Beach Cottage Easy Coastal Christmas Dessert Cake Recipe

Mon 5th, Dec, 2011

122 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 122 Buffer 0 122 Flares ×

20111205-01-IMG_0424

G’day lovely Beach Cottage Gals!   I have a Coastal Christmas dessert recipe for you, though you certainly don’t need to be by the coast for this…

How you cooking this fine Monday?  In Australia today, the Eastern seaboard is having the coldest start to summer in 51 years, or so the weather man says…my bare feet are agreeing with that right now…

So, wanna world famous Too Easy Beach Cottage Recipe…not quite a Dump & Go, more like a slice and go?  Do you like very super Too Easy Christmas Desserts?  I know I do!

This can hardly be called a recipe if you really sit down and examine it, this is more a gathering of ingredients and a putting them back together for a Christmas dessert to make one look like a super goddess of all things domestic without any effort.  Just how I like it.

I first had Panettone when I worked in the West End of London (the area I worked in was where all the Italian deli’s and restaurants were)…and all the shops would have all manner of things hanging off their awnings all through the year, and come Christmas the shops were fully loaded with Panettone.  It quickly became one of my favourite things to buy and savour and in those days, really, you only saw it at Christmas, and I loved it when it hit the shops…bundling up in the cold London streets, bustling into one of the deli’s and choosing which Panettone to spend my hard-earned cash on and then walking along with that lovely box of delight with the little fabric handle, swinging in the wind.

There are few things better in life than a morning coffee and a slice of this stuff, which is one of the reasons I make the excuse again and again to make this, so I can use the leftovers toasted with my coffee….  But saying that,  it’s even better dressed up and on your Christmas dinner table.

20111205-02-IMG_0413

The first time I came across Panettone as a Christmas dessert on the dinner table was one year, I went to a Christmas dinner at a friends house and after a big, long, delicious and lovely feast, one of these, quietly but expertly placed on a cake stand and dusted liberally with icing sugar came out and was the most elegant and perfect post-feast delight.

It was then that I saw Panettone in an all new light.  A light that meant I could, at Christmas time, or any other time for that matter, serve up a lovely cakey Christmas dessert that wowed in its presentation but, for its creator, there would be little fuss and palaver.

20111205-03-IMG_0427

I always look forward to Christmas dinner, whether than means it’s eaten in a cold climate with snow on the ground and walking to the pub in a scarf or, more likely nowadays, a coastal Christmas, wearing flip flops, hitting the beach and floating about on the deck…but with that, almost untouchable thought of happy times though, I know that for us women the actual reality of cooking and planning the thing can be just another job to add to the never-ending list of jobs that turns Christmas joy and happy festive days into more like a nightmare whereupon by the time it is all over you collapse in a crumpled heap on the sofa, topped with a paper party hat.

So this is my Coastal Christmas dessert that might help with that, it suits a warm Christmas occasion beautifully, though to be honest, I made this in England in the dark days of Winter too…I think desserts are one area that Christmas entertaining, whatever the climate overlaps…who doesn’t like a cake laden with cream and topped with fruit?

And this is the one thing that you can have up your sleeve at this time of year, to keep you from that crumpled woman in the corner watching everyone else have fun…I love the glorious amalgamation of cream and Christmas Cake from Italy, topped with jewels and nodding, in all it’s white heaven to Christmas red…the purrfect Christmas dessert!

For this you will need two main ingredients…Panettone and cream.  Plus something pretty to go on top & something to soak it in.

