Beach Cottage Does Coastal Cans & Vases

Tue 13th, Mar, 2012

7 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 6 Buffer 0 7 Flares ×

Beach Cottage Does Coastal Cans & Vases

G’day Beach Cottage friends, wanna come inside & play Beach Cottages?  All things white, vintage, French with a bit of coastal thrown in for good measure?

“Hey Mrs Beach Cottage, thanks for the lovely dinner you left us in the slow cooker”

“Hey Mr Beach Cottage, no worries, I am a Super-Wife, right?”

“You sure are and I added the extra can of cannellini beans from the shelf ‘cos the boys were starving”

“You did WHAT?!”

“You know those organic beans that have been on the shelf for ages, I chucked those in too”

Beach Cottage Does Coastal Cans & Vases

“Please tell me you didn’t put the can in the re-cycling?”

“Errrrm, what are you talking about”

“THE CAN!  WHERE IS IT?”

“It’s still on the side”

“Whatever you do, do not lose that can”

Beach Cottage Does Coastal Cans & Vases

Yep, these are the sort of conversations that go on, via iPhones in this house when I am away….

I mean you got it straight away didn’t you?

20120313-04-a39

I mean if you saw a can with white styling and branding that just fits, you’d know not to throw the can in the re-cycling wouldn’t you?

You’d know that when I saw this in the supermarket, I had no interest in the beans but loved the can, yes?

You’d know that the can was a special can, right?

Yes you would.

And here it is, the cheapest vase you’ll ever find in the world…with a bit of coastal, white, a starfish, nautical float, french cafe chair, and, a subway tile thrown in for good measure…

Nice?

I think so.

C’mon Lurkers let me know, you wouldn’t have chucked this out….would you?

See you soon…

Beach Cottage Does Coastal Cans & Vases

7 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 6 Buffer 0 7 Flares ×

67 Responses to “Beach Cottage Does Coastal Cans & Vases”

1. Rukmini Roy says:

I’m first in here today! Wow. Im the super lurker.
    Love the tin can vase and of course those beautifully nameless flowers. Hahaha, well, that’s pretty much what happens at this part of the world as well. Eat the tuna and save the can.

2. Christy says:

I love how you left the label on! I would’ve used the can but probably would have removed the label. I love how you think outside the box and it totally works!

3. Fiona says:

That does completely work – I also love that this is the kind of conversation you have with your husband. Me & mine both typically work from home, so he gets bombarded with my random thoughts all day long!

4. magickwrds says:

Had a good chuckle from this post- I totally got it the second you said “recycled”! Beautiful can- lovely still life, too. Thanks for sharing!

5. Jen says:

LOL. Yep. I knew immediately where this was going. I buy books based on their color, not subject. I get canned food w/ the most vintage labels I can find and select wine based on the bottle’s color, shape and/or label.

6. sealaura says:

I’m the same way, I love packaging and bottles.
    BTW Cannelini beans are a good staple to have as you probably know so it looks like a win win situation to me!
    also I have really enjoyed your blogging posts. I like your sensible advice. xoL

7. Melinda says:

Yes to buying can/bottle/jar/box for pretty label or shape – win win ( so long as you actually need the insides…or sometimes maybe not!)

& for Rukmini Roy – those flowers are called Statice. Botanic name Limonium AND the name comes from the Greek word leimon, which means meadow – the natural habitat of the Limonium.

bit of trivia anyway!

Pleased to know that your can didnt make it to the recycle bin, it clearly had a far higher purpose in life!

xx

thanks Melinda, I thought they were Statice but couldn’t remember…I am loving them and they last for ages and dry really nicely which is always a bonus in this climate x

8. Meld says:

Hi Sarah, I have to say, your photography is what sets your blog apart it’s fabulous. It reminds me of canelle et vanelle blog photos with that amazing bright whiteness in each shot. I can never tire of it.

thanks very much, I am enjoying photography right now…I used this can as an excuse to play around with my camera settings x

9. annie says:

Sarah, I remember windows full of tins and years in Italy and Spain that were just spectacular. There are quite a few photos of grocery windows in the albums somewhere. I totally get it!

10. annie says:

That was ‘tins and jars’ (we were only there a few months sadly!)

hahaha I had a sneaking suspicion…. It was confirmed…lol…. I love the idea of using cans for all sorts of things but haven’t got around to getting around to any of them… I do the same thing Sarah! Only with the glass bottles…. I was eyeing a bottle of truffle oil… Husband raised his eye brow and spoke silently with his eyes…lol Needless to say I am still eyeing the bottle… He is right of course… But common sense does not always have to prevail right?

no it doesn’t Alice

I did the same thing today…bought a bottle with some strange oil in it…but I love the bottle shape and will paint it white xo

12. Janelle says:

Beans??? Oh thats whats in that lovely vase is it??!!!? And those subway tiles are making a gorgeous background arent they?! xx

13. when i was a kindergarten we made vases for mother’s day using glass dish soap bottles ( horrors! entrusting wee ones with glass on a big bus trip home LOL). anyhow when my dad came home from the air force, he saw that empty bottle with a flower decal and thoughfully threw it away for my mom. i was so annoyed because it was my first gift made by me for my mom. after all i had to paste the flower and then transport it safely home and then WAIT until the proper day to give it to her. THEN my dad pitches it in the trash. so your lovely vase being recycled was just a good laugh. i’m glad you were able to recover it and put the lovely statice where it belongs. you should let hubby know in these austere times you’re saving him money….thanks for the giggle.
    a new non lurker,

janner nanner

14. Emma says:

That post was hilarious, thanks for the cheer Sarah! Maybe it was especially funny as I currently have a stash of cans ‘hidden’ which I just can’t bear to throw out. Am sure they will work for tablescaping one day…

oh yes of course they will Emma…ahem I have a stash too….how many washed out Italian tomato cans does a girl need ;-)

