanks to the internet and drawings on about.com to follow.
 Stacey has a big girl’s day job teaching journalism & media law at university and became a vegetarian at 26…she battles every day with the foodie in her that wants to cook and eat everything she sees…she makes veggie dishes so awesome nobody misses the meat …so it seems you can turn a committed carnivore into a lentil-loving freak with a minimum of fuss. Just don’t ask her to love tofu.
 hop over to her blog for a while with a cup of tea, oh and if you can get past the fact that she is stunningly gorgeous, nice too (!) and rides a vintage style pink bike while pregnant then be nice to her and you might get offered a cucumber sandwich while you are there

49 Responses to “Beach Cottage has a Guest & A Goat’s Cheese and Spinach Pasta Recipe”

1. Adorable photos and what a great recipe! I love a good go-to for the crockpot.

2. Nadine says:

What quantity is a box of frozen spinach equivalent to in the garden?

• veggie mama says:

I’d say probably an ice-cream container full. I ate all my garden spinach, so had to use my freezer reserves!

yeah my garden needs replenishing too…although these little packets are actually a fabulous fall-back, I have one in the freezer at all times… x

3. Jos says:

Yummmmmbo – I am so whipping this up tonight as it’ll make ughglug gf pasta actually sing – !!!! Salivating already – can I have it for breakfast?!!!!! As for Stacey – what a honey and love her bike – it is too cool for school! I have true bike lust!

4. Shar Y says:

this sounds like a dream of a meal. can’t wait to try! Veggie mama is just adorable!

5. Caz says:

A whole lotta lovin going on for that pink bike :-) and the recipe sounds delish. I’ve done the vego thing a couple of times in my life but I find it really hard with boys in the house so I end up having to cook two meals and then I sort of give up and eat badly (like baked potato every night and I don’t even like potato that much) Love an easy peasy recipe though and will give this a try.

I hear you Caz, my hubby likes meat in his life lol but I do one or two meatless days, I think that is healthy…so I am always on the lookout for pasta recipes that fill that meat-free thing…this one works and all my kids really enjoyed this…I served with French bread and some veggies & each time I have made it there has been none left and much nodding of heads ;-) x

6. this looks very yummy. i make a veggie pie with a similar base (spinach/cream cheese). will give this a try.
    cheers fiona

7. veggie mama says:

You are so very kind for inviting me on today… and speaking about me in such glowing terms! I’m totally thrilled. I hope your readers get a kick out of this recipe :)

I think Beach Cottage lovelies will adore this recipe!

Thanks to you for guesting here today Stacey, very much appreciate it and look forward to seeing you soon x

8. Melinda says:

Stacey, this might give MY mothers’ Macaroni and Cheese a run for its money! She so very kindly makes it for my family as I cant be bothered faffing around with the white sauce. She freezes it and then lugs it about 5 hours every so to us – what a great Mum !!

HOWEVER I notice there is no faffing in this recipe – love it and will give it a go soon – perfect for a chilly autumn night. Thanks

Thankyou Mrs BC for organizing xx

yes Melinda, I only do no-faff recipes as you know…the beauty of this is that you mix it up in the baking dish that it cooks in and serves from…low mess & washing up x

• Melinda says:

And THAT is just what we like !

have been cleaning the windows while your Blueberry and White Choc muffins have been cooking in the oven – smell good and who knew I even wanted to make them before you blogged them …. oh the power you weild!!

my kids are going to love me extra much

xx

• veggie mama says:

As much as I LOVE white sauce, I hate faffing with it too… sometimes I just make it in the microwave! And sometimes I create dishes where I don’t need it at all. Hope you love this one!

9. Barefoot Liz says:

That looks so incredibly delicious!! (the pasta, of course. giggle.)

10. Michelle says:

Hi Sarah And Veggie Mama

This recipe will definitely be on our menu this week as we are big pasta lovers here and I absolutely love spinach. Always have, ever since I can remember my dad growing it in our vege garden next to the chook pen when I was a kid.

I have to say Sarah that that is an absolutely beautiful photo of Veggie Mama and I love the bike :)

I will be checking out your Chorizo stew Sarah as my hubby loves anything with Chorizos in it.

Have a great day

Michelle

thanks Michelle, you will love both the recipes in your house! chorizo stew is to die for! x

• veggie mama says:

Very kind – thank you! Someone asked today would I marry pasta or rice… pasta any day!

• Michelle says:

Agree with you Stacey, I like rice too but will take pasta over rice any day. Your bike has just made me finally say yep I’ve got to get myself a new one. I’ve been putting it off for ages but now I have bike envy :) hehehe…..will drop some hints to hubby tonight…looking forward to checking out your blog too Stacey.

11. Glennie says:

Lovely photo – and loving that recipe – thanks Veggie Mama and Sarah … x

12. How adorable you are, veggie mama!

This looks like a really yummy and easy (even better) dish. What type of cheese do you like for the grated cheese on top?

Off to check out your blog!
    xoJay

Oh, and Hey Sarah!

13. Kat says:

Oh yum, now I am hungry for that pasta recipe!!
    Not sure it fits with my “lose weight and get in shape for the 40 is the new 30 dress in just under 5 weeks time” though.
    Maybe I could just have a small bowl full? ;)
    How beautiful does she look pregnant and on that bike?!
    Thanks lovely ladies :)

excellent recepie… I have to say what grabbed my eye was the bike… I have been trying to huint one of those in turquoise or aqua blue… No luck so far… Then ofcourse I noticed the gorgeous girl on it and then did I question… Is she preggers?! Oh my she is one of the most grogeous pregnant woman I have seen! Wish I had looked that good when I was cooking my buns in the oven! Beautiful! Once I got over that I looked at the recepie and thought the kids and hubby would love this! Have to find her blog and have a bit of a lurk ;)…

15. lhurvin says:

The Baked Spinach and Feta Penne is very nutritious to a preggy woman. I want to try this recipe for my mom. Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe.

16. Janelle says:

Oh this looks a good one!! And why havent i looked at Staceys blog before now?? She sounds right up my alley. (That looks a tad rude in type but you get what I mean!!?! Thanks ladies! xx

Yummo recipe

18. Christy says:

Thank you for the introduction to Veggie Mama! She is so adorable and the pasta looks delish! I need to print up a metric conversion chart to put next to my computer. I have a list of your recipes I’ve been wanting to make but need to convert to U.S. standard (what are they called?) measurements. How can you go wrong with spinach, pasta and cheese? YUM!

19. Don’t I have the best neighbour in the world?! You know she’s literally over the fence?!

20. Spinach, pasta and chesse. 3 of my favs! Can’t wait to try this recipe. What an adorable young lady on her pink bike. One of my favorite colors. Love the post today!

21. Katherine says:

I could eat bucket loads of feta – yum, that has to be good!!

22. Linda jenkins says:

I made the bake tonight to accommodate the vegetarian in the house and make dinner easy on footy training night. I served it with lamb chops and sausages and the whole meal went down well. Thanks Sarah and veggie mama

23. Tammi says:

This is on tonight’s menu….I haven’t even gotten it in the oven yet and can’t stop picking at it!
    Might have to keep the whole dish to myself :)

24. Shara says:

This looks sooo good. I am currently trying to go dairy free for my breastfed dairy-intolerant baby and recipes like this make it so hard. Just wondering where the goats cheese comes into it? Is Danish feta made from goats milk? I love goats cheese so would love it include it!