Beach Cottage Coastal Christmas Panettone Delight

1 medium Panettone cake

1 carton cream (suitable for whipping) (600ml)

1 x punnet fruit (anything goes, I like raspberries & strawberries)

sparkly bits to dress it up

6 tbsp sherry or cordial

2 tbsp caster sugar

1 x small bar chocolate (milk or dark)

1. Remove your Panettone from its lovely box

20111205-04-IMG_0332

2. Carefully remove the waxy wrapper on the cake (this is the most fiddly bit of this, do not be impatient…slow & easy is the way here or it will tear up and the cake will fall about all over the show …you don’t want that)

20111205-05-IMG_0386

3. Now slice the bottom part of your cake into 3 big slices, leaving the domed top part for your morning coffee ;-)

20111205-06-IMG_0388 20111205-07-IMG_0396

4. Now whip up your cream, together with the sugar

20111205-08-IMG_0336 20111205-09-picture2life_45518_original

until it hold soft peaks in a bowl

20111205-10-IMG_0373 20111205-11-IMG_0377

5. Now you start making a Panettone sandwich …on each slice drizzle some sherry (or cordial if you are using it)….you just need a small amount so it isn’t too sodden…then spread each sandwich layer with some of the whipped cream and cover the whole top of the tower of Panettone slices with the cream…I like to splodge some down the sides too

20111205-12-IMG_0407

6. decorate the top of your cake with the raspberries or fruit of choice

20111205-13-IMG_0404

7. randomly place them and then add sparkly bits

20111205-14-IMG_0421

and grate over your chocolate

20111205-15-IMG_0410

BC Christmas desserts Notes*  you can leave the sugar out of the cream, or adjust accordingly to your sweet (or not) tooth   * use any sparkly bits you have, I used silver buttons   * I prefer milk chocolate but the foodies will tell you it’s Green & Blacks all the way  *you can use half the cream for a less decadent affair  *for this I use a middle of the road in terms of price Panettone for other occasions I splurge :-) …you don’t need that here  *you can omit the sherry / cordial if you don’t like that, in fact I often do as my kids aren’t (obviously) big on alcohol in their dessert…if you do this it will be slightly drier, but just as nice  !

20111205-03-IMG_0427

I hope you try it, it’s lovely, it can tick Christmas Dessert off of that long and stressy list that may be piling up in the back of your mind and if you are savvy with your shopping you can get everything in and ready now….let me know if you make it

That’s it from me from the beaches…see you soon lovelies…here’s to Christmas and sparklies

See you later

beach decor

find more of my tried and tested by a real girl, easy recipes that make you look like a coastal christmas dessert goddess here

shared at Darcy’s Bokeh Party, thanks

20111205-16-IMG_04241

38 Responses to “Beach Cottage Easy Coastal Christmas Dessert Cake Recipe”

1. Leah says:

Hi Sarah,
    I will definitely try this. I can’t tell in the picture if this is a single dessert for one or is it a large one you cut up? Sounds easy and delicious though. Thanks for the recipe. Leahx

2. Sylvia says:

Hi Sarah , this is so intriguing !!!
    I have never thought of such an original idea for dessert – simple , beautiful and I believe delicious .It is so going to be made soon :)
    Thank you and have a joyous , gentle season !

3. Manda says:

Oh Sarah! This is it, this is what I will take to my mum and dad’s this Christmas. My dad is Italian, needless to say, we have always had panettone at Christmas in our house, and he absolutely ADORES cream and strawberries!!…sorted!
    He will think I am the best daughter ever turning up with one of these in my arms…thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.

xx manda

4. Barefoot Liz says:

I just want the fresh whipped cream and fruit. Yum.

5. Tammy says:

It looks sooo good and the recipe seems easy. I’m not a cook but I might be able to pull this one off.

6. Looks delicious and super easy.
    Technical question…how do you do the movie sequence (pouring the cream)? I don’t have PS or PSE and use a Mac. Would love to try this.

7. Jim S says:

Panettone…yummo!

8. Loulou says:

Hello Sarah

What a delicious dish and so easy (you know I’m a fan of the easy club)!

I’ve got a great variation idea from you for this too maybe for a smaller serve. I’ll let you know how I go when I try it.

Gorgeous pictures as usual :) frame these around your kitchen.

Have a wonderful day,

loulou, from hereiamloulou blog
    x

9. Sarah,
    It’s beautiful and I bet it’s delious! Thanks for the recipe!
    Debbie

10. Susan says:

Now I’m drooling! Thanks for sharing – I will have to go looking for a panettone – I’ve never heard of it before!

