Beach Cottage Too Easy Recipe ~ Go To Butter Cake

Mon 7th, Nov, 2011

100 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 100 Buffer 0 100 Flares ×

20111107-01-beach-cottage-cake-recipe

Another Beach Cottage Cake Recipe?

That would be a yes.

I am slowly coming to the end of my handful of fallback baking recipes, I must say though, I am enjoying blogging them, hope you are too?  In fact, I have a new and insatiable aptitude for baking….must be my age ;-)

This then is another easy peasy one…I think of it as my Bake & Take…because you can bake it with your eyes almost shut, foof it up a bit with a cake stand and some proverbial dusting and take it with you to any event where you want to look like you made some effort.  When really you threw stuff in, mixed it up a bit and slung it in the oven. :-)

Now, I have to say I didn’t really get into this recipe too much before I tried one of those silicone bake-ware thingies.

Love.

20111107-02-Butter-Cake-Recipe-IMG_7389

These little beauties were made for bakers like me…

Why?

Because they take all the irritating steps out of baking that used to put me off…no fiddling, no lining, no messing around with baking paper or the like…with this stuff you can do nothing, though I do follow the instructions and just wipe some oil around the inside before the batter goes in…plus clean-up goes no-worries, where you can pop this in the dishwasher and forget about it…

So all-in-all, if you use a one-bowl recipe (are there any others ;-) ), with one of these babies on board, you really have, at most, three things to clear-up…no brainer…

20111107-03-Butter-Cake-Recipe-IMG_7403

When I first saw these around, I thought they weren’t worth investing in for someone like me…but now I am slowly starting a small collection…don’t get me wrong, I still like my regular old muffin trays with liners…but for big girl cakes one of these combined with one bowl recipes means I can putter in the kitchen with a cake without any of the things that used to take the enjoyment out of it for me.

20111107-04-Butter-Cake-Recipe-IMG_7459 20111107-05-Butter-Cake-Recipe-IMG_7461 20111107-06-Butter-Cake-Recipe-IMG_7483

Beach Cottage Too Easy Butter Cake Recipe

2 1/4 cup self-raising flour

250g butter

3/4 tsp vanilla essence

1 1/4 cups sugar

3/4 cup milk

3 eggs

20111107-01-beach-cottage-cake-recipe

1. add butter, sugar & vanilla & beat

2. add eggs & beat

3. add flour & milk until combined

4. bake 45 mins to 1 hour 180C

I love this cake, it seems old-fashioned and simple to me…it’s plain but somehow luxurious, plus it fills the house with the most delicious scent of home, which in fact wafts down the street when your kiddos are on the way home from school…this is not just comfort food, this is comfort cooking, at its best..

It brings with it an almost denseness…and a thick buttery cakey taste…this is not your culinary expert’s perfectly honed, light as air, picture book sponge…this is cake for eating for with tea on the deck, after a morning down the beach, this is cake for snuggling with a cup of tea in the afternoon…

But equally this works, indeed because of its plain and simpleness, as a Bake & Take…just throw around some thick cream and a few raspberries, some mango or the like, and Bob, my friend, is your uncle…

That’s it from me for today…I am going out to check on the deck progress (going well but no paint as of yet) and I am going out hammock-hunting later…I have a voucher to spend from my birthday and after I wore the other hammock thin, have decided a new one is in order

Happy Monday

find more Beach Cottage Too Easy Recipes here, the most delicious & easy Carrot Cupcakes here, and Margaret Fulton Beach Cottage Cupcakes are sitting in their glory right here

20111107-07-Butter-Cake-Recipe-IMG_7506

35 Responses to “Beach Cottage Too Easy Recipe ~ Go To Butter Cake”

1. Beth says:

Hi Sarah, another great recipe thank you. On Saturday, my girl and I made those chocolate butterfly cakes that you posted about last week and they were deliciously light and just a little bit moreish! We just about managed to keep a few to take to the beach yesterday.
    Have a great week and hope the deck is going well.
    x

2. Nadine says:

Yay, another recipe! I love that your recipes are SUPER easy! I don’t mind baking myself, I absolutely love my scales. ;) What I really appreciate are your dinner recipes – I made the crockpot ‘burger’ mince twice last week!! I need more crockpot confidence . .

Hi Nadine

happy to hear you like the recipes….crock pot Forty Garlic Chicken is super super easy…really you have to put it in there and leave it…I use it all the time, perfect if you are a busy gal and have had great feedback on how tasty it is

here’s the link…

this is on my menu most weeks, best thing is using the bones etc for stock so it’s super budget friendly

xo

• Nadine says:

I will definitely give it a go. I’m good at roast chicken in the oven, but I find myself working late quite a bit these days, so the crockpot needs to earn its keep! I’m going to try it with potatoes for the bottom layer.