15. the freckled minx says:

Sorry Sarah – love ya but didn’t get this one. I would have chucked it in the re-cycling unless I was doing a photoshoot for a cook book…..B:) x

haha you guessed my secret! wow very intuitive!

x

• the freckled minx says:

I’m just out of that photographic zone. My elderly Mum passed away last year and I’ve published a cook book “Mins Kitchen” of our favourite family recipes, photos and stories dedicated to the way she looked after our family so lovingly. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

16. That is ABSOLUTELY something I would do!
    I LoVe that you admit it!!!
    Have a great day……
    ……………………………………………………………………………….
    TM xx

17. Cas says:

Lol Sarah! Yep, I know exactly what you mean….my local supermarket stocks this lovely range of jams that I often buy, pffft, not for the jam though! And my husband has been known to come home from a trip to the shops and say “look what I bought for you, honey” and proudly hold out some ordinary item or other in rather impressive packaging. He’s an observant one, that one! Have a good afternoon :)
    Cas x

18. Caz says:

I was on same wave length immediately ;-)

19. neen says:

Bottles and jars for me…….I have 10 or so jam jars in the car ready for opshop today IF……… I can part with them. (Pssst…..shshsh I kept 6 in my just-in-case stash in cupboard ). LUUUURVVVE a nice jam jar sooooooo many uses, mainly as a vase seeing as I don’t preserve/sauce anything. LOL about hubby, I am often found head-down bum-up in our recycling bin !!!!!

20. Stacey says:

Hi Sarah,
    Empty cans and jars!! Now how did they miss out on the bcdeclutter?? Old habits die hard huh = ) Must admit it works though!
    S xo

21. Tammi says:

There is no way that can would have ended up in the recycling bin. Glad to hear I am not the only one who buys food based on how pretty the packaging is….I am notorious for doing it with jars and bottles :)

x

I love finding new ones that are pretty Tammi, it’s like a bonus that you get product inside it too! x

22. Daniele says:

Thank goodness I am not alone in this, I have several cans of italian tinned diced tomatoes – very pretty label on it, will have to use these in a very big crockpot cook up so that i can use the darn things.
    I also buy wine bottles based on the pretty lables and the hue of the glass, somehow i dont seem to have trouble empyting the contents of these !! :)

yep I buy wine, vinegar, oil bottles and yesterday fruit juice bottles…all need emptying! xoxo

Poor husbands and partners. Just when they think they’ve done something helpful and straight forward we throw them into confusion by freaking out about such things as a can in the recycling. Poor things. Keeps them on their toes, doesn’t it?…and a little bit scared. :)

24. minnie says:

Hi sarah, Knowing how much you love australia, I would have though you would buy australian products as much as possible. As an honorary australian citizen you should try to be more careful in pretending you are australian. thats the thing about new migrants, they think they can be australian but really don’t know what it is to be australian.

G’day Minnie, thanks so much for your feedback, I am so pleased you took the time to leave a new migrant like me some crucial advice on being ‘Australian’.

Oh I have so much to learn about being an Australian, it didn’t say in the hand book or when I took the oath about buying canned products :-)

Cheers, have a beautiful day!

25. Julie Johnson says:

I’ve done that many times. Bought the can for the label, and no, not in a million years would I have thrown out a perfectly good “vase”

26. Debi McBroom says:

Sarah,

Your website is amazing. I do hope you will publish a book of your decorating ideas soon. Your style reminds me of Jane Cumberbatch’s style, and she is my favorite designer! Your website is so gorgeous that I keep it up on my computer all the time and dream of having a beach cottage someday. I found your site totally by accident. I just googled “beach cottage” because those are the happiest words I know, and up popped your site. I am smitten. Thank-you for making me smile every time I look at your photographs. You are a true kindred spirit!

All the best,

Debi McBroom

27. Robynne says:

It’s a very nice can Sarah…Robx

28. Glennie says:

Whoa Minnie – hope that comment’s made in jest ……………..
    I have to fight to get cans and bottles out of the recycling!
    Loving this can …. x

29. Love that idea! Such a cute can…I don’t know if they have those around here, but I’m going to start looking.

30. minnie says:

Hi sarah,
    sometimes when you read back a comment it always comes across the wrong way. Sorry, for the rawness of what I was trying to say, my family are from Griffith and are struggling now with everything that they do, I just am so protective of what is the very best of our produce from the beautiful and wonderful country that I love and that you love. Love your website as you do portray all the beauty of the coastal side of it.

Silly Minnie

hey no worries, thanks for taking the time to explain what you meant…

I hope that Australia stays as wonderful as it is now

31. I’m not sure what I’d do with the bean can, but I’d hold onto the glass float for dear life! I’ve been collecting them for a couple of years, and I just love them :-) I probaly feel about glass floats the way you feel about your bean can :-) But I will say that if my hubby chucked something that was a treasure for me and garbage for him, somebody would be in big trouble!

It’s been a while since I was by for a visit, there are so many new things here to see! I love your blog design and your photography they t just make me go aaaahhhhhh :-)

32. christie says:

Thank you for the laugh of the day. That is totally something I would do! I have a jar of pesto in the cabinet that I never opened because it was so pretty. The top of the jar is wrapped in paper with a stamped wax seal. and twine. I realized the other day that the pesto has passed the “best by” date. Oh well, it is still pretty.

33. Mandy says:

Too pretty for the trash! Great save.

34. Jasmine says:

I’m a sucker for cute product packaging! The blues of that tin match the hues of your house perfectly :)

x Jasmine