Beach Cottage New Coastal Blue Beach Decor Front Door

Fri 6th, Jan, 2012

146 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 22 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 123 Buffer 0 146 Flares ×

20120106-01-beach-cottage-new-front-door-coastal-blue

G’day Beach Cottage friends.

We have a painted front door.

In coastal blue.

here it is…. it’s not all finished on the new front deck…to be honest life and other stuff took over… the trim needs work …there is a reason we are waiting on that, I won’t bore you with it…and I have my eye on a very coastal lantern too, that might have to wait ’til my birthday…for now this is how it looks…

…the blue and the door?

I went for Number 10 Deluxe Days by Dulux (no I don’t like that name)

20120106-02-IMG_3493

I think it has beach decor / coastal living / nautical cottage / seaside style about all over it…

20120106-03-IMG_3525 20120106-04-IMG_35301

You likey?

Or you no likey?

I will tell you what I think once I have heard from you.

20120106-05-IMG_38051

p.s. here’s what happens on our new front deck…just what we were planning to happen out here

20120106-06-IMG_3784

134 Responses to “Beach Cottage New Coastal Blue Beach Decor Front Door”

1. Oh! So very welcoming. We have our new front door in but I have to wait for the snow to be gone before I can do anything to the rest. Can’t wait to finish getting ideas from your primping :-)

2. Oh my, Sarah, it’s gorgeous!!

3. silvia says:

A so beautiful color, absolutely my fave!
    Here where I live it’s not possible to change the front door color…
    Have a good new year!
    Silvia

4. Emma Tandy says:

Love it, Wish I was sitting out there, very windy and wet here in the UK I think you went with just the right colour

5. Lucy B says:

When you said blue, I didn’t think I would likey, but I definitely do likey! Good choice Mrs BC xx

6. I think it is a very beach cottage color. That blue set against the white of the house sets a clam feel for the cottage. Because of the warmness of that particular you feel the cottage is someplace warm and inviting.

7. Alison Gibbs says:

What a difference it makes. I thought I liked it with the paint wash effect over the primer but this is just the PERFECT colour choice.

8. Caz says:

Gorgeous – love it :-)

9. I love number 10, I think it looks perfect – welcoming, cottagey, coastal, fresh and summery all at once! xo K

10. Amanda says:

Sarah, it is G~O~R~G~E~O~U~S !!!!…

Love all the extra beach theme accessories – especially love Mr BC , the book and the beer!

11. Sophie says:

I love it ! Good choice !

12. Jen says:

From experience I know that anytime you paint something significant it’s a bit of a shock whether you love it or not, it takes adjusting. But that said, and having never seen a wide shot of the house with the door, just the porch and the door I have to say I totally LOVE it! :-) In my imagination I think it makes the whole house feel like a big breath of sea air. And doesn’t it go with that nickel knob so well? Yes, yes it does. :-)

• Jen says:

PS -I’m so glad you have a beach house so I can live vicariously through you! It’s pretty much the next best thing. ❈

13. Lauren Lear says:

I like the color but I would have maybe de-stressed it a little or maybe put a light white wash over the blue. Just my thoughts……

14. Annie says:

I like the color. I also like how high the doornob is. :)

15. le says:

it’s fab to say the very least – it was the number I choose back in the other post – great minds :) I do hope you like it though ….it reaaly is very fresh and lovely and reminds me a wee bit of the greek isles – best le

16. lucy says:

completely lovely!!

17. Kathleen says:

I love it! I did the same thing to the inside of my front door.

18. just simply gorgeous! I love the color it’s so soft and serene!

19. Jaime says:

Sarah that was my choice! It’s fresh and bright and still beachy, just the way we like it. Can’t wait to see that lantern addition someday.

20. pam in oregon says:

It’s the perfect color: not too blue, not too bright, but just right! It says beachy and cottage-y to me. Nice choice!

