Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity

Mon 26th, Mar, 2012

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity

Happy Monday Beach Cottage blog ladies, how are you after the weekend, ready for a bathroom renovation picture with a little coastal vintage beachy twist?  I hope so!

So this is the bathroom vanity, it’s not finished yet because the mirror is not on yet and the knobs you see on there won’t be staying…but right now I haven’t found any that I like any better…

Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity

I do actually have a round vintage pie crust mirror also that I think I might prefer to go above, or at least somewhere in here…

Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity

…I am kidding myself that this room will stay tidy and nice like this, and accessorised all beautifully with coastal beach decor because, in reality it’s taking on the Beach Cottage Crew in full swing…this is one busy family and one busy working Family Bathroom…but people I can try, right? (she says as she passes the bathroom and sees not one but three pairs of revolting soccer socks on said bathroom floor)

…the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree they say meaning this room is getting a heap of use and is certainly true of my younger kiddos with both of them spending a long time in the bath every night and the littlest member of the Beach Cottage Crew taking to sitting up in the tub reading books…no drops so far either…

20120326-05-a59 Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity

I have had quite a few questions about cleaning this (indeed the whole bathroom actually)…so far it’s been pretty easy but I am giving it a swipe everyday and I think that makes a real difference in cleaning…if you can do basics regularly everything is easier…

Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity

The one thing that all the tradies who came here and both the people who came here regarding the glass shower screen said to me was not to use any of the products you see advertised for bathrooms but to just use a simple cleaner, something like washing up liquid, if you are in England aka Fairy Liquid…

…I have been doing that, using natural cleaning ingredients (tried lemon & vinegar concoctions) and also just a regular all-purpose spray that is gentle and nothing fancy…so far so good…however I must say I don’t think I can pass a toilet without throwing bleach down it…so I am still doing that…

Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity
What do you think?  Do you like the marble top?

I am liking it all a whole lot…

See you soon then lovelies, oh I have a lovely post for you tomorrow

and p.s. if you haven’t subscribed to my newsletter yet, see up there on the top right, stick your email in there so you don’t miss a thing….x

Vanity :  Recollections    Tap :  Recollections  Shaving Brush :  Shave Shack   Blue Vintage Style Glass : The KMart

Vintage Milkshake Cup : Thrifted

Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 1 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

61 Responses to “Beach Cottage Coastal Bathroom Renovation ~ Vanity”

1. Love how the subway tile has a bevel edge. I have subway tile in my shower and it doesn’t have that. I like how it adds texture to a solid white surface. Now I kinda wish I had your tile!Lol. PS-sweet white carrera marble top! Always classic

yeas I was advised against the bevel edge by the tile company and the tiler…but I really wanted it and so pleased with the depth and light changes it adds…

x

2. Ellie says:

WOW! You’ve done it again. Yes sir, I likee all your new achievements in the bathroom. Well done.

3. Love that cabinet and the top! That is so…you Sarah! Vinegar and lemon work wonders, that’s usually in my cleaning bucket as well. Have a great Monday as it is still Sunday her in the states. Can’t believe I’m the second one to comment.

4. Make that the third one!

5. LUV it, Sarah! The marble looks so cool, clean, and chic! And that sweet beachy green chair is just perfect in there! :)

xoxo laurie

6. Once more, I’m admiring your bathroom… dreaming of my own future bathroom, ok, not a near future, but it’s good to have dreams… I know it’s not what the post is really about, but I adore the chair next to your vanity! You have inspired me so much that I thought maybe I could pass a little tip on to you. White vinegar destroys as many bacterias as bleach but doesn’t destroy the ecosystm… as you live next to the sea as I do I thought it might convince you… Once in a while I put some sodium bocarbonate in the toilet, add white vinegar and then boiling water (not too much vinegar because it becomes very “foamy”!!!). It’s clean as new!

I will take you up on it and try it out for a few weeks…I must say I don’t like using the bleach but I have tried heaps of different things and never found anything that works…actually a few years ago I swapped out every other bleach use for a non-chemical alternative…so I’ll up that

I waited long enough for this bathroom…but funny really I still really miss my old bathroom…I got quite attached to that sunken blue tub xo

7. Lesa says:

Hi Sarah –
    LOVE your gorgeous new bath, what a great mix of coastal, vintage, and timeless finishes. I just wanted to share a tip for cleaning the shower glass … because you know us Beach Cottage girls don’t want to clean all the time! Here in Florida we have a product on the market called RainX. It’s made for windshields on cars and makes the rain water bead up and roll off. I’m sure you have something similar (or the same) there. Use the RainX on the shower enclosure and your won’t have to worry about water spots. But keep in mind that you need to use the RainX before there are spots as it’s not a “cleaner” per se. One application should last months and make cleanup even easier. Also, check out the dollar store for one of those cheap squigies. I keep one of those in the shower to clean the water off the tile and the glass. Two seconds of squigie-ing and lots less elbow grease later!