• Deanne says:

I’d second that, we love 40 garlic chicken and it is now the only way I cook chicken!

• Peggy says:

I can hardly wait to try out ALL your chicken recipes! We haven’t eaten poultry in our home as my husband tested positive on his allergy test 18 years ago… fast forward to last Thursday where he went in for allergy testing once again and…. he is NOT allergic to poultry or any foods any longer!! (he is allergic to virtually all the trees in our area as well as pollens but that is a much easier fix!!)

So we are eating chicken again and LOVING it!

3. Treasia says:

Easy peasy is my way to bake anymore. That looks delicious and reminds me of my grandmothers and mothers cakes. We used to make those from scratch (like you) and then pour strawberries and whipped cream over them. Oh so yummy.

4. Suzanne says:

Yep i will try this one too!! I can also give the Forty Garlic Chicken the big yes tick it is DELICIOUS!!
    I Like the colour of your t-shirt where did you find it?? It is so summery!!

5. Susan says:

I love your recipes…… goodness knows what I will do for dinner if you have run out of great meals to share…..

xx

Another one to try, thanks Sarah. I love easy recepies!

7. zoe wilms says:

Hi Sarah,did you see the silicone cupcake thingys at Ikea on your recent trip. Made your cupcakes in them, and they looked so cute, tasted great too. I think you should publish a cookbook for those of us that want easy peasy recipes that we dont have to slave over. Love the blog. x zoe

8. sarah says:

hey thanks Zoe

I did see them, but I didn’t get any…I will be on my next visit :-)

Sarh

9. Melissa says:

You have inspired me!! Butter cake in the oven already! Thank you for your easy recipes! My fav is chicken tortilla soup. Delicious!

10. Mrs Bok says:

That sounds like a cake I could bake or rather a cake I could scoff whole! I love butter cake. Your pics are always so dreamy to look at!

11. morning sarah-

i love that i come to your recipes mid morning for me- but when some of your readers have already hit evening- and already given your recipes a go!

i’m loving these afternoon tea ones – am going to put this on after i post on my blog this morning- ready for the three hungry monsters this arvo…

love your cake stand- i don’t remember seeing that in any of your recipe styling- where is that from?

is it square??

Melissa :)

12. Zosia says:

Great recipe and great photos as usual. As for the silicone baking thingy, I am not a great fun of plastic/silicone food containers, especially those that need to be heated up. I always imagine all those chemicals being emitted and seeping into my food during the process of heating.

13. melissa says:

Good Morning Sarah,
    Your berry muffin recipes is already a go to of mine, and I am sooo making this cake today! My little ones like to “help out” in the kitchen, and this easy cake will keep things simple! Right up my alley!!
    Thanks again,
    Melissa

Melissa, this is purrfect for little ones…cos you can just stir it all in a big mixing bowl with their help and then plop it in the tin with their help too…x

14. Barefoot Liz says:

Mmm. Now I want cake. And garlic chicken. Then more cake.

15. IAMSNWFLAKE says:

I love these easy, no fuss about recipes. I’ll try it next time my friends come over for coffee. It looks like it would be easy to cut in layers and fill with strawberries or dulce de leche (an undiscussed favorite around here).

16. Sandy says:

thanks for sharing all of your receipe’s… as usual “amazing”… just an fyi, I did a bedroom makeover…and your bedroom was my inspiration~ there it was on your page and ” I admit it” i was star struck with that room. I don’t live on a beach… but, now i feel as if i am sleeping “in a little cottage by the beach”..thanks sarah.

17. lg says:

I made this last night. Everyone was very suspicious of mummy making an unscheduled cake in the middle of the week with no birthday in sight, but the verdict was – YUMMY!!!!! oooh the buttery goodness……….

18. Marnie says:

Thanks Sarah, will be trying this recipe very soon.
    x Marnie

19. mmmm this looks divine. I am definately going to have a go at this.
    I love your big mixing bowl too
    xx

20. Jeannie-JB says:

The cake sounds yummy and I know it is, but you know what really grabs me? Your white mixing bowl and measuring cup and the cake plate! Love ‘em!

21. the freckled minx says:

I made this today for afternoon tea – look and smells super yummy. I did get an over powering urge to throw in a handful of sultanas. Now I can’t wait until everyone is home to try a slice…..B:)

22. Shayna says:

Side note, but I love your mixing bowls!