21. Giulia says:

My fave colour. Really lovely. I wish that colour would go with yellow brick ;), cause I’d paint my door blue as well – although right now with frigid Canadian weather it might look a tad icy…but for the lovely beach cottage it’s amazing. Good choice.

22. B says:

Love it!!!!! I really like the sea shell chime you hang too….I think I need to make one of those out of my extra seashells…Have a Super Day!

23. Anna Melissa says:

I absolutely love this! That colour is beautiful. I like a mile away from the sea, but high up on a huge cliff. I’m so jealous I’d love to make a house look like the home you have made. x

24. Barefoot Liz says:

Oh, I LOVE it! It looks even prettier than the color swatch!

25. Rasonda says:

Oh its beautiful!!! It literally made me gasp!!!

26. Glansbilleder says:

I really like the color.

I didn’t get to reply on the post with all the different color variants, but I would have “voted” for one of the more aqua colors.
    Now that I see the painted door, I see why you picked a light blue.

27. chelley says:

I would have imagined a darker blue for the door but I actually really like it. It is fresh and very welcoming.

28. cassie says:

oh it’s gorgeous!!! i love the color!

29. kari says:

I absolutely HONESTLY LOVE IT!!!! Super inviting & relaxing :)

30. Shar Y says:

Well, I do love it and it’s almost the same color as my door, mine is slightly darker, but the tones are very similar. At least that is the impression I get from my monitor. My paint is Sherwin Williams.

31. cherrie says:

Wow! That is perfect. Great choice. Cherrie

32. I LOVE LOVE LOVE love love!

LOVE!

AND it’s the colour I chose, yipee!

I adore your home xx

33. Laura says:

I think it looks fab! The bright skies of Sydney can definitely carry the colour. There are a lot of houses where we are that are this colour and other pastels. I always think they look the colour of salt water taffy and, for me, they just say ‘Shore Living’… Unfortunatly, ours is the only white house on the block. Seeing your door makes me want to inject a little colour into this little old place. Lx

34. peta says:

yellow, meh.

this blue? wow. looks awesome.

you should hang a ‘lobster pot’ lamp out there on your front porch.

still coveting some adirondacks …….

35. Candy says:

Ooohhh, that was my choice and very close to the ‘Artisian Well’ paint color on my door!! Love it on mine and it looks perfect Beach Cottage divine on yours!! I am as excited for you as I am for me…lol!!!

36. Cheryl S. says:

PERFECT!! I love the color… and the shell decor! The “after deck photo” is great, so relaxing! That must be IMPORTED beer for you?!! :)

37. I is all about colour, and you are absolutely right, Coastal blue is perfect for your beach House, it is so serene and it certainly is a bit of blue sky at your door. Who can ask for anything more. Thanks for your beachy blog, I live in Montreal and winter is white and far from being beachy, so when I read you, I feel the sand between my toes and the smell of the sea, it is lovely…

Have a marvelous New Year, ful of Joy, Happiness and lovely posts for us to read and see.

decogirlmonreal

38. Mummaducka says:

Wow , you dont waste any time, did you paint it while it was still hanging? I want to do my yucky stained brown doors white, but don’t want to take them off!
    I think its great, are you wishing it was darker, paler or white? I just love your little vignettes at the front door. That lantern is lovely and I hope you joined in with a rest and beverage.

39. sonia lidbury says:

Just stunning Sarah!

40. Wendy says:

Sarah,

I do believe we have a tremendous amount of things in common. Looking at the pics of your husband, I can tell even your husband looks like the same kinda guy as mine. I am a photography enthusiast. We have 3 kids and are in the process of renovating our beach cottage on the water in Perdido Key, FL. Our two sets of front French doors were just removed today to be stained and distressed!!! I cannot WAIT to see them in a couple of days when they’re done! The color I have most prominently throughout my house is the color you have painted your front door. And lastly, the pic of your husband reading a Vince Flynn book (love his books!) and drinking a Dos Equis sealed it. Yes, we have tons in common. I guess that’s why I love your blog so much.

41. Ellie says:

Love it! The perfect blue for you!!