8. Susan says:

I like it! If I remember correctly, you have two bathrooms – one for the children, and one off your master bedroom? Is this the children’s one, or the adult one? Just curious where you keep things like toothbrushes, hairbrushes, hairdryers, etc? To me, that’s the hardest part about keeping a vanity looking tidy – I have crocks to wrangle the toothbrushes and hair brushes, and I put my hair dryer in the cupboard underneath the vanity, but have a hard time convincing my husband to put away his shaving paraphernalia, etc…

this is the Family bathroom…mainly used by the Beach Cottage Crew but by me in the evenings for the bath…

all the toiletries are in the drawers plus shelving with baskets will be on the side for extra supplies etc…toothbrushes in a vintage glass

I don’t dry my hair in the bathroom (a strange English thing – in England you don’t have electrical sockets/appliances in the bathroom so my hairdryer and all that stuff lives in my bedroom as does Miss BC’s)

x

• Susan says:

I remember that now (about the lack of outlets in English bathrooms) from when I visited my brother in England a few years back. I’d never be able to dry my hair in my bedroom – I don’t have mirrors in any other room except my bathrooms :)

9. Deanne says:

Your bathroom looks fabulous!!!!
    I love using the Marta Stewart bathroom cleaner-its basically bi-carb, dishwashing liquid, water and essential oil of your choice- works really well on any yucky grimy areas!

10. Ann Rachel says:

love it! so clean and fresh. i just repainted my bathroom, and was going to go white with green sea-glass, but the pale blue sea signs that i’m making right now are calling to me, and some might end up in there.

11. Glennie says:

Absolutely gorgeous xx

12. beautiful! I really love the vanity and marble.

13. Poppy says:

Still Sunday here in the UK as well, the end of a fantabulous weekend of wonderous weather; apparently some places were going to be hotter than Bondi Beach………….
    Love the chiar too. The overall whiteness of the bathroom makes it appear clean and shiny – as I am sure it is. Great taps and brilliant tiles.

14. Caz says:

I love the vanity and have looked at this exact one dreaming that maybe just maybe I will get a mini makeover in my bathroom one day, your taps are seriously gorgeous as well. On keeping bathrooms clean I agree it needs a little work each day but funnily when hubbie is away for work my bathroom does stay clean!!!! I don’t like to use chemicals to clean so I use combinations of vinegar/lavender oil mixed with water and bicarb to do most cleaning jobs although I do use toilet cleaner.

well Caz I can highly recommend it…I am so glad we went for this rather than trying to do it with an old dresser that I have in the garage…this just fits nicely in with us…

hmmm I have to say my hubbie is pretty tidy so I don’t have much to complain about…it’s the other boys in the house lol x

15. cherrie says:

I love it all very much. It is good to see a bathroom that is not stock standard and has imagination thrown in to make it different to everyone elses. Cherrie

thanks Cherrie, it wasn’t my intention to make it different but looking around at bathrooms when I was trying to get inspiration for this I found a lot of the same stuff everywhere! x

16. Lorraine says:

If you use liquid body wash rather than soap in the shower you will find the screen stays cleaner and is also easier to clean. I think it has something to do with the fatty ingredient they used in soap to make it into a bar form leaves those spots on the glass. As for those products you can coat the glass with that makes the water bead, if you do it yourself it takes a fair bit of effort and if you get someone in to do they tend to be quite costly.

yeah someone told me that years ago in England so only liquid in the shower…I also used to only have liquid in the bath too…but I do love old fashioned soap ….however in this bath it’s actually leaving quite a scum at the top…which I am not liking so I might have to go to liquid on the bath too

thanks for stopping by Lorraine x

17. Hi Sarah,
    It looks magic! I LoVe it all……
    A combo of dishwashing liquid & vinegar works a treat on the glass……
    Tania Maree xx

18. Can I come over and just sit in awe of what you’ve done to the bathroom. Looks fab! Great job.

my pleasure, I sat on that chair and had a coffee the other day looking at my bath…that’s how sad I am xo

19. Debbie Panton says:

looks great… love that counter top… Would love to have something like that.

20. Tracey says:

love it! I have been in love with your tiles ever since I first stumbled upon your blog. The vanity works in very nicely.

21. le_third says:

I am loving loving loving the marble top – it really is understated elegance at its best – well done you !! BTW re puppies I see you with a dalmatian … the white and black spots would look fab in your home … downside they do shed a wee bit – mainly the white – our girl does anyway …. many hugs le xox

22. the freckled minx says:

Bewtiful!

23. Janelle says:

Gorgeous!! And the pie crust mirror would be beautiful in there! Tell me, does mr bc actually use the shaving brush or does it just hang around for its good looks??!!? I love them, just adding one to my shop list now. And my husband will not be touching it!! xx

Now Sarah I am not the jealous type… To be honest I don’t even know what it feels like to be jealous… well I am wondering as I look at your vanity weather this is what jealousy feels like hee…heee… It is gorgoeus… I would never had thought of marble in the bathroom …It looks fantastic… You know even the floors look really really good… That chair is gorgeous… Yes I never buy those wham bang thank you ma’am type of cleaning products… I stick to lavender spray and bleach (I think the toilet needs it too) and it has worked for me all these years…The pie crust mirror is exactly what I was thinking of for that space! lol I love the knobs I think they fit in well…They are the ones we have picked out for our bathroom (not bought…picked out..waiting for some dosh to roll in any day and our kitchen/diner and laundry renovations will begin! yeah!)

