Beach Cottage Good Life Weds ~ Coastal Christmas & Shopping the House

Wed 7th, Dec, 2011

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

20111207-01-beach-cottage-coastal-christmas-decorations

G’day!  How are you lovely lovely lovely Beach Cottage girls!  Lovely? Good.

Or are you more likely feeling this slight wave of panic somewhere inside, are you thinking about Christmas lists and wondering quite how you are gonna fit it all in.  Hmmm, I bet that’s more like it.

I am feeling a little bit like that, but truth be told, I have learnt over the years, with the Beach Cottage Crew to run around after at this time of year and all the other stuff going on, to keep my expectations low.

20111207-02-beach-cottage-christmas

One way to do this is not get too caught up in having everything look perfect and wanting your old cottage to look like the latest front cover of House and Garden…that is probably not going to happen…I have got myself in a twist waaayyy too many times over this, not anymore…especially in Australia, when not only is it Christmas, but it is also end of the school year and the start of the long summer holidays so there are even more events thrown into the ring

…so keeping it low key will make it do-able and one way I like to do this is to shop the house for decorations and then just add a few simple Christmas things to them, without too much fuss… obviously I like mine to be in a coastal Christmas meme, but whatever you like can easily be sparkled up for this time of the year…and doing it this way makes it very easy on your time limitations and even easier on the pocket.

20111207-03-nautical-cottage-Christmas

This is an old vintage Pepsi crate I picked up ages ago…

20111207-04-IMG_0324

I wanted to use something vintage and natural in my coastal Christmas / beach decor theme and thought this might be firstly easy, secondly in budget seeing as I already had it and thirdly very quick to just fill up with a few pretty Christmas things.

20111207-05-beach-cottage-christmas-shells

It was actually super easy…I filled it with things I love

The silver candle holders are from IKEA, I have had them for a few years now

Then I added vintage bottles and a jam jar with red twine and a tealight…

20111207-06-IMG_0305

Stuffed around that shells, silver baubles, and a few of my clay tags…I love having these plopped here and there at this time of year too (you can find my tutorial on how to make your own clay tags here)…these are so simple to make, I just do a big stash of them and then use them for the Christmas tree, on parcels and presents and here and there with the silver and baubles, here I did them in lovehearts, but I have stars, stockings and trees too..

Enjoy Good Life Wednesday…for me today it’s about keeping it a simple coastal Christmas, keeping it real, do-able and more importantly keeping that Christmas broomstick in the cupboard..

Next week is the Beach Cottage Christmas party…did I say I have lots of goodies lined up to give away??  Did I mention one of those lovelies is one that stands on your counter top and mixes things for ya?!

OH YEAH, be there…

See you next time, I’ve got a fashion post (lbd) and a lovely Christmas wreath table dressing to show you soon…

Get those twinkles out, shop the house and throw around some sparkle

Byeeeeee

beach decor

20111207-07-beach-cottage-christmas-decor

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 Buffer 0 0 Flares ×

34 Responses to “Beach Cottage Good Life Weds ~ Coastal Christmas & Shopping the House”

1. beachcomber says:

gorgeously simple ! love it!
    x

2. Rachel says:

Goodmorning Sarah!
    Beautiful pics this morning, loving the pepsi crate and the concept of keeping things simple and utilising things we already have around the house. Often times during this silly season, I have been known to get out that Christmas broomstick….oh dear. Not this year! No! I shall attempt to keep things in perspective…and this means not leaving things to the last minute…or staying up till midnight weeping over a gingerbread house that is not sticking together despite copious amounts of royal icing reinforcement….
    Looking forward to the linky party….although being a newby blogger….I may find myself bumbling my way around…watch out it could get ugly!
    Ps loving the red twine however, it is proving to be very hard to find at stores….any ideas where I could go?
    xo Rachel

3. Kahli says:

Thanks for hosting! I love that vintage pepsi crate!

4. Kat says:

Gorgeous simplicity at it’s best Sarah! :)
    I am looking forward to that lbd post!!!
    Enjoy the season, mostly I am soaking up the little moments with my little ones.
    I hope you are too. (and enjoying that trip to the hairdressers!) ;)

5. Giulia says:

Love the crate and the sparkle added. I like decorating on a tray, it’s easy to move when needed.

