Beach Cottage Coastal Style Bathroom Renovation The Before

Tue 17th, Jan, 2012

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

20120117-01-beach-cottage-coastal-renovation

G’day Beach Cottage ladies, let’s have a look at our coastal bathroom renovation shall we?

Take a seat my friends, this is not for the faint of heart and it is NOT looking pretty in there, (a lot of these photos are grainy, I used my iPhone in low light because I don’t have a lens that is wide enough to fit the whole room in because of it’s size…thinking about it though, I don’t think you wanna see these pictures crystal clear lol).

This is Day 6 without a bath tub…boy oh boy am I feeling it…I thought I loved my bathtub before, heck I knew I loved it, but now without one I am climbing the walls at about 7pm…after Arsenic Hour is over, people are fed, cottages are hoovered, kitchens are cleaned and laundry is put away, I about hang-on for dear life every day to the thought of that water running, those bubbles bubbling and a fresh stack of white towels waiting for me.

Not at the moment.

Beth, whoever we are calling you is not looking very coastal style or beach decor or nice at all really (I will be doing a poll on this and a naming ceremony, no I do not jest, after this wait there will be a naming ceremony, heck there will be an opening ceremony complete with ribbon).

So this is it…what follows are the pictures from in there at the moment

20120117-02-IMG_4659

the reality of my coastal style, nautical, beach cottage bathroom dream is a lotta males around here running around in various guises, with various tools doing their various things

20120117-03-IMG_4676

20120117-04-IMG_8575

this is the vanity all wrapped up…it has a marble top and drawers…

20120117-05-IMG_4668

we put it in the re-cessed section that used to be the toilet (the door will be blocked up)…

20120117-06-IMG_4672

it looked good here but we worked out that actually the bath fitted in here much more nicely leaving lots of room for other things that happen in bathrooms…

20120117-07-IMG_8556

It looks small in this picture but obviously all the joists, timber and piping will not be there…those are from the old room where the handbasin & toilet were…

I said out loud oooh good, I can get a nice old vintage chair in here too then…both the males involved in this operation looked at me, Mr Beach Cottage made a neck slitting action with his hands…yes he was wearing those boardies with his Bonds on show and his love handles peaking out and still he had the cheek to look at me talking about vintage chairs…

really!

20120117-08-IMG_8552

here they were musing

hmmm

But in the end

I just took pictures of my feet and let them get on with it

20120117-09-

OK Beach Cottage lovelies, that’s it from me for now…I am off down the beach for a walk, my stretches and a swim in the sea

I may pop back later if School Holiday time allows to show you the fittings and fixtures I have chosen…if not, see you tomorrow for Good Life Wednesday yeah?

What do you think so far??  …the no walls, mess, wires & plumbing??  looking good yah?

Byeeeeeee !

20120117-10-IMG_8579

1 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 1 Flares ×

48 Responses to “Beach Cottage Coastal Style Bathroom Renovation The Before”

1. Mary Kaeding says:

LOVE the “musing” picture – So deep in thought! Also, go toe photos!

Just think how great that first soak is going to be….

Mary in MN

2. Kirsty says:

Ooh fun! Looks messy, I’d leave the boys to it too! ;) I have my first ever bathroom reno to tackle this year, just seeing those bare joists makes me feel all nervous and excited about it…I think I’m gonna be absolutely terrified when all my old stuff gets ripped out! Hang in there without your tub, the new bathroom will make it all worthwhile I’m sure! xo K

3. Leanne says:

I do hate this part…the dust and musty smell, but it is SO worth it! We’re going to start our 4th bath reno in the spring…so excited for the finished product, both yours and mine!

4. Susan says:

I think you need to run off and check yourself into a hotel, just so that you can have a bubble bath :)

I’m sure it will all be worthwhile in the end!!!

5. Melinda says:

Thank goodness for the perfectly painted toes and pink slip ons!! all that raw is a bit confronting after the usual prettiness – Im looking forward to seeing more updates – excited for you. xx

6. Fiona says:

so funny, the only thing more authentic would have been a photo of a tradies bum crack! (can i say that on a blog?? especially one as pretty as yours!)
    good luck with it all.

• Peggy says:

Oh my goodness I was thinking the same thing! We had an addition built onto our lovely LITTLE cottage this past summer… just imagine bum crack and Fred Flintstone belly which NEVER stayed covered kneeling over continually to do foundation and then later flooring work. And there was no where to go!!

Good luck! And I know it will look fabulous once its done!

haha so far this is a crackless reno, roflmao
      x

7. Candy says:

The pain before the gain!!!!! Sooo exciting!

8. Janelle says:

Well at least your feet look pretty!?!!!

I feel for you Sarah…. I would be climbing the walls too, but not because I can’t have a bath, it would be because of the mess and too many people….

It actually causes me anxiety seeing my little cottage in a mess (with all the painting and holes in the damaged wall of the hall thanks to a leak from the shower – nothing serious just a new wall needed now that the dodgy shower screen has been waterproofed properly)… My husband was amused when he found out that it was the mess behind my bad temper over the weekend… I wasn’t amused…

Looking at your photos brings back that anxiety (knowing how beautiful and orderly your B.C is shown on this lovely blog of yours) so I really feel for you.

I can’t wait for it to be all over and to see that gorgeous vintage chair in it! lol I will come back later to see those fittings (if you had the chance that is to blog about them).

yeah it does get on top of you in the end I think…a bit like the school hols.. love love love having my kiddos around but the constant mess gets boring! x

10. Deanne says:

No gain without pain, Sarah or should I say “No new bathroom without going bathless”
    Hang in there it will be all good in the end- maybe you can take 2 baths a day to make up for your bathless nights now!

