Beach Cottage Tutorial Coastal Mason Jar Nautical Decor Craft

Thu 27th, Oct, 2011

556 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 553 Buffer 3 556 Flares ×

20111027-01-beach-cottage-decorating-coastal-nautical
G’day!

I have a little Coastal Tutorial for you today…and easy way to get nautical….I have been wanting to change out my coffee table for a while…and get a tiny bit crafty at the same time…coastal crafting?

Hmmm, yep, sounds good.. So I often get emails asking how can I get nautical / coastal in my decorating together with a bit of vintage, and shabby and chic but without it getting too coastal/cheesy, especially when one is about a million miles from the sea? 20111027-02-beach-cottage-tablescaping

Well, I think this is one of the ways to get nautical in your cottage….keep it simple with a nod to the coastal thing but add in what makes your cottage…you.

I guess that is the secret to any decorating though, nautical, coastal or not…just to get a look that suits you and makes you feel happy & comfortable at the end of the day when you plop down on the sofa ;-) For a nice bit of coastal tablescaping, you certainly do not need to spend a lot of money, in fact most can shop the house for this, or do it by thrifting.

You will need :

old bottles

mason jars

20111027-03-IMG_9954

a couple of books

sand

shells

20111027-04-IMG_9962 20111027-05-IMG_9964

driftwood

strips of fabric

string

20111027-06-IMG_9966

So it’s pretty easy…

20111027-07-beach-cottage-nautical-coastal-table-decorating

1. take your fabric and string and tie it around one or two of the bottles for texture

2. add sand and shells in layers to one of the mason jars

3. add shells/driftwoo to jars

4. add a couple of books to give some height and interest

5. throw in a flower for life

6. layer ‘em up baby

but there’s something missing?

a starfish ;-)

20111027-08-beach-cottage-starfish-decorating

tips to success with decorating with shells I think is to use big ones together….it gives a bit nautical /coastal hit but without too much fussiness which sometimes happens if you try to display smaller shells

20111027-09-beach-cottage-mason-jar-coastal-decorating

or gather the small ones up & clump together..

plus make interesting layers & textures….with different colours & shapes

texture is nautical gone rustic!

20111027-10-beach-cottage-nautical-decorating

there’s always room for some lavender in my world…

20111027-11-beach-cottage-coastal-style

20111027-12-beach-cottage-coastal-decorating

So that’s what I’ve been up to this morning, pretty pleased with it too…love it when that happens   20111027-02-beach-cottage-tablescaping OK ladies, see you tomorrow… Yours in coastal nautical and cottage things

nautical

find more Coastal Nautical Cottage DIY ideas here 20111027-13-beach-cottage-nautical-vintage-furniture

bus blind from Poulier & Poulier here

check out Waterside Cottages by Barbara Jacksier here…the book with the beautiful jacket colour on my coffee table :-)

20111027-14-beach-nautical-cottage-coastal-decorating

26 Responses to “Beach Cottage Tutorial Coastal Mason Jar Nautical Decor Craft”

lol, checking out the book was the first thing I did! Love your work like always :)

2. Carli says:

Inspiring. Love it!

3. I love the coastal look! Thanks for the inspiration!

4. hmmm… I normally keep dry food in similar jars in my cupboard and I can’t believe that I’ve never thought to fill them with sand and shells, etc. for decorating! Yours look so carefree and beautiful. Just might have to get creative with mine tomorrow… and find some new storage for my food. Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Mimi says:

Just lovely! Mimi xx

6. Esther says:

Nice and enjoying the more frequent posts!

7. Rukmini Roy says:

As usual, love it…and Im quite fond of aqua, you just intensified it. Lovely.
    I love the book addition as well as the throw. If I’m ever in Australia, I will shamelessly invite myself over to yours just to have a glimpse of your cottage. You might have an intruder, you have been warned :)

8. So so pretty, but how DOES that work with kids careering around?!! Yours must be calmer than mine!:)

9. Jacqui says:

I love your beach cottage look, especially the white suitcase under the table. Lovely post.

10. I know that you didn’t mean it for kiddos but my daughter would LOVE to spend sometime making an ocean in a bottle :)

11. Lovin’ it! Can’t wait to hear the story behind the blue throw.

12. Kathy says:

simply spendid

13. Oh, this makes me miss the beach! All the shells, jars, etc. Love everything in the room! And the hidden suitcase – I am going to have to do that!

14. I love all your images, this is such a gorgeous pretty site! It was lovely to meet you the other day :) I have lavender growing in my garden, it is one of my favourite flower/herbs :)

15. Diana says:

I started following your blog awhile back and I promote it on my blogroll. I started a decor blog just over a month ago. I hope you will check it out and, if you like it, please follow me to.

Blessings,
    Diana

16. Tammi says:

Love the simplicity of this collection and I must say I am loving the hint of aqua that you are starting to use. That scarf drapped over the back of your sofa is gorgeous!!

17. HRH Sarah says:

Lovin’ the beach cottage jars of shells, etc… Preparing to go into winter here, not looking forward to dreary days- maybe I should whip up some beachy mason jars for a distraction! Your table is gorgeous, as always, thanks Sarah

18. Roberta says:

Pretty Sarah! And my cottage is in ‘Waterside Cottages’ on page 62. Of course it’s been changed up quite a bit now:) Thanks for the tutorial. Sweeeet! xo Roberta