42. Julie says:

Looks great! I think it’s perfect.

43. Neen says:

Help Sarah, I’ve just made Dump and Go Chocolate tart and have ooooooodles of choc mix left over. Despite the protests of 12y/o claiming it to be part of the lick-pan-spoon tradition, I have put it into a greaseproof lined dish. What size tart shell do you use? Door colour is fresh and welcoming ( but my fave was deep Navy ). Neen

hmmm I am not sure, I don’t have any more tart shells to go and look, there’s normally a small bit leftover with mine too

• Neen says:

Ah ha I think I have worked out the runny excess choccy mix, I used thickened cream not DOUBLE cream!! It tastes amazing though !!! Thanks, arvo tea at friends house was decadent.

44. Tammi says:

Sarah, me likely very much…truly…and blue is not a colour I am normally drawn to, I think though, and don’t shoot me here, that I envisioned something a lot different for the BC :)
    Will be interesting to see whether you keep it.

xx

45. suzanne says:

Sarah, you have a talent most of us wish would come to our heads, the colour is beautiful. I am so glad you have come back to posting your decorating skills which is how you started your blogging, I have put so many of my friends onto your site to see how you put things together. I wait each new blog to see more painting, reshushing of rooms, and vintage collecting, I love your blog so keep sharing your talent, there are no other websites like yours. I would be happy to hear your comment. Maybe less blogging on fashion, and more on white painting and vintage finds. I Love It.

An avid blog admirer.

Suzanne

thanks for the feedback Suzanne..

my blogging journey will continue to move & sway with me and what interests me…and that very much includes what I wear (not fashion!) and recipes at the moment:-) …I have always said that this blog will reflect me and my journey…

plus I have watched too many other blogs in this niche either go ‘diva’ or I know from experience that what they are doing is very much formulated for blog content…and their pace of working is neither real-life or reasonable…real people do not makever 6 items of furniture a week ;-) I am not interested or happy to do that

in the next few months you’ll see the continuing renovations on our cottage and more table decorating…oh and more vintage furniture, i have something planned on that front…

our summer house is being painted right now plus the bathroom about to be ripped out…so there’s a lot going on here.

Cheers

• Susan says:

Sarah – I’m glad you posted this – as much as I love blogging, I fear that I will never get many followers, because in addition to blogging, I work full time, go to school part time, manage a Destination Imagination team for my son, and raise a family. I don’t want to just be putting up blog posts for the sake of blogging, and grabbing images online. I want my blogging journey to be about me, not what everyone else is doing; seeing your blog, and the fact that all your pictures seem to be your own, has inspired me to focus on having content that is uniquely mine, not a mishmash of imagines that I happen to like.

I’m seriously thinking about buying your blogging e-course, but all my spare $ is going into tuition at the moment (I refuse to get student loans, and at $2,000 a class for college, it doesn’t leave a lot of room for “extras”!). I have to budget my money very carefully! Still, I think $29 will be a worthwhile purchase – maybe next month!

thanks Susan…working full time and blogging is not easy unless the spare time you have is your very own free time

I sent you a gift in your email….

x

46. barbara woods says:

it really looks good

47. Susan says:

I likey, Sarah! Good choice! It makes me want to paint my door!

I haven’t seen many pictures of the outside of your house in it’s entirety – have you ever shown any? What kind of siding is your house made of?

48. Tricia Rose says:

It looks wonderful – and I like the way Mr BCs toes are curling with the effort of getting it just right!

49. diane says:

i love it !!! but then again, i live in ” the aquahouse ” so of course i would : ))
    you get extra credit for selecting the color even though the name did not suit you or it , oh dear, how i know
    the struggle that can be yikes !! but better to have a great shade of the sea than to have the wrong shade of
    blue, you know like a country blue,
    that’s named ” sea glass ” .when indeed there’s not “sea ” about it , right ?!