6. Love, your box with a nice bottle of bubbly and some crystal glasses would also be stunning. You are just so good with lighting!

7. Looking good as it does every year! x

8. Kerry Rossow says:

As always- LOVELY! I really love the high low combination!
    Thank you for hosting!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

9. christie says:

Love the centerpiece. Quick and Fun ! Since you love white and sparkly …. Heres a kids craft ( my personal craft level). Take clean glass jar. Apply modge podge roll in glitter. Or, variation. Wrap and modge podge wax paper around jar then apply more modge podge and roll in glitter. I did this for the first time a few years ago and I was stunned at how pretty the were !
    Thanks for blogging.
    ~ Christie

10. Marnie says:

I love, love, love your settings! So pretty.
    You must have shares in Napisan.
    Thanks for hosting again.
    x Marnie

11. Sylvia says:

Hi Sarah,
    I love the concept of keeping it low key ;” Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication “,right ?!
    I find your Christmas/beach decor an embodiment of Da Vinci’s quote . I love the originality ( as always ), the simplicity , and the serenity of it . Thank you for your wonderful party !

12. Paula says:

Love your idea of coastal decorating….you said that it is the end of the school year in Australia. What months doe the kiddos go to school What are your seasons over there?

13. I was just wondering what I was going to do with my old crate that’s been hanging around. Thanks for the inspiration Sarah!

14. Sharon says:

The centerpiece looks nice with all your sparkly silver and white and I just love those shell balls (spheres??). They are really cute and seem to be so versatile and really say beachy/coastal to me.

As usual, I love what you’ve done and I look forward to the lbd post and the Christmas table wreath post and, of course, the Christmas party next week.

15. Mummaducka says:

Looks lovely and fits your theme. I can’t handle purchases made specifically to just decorate and they havent been collected over time, have no personal meaning or “story”, nor gathered from a trip or gifted/inherited from a loved one, nor fitting a theme. I looove it when people can tell me a story about the things in their homes and the meaning of its value to them.

16. So beautiful, you make simple things look so magical! And you always make it sound so easy but there definitely is an art to it! Thanks for sharing your genius with us as always! Love all the photos.

17. [...] am sharing this post with -cottage-good-life-weds. GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); [...]

18. kirsten says:

Hi Sarah
    I love the silver & white & all sparkles. The vintage crate amongst all the white is really eye catching.

What colour are the walls in that room? I’m struggling to find a good white for a bedroom! I’ve already got over 10 swatches on the wall and not one is speaking to me.. (sorry to digress from the Christmas cheer).

19. Love the Pepsi crate! I have a plain cream crate like this that I have wanted to find a use for for a while!

20. Morning Sarah-

I am mad for that gorgeous PEPSI box…love the old vintage box with the white & silver sparkle of Christmas inside…

Wise words- setting your goals low for the racing around about Christmas- as the way you *simply* throw it all together says calm & carefree…not Christmas manic at all….

I loved your post yesterday- and got so into sorting out TWITTER that I failed to post a comment!! I did TWEET you though!

Thanks for the *keep-going-and-maybe-see-if-it-works-for-you-like-this-post*- I really get Twitter more now!

Melissa x

21. marcia says:

Love your beachy Christmas decorations Sarah! I’m looking forward to the table dressing idea, still stuck on how to do mine this weekend for the home show. It’s like I know what I want, but not sure how to pull it together…Can you come over please? To California? Thanks for hosting, Marcia

22. Love the beach tray. Your decorating style is simplistic perfection!

23. Jen says:

Love the silver, white and red combo ❈

24. So Pretty! I have an old wooden box in my garage that I love but have not put to use yet. I love this idea:)

Mmmm, keep expectations low. Excellent advice. Realised today if I am going away the week before Christmas then I really should get organised NOW!

Mmm, keep expectations low. Excellent advice.

26. Hi Sarah,
    I loved these so much I wrote a post about them! (and a tweet :)

Have a great weekend,
    Christine

27. Thanks for your sweet note about my yellow Tablescape!!! I LOVE all your Christmas table, especially the mix of old/new & modern/rustic! Perfect!

8 bloggers are hosting a Blog around the Christmas Tree Party and today’s feature is Christmas Scapes! I’d love to have you join up, the party is just beginning!

XO, Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com

PS I’m going to add a link, too! Fun to know about your blog party!