Oh yes and I think that it is so sweet that your little one reads in the bath tub..lol Too sweet and just goes to show how much we influence our kids with our own everyday rituals (note to slef – must curb the swearing as my little Mr. is now begining to form words on those little lips of his)…hee…hee.. Loving your bathroom!

25. Kat says:

I think Sarah, that you have a magic touch when it comes to any decorating.
    Job well done yet again and very you!! :)
    I love the chair in there, the freshness of all white and that beautiful blue bottle.
    Whats that you say?! *The Kmart*, yet again? Wowee, seriously got to get myself to Kmart and soon!
    I second that doing a regular clean in the bathroom to keep it looking fresh.
    We have six of us using one bathroom, which also houses the toilet (hate that!) and the washing machine, shower (above the bath.)
    It is old and shabby and I can’t wait to rip it all out and do a new one, plus ensuite one day.
    Then I will feel thoroughly spoilt!
    Until then I shall gaze at yours and live vicariously through you.
    Enjoy!
    Ps I know you have been waiting a long time for your new bathroom too, so I say soak it all up and am very pleased for you.

yes it was worth the wait Kat! I know what you mean about living with an old and shabby one…in a way that makes it all the sweeter though x

26. Michelle says:

Hi Sarah,

love the bathroom and can’t wait to see it when the mirror is up. I have to ask you where you got the chair from, just love it.

A good cleaning paste that is natural and gentle is bi-carb and vinegar. Sprinkle bi-carb over area then add vinegar and let it fizz then clean with chux cloth. I love cleaning this way it works on everything and cost is minimal and everything comes up sparkling.

Have a great day Sarah and I look forward to seeing the mirror.

Michelle

27. Jasmine says:

Love it! I love the pale grey and how it contrasts with the white tiles. I’m hoping for a bench top like that in both my bathroom and kitchen one day.

If you’re looking for a nature safe drain cleaner, this link has a great one: http://tidymom.net/2011/unclog-drain-with-baking-soda/ I’m a huge fan of not having to use things like Draino.

x Jasmine

28. Tammi says:

An absolute stunner of a bathroom…thumbs up from me ;)

x

29. Lark says:

Love the vanity! The marble is beautiful and so is the towel rack. But, I’m still admiring to bathtub the most! I don’t blame the kiddos for wanting to get some time in there…

30. Luv, luv, love the marble. My dream is a kitchen with that one day. Congrats on a beautiful room. Fiona

31. jennifer says:

Great Job as always Sarah! It came out perfect .
    I use a cheap multipurpose cleaner from Lidl , which leaves the whole house smelling of lavander :)

32. jody says:

Hey there, i am not sure if you read comments later than your post, but your bathroom is just lovely… and i agree, a bit of wiping it down a day will be just perfect!

I read all my comments! thanks so much for taking the time to leave me one Jody ….cheers for the bathroom love

Thanks for the small bathroom reveal.

I have tried the save the dolphin cleaning products, both commercial and homemade. I am a bit of a bleach girl too. I really have been so brainwashed by commercial products but I use so few compared to the average household. I have been getting into eucalyptus oil and loving it for cleaning.

I texted my builder a week ago and asked for our ensuite quote, no hurry, but it has been 5 weeks!! I resigned from my current job – oooh, that’s a story. But being 50 is the new 40 I had the confidence to move on :) – and finish tomorrow so my ensuite will be motivation to get back to work after I enjoy some time out with my first grandchild born last week.

34. Robynne says:

I love the vanity Sarah, the grey marble is lovely and I think the drawers are a great idea…especially with kids. Somehow I think kids are more likely to just pull open a drawer than open a cupboard to drop/slide/shove hair gel/toothpaste etc. On the cleaning…back home in Oz I invested in some of the Enjo products…and they have a wonderful mitt that should only be used with water to clean glass windows or shower screens. It probably was not that effective on my old glass shower screen because of the years of me using all the harsh products which ultimately cause pitting in the shower glass…but if used on new glass, it would be very effective. Enjo promotes the use of only water or a concentrated lemon product for the toilets…but like you, I could never clean a toilet without pouring some bleach down it! Enjoy your new bathroom and that bath!! Robx

35. Rukmini Roy says:

Looks like I’ve missed a lot in here…blame them darn press releases. It’s looking fabulous Sarah. I love the marble top. Is it marble or granite?

36. Georgia says:

I love the vanity in your bathroom Sarah. In fact, I love the entire room. We are just about to tile a new bathroom in our studio and I wanted it to have the same feel as the house, which is an old timber cottage not far from the beach. Did you make the vanity or did you buy it. It has changed my mind on what I would like for us. If you can help that would be great. Not sure if you read your posts. cheers, Georgia

Hi Georgia

We bought it because it was easier, but now we are having problems with some of it so I wouldn’t like to recommend.
      xx

37. Lizzie says:

Love this bathroom!! I am in the process of rebuilding my home which is a 1900 beach bungalow. Where did you purchase that lovely vanity, if you don’t mind me asking!