I likey very much Sarah! It looks very coastal…

Trying to decide what white to use on our trimmings next…Its so weird thinking what shade of white, usually it’s what shade of blue lol…. I don’t know what to do for the doors, thinking of getting some proper old federation type door and getting a natural rustic /weathered wood look to it… Or should I just stick to a bright white? Decisions! lol…. I seriously love that blue on your door though…

51. Catherine says:

I think its pretty. What colors are in your front landscape? Next time take a few steps back and give us a wider view.

52. Nina Lamb says:

For a split second you had me confused… surely shaving your legs should be a priority over painting :-) Love the colour!

53. Trixie says:

Perfect! Very Pretty. I was wondering if navy was the one for you but this is even better.

54. Kriszina says:

Love it!

55. Florida Lurker says:

Wow! Not what I was expecting, but perfectly you and perfectly beautiful! I also love the position of the door knob.

56. cheryl says:

LOVE IT!!!!! But, I am always swayed by blue:)
    ~Cheryl

57. Robyn says:

I do like it, but I think same colour a couple of shades darker will pop out more. Hey, you asked ;-)

58. marcia says:

Oooh…I likey! Is it my imagination or is your door handle higher than the norm? Anyways, It looks very cool. Literally. Marcia

59. Peggy says:

Wow very nice! It is looks great!! It reminds of a door of an elegant little cottage on the beaches of california. A quaint cottage which brings back many childhood memories to include playing in the sand under the swings at the beach under bright California skies and eating fresh pomegranates. Lovely!!

60. Mary K says:

YES!! Just says beach, sun washed, cozy and comfy to me.

I think it’s great

Mary in MN

61. Kat says:

Definitely LIKEY!!! :)

62. tami says:

Now that door says “Beach Cottage” !

63. Melanie says:

Looks fantastic, Sarah. Are you going to let us in on the colour name???

64. Annastacia says:

It’s beautiful! It makes me want to go get a can of that gorgeous blue and paint something! And then come hang out on your porch with you!

65. Rukmini says:

I not only likey but I hearty. Its fabulous. Yeah, you’re right about the name though. It’s kinda tacky. But I love the door. It’s come out great.

Btw, do you know in turkey and persia they believe that a blue front door wards off evil and brings in prosperity? :)

66. I so love how this door looks! The color is just perfect!

67. I think it looks gorgeous. Fresh and beautiful…perfect for relaxing …out on the porch…and while you are reading/drinking/relaxing..you can sit back and admire the gorgeousness of your new front door color. Brilliant!

68. Beth says:

I really like it – it’s very fresh. I had originally thought that a French Navy would have been a good colour, but seeing a light blue makes me think that the navy would have been too heavy a colour.
    (Isn’t is funny how colours are ‘fresh’ or ‘heavy’ – doesn’t make much sense really does it?!)
    x

69. I like the blue , it has a coolness about it.

Kelly

70. I have to say that color of blue is my favorite…..that aqua “ocean blue”.

I can’t beleive you picked my favorite color! It SOOOOOO rocks the front door!

Hugs and God bless, Fi

71. Rochelle says:

Wow, it all I can say. It looks fabulous and has you written all over it. Actually ít has me written all over it too. ;) ´Great work Sarah and of course lets not forget Mr BC.
    xx

72. Marnie says:

Love it and love the idea of a beer on the deck afterwards :)

73. Ellie says:

Grand.

Love it a lot.

74. Kel says:

Wow, i’m impressed. My original thoughts were to stick with a strong navy, however after seeing the door painted this colour, I really like it!!

75. Julie says:

Love it! Although I originially liked No.4, somehow this just looks perfect, and now I can’t imagine the other one. Lovely

What colour? What door? Mr Beach Cottage is a hottie! You lucky girl Sarah. Keep being extra nice to him.

77. Aisling says:

Great colour!

78. The colour looks great! But why do Dulux insist on giving their colours such insipid names? Give me a bit of Farrow & Ball Dead Salmon or Arsenic any day… at least they have some character!

79. Elaine in Laguna says:

I love it! It looks great! Enjoy!