11. Tammi says:

I have never tried Panettone but have often looked at it and wondered what it tasted like. Love the look of this simple dessert…who wants to be slaving away in a kitchen during the festive season? Not me :)
    Will definitely be trying this Sarah…thanks
    x

12. Deanne says:

What a shame I can no longer eat wheat, my Christmas dessert will have to be gluten free- just as well there is always the good ol’ pav!

13. Jen says:

Just back from a long weekend away in Chicago and catching up… Some questions: How do you pronounce Panettone? What does it taste like? Is it dense and moist or light and fluffy? Is it quite sweet or very mild? What are the dotty bits in it?

14. Paula says:

OMG I must try

15. Sam says:

Hey,

Just wondering if you make this the day of an event or day prior?

Hope you have a special christmas with lots of memories made and moments to cherish. x

16. Patricia says:

This looks delicious. Another alternative could be orange juice instead of cordial or sherry.

17. Bless your cotton coastal socks for this – I’ll be making it for Christmas! xx

Sarah one tip (I think I got this from Nigellas book) add lime to your cream as it is being whipped (about 1/2 a lime) and it will go perfectly with the raspberries and choc bits. Also do you add the raspberries in between the layers too or just the top? I am so going to try this! I am not a fan of this cake (never have been) but I always get given one or two over the christmas period I may actually eat it served up like this!

19. Rukmini says:

Very very very very tempting. Wow, I love the colors too.
    Problem is my hand blender is for some reason angry and giving out nasty sparks. Will a stand mixer do? Everytime I wanted to have soft peaks in a stand mixer, i ended up with runny cream. Have you ever done it with a stand mixer?

20. This looks really yummy. I love whipped cream and this seems like a really good match. I sometimes eat toast with whipped cream and jam, so I can only imagine that this must be very delicious :). I’m curious if I can get a hold of the Panettone, haven’t seen those around here in Denmark. But I guess there are recipes for them.

This is my first time here, by the way. You have an amazing blog and your photos are beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration.

Best wishes
    Annika

21. Thanks Sarah- we have two Christmas dinners here in England before we head home to Aust- I can now put up my hand to do the dessert for both!

This looks gorgeous & i needed an excuse to buy another Panettone….

Divine photos too!!

Love your red and white striped cloth!

Melissa x

22. Peggy says:

I just made a smidge of this and it is divine. I melted a bit of raspberry jam and added the faintest amount balsamic vinegar. Our local Aldi had panettone but I wasn’t sure how well they would be received. Now I’m off to pick up a couple more for the holidays. And we have edible glitter and sparkly silver sprinkles which work nicely for the bit of sparkle!

Thank you once again for sharing!

23. Judy says:

This looks absolutely gorgeous, having friends for a meal on the 27th, will definitely be giving THIS a go!

24. Sarah says:

I love pannetone, it is such a versatile cake :)
    Your pudding looks really good, it would make a nice change from our bread and butter pudding on boxing day!
    Thanks

25. Jenny says:

Yummy! I love all of the pics too!

26. Susan says:

Great bokeh shots!!! I love Panettone and make a bread pudding out of it (with Disaronno) every Christmas. I am so going to have to try this recipe as well!

27. Amazing pudd, fabulous bokeh, perfect Chrimbo colours, love it love it love it!

28. Cedar says:

These are beautiful photos and it actually looks easy to make…except I’ve never seen or tasted Panettone!

29. Susan says:

Sarah!

These are just amazing! Can hardly stand to view it…it looks amazing♥

30. Georgia says:

Amazing photos!

31. Lizzie Coleman says:

I don’t have PS or PSE and use a Mac. It’s beautiful and I bet it’s delious! I love Panettone and make a bread pudding out of it (with Disaronno) every Christmas. What does it taste like?

32. Kim says:

I sooo love Panettone alone with Tea but this looks so pretty and delicious too! I love how they are simple yet pretty recipes.Thanks so much for something a lil different.~Cheers & Blessings Kim