11. Stacey says:

love handles! What love handle???? : )

12. Lookin’ GREAT, Sarah! The vision continues to bloom! :)

xoxo laurie

13. EEk! This stage freaks me out too. Gin and tonic, gin and tonic.

14. It will be so worth it, and such a delight when you finally get into that cool white porcelain, and run your hands down her sleek edges, and your toes under her faucet. Plucking your fluffy white towel off a vintage chair sitting next to her. I can picture it now, Mojito in hand. Kiddos totally ignored for the moment.
    “Mommies having a bath don’t bother her, she can’t hear anyone, anyway with that water running, and that ipod in her ears, the house could be falling down around her”

15. Tricia Rose says:

Love a house full of tradies…

16. I sense that the no-bath issue is border line getting TRICKY for you sweet!!

Fingers crossed- and think of the *opening/ribbon cutting ceremony*! That’s a whole other reason for new towels, candles etc…

it may work in your favour!!

Cute toe polish!!

Melissa x

I never see the mess and chaos in renos. I just get so excited about the end result that is coming. You are presenting this reno soooo slowly on your blog. I’m loving it but it’s pure torture for me.

Mr alison had a ribbon cutting ceremony and speeches to open his new shed. We all laughed so hard.

18. Manda says:

Nice sandals, nice scarf. Hope your enjoyed the beach this morning.
    x manda

19. Karen says:

Oh Sarah I am dying to see how your bathroom ends up! I know it will be amazing! I really want to do our bathroom this year (It’s only been 7years in the making -lol) so I feel your pain. So happy I found you! Thanks for sharing!

20. Rukmini says:

Pretty pink toes save the day. Yes, sarah, G & T is a good idea. Or some shandy, if you fancy! maybe?
    I seriously cannot wait to see the final look. Are you calling her Beth? I think she quite looks like Beth!

21. I can’t wait to see it when it’s done. You have me laughing, you’re too funny! Love your foot shots, cute slippers.
    Debbie

22. janis conn says:

Sarah,
    As a veteran of 2.5 bathroom reno-wars I can tell you the end justifies the means. Keep that lovely soak in mind each and every time you look: at those studs instead of walls; at the dust that settles over everything else in your house; at the mess that’s left at the end of the day; at the unfinished room when the contractor takes “some time off”. (Actually his daughter’s wedding, but he was supposed to be finished the week before)
    I now have a lovely master bath complete with Japanese soaking tub : ), double vanity, walk-in closet and for my Mr an extra large shower and Toto toilet. Our guests enjoy the (micro) powder room that now feels more like an elegant box than a coffin. My favourite bath-redo was our hall bathroom that is now crisp and clean blue and white instead of dingy green with old corroded taps.
    All the angst and misgivings are distant memories (last reno completed 7 months ago). “Keep your eye on the Prize”

Cheers!

Janis

23. HRH Sarah says:

Reno’s are a perfect excuse to have cocktails… Though your stretching and swimming plan works well, too :)
    Your toes look lovely, will be going out for a pedi later on today, yipee! Can’t wait to see some more carnage, and a vintage chair or two…

24. Waiting on that soak in the tub will be so…worth it! I can hardly wait to see the end results, I know you can’t either. Love those slippers!

25. Glennie says:

It’s a bit like the dentist isn’t it … pain, anxiety and horror receding into the mists of time. Mind you I can still remember doing our bathroom 10 years ago! The one and only highlight during the process was finding really delicate wallpaper (possibly the original from the 1880′s) on two of the walls. We tried to keep a piece intact but it disintegrated in our hands … Happy soaking when it’s finished Sarah – I can see you with a magzine, a glass of bubbles and endless hot water.

26. Robynne says:

Ah…bonds…Robx

27. Terrie from Atlanta, Georgia says:

Might that possibly be a window view from your new tub once all is done? How lovely to lie back and look at the stars while you soak! And what’s all this with the female bathtub names, btw? Perhaps you’d be happier with a male calling your name each night: “I’ll be there in a moment, Jeeves!” or “Hold all my calls, please ~ I have an appointment with Jeeves.” Much better!
    P.S. and please tell Mr. Fancy-BC-Pants that a reno is no place for bare feet, thank you very much. We don’t want any BCers in the ER ~ xoxo

28. Roxanne says:

Hang in there Sarah — all the fuss, dust and stuff will be worth it!

Warm regards, Roxanne@serenityandbliss.com

29. Susan says:

my Mr BC… cause I have one myself…… likes to show a little too much butt crack for my liking. He’s got some seriously tatty work shorts that he gets on immediately following a hard days slog in the operating rooms. He isa brilliant medicine man who has a secret love of carpentry, plumbing and all things handy man. {it has saved us $1000′s over the years} ……..

It’s looking good….. I like your choice of vanity unit, again…… very similar to the ones I have. Marble is my choice of surface in this beach house :)

yay for almost there renovations……. I may just send you my fav bath bubble scent to enjoy after your pain!

Susan x

30. Jacqui says:

I can’t wait to see how it turns out! I too have an 80s bathroom (my mother tells me it has the exact same tile her parents used when they built their first home in the 70s in South Africa a lovely white tile with a busy brown pattern – who would have thought you would find the same tiles in Australia too!). At the moment I’m doing all the renovations in my head, and trying to get an idea of how much it will realistically cost. I hope you can post some tips and tricks and budget planning when it’s all finished :)

31. kathy h. says:

Mr. BC looks like he’s in pretty good shape… and you are too!!

So wish I could take a walk down to the beach and go for a swim. We have the ocean 20 minutes away but it is always too dang cold for that anyway!

Enjoy it for us!!