80. Beth says:

Great door Sarah! You chose the right one! Love!

81. Teresa says:

I absolutely love it. That is my new favorite color. Whenever we repaint our house that is the color of door I am going to choose.

82. Julie Johnson says:

Gorgeous color! Perfect for your beautiful little “cottage by the sea”. I knew you would pick a great color. You just have a knack for that.

83. Sarah says:

I think it looks wonderful!

84. Peggy says:

Sarah, I really think you need to get a job with Dulux naming their paints. Some of the names you have come up with are far more appealing… the names just match the color!

85. Crystal says:

I just painted my guest room/sewing room a very similar color…and I love it!

86. The door looks great! Mr. BC ain’t bad either! he! he!

87. Roxanne says:

Love the door! Very serene. Lovely.

88. kathy h. says:

I don’t likey. I LOVEY!!! Love the color!

89. I really love the color! Feels so fresh, light and happy! Navy blue would’ve had a much heavier feeling to it. This color feels like a wave just swept over your front door and washed it in fresh color. The accessories look terrific, too.
    When I first saw the feet, I noticed the hairy legs and figured that wasn’t you – lol! The door is so interesting: here, it would be turned upside down with the shorter panels on top and the doorknob would be at waist-height. I love that your porch is being used exactly as intended. I’ve always wanted a porch just for sitting and reading and noticing the little things in the world.

90. So pretty! I love the color! I was just thinking the other day that my front door needs a facelift. Its a dark red right now. I may do another color to add some interest!

91. Deb says:

I LOVE it! Paint is soooo hard to choose! It’s a perfect Beach Cottage color! I’m trying to figure out how to match that… we don’t have Dulux here in the US. Any ideas?

xx

92. Steph says:

It makes me want to come knock on your door! So I would say….perfect.

93. janita says:

it is perfect! yeah paint names…… very influencial for me, I never would have choosen an name like that . I would have totally missed out . you are going to love coming home to that! janita

94. Erica says:

It looks great. I so want a deck. Gorgeous colour, naff name, good job!

95. Love the beachy color, which looks perfect with the hanging shells!

96. Angela says:

It’s perfect, just like everything else in your home. I’m sitting here today with about 50 DIY jobs in my mind that I want to do, but haven’t a single British penny to spend, and started to feel blue….then I thought I’d cheer myself up by having a peek at what you’d been up to lately, and it’s worked! Love your home, love your ideas and style….I can but dream! My little house is an imaginary coastal house, it’s actually in Surrey, England, and not at all coastal! Still, I can dream….I am loving your makeover posts, I love a good makeover…I have just started a dresser top in the kitchen that is painted duck egg blue now and holds my jars of flour/baking stuff/pretty white mugs etc….so I am trying! Keep up the good work and thanks for cheering me up during my no-money, need-to-lose-my-Christmas-weight, newly-single-boy-orientated-home, want-to-change-everything-in-my-home-at-once kind of mood! xxxxx

97. indiansummer says:

Absolutely beautiful, Sarah. As usual, I’m envious. ;-) (LOL at the comments about curling toes and leg shaving.)

98. andrea says:

I think it’s stunning for the seaside! The shell chime adds all kinds of casual glamour to your entrance, too! andrea@townandprairie

99. Helene says:

Your door looks lovely!! So does the front of your house. Maybe try a colorful mermaid to the upper left of the door on the wall. Very inspiring! I’m looking for my beach cottage.

100. Jody says:

I adore your beach shells did you buy them or make them? X Jody

Hi Jody

I bought them a long time ago…but they somehow got stuck in a cupboard…when I was dressing up the deck I remembered them! love…

sarahx

101. Ashley says:

I love the color! Do you? Question: why is your door knob so high?

102. Eileen. @ cottage beach house says:

I love the color you picked. Very chic coastal color, and your decor around it looks adorable! Love the monkey knot and the lantern you have is pretty awesome looking to me.

103. Colour is a tricky thing; it’s even harder when you view it through a blog — too many layers of reproduction going on. If the colour is as pastel as I suspect, you might find that the colour is not quite saturated enough — it will look almost white in our blinding summer sun. Of course, the door might face south, in which case you won’t have a problem.

no it does not wash out because the deck now filters the light, it’s actually quite blue…it lookS very coastal and beachy and casual…and I am still wondering about popping it with navy blue

thanks for your comment!

xo

104. paulette says:

I am absolutely in LoVe with the color!!!
    It’s always a pleasure to pop over and view your world.
    Thank you for sharing the fun.
    New year greetings from sunny Laguna Beach, California

105. Krissie says:

oooooh it looks gorgeous! i love it it looks so beachy and bright must be so nice to come home to x

106. The perfect coastal color blue!!!

107. Shani says:

Hi Sarah,

Love the door colour, but have a separate question – what is the wall colour you’ve got there? is it a white (one of the Lexicons maybe?) or is it a stone/taupe sort of colour?

I am in the thick of some renovations and need to choose a paint colour for the outside of the house – love the look of yours!

I am thinking of a pale chalky lemon yellow front door – if I can get hubby to agree he he

Happy bath tub soaking…
    Shani

it is Chino by Wattyl if I remember correctly…to be honest I wished I had gone a tad darker…

LOVE yellow front doors xo

108. Adrianne says:

Sarah, LOVE the front door color. Having trouble finding it. Could you please help me with the name. Nothing came up with the name Deluxe Days. Thanks Adrianne

109. Adrianne says:

Did any one have any luck finding the color of the front door on the Deluxe website.

110. Tiffany says:

Oh my gosh! I know I’m a little late by I vote YES! Yes- to everything; the door, the door color, the subtle beachy decor, and the sweet lantern.
    I know I am totally dorky for saying this but when I saw the picture of that blue door I got butterflies in my stomach and my heart skipped a beat! I love your taste. Just reading this blog has taken me to a place of peace and serenity.
    Can’t wait to spend a few more hours (try weeks) catching up on all the previous entries that I have missed!

111. Margie says:

Greeting from the beautiful coastal state of Oregon on the north-west coast of the USA. The color of your door is jaw dropping. I immediately Goggled Delux and much to my dismay discovered (as I had feared) that Delux is a company based in Australia. (Interestingly, I learned while on Delux’s site that their best selling paint is called Antique White USA… =) I was wondering if anyone knows of a paint company in the US that sells a paint color similar to that sold by Delux or how I could obtain a paint chip of that color from Delux to have custom blended in the USA? BTW. I have spent a couple of hours enjoying all the beauty this this blog has to offer. Your story is inspirational and your creativity seems endless!! Thanks!!

Hi

I actually thought Dulux is sold in some places in the USA, but can’t help a bit more than that xx

thanks for the love x

• Anonymous says:

Just make sure you use “Dulux” as the brand name and “Deluxe” as the color. Don’t forget to write colour with a ‘u’ on Aussie sites. I found it no probs.

112. [...] Finding the right blue can be really difficult. Inspiration came from one of my favourite blogs, A Beach Cottage. When I saw it I just knew I had to do it at my place – so a big thank you to Sarah for [...]

113. Kareen says:

HI!
    I love this colour!
    Is it Deluxe Days Full, half or quarter strength please? I went out and got it on the weekend in full but the full strength looks too bright…. so I’m thinking it may be half…
    Cheers
    Kareen

114. suzanne says:

Wow! What a beautiful home and website! I came across it today and have been enjoying every bit of it! I live on the gulf coast of Florida, USA, and have been searching for some beach cottage inspiration – and did I find it! I am in love with all you have done! I love the outdoor color, deck color and door color and have been searching for that motif, just terrible at choosing colors. I was sad to find that paint brand not available in the USA. I know that others had asked also, but wondering if you’d found out a way to match the paints here?
    Beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

115. Karyn Sederberg says:

Helllo
    What is the blue manufacturer of the paint? I might paint my front door that color.

Cheers,